IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags flat earth , flat earthers

Old 7th December 2017, 04:34 PM   #521
HSienzant
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
What it is that's supposed to be accelerating us? And how does one consolidate this with the supposed unmoving Earth at the centre of the universe? For a start that would mean that the entire universe is being accelerated upwards at 9.8m/s2 which considering that just the part of it we can see has a mass of about 1.5 x 1053 kg we are talking about absolutely extraordinary amounts of energy being required to achieve this. Where is it all coming from?
Short answer: God.

Hank

Hanks ”method” [of requesting evidence] is not going to [get me to] provide any evidence since it has a completely different purpose. To create the the illusion of me not providing evidence when requested to do so.
- Manifesto
HSienzant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 04:38 PM   #522
HSienzant
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Not only that, but how do you define "up" in space?
In the direction of the ceiling and the sky, relative to Daniel.

Remember that in disputing gravity, Daniel claimed he stepped off the chair and onto the floor. He gave not a thought as to what that implied.

Hank

Hanks ”method” [of requesting evidence] is not going to [get me to] provide any evidence since it has a completely different purpose. To create the the illusion of me not providing evidence when requested to do so.
- Manifesto
HSienzant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 05:35 PM   #523
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
What it is that's supposed to be accelerating us? And how does one consolidate this with the supposed unmoving Earth at the centre of the universe? For a start that would mean that the entire universe is being accelerated upwards at 9.8m/s2 which considering that just the part of it we can see has a mass of about 1.5 x 1053 kg we are talking about absolutely extraordinary amounts of energy being required to achieve this. Where is it all coming from?
you are making the mistake by assuming that their physical model of the universe is the same as the generally accept model of reality.

In order for their universe to make sense, they need to invent a whole new model of reality by reinventing physics starting from about 400 years ago, that explains all the natural phenomena that current physics explains . After all wasn't Danial, sorry, Daniel suggesting Gravity doesn't exist?

It is kinda impossible to argue rationally with a bunch of people who deny reality, at least in attempting to win the argument with them. Of course you can win the argument for other people that are listening, but I can't imagine there are very many fence sitters on this one.

We can be stupid Apes sometimes. I predict it will take at least another 100,000 years before we can completely shed our irrationality and tribe mentality born of fear, greed, narcissism and ignorance.

Let's face it, as a race we are probably quite capable (technically speaking) of ensuring that no one is starving or without water globally right now, but we wont. There is a whole conversation here regarding free speech, freedom of expression and fake news. Flat Earthers are presumably pretty benign and society allows them to perform their stupidity out in the open. But of course we have other organizations that really on the face of it have equally silly ideas (virgin birth, cracker turning into the body of their savior, resurrection etc etc etc) who's dogma has much darker implications.

Last edited by BadBoy; 7th December 2017 at 05:45 PM.
BadBoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 12:16 AM   #524
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Would acceleration in a vacuum give the appearance of gravity? I mean, when they fired the booster rockets on the Apollo missions, did all the astronauts end up pinned to the back wall?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 12:29 AM   #525
Octavo
Illuminator

Would acceleration in a vacuum give the appearance of gravity? I mean, when they fired the booster rockets on the Apollo missions, did all the astronauts end up pinned to the back wall?
Yes and not quite. The impulse provided in space is typically fractions of a g.

You can watch videos of things floating slowly towards the walls during iss boosts. Will look for a link.

ETA: https://youtu.be/u4ggQdkTcLo

Last edited by Octavo; 8th December 2017 at 12:30 AM.
Octavo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 01:02 AM   #526
davefoc
Philosopher

What is the flat earth theory with regard to the fact that the sizes of southern land masses are much larger that are shown on a flat earth map than they are generally known to be? Have all the pilots that fly over Australia hidden the fact that Australia is about twice as wide on a flat Earth maps as it is normally reported to be? They also seem to be failing to notice that the shape of Australia as shown on a flat Earth map is much different than the shape of Australia shown in normal maps.

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 02:07 AM   #527
threadworm
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
What is the flat earth theory with regard to the fact that the sizes of southern land masses are much larger that are shown on a flat earth map than they are generally known to be? Have all the pilots that fly over Australia hidden the fact that Australia is about twice as wide on a flat Earth maps as it is normally reported to be? They also seem to be failing to notice that the shape of Australia as shown on a flat Earth map is much different than the shape of Australia shown in normal maps.
"Quick, look over there, unicorns" about covers it.

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 02:24 AM   #528
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Would acceleration in a vacuum give the appearance of gravity?
Depends. If you accept the postulates of General Relativity, then yes. If you don't accept them, have you ever used satnav?

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 11:01 AM   #529
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

The actual existence of Australia is not a given to some of these folks, much less its shape. Of course, the only evidence of Australia they've ever experienced first hand is Fosters, so don't be too hard on them.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 02:01 PM   #530
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
The actual existence of Australia is not a given to some of these folks, much less its shape. Of course, the only evidence of Australia they've ever experienced first hand is Fosters, so don't be too hard on them.
They are not following the cricket Ashes series 'down under' lately? Sciency types should know better!

p.s. Daniel doesn't believe a word of what he's typing. This kind of thing is a hobby for some people.
Old 8th December 2017, 09:04 PM   #531
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I don't think they give a XXXX
Old 8th December 2017, 10:02 PM   #532
davefoc
Philosopher

I'm not Daniel but I think the basic idea is that the Sun moves around the flat earth illuminating different parts as it passes over them. The only way that I can see remotely how this would work is if the Sun is like a flood light. If it's a big bright ball the transition from dark to light would be gradual and everybody on earth would always be able to see the sun albeit glowing dimly.

A problem with the flood light idea is that it seems like you'd see the dark side of the Sun. (Not that this is the only problem with the idea http://www.internationalskeptics.com...cons/icon7.gif)

ETA: In thinking about this a bit more, the flood light needs to produce a pattern that illuminates about half the earth and it rotates around a point that the north pole is continuously illuminated for half the year and in the dark for the other half of the year. But I don't understand something here because I can't see how to produce the seasons. But the sun flood light already needs to be pretty trick since it needs to vary the illumination so that the areas near the edge get as much light as the areas directly under the Sun. So I think what is required here is an arduino processor to carefully control the flood lamp output to make it so that every part of the earth gets the amount of illumination appropriate for the season.
Ugh, I just realized that there is a major hole in my model. The sun is high in the sky in the northern hemisphere and low in the sky in the southern hemisphere when it is summer in the northern hemisphere and winter in the southern hemisphere. How can this be accomplished with a flat earth?

davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 10:39 PM   #533
Octavo
Illuminator

Posted without comment.
Old 8th December 2017, 10:50 PM   #534
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Octavo View Post

Old 9th December 2017, 08:20 AM   #535
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
Well, that's the rub of it Octavo, though not what flat Earther's fear but what the heck would all the spherical conspirators fear if the Earth were in fact flat? As far as conspiracy theories go, the flat Earth has to be the lamest. Heck, it doesn't even rise to the level of a Scooby Doo plot. At least there the perpetrator has some reason for the hoax. Forget assassinations, shape shifting reptilian aliens, clandestine and ancient societies controlling the fate of the world, fluoridation of water sapping and impurifying ones precious bodily fluids, false flag attacks, super secret suppressed technology, forget all that. Oooohhhh nooooos the great and terrible secret that must be protected at all costs is simply the geometrical shape of the Earth?!?!
Old 9th December 2017, 09:57 AM   #536
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Well, that's the rub of it Octavo, though not what flat Earther's fear but what the heck would all the spherical conspirators fear if the Earth were in fact flat? As far as conspiracy theories go, the flat Earth has to be the lamest. Heck, it doesn't even rise to the level of a Scooby Doo plot. At least there the perpetrator has some reason for the hoax. Forget assassinations, shape shifting reptilian aliens, clandestine and ancient societies controlling the fate of the world, fluoridation of water sapping and impurifying ones precious bodily fluids, false flag attacks, super secret suppressed technology, forget all that. Oooohhhh nooooos the great and terrible secret that must be protected at all costs is simply the geometrical shape of the Earth?!?!
It's a conspiracy to make people think they aren't central to the universe.

Because reasons.
Old 9th December 2017, 12:17 PM   #537
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
It's a conspiracy to make people think they aren't central to the universe.

Because reasons.
See, and that's why it doesn't even rise to the level of a Scooby Doo plot. As there is no reason why the geometrical shape of the Earth would either make people be or preclude them from being central to the universe.

It's like the villain pretending to be a ghost to scare people away from a haunted hayride. It's not the shape of the Earth that would make people central or not, it is the people and the nature of universe that would. Just as it is not the one pretend ghost that makes the hayride haunted but the whole she-bang and the very intent of the hayride.
Old 9th December 2017, 12:50 PM   #538
calebprime
Penultimate Amazing

I thought the point of the exercise was to show the sciency types that they don't really know as much as they think, that they're just parroting formulas. If you can make these hard-headed types doubt their certainty about the shape of the earth, then you can begin to show what a house of cards is evolution or something -- something you really care about because of prior religious beliefs.

The sophist poster in question is certainly not a typical educated intellectual, what with the characteristic spelling mistakes and the narrow focus on "debate", as if things could be decided by contest.
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 02:02 PM   #539
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
I thought the point of the exercise was to show the sciency types that they don't really know as much as they think, that they're just parroting formulas.
Problem is, this is not what they are showing. They pick up some strawman claim and try to force people to prove it to them, but none of these claims are the proof of the shape of the Earth. They are, at best, attempts of falsification, but they really turn out to be arguments from incredulity.

Quote:
If you can make these hard-headed types doubt their certainty about the shape of the earth, then you can begin to show what a house of cards is evolution or something -- something you really care about because of prior religious beliefs.
Fine, but then they should aim at weakening the REAL arguments for the shape of Earth (and it's position in the universe), rather than lame claims about missile ranges, uneducated claims about what they think being part of a system in motion means, and, really the most stupid, trying to deny the obvious existence of pressure gradients.

Quote:
The sophist poster in question is certainly not a typical educated intellectual, what with the characteristic spelling mistakes and the narrow focus on "debate", as if things could be decided by contest.
Ya. What is commonly known as 'trolling'.

Hans
Old 10th December 2017, 10:06 PM   #540
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Do they ever try to debunk Eratosthenes' proof of the round earth (and his calculation of its circumference)?

I suppose it would not be surprising if flat earthers tend to be math illiterate, but a math crank who's also a flat earther would surely take a whack at it.

ETA: Never mind, I can google "eratosthenes debunked".

Last edited by phiwum; 10th December 2017 at 10:07 PM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2017, 11:31 PM   #541
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Do they ever try to debunk Eratosthenes' proof of the round earth (and his calculation of its circumference)?

I suppose it would not be surprising if flat earthers tend to be math illiterate, but a math crank who's also a flat earther would surely take a whack at it.

ETA: Never mind, I can google "eratosthenes debunked".
This is an interesting question. Since there are weird videos and sites on this all over the place I'd expect you'll find something.

It is interesting on other levels as well. Pursuing something like this would be exactly the kind of thing a person might do if they really were trying to establish their hypothesis of a flat earth and they were introspective enough to overcome their confirmation biases with regard to biblical infallibility and they were mentally astute enough to understand the geometry.

I wonder how a flat earther might react to this image:

No careful understanding of the geometrical understanding of the Eratosthenes estimate of the circumference of the earth is necessary. The round earth model makes one set of predictions about the size of geographical features and the flat earth model makes another.

Old 11th December 2017, 02:43 AM   #542
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

This is an interesting question. Since there are weird videos and sites on this all over the place I'd expect you'll find something.

It is interesting on other levels as well. Pursuing something like this would be exactly the kind of thing a person might do if they really were trying to establish their hypothesis of a flat earth and they were introspective enough to overcome their confirmation biases with regard to biblical infallibility and they were mentally astute enough to understand the geometry.

I wonder how a flat earther might react to this image:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...e2405bccef.jpg

No careful understanding of the geometrical understanding of the Eratosthenes estimate of the circumference of the earth is necessary. The round earth model makes one set of predictions about the size of geographical features and the flat earth model makes another.
Australia is a hoax.

Hans
Old 11th December 2017, 03:14 AM   #543
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Australia is a hoax.

Hans
It’s true.
I was born there

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2017, 03:27 AM   #544
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

What we could do is present a little challenge to flat-earthers:

If the sun is much smaller and closer to Earth than claimed by astronomers, it should be no great feat to calculate it's size and position. All we need is a bit of triangulation.

Here are some solar heights that will occur on March 20 2018 at noon in Eastern USA (I have picked a future date, in case someone would like to prepare to verify the observation. It is on the spring equinox):

The places are approximately on a North-South line.

Miami: Elevation 63.84 degrees.
Atlanta: Elevation 56.09 degrees.
Toronto: Elevation 45.65 degrees.

And the apparent width of the sun is 0.53 degrees in all cases.

Since, no matter what or where the sun is, it can only be in one place at a time, these three lines, when plotted from the surface of Earth should cross in one place.

Challenge: Based on a flat Earth, (straight baseline) plot these sun directions and establish the position of the sun on a north-south line. Then calculate its actual diameter.

Show your work.

Hans
Old 11th December 2017, 04:42 AM   #545
Didactylos
Scholar

Location: East of the sun, west of the moon, first left turn past the trailer park...
Don't know if this has been posted yet ...

You shouldn't just summarily dismiss The Flat Earth Society. It has members all over the globe! :-)
Didactylos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2017, 08:03 AM   #546
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Didactylos View Post
Don't know if this has been posted yet ...

You shouldn't just summarily dismiss The Flat Earth Society. It has members all over the globe! :-)
http://instantrimshot.com

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2017, 08:11 AM   #547
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Mt. Rainier casting a shadow during a sunset

Explain THAT Flat-Earthers
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2017, 08:14 AM   #548
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Old 11th December 2017, 11:17 AM   #549
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Wow! The cosmic egg takes flat earth to a whole different level, this is just a massive mangled mess of jibberish he's compiled from random stuff that's fallen into his head.

He's made a nice model though which he explains maybe around the 20 minute mark and puts the whole model together at around 30 mins.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=305s&v=2PJ1_uKGLVM

Last edited by alexi_drago; 11th December 2017 at 11:46 AM.
alexi_drago is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2017, 12:08 PM   #550
threadworm
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
I had one of them claim that this photo was only possible on a flat Earth.

I made this for him:

Never got a reply.

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2017, 01:08 PM   #551
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by threadworm View Post

I made this for him:

https://i.imgur.com/PwnwL7P.jpg

Never got a reply.
Well played. Very well played.
Old 11th December 2017, 02:36 PM   #552
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Welp, I'm convinced!
Old 11th December 2017, 06:29 PM   #553
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Old 11th December 2017, 09:15 PM   #554
Reactor drone
Graduate Poster

I made this for him:

Never got a reply.
Is that the flat sky theory?

Reactor drone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 12:37 PM   #555
Daniel
Muse

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post

So since you can only "Whistle Past the Graveyard" by the NATO SEA Sparrow (Which "Debunks" the Spinning-Ball Religion by itself), Now it's time to Red Herring Fallacy your way into another Trainwreck? ...

Eratosthenes (The Librarian)?? Alrighty then...

"The references to Eratosthenes comes mainly from Strabo, Pliny, and Cleomedes, and here we will firstly repeat those testaments of Pliny and Cleomedes so that the reader has the information at hand, and then we will proceed to examine this story in order to show why it is in reality FALSE that Eratosthenes was the first to know this method of calculating the Earth’s circumference, and that it is also FALSE to say that he conducted an experiment based on the method itself. ... As we will see, the astronomical calculation itself shows that according to 'Eratosthenes’ information (copied from Cleomedes and Strabo) it is IMPOSSIBLE that he carried out *AN ACTUAL SCIENTIFIC EXPERIMENT* according to the method described..."
http://www.academia.edu/27928173/How...y_Eratosthenes

KaBooM!!

If you disagree , then Please Post the "Scientific Evidence" from Eratosthenes...

a. What Phenomenon was Observed...?
b. Post the Formal Scientific Hypothesis then EXPERIMENT that validates his claim...?
c. Highlight the "Independent Variable" that was used in the TEST...?
d. Post the Null Hypothesis that was Rejected/Falsified...?

fyi: It'd be easier Resurrecting Alexander The Great's Horse than answering these simple questions.

1. "Equations" are NOT "Scientific Evidence".

2. According to the Heliocentric (Sun Worshiping) Spinning-Ball Religion, the sun is 93 million miles away (); Therefore by definition, all Light Rays from the Sun that contact the Earth/Moon MUST BE "PARALLEL".

Say Goodnight...

a. So according to 'The Narrative' (aka: Fairytale) we have the 'purported' Penumbra (Caused by 'Convergent' Sun Rays) vs Eratosthenes ('Parallel' Sun Rays).
Y'all Stage 5 Cling with a Kung Fu Death Grip to Eratosthenes Trainwreck (Which btw, was Independently Falsified unwittingly by Cleomedes six ways from Sunday and common sense) yet at the same time Mindlessly PARROT "B' gAAK... Penumbra !!"??

See the Contradiction? (Rhetorical at this point)

Listen Closely, according to your Fairytale...Every Photon that hits the Earth/Moon MUST -- by simple geometry and definition, be traveling at a Dead "Balls On" 90.00000000000000000000 degrees from ANY point on the surface of the Sun to it's straight line sister location on either the Earth/Moon.
If a Photon is fired at </> 90.00000000000000000000 degrees from any point on the surface of the sun to its straight line sister location from 93 MILLION MILES AWAY ...then it will MISS the Earth/Moon by Hundreds of Thousands to Million of MILES !!!!

Ya Follow? (Again Rhetorical)

They ('Convergent' Sun Rays vs 'Parallel' Sun Rays) are "Mutually Exclusive".

So, Errr...you have to pick one.

Which is it Spinning-Ball Religioners??

ps. If you haven't realized it by now, and by the responses in this thread... You Haven't , that... no matter the choice you make: You're Screwed

regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 12:50 PM   #556
Daniel
Muse

Here's a definition of pressure:
Pressure is an expression of force exerted on a surface per unit area.

It's from this site: http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/pressure

It doesn't use the word container. You seem to believe because you found a definition of pressure that uses the word container a container is necessary for pressure to exist.

Incoherent Straw Man Fallacy. The Argument is "GAS PRESSURE" as in: Atmospheric Pressure ... Not "Shark Bite Pressure". lol

smh

ps. Anything on the NATO Sea Sparrow, per adventure??
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 01:07 PM   #557
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
<<SNIP>>
What happens when you get to Augustine of Hippo?

I know ...I know... You'll just misquote him ...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 01:09 PM   #558
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

So since you can only "Whistle Past the Graveyard" by the NATO SEA Sparrow (Which "Debunks" the Spinning-Ball Religion by itself),
Ahh, thought you could resist returning.

Sea sparrow, in short: Line of sight, ground to air. Maximum range is something different. Information is unclassified part, hence incomplete.

Next.

Quote:
Now it's time to Red Herring Fallacy your way into another Trainwreck? ...

"The references to Eratosthenes comes mainly from Strabo, Pliny, and Cleomedes, and here we will firstly repeat those testaments of Pliny and Cleomedes so that the reader has the information at hand, and then we will proceed to examine this story in order to show why it is in reality FALSE that Eratosthenes was the first to know this method of calculating the Earth’s circumference, and that it is also FALSE to say that he conducted an experiment based on the method itself. ... As we will see, the astronomical calculation itself shows that according to 'Eratosthenes’ information (copied from Cleomedes and Strabo) it is IMPOSSIBLE that he carried out *AN ACTUAL SCIENTIFIC EXPERIMENT* according to the method described..."

KaBooM!!
Experiment repeateable to everyone. Sun height differs with altitude. Triangulation is impossible based on a flat surface.

Quote:
If you disagree , then Please Post the "Scientific Evidence" from Eratosthenes...
No, sorry Daniel. Burden of proof is yours. Challenge:

Based on sun heights from at least there different latitudes, calculate the position of the sun.

You may use almanac data. Show your work.

Quote:

2. According to the Heliocentric (Sun Worshiping) Spinning-Ball Religion, the sun is 93 million miles away (); Therefore by definition, all Light Rays from the Sun that contact the Earth/Moon MUST BE "PARALLEL".

Say Goodnight...

a. So according to 'The Narrative' (aka: Fairytale) we have the 'purported' Penumbra (Caused by 'Convergent' Sun Rays) vs Eratosthenes ('Parallel' Sun Rays).
Y'all Stage 5 Cling with a Kung Fu Death Grip to Eratosthenes Trainwreck (Which btw, was Independently Falsified unwittingly by Cleomedes six ways from Sunday and common sense) yet at the same time Mindlessly PARROT "B' gAAK... Penumbra !!"??

No, sorry. Too much bluster. State your exact finding. Show your work.

Quote:
Listen Closely, according to your Fairytale...Every Photon that hits the Earth/Moon MUST -- by simple geometry and definition, be traveling at a Dead "Balls On" 90.00000000000000000000 degrees from ANY point on the surface of the Sun to it's straight line sister location on either the Earth/Moon.
If a Photon is fired at </> 90.00000000000000000000 degrees from any point on the surface of the sun to its straight line sister location from 93 MILLION MILES AWAY ...then it will MISS the Earth/Moon by Hundreds of Thousands to Million of MILES !!!!
Mmm, no. Strawman. I have a revelation for you: Rays from the sun are not entirely parallel. Since the disk of the sun is approximately .5 degrees wide, they are only parallel within ... .5 degrees.

Quote:
Ya, professor, you got it. One step up from "for dummies" level, congratulations: Parallel within .5 degrees. Good fer ya, ya figured it out, now apply that to the rest and ya'll be enlightened.

Hans

PS: Hey this style is fun. I can even do without the highlights and capitals.
Old 17th December 2017, 01:16 PM   #559
Elagabalus
Philosopher

I made this for him:

Never got a reply.
'Cept that ain't Mt. Rainier! It's obviously the Matterhorn! And what's it doing on top of an icosahedron? I thought the Earth was an Oblate Spheroid? Checkmate, globalists!!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 02:06 PM   #560
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

So since you can only "Whistle Past the Graveyard" by the NATO SEA Sparrow (Which "Debunks" the Spinning-Ball Religion by itself), Now it's time to Red Herring Fallacy your way into another Trainwreck? ...
Nope, a guided missile, even one limited by line of site, demonstrates ("Debunks") no such thing. It's one of the reasons why the missile is, well, guided to the target.

KaBooM!!

a. What Phenomenon was Observed...?
b. Post the Formal Scientific Hypothesis then EXPERIMENT that validates his claim...?
c. Highlight the "Independent Variable" that was used in the TEST...?
d. Post the Null Hypothesis that was Rejected/Falsified...?

fyi: It'd be easier Resurrecting Alexander The Great's Horse than answering these simple questions.

Say Goodnight...

Ya Follow? (Again Rhetorical)

So, Errr...you have to pick one.

Which is it Spinning-Ball Religioners??

ps. If you haven't realized it by now, and by the responses in this thread... You Haven't , that... no matter the choice you make: You're Screwed

regards
Nope, significantly different regions of the Earth can be illuminated by very similar locations on the sun.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/...ra-shadow.html

Thus the rays can be close to parallel without being parallel. The question then comes how dependent are the results on the rays being exactly parallel. Based on MRC_Hans post at just 0.5 degrees of arc that would account for just about 7% of the 7°12' arc difference calculated.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories