IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags flat earth , flat earthers

Old 17th December 2017, 03:07 PM   #561
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Man View Post

Thus the rays can be close to parallel without being parallel. The question then comes how dependent are the results on the rays being exactly parallel. Based on MRC_Hans post at just 0.5 degrees of arc that would account for just about 7% of the 7°12' arc difference calculated.
The sun exhibits what is called "black body radiation". A little counter-intuitive, but remember, this is a very HOT black body. Every spot in the sun radiates an equal amount of energy in all directions. Thus, every spot of the (visible) surface of the sun radiates energy both at the Earth and the Moon. The reason we consider the rays parallel is only that the sun is so far away.

Hans
Old 17th December 2017, 03:30 PM   #562
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
The sun exhibits what is called "black body radiation". A little counter-intuitive, but remember, this is a very HOT black body. Every spot in the sun radiates an equal amount of energy in all directions. Thus, every spot of the (visible) surface of the sun radiates energy both at the Earth and the Moon. The reason we consider the rays parallel is only that the sun is so far away.

Hans
Right, but even Sirius, some 8.6 light years away, has a detectable angular size.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanbur...d_Twiss_effect

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_diameter

Quote:
Thus the angular diameter of the Sun is about 250,000 times that of Sirius (Sirius has twice the diameter and its distance is 500,000 times as much; the Sun is 1010 times as bright, corresponding to an angular diameter ratio of 105, so Sirius is roughly 6 times as bright per unit solid angle).
Old 17th December 2017, 04:48 PM   #563
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Daniel View Post

Incoherent Straw Man Fallacy. The Argument is "GAS PRESSURE" as in: Atmospheric Pressure ... Not "Shark Bite Pressure". lol

smh

ps. Anything on the NATO Sea Sparrow, per adventure??
No, seriously. Why is it that when I'm say, Virginia or Florida, I can't see the Southern Cross but when I fly to South Africa and/or Botswana I can?

On the. Topic of Sea Sparrows, you know there's a standard computation for terrain masking by curvature of the earth right? We used to have a template to draw on the chart but now the computers just figure it out for you.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 05:11 PM   #564
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Quote:
No, seriously. Why is it that when I'm say, Virginia or Florida, I can't see the Southern Cross but when I fly to South Africa and/or Botswana I can?
And why does it rotate around a fixed point that isn't Polaris? And why can it be seen when looking south from south Africa and Australia simultaneously?

Last edited by alexi_drago; 17th December 2017 at 05:14 PM.
alexi_drago is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 05:59 PM   #565
EHocking
Philosopher

Still avoiding your observations of compass behaviour I see.

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Quote:
EHocking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
That's Interesting, thanks for bringing it up. How in the World can a Compass work in the Southern Hemisphere on a Sphere ?? Wouldn't the needle be buried in the ring?
yes.
That is exactly what happens. The variation is up to 20o.

The needle of a compass that works in the SH is balanced differently than one that works in the NH, due to exactly this fact that the horizontal and vertical components of the earth's magnetic field vary considerably in different locations

The compass manufacturers use 5 global zones and 5 corresponding “magnetic balancing zones”.

You have correctly pointed out yet another Fact that demonstrates that the earth is a globe and not a platter.
Daniel?

Any thoughts on the fact that the compass needle weighted to work in the northern hemisphere would indeed "be buried in the ring" when used in the southern hemisphere?

It is your assertion that this would only happen on a global earth.
So do you have ANY explanation why, if by your assertion that this occurs only on a globe, that the earth is not a globe?

Or will you merely continue to ignore the phenomena that you have pointed out that is evidence (if not proof) of a spherical earth?

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 07:43 PM   #566
davefoc
Philosopher

Incoherent Straw Man Fallacy. The Argument is "GAS PRESSURE" as in: Atmospheric Pressure ... Not "Shark Bite Pressure". lol

smh
I've made a serious effort to understand what Daniel's point is with regard to the need for a container to explain atmospheric pressure. I have thought that at times I might have understood it a bit, but now it seems that I have no clue as to what he is talking about. He seems to agree that atmospheric pressure declines with altitude. Does anybody understand his theory beyond that a container is necessary for atmospheric pressure to exist?

Quote:
I haven't participated in this part of the discussion. I will defer to others on that. ETA: See LSSBB's post below for a response to what I understand your point to be.

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
He doesn't deny that we have air pressure on the Earth; he denies that there is vacuum anywhere else. He also accepts that air pressure varies with altitude, but won't take any notice of the suggestion that it might vary over several orders of magnitude; at that point he fringe resets, repeats the mantra and hurls abuse.

Dave
Dave Rogers took a shot at answering this question earlier in this thread, but I wasn't sure that this represented Daniel's ideas about this. If there was an atmosphere everyplace then why would a container be required to keep Earth's atmosphere from escaping?

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb

Last edited by davefoc; 17th December 2017 at 09:01 PM.
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 07:52 PM   #567
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

So since you can only "Whistle Past the Graveyard" by the NATO SEA Sparrow (Which "Debunks" the Spinning-Ball Religion by itself)
Your stupid Sea Sparrow point is dead, deceased, gone to meet it's maker, and is totally bereft of life. It's not even pining for the fjords.

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Easy.

Surface target? LOS is to the horizon and a little past.

Air target? LOS can be to 35 miles (plus some) depending on elevation.
No, because a target can be above the horizon and be line of sight, at 50 km. Self-declared victory by you negated
Your only reply was moving the goal posts to get a citation which mentioned the Sea Sparrow, as if Line Of Sight means something different for the Sea Sparrow. It doesn't. If it did, it's on you to find a definition of Line Of Sight specific to the Sea Sparrow only.

An air target can be 35 miles out and above the horizon. Still a valid target for Sea Sparrow. Surface target would be limited by the horizon and it is not the only kind of valid target.

Your continued clinging to this point long past it's expiration date only serves to expose for all a lack of openness to valid criticism on your part.

Last edited by LSSBB; 17th December 2017 at 08:18 PM.
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 08:04 PM   #568
davefoc
Philosopher

Hi Daniel, there has been a sub thread going on as to what the flat earth explanation is for the difference in the shape of Australia as it is normally believed to be and the flat earth theory about the shape of Australia. You'd think by now some airline pilot, Australian map maker, or just some Australian that happened to drive across Australia would have noticed that Australia is much wider than the maps show it to be.

Several people offered helpful ideas about what the explanation might be. A summary:
1. Unicorns
2. The existence of Australia is a hoax. Ehocking confirmed that Australia was a hoax because he was born there.
3. Fosters

Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
What is the flat earth theory with regard to the fact that the sizes of southern land masses are much larger that are shown on a flat earth map than they are generally known to be? Have all the pilots that fly over Australia hidden the fact that Australia is about twice as wide on a flat Earth maps as it is normally reported to be? They also seem to be failing to notice that the shape of Australia as shown on a flat Earth map is much different than the shape of Australia shown in normal maps.
Originally Posted by threadworm View Post
"Quick, look over there, unicorns" about covers it.
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
The actual existence of Australia is not a given to some of these folks, much less its shape. Of course, the only evidence of Australia they've ever experienced first hand is Fosters, so don't be too hard on them.
Originally Posted by davefoc View Post

I wonder how a flat earther might react to this image:
Australia is a hoax.

Hans
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
It’s true.
I was born there

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb

Last edited by davefoc; 17th December 2017 at 08:58 PM.
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 11:45 PM   #569
Lurch
Master Poster

I wonder what mental gymnastics a flattard would have to go through to retain his delusions if he were to spend a few days on ISS. How would he process:

- Earth perpetually spinning by beneath, the horizon remaining perpetually equidistant in all azimuths.

- The very perceptible curve of the Earth's limb, which moreover always presents as a parallel on a spherical surface with the observer at the center. As though one were instead *fixed in place above the center of a disk*, instead of flying along at 8 km/s.

- The Sun and stars wheeling by overhead, with Polaris oscillating between some 56 degrees up and 56 degrees down every orbit.

- The fact of familiar landmasses appearing over the horizon only when relatively nearby (on the scale of either a globe or a platter planet).

- The fact of the Sun radiating an unchanging incident intensity at all times when not dipping into the atmosphere.

To see these things occuring over a brief cycle of but 90 minutes should invoke *some* prodding against dogmatic belief that a surface-bound existence *might* be excused of fostering. We have quite a number of astronauts from several nations who can attest to direct witness, but I guess the flattards just discount them as deluded victims of a hoax, if not as outright liars.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 02:50 AM   #570
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

smh

Explain pressure gradients.

Hans
Old 18th December 2017, 03:09 AM   #571
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

He won't. He's following the standard woo pattern of thought:

(1) Adopt an utterly idiotic belief that contradicts a particular body of knowledge.
(2) Find a fact that, when carefully misinterpreted, can appear incompatible with that body of knowledge.
(3) Insist dogmatically that the misinterpretation is the only possible interpretation.
(4) Insist equally dogmatically that the misinterpreted fact refutes the entire body of knowledge.
(5) Insist that this proves that the idiotic belief is correct.
(6) Abuse anyone who points out the obvious flaws in this logic.

Don't be fooled into thinking that this process involves communication.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 03:18 AM   #572
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

(1) Adopt an utterly idiotic belief that contradicts a particular body of knowledge.
(2) Find a fact that, when carefully misinterpreted, can appear incompatible with that body of knowledge.
(3) Insist dogmatically that the misinterpretation is the only possible interpretation.
(4) Insist equally dogmatically that the misinterpreted fact refutes the entire body of knowledge.

Dave
Oh, I know. Still, I like to think that somewhere under that shield of noise is a little gnawing feeling he is making a fool of himself.

Hans
Old 18th December 2017, 05:58 AM   #573
HSienzant
Philosopher

Dave

Fits equally well all the JFK conspiracy theorists I've ever debated online in the past 25 years.

Hanks ”method” [of requesting evidence] is not going to [get me to] provide any evidence since it has a completely different purpose. To create the the illusion of me not providing evidence when requested to do so.
- Manifesto
HSienzant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 12:15 PM   #574
Daniel
Muse

Ahh, thought you could resist returning.

I was busy, tired of repeating myself, and answering Red Herring Fallacies.

Quote:
Sea sparrow, in short: Line of sight, ground to air. Maximum range is something different. Information is unclassified part, hence incomplete.

"The ESSM ANTI-SHIP MISSILE is powered by a high performance Mk 134 Mod 0 rocket motor dual-propellant propulsion system that develops high thrust. The motor can operate in temperatures ranging between -14°F to 133°F.
The propulsion system provides the missile with a speed of over Mach 4 and A RANGE OF MORE THAN 50km."
http://www.naval-technology.com/proj...-missile-essm/

And, are SHIPS in the Air?? lol

Quote:
Experiment repeateable to everyone.

That's NOT an Experiment, for goodness sakes. You'd "FAIL" 5th Grade General Science.

Quote:
Sun height differs with altitude.

Profound!! Does length differ with distance?

Quote:
Triangulation is impossible based on a flat surface.

Not with Plane Trig it's not.

Quote:
Challenge:

Based on sun heights from at least there different latitudes, calculate the position of the sun.

You may use almanac data. Show your work.

1. For what Purpose?
2. It's a Begging The Question Fallacy on Multiple Levels.

a. Look up "Apparent Sun".
b. 'Latitude and Longitude' is merely a Convention...i.e., they're NOT REAL.

Quote:
Mmm, no. Strawman.

Yes like Hydrogen is Straw Man to Water.

Quote:
I have a revelation for you: Rays from the sun are not entirely parallel.

I have a revelation for you...this can be reconciled by a Third Grader.

"Crepuscular rays are Parallel!"
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba.../#.WjgQ8FWnG02

'duh'

regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 12:30 PM   #575
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

In what possible scenario, flat earth or round earth, are the sun's rays parallel?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 12:31 PM   #576
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

I was busy, tired of repeating myself, and answering Red Herring Fallacies.
I can understand you get tired of repeating yourself. I would be if I did it as much as you do.

Quote:
"The ESSM ANTI-SHIP MISSILE is powered by a high performance Mk 134 Mod 0 rocket motor dual-propellant propulsion system that develops high thrust. The motor can operate in temperatures ranging between -14°F to 133°F.
The propulsion system provides the missile with a speed of over Mach 4 and A RANGE OF MORE THAN 50km."

No, there are missiles from ships. The missile can't sink a ship. Too small.

Quote:
The missile is equipped with an insensitive munitions (IM)-compliant, annular blast fragmentation warhead, weighing 40.5kg, and offers high lethality against anti-ship missiles.
It is against missiles. A 40kg fragmentation warhead is useless against any ship larger than a launch. Here is a hint for you: Instead of endlessly repeating yourself, try to actually read your own references, OK? Saves you the embarrassment of having them contradict you.

Quote:
That's NOT an Experiment, for goodness sakes. You'd "FAIL" 5th Grade General Science.
They didn't have that 2,500 years ago. But you can make it an experiment now, if you will.

Quote:
Not with Plane Trig it's not.
Cool, then solve the challenge I put to you.

Quote:
1. For what Purpose?
2. It's a Begging The Question Fallacy on Multiple Levels.

a. Look up "Apparent Sun".
b. 'Latitude and Longitude' is merely a Convention...i.e., they're NOT REAL.
They are not? Then how do ships and planes navigate? (But thanks for that gem. I'll keep it )

Quote:
I have a revelation for you...this can be reconciled by a Third Grader.

"Crepuscular rays are Parallel!"
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba.../#.WjgQ8FWnG02

'duh'
Yeah, a third grader (what is your age?) would think that. But ... maybe a fourth grader will realize that rays from a .5 degree disk are not entirely parallel. Actually one of the photos in your link clearly shows that. (Again, actually do check your links.)

Hans
Old 18th December 2017, 12:35 PM   #577
Daniel
Muse

Your stupid Sea Sparrow point is dead, deceased, gone to meet it's maker, and is totally bereft of life. It's not even pining for the fjords.

Translation: I have no coherent argument/position.

Quote:
Your only reply was moving the goal posts to get a citation which mentioned the Sea Sparrow

How am I 'moving the goalposts' when my entire point was the Sea Sparrow's capabilities, for goodness sakes?

Quote:
...as if Line Of Sight means something different for the Sea Sparrow.

Line of Sight is the same with the Sea Sparrow as it is with anything else.

Quote:
It doesn't. If it did, it's on you to find a definition of Line Of Sight specific to the Sea Sparrow only.

What on Earth are you talking about?

Quote:
An air target can be 35 miles out and above the horizon. Still a valid target for Sea Sparrow.

Correct.

Quote:
Surface target would be limited by the horizon and it is not the only kind of valid target.

Factually Incorrect. As spoken about previously (about 10 Times, complete with Examples) ... If there was a Limitation(s) in Range, then it/they would be Identified.
It's NOT Identified anywhere, Ergo...Range is not limited by anything other than it's inherent ballistics.

Quote:
Your continued clinging to this point long past it's expiration date only serves to expose for all a lack of openness to valid criticism on your part.

My "Clinging" to this point is because you (or anyone else in the past 2 years) have no coherent argument against it.

regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 12:44 PM   #578
Daniel
Muse

No, there are missiles from ships.

What on Earth sir?

Quote:
The missile can't sink a ship. Too small.

So missiles can't sink ships, eh? So they make Anti-Ship Missiles for what purpose...just to piss the enemy off?? lol

Quote:
They didn't have that 2,500 years ago.

The didn't have "WHAT" 2500 years ago?

Quote:
But you can make it an experiment now, if you will.

For what?

Quote:
Cool, then solve the challenge I put to you.

There's nothing to solve...you had no point.

Quote:
Then how do ships and planes navigate?

For the Us Navy: Primary --- Gyros.

Quote:
Yeah, a third grader (what is your age?) would think that. But ... maybe a fourth grader will realize that rays from a .5 degree disk are not entirely parallel.

I don't care how big it is. The "Alleged' Distance (93 Million Miles) is the compelling factor in the matter.

ps. I read all my References in depth.

regards
Old 18th December 2017, 12:46 PM   #579
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Translation: I have no coherent argument/position.
You're catching on.......................

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 12:48 PM   #580
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Then how do ships and planes navigate? (But thanks for that gem. I'll keep it )
For the Us Navy: Primary --- Gyros.
How would that work on a "flat Earth"?

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41

Last edited by DGM; 18th December 2017 at 12:51 PM.
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 12:52 PM   #581
Daniel
Muse

For the 128,765 Time!! ...

Begging The Question/Red Herring Fallacy:

How do you have a GAS PRESSURE (Atmospheric Pressure) WITHOUT a Container...."TO BEGIN WITH" ?? When...

"The "PRESSURE OF A GAS" is the force that the gas exerts on the WALLS OF IT'S CONTAINER".
http://chemistry.elmhurst.edu/vchemb...0pressure.html

Ya see, before you can appeal to "VARYING" Gas Pressure you MUST ANSWER where we got GAS PRESSURE to begin with.

Is there something particularly confusing about this ^^^^^ ??

regards
Old 18th December 2017, 12:55 PM   #582
Elagabalus
Philosopher

...Actually one of the photos in your link clearly shows that. (Again, actually do check your links.)

Hans
Yes, with all due respect to Phil Plait that was not the best example.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 12:59 PM   #583
Daniel
Muse

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post

It's similar to the Phenomenon of watching a Plane fly over your head in Missouri but somebody in Chicago won't be able to see it.

Quote:
On the. Topic of Sea Sparrows, you know there's a standard computation for terrain masking by curvature of the earth right? We used to have a template to draw on the chart but now the computers just figure it out for you.

Yes, I personally use...

https://dizzib.github.io/earth/curve...&unit=imperial

and

https://www.metabunk.org/curve/

regards
Old 18th December 2017, 01:01 PM   #584
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

........Ya see, before you can appeal to "VARYING" Gas Pressure you MUST ANSWER where we got GAS PRESSURE to begin with.

Is there something particularly confusing about this ^^^^^ ??....
Yes. It confuses me no end how anyone can waste our time with such a gormless question.

Atmospheric pressure varies with altitude. Explain that, or deny it.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 01:02 PM   #585
Elagabalus
Philosopher

It's similar to the Phenomenon of watching a Plane fly over your head in Missouri but somebody in Chicago won't be able to see it...
Because of the Earth's curvature?

What do I win?!!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 01:05 PM   #586
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

What on Earth sir?

So missiles can't sink ships, eh? So they make Anti-Ship Missiles for what purpose...just to piss the enemy off?? lol
Sea Sparrow missiles can't sink ships. They have a 40kg warhead. ... you can read, right?

Quote:
The didn't have "WHAT" 2500 years ago?
Formal experiment protocols.

Quote:
For what?
To show whether Earth is flat or round.

Quote:
There's nothing to solve...you had no point.

I can understand you must duck this challenge. It is easy to solve, but explaining the result would be unpleasant for you.

Quote:
I don't care how big it is. The "Alleged' Distance (93 Million Miles) is the compelling factor in the matter.
You should care how big it is. I have challenged you to find out, but you refused.

Quote:
ps. I read all my References in depth.
Then I can only conclude that you have a reading comprehension problem. Otherwise you would have noticed that the Sea Sparrow is an anti missile weapon and its warhead is not effective against ships of any considerable size.

Hans
Old 18th December 2017, 01:13 PM   #587
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

It's similar to the Phenomenon of watching a Plane fly over your head in Missouri but somebody in Chicago won't be able to see it.
If I wasn't already convinced you're just trolling I'd be amused that you used a phenomena caused by the curvature of the Earth to argue against the curvature of the Earth. As it is, I offer a thumbs up on your trolling style. Simple and uninspired, yet, based upon the ongoing replies, effective.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 01:14 PM   #588
Elagabalus
Philosopher

... Ya see, before you can appeal to "VARYING" Gas Pressure you MUST ANSWER where we got GAS PRESSURE to begin with.

regards
Yes! Can you expound a little more on your theory of how "we got GAS PRESSURE to begin with."

So far you seem to imply that there must be a container of some kind (although I'm not sure). Is the Star Dome the container?
Old 18th December 2017, 01:16 PM   #589
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

How do you have a GAS PRESSURE (Atmospheric Pressure) WITHOUT a Container...."TO BEGIN WITH" ?? When...

"The "PRESSURE OF A GAS" is the force that the gas exerts on the WALLS OF IT'S CONTAINER".

Ya see, before you can appeal to "VARYING" Gas Pressure you MUST ANSWER where we got GAS PRESSURE to begin with.

regards
In other words, you can't explain why air pressure varies with altitude. Thank you for your clarification.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 01:16 PM   #590
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

regards
Gas pressure can vary without a container. Explain how.

Hans
Old 18th December 2017, 01:18 PM   #591
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Please at least read your own citations.

Quote:
ESSM (RIM 162) offers naval combatants reliable self-defence and high fire-power. The missile can be launched from surface ships to destroy threats that include high speed, highly manoeuvring anti-ship cruise missiles, low velocity air threats (LVATs), high-diving threats and surface-based targets. It can also engage attack aircraft, helicopters and ships.
Old 18th December 2017, 01:25 PM   #592
Daniel
Muse

Sea Sparrow missiles can't sink ships. They have a 40kg warhead. ... you can read, right?

So ANTI-SHIP Missiles can't sink ships. Good to Know

Quote:
Formal experiment protocols.

So then I suppose... there was no Experiment then?

Quote:
To show whether Earth is flat or round.

Newsflash: There is no EXPERIMENT to show whether the Earth is Flat/Sphere or any other shape; it's outside the purview of The Scientific Method.
Of course, if you had even the faintest clue of what The Scientific Method was you wouldn't have just Trainwrecked yourself. Good Job

Quote:
I can understand you must duck this challenge. It is easy to solve, but explaining the result would be unpleasant for you.

There is no challenge... there is no point. Because if there was a point, you would have already shown it in lieu of babbling on about nothing.

Quote:
You should care how big it is.

Actually, I really don't.

Quote:
Then I can only conclude that you have a reading comprehension problem.
Otherwise you would have noticed that the Sea Sparrow is an anti missile weapon

So you charge me with Reading Comprehension Issues by stating the NATO Sea Sparrow is ONLY an Anti-Missile Weapon, when ...

"ESSM (RIM 162) offers naval combatants reliable self-defence and high fire-power. The missile can be launched from surface ships to destroy threats that include high speed, highly maneuvering anti-ship cruise missiles, low velocity air threats (LVATs), high-diving threats and SURFACE-BASED TARGETS. It can also engage attack aircraft, helicopters and SHIPS."

Your claim is tantamount to Pol Pot charging the Dalai Lama with Genocide.

regards
Old 18th December 2017, 01:30 PM   #593
Daniel
Muse

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
In other words, you can't explain why air pressure varies with altitude. Thank you for your clarification.

I can take a shot at the Begging The Question/Red Herring Fallacy, After you Respond to MY ACTUAL ARGUMENT...

regards
Old 18th December 2017, 01:33 PM   #594
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

The Earth, the planet we live on (well, some of us at least) is an Oblate Spheroid.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 01:35 PM   #595
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

I'll help you with your hilite.........

So you charge me with Reading Comprehension Issues by stating the NATO Sea Sparrow is ONLY an Anti-Missile Weapon, when ...

"ESSM (RIM 162) offers naval combatants reliable self-defence and high fire-power. The missile can be launched from surface ships to destroy threats that include high speed, highly maneuvering anti-ship cruise missiles, low velocity air threats, high-diving threats (LVATs) and SURFACE-BASED TARGETS. It can also engage attack aircraft, helicopters and SHIPS."

regards

Last edited by DGM; 18th December 2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 18th December 2017, 01:47 PM   #596
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

So ANTI-SHIP Missiles can't sink ships. Good to Know
I'm sure they can't. In the case of the Sea Sparrow (40kg warhead) just only quite small ships.

Quote:
So then I suppose... there was no Experiment then?
There was the observation that the sin is seen at different angles at different latitudes. The experiment did not prove Earth was round, because you might have triangulated some distance to the sun from it. Problem is, a three-point triangulation does not resolve into a single point.

THIS is the problem you have.

Quote:
Newsflash: There is no EXPERIMENT to show whether the Earth is Flat/Sphere or any other shape; it's outside the purview of The Scientific Method.

Total nonsense. The scientific method easily shows that Earth is a rotating sphere orbiting the sun.

To find out, try to solve the challenge I have given you.

Hans
Old 18th December 2017, 01:51 PM   #597
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Of course, if you had even the faintest clue of what The Scientific Method was you wouldn't have just Trainwrecked yourself. Good Job
Dude, you too the act too far. If testing the shape of the Earth is beyond the scope of science, why would you bother even HAVING an argument where you try to cite science?
Old 18th December 2017, 01:59 PM   #598
Elagabalus
Philosopher

...So ANTI-SHIP Missiles can't sink ships. Good to Know
Pssssst. Loose Lips, Sink Ships ...

...Newsflash: There is no EXPERIMENT to show whether the Earth is Flat/Sphere or any other shape; it's outside the purview of The Scientific Method....

Why do the solar eclipses listed here:https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/list.html have such strange paths of totality on your flat Earth?
Old 18th December 2017, 02:23 PM   #599
HSienzant
Philosopher

Ahem, Daniel?

Well, try standing on a chair. Now take one step to the side.
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
What happened when you stepped off the chair?
I stepped onto the floor. What's next, a query on what happens when I turn a doorknob?
Originally Posted by HSienzant View Post
So why not the ceiling or one of the walls? Did you just arbitrarily choose the floor?
See above.

Hanks ”method” [of requesting evidence] is not going to [get me to] provide any evidence since it has a completely different purpose. To create the the illusion of me not providing evidence when requested to do so.
- Manifesto
HSienzant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 04:26 PM   #600
Arisia
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
If I wasn't already convinced you're just trolling I'd be amused that you used a phenomena caused by the curvature of the Earth to argue against the curvature of the Earth. As it is, I offer a thumbs up on your trolling style. Simple and uninspired, yet, based upon the ongoing replies, effective.
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winnah!
Arisia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories