IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags flat earth , flat earthers

Old 21st December 2017, 11:54 AM   #721
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

...oops......
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2017, 11:58 AM   #722
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
What I decided?? [usual bizarre rantings deleted]
I answered your questions. The fact that you refuse to accept the answers is your own problem. Now, back to the question you keep evading: how do you explain the fact that the air pressure at the top of Mount Everest is different to the air pressure at sea level?

Anything you say other than an answer to the above question will be dismissed as a red herring.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2017, 12:05 PM   #723
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

You'll get another cut and paste job from another forum, Dave, like most other answers in the thread. It's a great way of not having to think.

-

I'd like Daniel to explain why he was so vehemently dismissive of flat earth theory 2 or 3 years ago, and yet its biggest disciple now.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2017, 12:08 PM   #724
heymatto70
Thinker

Wait a second. If you've "pummelled" Einstein's theory of gravity, why aren't YOU the one written about and cited in physics textbooks?
heymatto70 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2017, 12:22 PM   #725
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

The Missile's "RANGE" is 50 km.
LOS is 17.7 km.
The Missile REQUIRES LOS to engage targets.
And it can. When they are 50km away and above the horizon, such as air targets.
How can you "Target" (eye or scope) something out of your LOS (eye or scope) ??
You can't very well, thanks for repeating my point.

You can when they appear above the ravine, at the same distance.

This has to be an act on your part, or basic geometry questions should be avoided by you in the future.
Old 21st December 2017, 12:26 PM   #726
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by heymatto70 View Post
Wait a second. If you've "pummelled" Einstein's theory of gravity, why aren't YOU the one written about and cited in physics textbooks?
Conspiracy, obviously.
Old 21st December 2017, 12:47 PM   #727
erlando
Master Poster

*snip* more deflecting
Please explain without deflecting to either your "gravity" skit or your "begging the question" skit or any of your countless other deflections; why is the atmospheric pressure on top of Mount Everest different to the atmospheric pressure at sea level?

You yourself admitted this, remember? Or are you suddenly claiming that the atmosphere has no atmospheric pressure? Or are you just implicitly admitting that you have no explanation?

Last edited by erlando; 21st December 2017 at 12:55 PM.
erlando is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2017, 01:59 PM   #728
Elagabalus
Philosopher

3. And Scientific Theories don't "DESCRIBE" they "EXPLAIN", Big Difference.

regards
OK, please explain or describe why there's an atmosphere on your flat earth.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2017, 02:12 PM   #729
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Not simply "Denying", "PUMMELING" THEN... Denying. Big Difference

Dude, have you considered getting a dog? given your recent posts I think you may need one.

halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2017, 02:17 PM   #730
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by The Sparrow View Post
Nothing beats the (real) name Strawberry Alarm Clock
"Toad the Wet Sprocket" would be close.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2017, 03:13 PM   #731
HSienzant
Philosopher

Daniel?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=599

Hanks ”method” [of requesting evidence] is not going to [get me to] provide any evidence since it has a completely different purpose. To create the the illusion of me not providing evidence when requested to do so.
- Manifesto
HSienzant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2017, 04:08 PM   #732
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

A question for Daniel (that I doubt he will answer). Why is it, that during a sunset or sunrise, clouds are illuminated by the sun when it is no longer (or not yet in a sunrise) visible on the ground?
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2017, 04:38 PM   #733
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Then that scuttles Newtonian 'gravity', so all that's left is Einstein's 'gr'.
Nope, as already noted general relativity reduces to Newtonian gravity in the appropriate limits.

Yes. However, I was laughing too hard to finish it.
Too bad, guess you missed the parts about it reducing to Newtonian gravity in the appropriate limits and resulting gravitational forces being inertial.

1. It's NOT an ACTUAL Scientific Theory.

2. So Relativity, "sr and gr" via different mechanisms (Speed vs. Gravity), can: Dilate/Bend/Warp...TIME !!
Sorry, I don't recall anything in the theory about it requiring your approval, acceptance or even understanding.

1. Primary School Falsification:

TIME is a "Conceptual" relationship between 2 motions. Specifically, it's based on an "Alleged" single rotation of the Earth on it's axis in respect to the Sun (A Day).
It's a "CONCEPT" (Non-Physical). It is without Chemical Formula/Structure, no Dimensionality/Orthogonality, and no Direction or Location. You can't put some in a jar and paint in red.

I mean c'mon now, let's reason together...can you Dilate/Bend/Warp Non-Physical "Concepts"??
Is it your contention that if you have Poison Ivy on the brain you could scratch it by thinking of Sand Paper??

"FREEDOM" is a Concept also...can you Bend that?? lol

That which you are using to measure...isn't the thing you're measuring.

A Football Field is 100 Yards long but a Football Field isn't Yardsticks!! If I bend a Yardstick...does the Football Field bend also?
(The Yardsticks are analog to the Clock) -- (The Football Field is analog to TIME)

So if something affects say...Cesium Atomic Clocks, or any modern "Clock" for that matter, does that then IPSO FACTO mean the Earth's "Alleged" rotation in relation to the Sun is Affected?
These Two Mytho-matheMagical Fairytales (sr and gr) were falsified 30 seconds after their respective publications by 3rd graders @ recess, for goodness sakes.
IN TOTO, each are Massive Reification Fallacies on Nuclear Steroids!!
See, if you had actually read the theory you might have been able to address the theory instead of the above pretense.

2. Grown-Up Falsification:

"Non-Locality"-- a brief synopsis: http://www.physicsoftheuniverse.com/...nlocality.html

Nonlocality occurs due to the phenomenon of entanglement, whereby particles that interact with each other become permanently correlated, or dependent on each other’s states and properties, to the extent that they effectively lose their individuality and in many ways behave as a single entity.

Because of this Well Established Phenomena in 1935, which Pummeled his Fairytales gr and sr, Einstein coined the phrase "Spooky Action @ a Distance", then he and his buddies conjured a 'thought experiment', (SEE: 'EPR Paradox' 1935 ) in a feeble clumsy attempt to 'Debunk' Quantum Mechanics.

Why? Well... he couldn't have anything traveling faster than the Speed of Light, cause his 'theories' would IMPLODE.
(Side Note: He never published in Physical Review Letters again because he didn't appreciate the Paper being "Peer-Reviewed" i.e., Pretentious Pompous Pseudo-Scientific ####### --
http://journals.aps.org/pr/abstract/...PhysRev.47.777

Because of the seemingly Impossibility of TESTING his 'thought experiment', it apparently covered the Pretentious Pompous Pseudo-Science Mytho-Mathemagical Philosopher's Butt and the very public argument between he and Niels Bohr (who was of the opposite position) was relegated to the dustbin of history never to be reconciled.

BUT THEN...
In the 1960's, John Bell explored Einstein's 'alleged' Paradoxical thought experiment and proposed an Inequality (Bell's Inequality). If it was shown to be false, Einstein and his theories would take a dirt nap.
http://www.drchinese.com/David/Bell_Compact.pdf

Then John Clauser, a frustrated Grad Student...because of his poor grades in QM, was rustling through books and papers in the campus library when he came across John Bell's Paper.

And that, as they say folks, is HISTORY !! ...

Bell's Inequality was first Violated Experimentally in 1972 by John Clauser and Stuart Freedman:
http://dieumsnh.qfb.umich.mx/archivo...t/Freedman.pdf

Then in 1982, Alain Aspect PhD Physics Jacked it "Yard" FOREVER !! Ergo, Einstein and his "theories" = Dirt Nap !! ( *He got "De-Bunked"* )
http://www.qudev.ethz.ch/phys4/stude...epr/aspect.pdf

Ever since Aspect's Falsification, "Non-Locality" has been CONFIRMED BY EXPERIMENT roughly 1875 times, Without Exception!!! See...

New Scientist "RealityCheck" 23 June 2007: Speaking to the Landmark Experiment: Gröblacher, S. et al; An experimental test of non-local realism Nature 446, 871-875 (19 April 2007) | doi :10.1038/nature05677.
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture05677.html
"There is no objective reality beyond what we observe". Leggett's Inequality along with Bell's (again) have been violated. "Rather than passively observing it, WE IN FACT CREATE REALITY".
Physicsworld April 20 2007: http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/...bye-to-reality , also speaking to this experiment, went as far as to claim that, ‘quantum physics says goodbye to reality.’

Validated/CONFIRMED AGAIN (for the 1874th Time), here:

"Our experiment confirms Bohr’s view that it does not make sense to ascribe the wave or particle behaviour to a massive particle before the measurement takes place".
Manning A.G et al. (2015): Wheeler's delayed-choice gedanken experiment with a single atom; Nature Physics 11, 539–542, doi:10.1038/nphys3343.
http://www.nature.com/nphys/journal/...nphys3343.html

And another, just a Flurry of Blows...

"Our data hence imply statistically significant rejection of the local-realist null hypothesis." i.e., *Goodbye Realism* .
Hensen, B et al: Loophole-free Bell inequality violation using electron spins separated by 1.3 kilometres; Nature 526, 682–686 (29 October 2015) doi:10.1038/nature15759
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture15759.html

Who else wants to Chime In on Realism (??) ...

Xiao-song Ma et al. (2013): Quantum erasure with causally disconnected choice. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 110, pp. 1221-1226.
The authors PUMMEL Naive Realism and take Local-Causality to the Woodshed (again).

"The presence of PATH INFORMATION anywhere in the universe is sufficient to prohibit any possibility of interference. It is irrelevant whether a future observer might decide to acquire it. The mere possibility is enough."

[Ergo, The LACK of 'which-path Information' anywhere in the Universe is sufficient enough to prohibit any possibility of Wave Function Collapse. i.e. Formation of Matter!!]

"No NAIVE REALISTIC picture is compatible with our results because whether a quantum could be seen as showing particle- or wave-like behavior would depend on a causally disconnected choice. It is therefore suggestive to abandon such pictures altogether."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3557028/

THEREFORE: There are 2 Doors that can be breached per the results of these Experiments:

Door #1: Information (however they conjured that ?? ) can travel Faster than the Speed of Light.
'Einstein's 'theories' KABLOOIE!!!

Door #2: Space and Time are Illusions.
'Einstein's 'theories' KABLOOIE!!!

Take your pick...?

Einstein himself after 30 years of attempting a Unified Field Theory finally reckoned with it prior to his death and was partial to the Latter Door (as am I)...

"I must confess that I was not able to find a way to explain the atomistic character of nature. My opinion is if that the objective description through the field as an elementary concept is not possible then one has to find a possibility to AVOID the continuum (together with SPACE and TIME) ALTOGETHER but I have not the slightest idea what kind of elementary concepts could be used in such a theory".
Letter from Albert Einstein to David Bohm, 28 October 1954.
Colodny, Robert G; From Quarks to Quasars--Philosophical Problems of Modern Physics: University of Pittsburgh Press, 1986, p. 380

To overturn the Scientific Falsification of "Locality" and by direct proxy ---- Philosophical Naturalism/Realism (aka: atheism); whereby invalidating Idealism "Christianity" (which is not a "religion", btw) and as an ancillary benefit collect yourself a 'Feather in your Cap' Nobel Prize...

Please take up the Quantum Randi Challenge (arXiv:1207.5294, 23 July 2012)
https://arxiv.org/abs/1207.5294
http://www.science20.com/alpha_meme/...hallenge-80168 ....
( The Quantum Randi Challenge, hence forth QRC, challenges any pseudo-scientist [You, as it were] who claims that quantum physics is not true and that quantum entanglement experiments can be explained by a classically realistic and locally causal model.)
https://arxiv.org/vc/arxiv/papers/1207/1207.5294v1.pdf

A Nobel Prize AND $1,000,000(USD) is being offered: All you have to do is...
Prove Naive Realism or Local Realism is True and not Observation Dependent.
4 Years + and still no takers, I wonder why?
I'll monitor the Presses!!

A "2FER"...'gravity' and Philosophical Naturalism/Realism (aka: atheism) PUMMELED into the Incoherent Oblivion.
Once again had you actually read the theory you might have been able to actually address the theory. EPR thought experiment and subsequent tests, Bell's theorem, Wheeler's delayed-choice and quantum erasure experiments, I've read them all as well. As well as them having been discussed on different threads here. None directly refute either special or general relativity. Something you would know if you had actually read them.

Elephant Hurling Fallacy (x2). And 'wiki', eh

Ok. Elephant Hurling Fallacy (x2).
Nope, I asserted how those references direcly apply.

Errr... Scientific Laws "describe"; whereas Scientific Theories "EXPLAIN".

Moreover, The "Scientific" in 'Scientific Laws' is a Misnomer because they never enter into The Scientific Method -- ( "Science" -- 'Scientific' ), they are merely 'descriptions' of Natural Laws.

You couldn't pass it now, that's for sure.

Once again still not refuting a scientific theory being based on scientific laws

regards
Again, whatever.
Old 21st December 2017, 05:00 PM   #734
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

'models' are demonstrable Pseudo-Science (and they certainly don't "PREDICT" anything lol)...

Please show "models" in the Scientific Method...? (and not "Ball-Stick" Airplane 'Models' Either !!!)...?

"A model is used for situations when it is known that the hypothesis has a LIMITATION ON IT'S VALIDITY."
https://www.thoughtco.com/hypothesis...nd-law-2699066

Allow me to translate: "Pseudo-Science"...There is no such animal as a Scientific Hypothesis with 'limited validity' it's tantamount to a woman being 'A LITTLE' PREGNANT !!
REAL Scientific Hypotheses are either CONFIRMED or INVALIDATED, PERIOD...End of Story!!
Furthermore, Scientific Hypotheses do not exist in PERPETUITY or wait for more DATA !!! 'Data' comes FROM Experiments---(Hypothesis TESTS).
A "model" is conjured when the 'alleged' Hypothesis is UN-TESTABLE!!! That means, there never was an 'ACTUAL' Scientific Hypothesis to begin with !!

So I'm up against Pseudo-Science. Yes, that's what I've been telling and illustrating to you guys for the entire thread.
You finally GOT IT!! kudos

regards

Nope, from your own citation....
Quote:
HYPOTHESIS

Perhaps the most difficult and intriguing step is the development of a specific, testable hypothesis. A useful hypothesis enables predictions by applying deductive reasoning, often in the form of mathematical analysis.

It is a limited statement regarding the cause and effect in a specific situation, which can be tested by experimentation and observation or by statistical analysis of the probabilities from the data obtained.
Its validity or lack thereof is thus as limited as that specifically “limited statement”. What you are demonstrably up against are your own citations.
Old 21st December 2017, 05:48 PM   #735
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
A question for Daniel (that I doubt he will answer). Why is it, that during a sunset or sunrise, clouds are illuminated by the sun when it is no longer (or not yet in a sunrise) visible on the ground?
I have a personal example of this phenomenon,. I've attached a picture I took at sunset from a Wal-Mart parking lot in Crestwood, Illinois.

According to Daniel's long disproved theory, this would put the Sun underground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171003_185102.jpg (44.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 21st December 2017, 10:15 PM   #736
EHocking
Philosopher

Provide a Spherical Earth and I'll show you...?

btw: I said a compass wouldn't work South of a Spherical Equator.
Actually what you said was

That's Interesting, thanks for bringing it up. How in the World can a Compass work in the Southern Hemisphere on a Sphere ?? Wouldn't the needle be buried in the ring?

regards
And ever since post 337 where I pointed out that is exactly what happens - you've been avoiding the subject with a passion.

You really must regret your assertion that a N.Hemisphere compass does indeed "bury the need in the ring" when used in the S.Hemisphere.

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
yes.
That is exactly what happens. The variation is up to 20o.

The needle of a compass that works in the SH is balanced differently than one that works in the NH, due to exactly this fact that the horizontal and vertical components of the earth's magnetic field vary considerably in different locations

The compass manufacturers use 5 global zones and 5 corresponding “magnetic balancing zones”.

You have correctly pointed out yet another Fact that demonstrates that the earth is a globe and not a platter.
Feel free to ignore the assertion you made that demonstrates that the earth is a sphere.

I'll keep reminding you.

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2017, 01:24 AM   #737
threadworm
Graduate Poster

1. You don't know that Venus, Titan and the gas giants are Spheres.
Those of us with telescopes very much know that they are.

I await the inevitable clumsily formatted copypasta.

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2017, 02:18 AM   #738
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Sorry, I don't recall anything in the theory about it requiring your approval, acceptance or even understanding.
The last alone could be too low a bar to clear.

Dave

Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2017, 05:45 AM   #739
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

How can you "Target" (eye or scope) something out of your LOS (eye or scope) ??
Being as the earth is a spheroid, it's rather simple. You put an aircraft like an E2-C Hawkeye in the air. It can see over the curvature of the Earth and target for you. The seeker head locks onto the radar return of the E2 instead of the radar on the vessel.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2017, 06:02 AM   #740
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
"Toad the Wet Sprocket" would be close.
Indeed!
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2017, 06:10 AM   #741
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
You'll get another cut and paste job from another forum, Dave, like most other answers in the thread. It's a great way of not having to think.
True. To be honest, I'm more interested in taxonomy than content here, so to some extent I'm just poking Daniel with a stick to see which standard woo tactics he employs. Clearly his go-to play is taking a teaching text that's intended to give a simple example of how the scientific method's applied and insisting that this simplified example is the totality of the scientific method, which is a sub-genre of cherry-picking that ought to have a name all its own. There's also the supporting ploy of suggesting people contact the authors of his sources, as a means of creating the illusion that they actively support him, which is related to but not identical to "the lurkers support me in e-mail," more along the lines of "these authorities would support me if they knew we were arguing." And then, of course, there's the simple denial that anything he doesn't like the look of conforms to his definitions even when it does. I'm not sure whether these have informal names, but they'd be useful to compile.

Dave

Old 22nd December 2017, 08:20 AM   #742
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Being as the earth is a spheroid, it's rather simple. You put an aircraft like an E2-C Hawkeye in the air. It can see over the curvature of the Earth and target for you. The seeker head locks onto the radar return of the E2 instead of the radar on the vessel.
True, and he was narrowing his argument to a Sea Sparrow instruction itself, which focused on the firing platform itself. Via link to other platform targeting systems, it is possible to target beyond that. Since I was not on a Sea Sparrow vessel and have not linked with any, I am not aware of whether the Sea Sparrow is capable of accepting Link targets via the SSDS. It appears it may at some point be able to in one reference I have found.

Last edited by LSSBB; 22nd December 2017 at 08:26 AM.
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2017, 09:23 AM   #743
ArmillarySphere
Muse

Clearly, forward observers don't exist.

The kicker is, I have yet to see a flat Earther provide any kind of viable theory that encompasses all the observations we have. We had enough information to thoroughly disregard flat earth thousands of years ago, so I suppose their only tactics are to deny available facts. E.g: we don't really know the planets are spheres, when you can see the phases of the moon with the naked eye and the phases of Venus with a half decent "birding" scope.
ArmillarySphere is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2017, 09:36 AM   #744
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ArmillarySphere View Post

The kicker is, I have yet to see a flat Earther provide any kind of viable theory that encompasses all the observations we have. We had enough information to thoroughly disregard flat earth thousands of years ago, so I suppose their only tactics are to deny available facts. E.g: we don't really know the planets are spheres, when you can see the phases of the moon with the naked eye and the phases of Venus with a half decent "birding" scope.
It's a lot like Creationism in that regard. They have no real theory of their own, just a bunch of ignorant nay-saying, deliberate lying, and nit-picking about the opposition.

For example, I have yet to see a Flat Earth explanation for atmospheric pressure gradients. The lower air pressure at the top of Mount Everest is a conundrum I have yet to see any of them even try to explain.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:10 AM   #745
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

There is no South Pole or South Celestial Pole...

"There is no "South Star". It's just a coincidence that there happens to be a bright star (Polaris) close to the Celestial North Pole. The Southern Hemisphere isn't so lucky. The only star that comes close is Sigma Octans, which is 1 degree away from the South Celestial Pole. But it's only 6th magnitude--too dim to see at all except under optimal conditions."
http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/phy...r-intermediate
Speaking of Sigma Octantis, how is it that the star is simultaneously visible from opposite ends of the allegedly Flat Earth, but not the regions of the "Northern Hemisphere?"

You've addressed this topic before, but not in a manner that actually took into account the regions from which Sigma Octantis is visible. Look at that map above. It is visible from the entirety of what would be the outer rim of that map, but not the center. How is that possible on a Flat Earth?
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:30 AM   #746
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Speaking of Sigma Octantis, how is it that the star is simultaneously visible from opposite ends of the allegedly Flat Earth, but not the regions of the "Northern Hemisphere?"

You've addressed this topic before, but not in a manner that actually took into account the regions from which Sigma Octantis is visible. Look at that map above. It is visible from the entirety of what would be the outer rim of that map, but not the center. How is that possible on a Flat Earth?

"But it's only 6th magnitude--too dim to see at all except under optimal conditions."

Clearly, the more advanced Central Hemisphereflat does not have "optimal" conditions.
Old 22nd December 2017, 12:59 PM   #747
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Daniel
There is no South Pole or South Celestial Pole...

"There is no "South Star". It's just a coincidence that there happens to be a bright star (Polaris) close to the Celestial North Pole. The Southern Hemisphere isn't so lucky. The only star that comes close is Sigma Octans, which is 1 degree away from the South Celestial Pole. But it's only 6th magnitude--too dim to see at all except under optimal conditions."
http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/phy...r-intermediate
Is there a south celestial pole or not?
Old 22nd December 2017, 01:45 PM   #748
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by alexi_drago View Post
Is there a south celestial pole or not?
Well spotted. Brilliant!!

I predict a few days absence from the thread, and then complete ignoring of this point, however many times it is put to him.
Old 22nd December 2017, 02:13 PM   #749
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

I wonder whether Daniel could explain why atmospheric pressure diminishes with increasing altitude?

I've been wondering about this for years!
Old 22nd December 2017, 02:25 PM   #750
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
I wonder whether Daniel could explain why atmospheric pressure diminishes with increasing altitude?

That's called "begging the question". You just can't ask this kind of thing.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2017, 02:35 PM   #751
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post

And you're treating the atmosphere as a single entity when it's an inhomogeneous anisotropic mixture of gases.

-Daniel

/i know it does not answer the question
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2017, 02:40 PM   #752
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
That's called "begging the question". You just can't ask this kind of thing.
Well, I was thinking of a high altitude camping trip and heard that water boils at a lower temperature at altitude, on account of the reduced pressure. Now, I like my tea properly brewed so this whole issue is kind of important for a Brit like me who likes proper tea.
Old 22nd December 2017, 04:42 PM   #753
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post

https://i.imgur.com/kIejjco.png

That where the holes in the firmament line up?
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2017, 09:12 PM   #754
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
That where the holes in the firmament line up?
That would be a weak argument - perfect for Flat Earthers!

You only see that particular star in the same arrangement of stars, and always close to the Celestial South Pole, whether you are in Sydney, Cape Town, or Ushuala. Holes lining up would all be visible as such at all three points - if the firmament were in reality a dome with Polaris at the apex, the stars rotating in time lapse about the Celestial South Pole could not happen.
Old 22nd December 2017, 09:31 PM   #755
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
That would be a weak argument - perfect for Flat Earthers!

You only see that particular star in the same arrangement of stars, and always close to the Celestial South Pole, whether you are in Sydney, Cape Town, or Ushuala. Holes lining up would all be visible as such at all three points - if the firmament were in reality a dome with Polaris at the apex, the stars rotating in time lapse about the Celestial South Pole could not happen.
Maybe they're slots? And
And
And
Look! Shiney! What about the sparrowhawk!
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:44 PM   #756
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
Maybe they're slots? And
And
And
Look! Shiney! What about the sparrowhawk!
"Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky."
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:52 PM   #757
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
"Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky."
Whistler: It was one of Wilde's.

Oscar: It sodding was not! It was Shaw!

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:16 PM   #758
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Whistler: It was one of Wilde's.

Oscar: It sodding was not! It was Shaw!
What's really going to bake your noodle later on, is: is Earthsea flat?
Old 23rd December 2017, 01:51 AM   #759
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

... How can you "Target" (eye or scope) something out of your LOS (eye or scope) ??
big hint: Don't talk about LOS with regards to over the horizon related issues. Is there a horizon on a flat earth? Another issue flat earth cult members can't explain. The flat earth delusion would have zero LOS issues on the ocean. Talking about it, debunks flat earth. Why is this is beyond FEers LOS.

Funny stuff. How can there be line of sight issues on the fantasy flat earth ocean. It appears LOS is in the same bag FEers have gravity in. A bag labeled complete ignorance.

graders
Old 23rd December 2017, 03:32 AM   #760
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ArmillarySphere View Post

I suspect this is a kind of live action role playing and he doesn't really believe this. The trival simplicity that it takes to establish a spheroid earth makes me think he's not for real on this.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories