IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags flat earth , flat earthers

Old 1st December 2017, 01:08 PM   #241
Imhotep
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
I'm going to keep going West until I hit something. I'll report in later.
Oh crap, can I trust this compass thingy or was it made by the conspirators? Can I use the Sun? Maps are out, right? Need some help here.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 01:10 PM   #242
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by Daniel View Post

I don't attempt to, it's Red Herring Fallacy (Irrelevant/Diversion) to my Argument.

regards
So you just accept that pressure varies over altitude although you don't have an explanation for why?

Gravity explains it well but, considering you deny gravity I would have though you would have some other explanation.

I guess I'll give up on a spherical Earth when someone comes up with a better explanation. I won't hold my breath.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 01:10 PM   #243
The Big Dog

Stone Cold 2nd Law of Thermodynamics (Laws of Entropy) Violation.

ps. “If your theory is found to be AGAINST the SECOND LAW OF THERMODYNAMICS, I can give you no hope; there is nothing for [your theory] but to COLLAPSE IN THE DEEPEST HUMILIATION.”
Arthur S. Eddington, The Nature of the Physical World (1930), p. 74.

regards
Umm, fella? The earth and its atmosphere are not a closed system.

there is this "pancake" shaped ball in the sky which we call the sun that pumps energy into the system, for Jesus said "Suffer the little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven."
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 01:13 PM   #244
Daniel
Muse

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
But you just said that as we go up the pressure decreases, so you have once again managed to contradict your entire argument in literally one fell swoop!

For the 432nd Time, This isn't my argument!! Ergo... Red Herring Fallacy (Irrelevant/Diversion).

Air Pressure (Gas Pressure) decreasing with altitude is Begging The Question Fallacy to the Actual Argument...

How do you have Gas Pressure without a Container to begin with?

SEE IT ^^^^^^^^ ?? (It's Rhetorical at this point).

The only thing that's 'refuted' is the coherency of the people continuing to appeal to "Gas Pressure Changes" when the Argument is:

Where'd you get "GAS PRESSURE"...?

regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 01:14 PM   #245
davefoc
Philosopher

Stone Cold 2nd Law of Thermodynamics (Laws of Entropy) Violation.

ps. “If your theory is found to be AGAINST the SECOND LAW OF THERMODYNAMICS, I can give you no hope; there is nothing for [your theory] but to COLLAPSE IN THE DEEPEST HUMILIATION.”
Arthur S. Eddington, The Nature of the Physical World (1930), p. 74.

regards
Exactly, the second law of thermodynamics is one of the things that the round earther scientists are always ignoring when it doesn't fit their precious round earth theories.

Although, could you refresh my memory a bit here? How is it that the second law of thermodynamics necessitates that there be a container enveloping the Earth to keep the atmosphere from escaping?

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 01:15 PM   #246
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Is this wrong, Daniel?

Quote:
"A GAS is a sample of matter that conforms to the shape of a CONTAINER in which it is held and acquires a uniform density inside the CONTAINER, EVEN IN THE PRESENCE OF GRAVITY and regardless of the amount of substance in the CONTAINER. If not confined to a CONTAINER, gaseous matter, also known as vapor, WILL DISPERSE INTO SPACE."
By your own admission (that pressure changes with altitude) it is. Well?

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41

Last edited by DGM; 1st December 2017 at 01:17 PM.
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 01:15 PM   #247
Daniel
Muse

Umm, fella? The earth and its atmosphere are not a closed system.

That's your problem, not mine.

Quote:
there is this "pancake" shaped ball in the sky which we call the sun that pumps energy into the system

And what does this have to do with Bertlmann's Socks?

regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 01:20 PM   #248
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

So explain how atmospheric pressure (observed) works in your world. We're listening.

Old 1st December 2017, 01:22 PM   #249
The Big Dog

regards
Umm, no, you see the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics only pertains to a closed system. That kinda makes it, you know, your problem?

Or wait, is that another one of those things that you cited but that destroys your argument but we should ignore because it utterly lays waste upon your argument like the Lord did upon the sinners at Sodom?
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 01:24 PM   #250
Daniel
Muse

Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
Exactly, the second law of thermodynamics is one of the things that the round earther scientists are always ignoring when it doesn't fit their precious round earth theories.

You're Tellin me; and most aren't "Scientists" to begin with.

And since the shape of the earth (Flat or Sphere) isn't a "Scientific" topic to begin with (SEE: Previous Post for detailed explanation), I'd be willing to wager quite a large sum that you haven''t the first Clue what an Actual Scientific Theory is!

So Define "Scientific Theory"...?

Quote:
Although, could you refresh my memory a bit here? How is it that the second law of thermodynamics necessitates that there be a container enveloping the Earth to keep the atmosphere from escaping?

Sure...

"Gas expansion into a vacuum, mixing of ideal gases or liquids, diffusion, effusion, colligative effects, and osmosis each fundamentally involves an increase in entropy due to increased dispersion of energy (with no change in total energy in the case of ideal substances) due to a greater number of microstates for the particular system involved."
http://entropysite.oxy.edu/entropy_is_simple/

Good?

regards
Old 1st December 2017, 01:26 PM   #251
davefoc
Philosopher

I think that what the round Earthers envision here is that one side of the container is the surface of the Earth and the other side of the container is created by the gas itself as it pulled towards the earth. They envision that the pressure gradually falls off as one gets farther from the earth as the strength of gravity declines. This fits with their idea that satellites can orbit the Earth without tumbling back to earth immediately because of atmospheric drag and their observation that the orbits of low earth satellites gradually decay from the drag of the vestigial atmosphere they are flying through.

Of course, what the Round earthers don't realize or are hiding is that the Earth is approximately flat and the air would just leak out into the great void unless there was a dome in place to keep the atmosphere from leaking away.

Last edited by davefoc; 1st December 2017 at 01:28 PM.
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 01:27 PM   #252
Daniel
Muse

Umm, no, you see the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics only pertains to a closed system. That kinda makes it, you know, your problem?

THANKS!!!

This is tantamount to a Neurosurgical Candidate during an interview with the Chair of Neurosurgery, exclaiming unsolicited: "What's a Cerebellum??"....

“Another way of stating the second law then is: ‘The universe is constantly getting more disorderly!’ Viewed that way, we can see the second law all about us. We have to work hard to straighten a room, but left to itself it becomes a mess again very quickly and very easily. Even if we never enter it, it becomes dusty and musty. How difficult to maintain houses, and machinery, and our bodies in perfect working order: how easy to let them deteriorate. In fact, all we have to do is nothing, and everything deteriorates, collapses, breaks down, wears out, all by itself -- and that is what the second law is all about.”
Isaac Asimov, PhD Biochemistry: "In the Game of Energy and Thermodynamics You Can’t Break Even," Smithsonian Institute Journal, June, 1970, p. 6.

“...There are no known violations of the second law of thermodynamics. Ordinarily the second law is stated for isolated [closed] systems, but the second law applies equally well to open systems ... there is somehow associated with the field of far-from equilibrium phenomena the notion that the second law of thermodynamics fails for such systems. It is important to make sure that this error does not perpetuate itself.”
Dr. John Ross, Harvard Scientist. Letter to the Editor, Chemical and Engineering News (July 7, 1980), p.40.

So (), are you saying that here on Earth ("Open System" per Narrative), you get: hotter and hotter the further you move away from a fire?
Or that Gases spontaneously enter INTO a Pressurized Tire when the pin is depressed?

You need any more Gasoline with your Matches?

regards
Old 1st December 2017, 01:34 PM   #253
Daniel
Muse

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
So explain how atmospheric pressure (observed) works in your world. We're listening.

Well to have Gas Pressure (Atmospheric Pressure) you MUST HAVE a Container to begin with; it's called a Contingent Necessary Fact.

This single handedly PUMMELS into the Incoherent Oblivion: "Outer Space"...and everything associated with it, Pontificated by the Pseudo-Science Priests for what... 500 Years now?

Can you think of some "Down-Stream" ramifications?

regards
Old 1st December 2017, 01:35 PM   #254
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks!! You have Absolutely "No Clue" to what you're talking about...

"ESSM (RIM 162) offers naval combatants reliable self-defence and high fire-power. The missile can be launched from surface ships to destroy threats that include high speed, highly maneuvering anti-ship cruise missiles, low velocity air threats (LVATs), high-diving threats and SURFACE-BASED TARGETS. It can also engage attack aircraft, helicopters and SHIPS."
http://www.naval-technology.com/proj...-missile-essm/

regards
Yep, they can engage surface targets, but of course not with the same range.
That text is an advertising blurb. Do you believe everything in advertising?

... Ehr ..oh... Well, then: DONT't believe everything you read in adverts.

Hans
Old 1st December 2017, 01:36 PM   #255
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Well to have Gas Pressure (Atmospheric Pressure) you MUST HAVE a Container to begin with; it's called a Contingent Necessary Fact.

This single handedly PUMMELS into the Incoherent Oblivion: "Outer Space"...and everything associated with it, Pontificated by the Pseudo-Science Priests for what... 500 Years now?

regards
Define 'Gas pressure'.

Define 'Outer Space'

Define 'Pummels'

*insert random accusations of fallacies here*

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 01:36 PM   #256
The Big Dog

“...There are no known violations of the second law of thermodynamics. Ordinarily the second law is stated for isolated [closed] systems, but the second law applies equally well to open systems ... there is somehow associated with the field of far-from equilibrium phenomena the notion that the second law of thermodynamics fails for such systems. It is important to make sure that this error does not perpetuate itself.”
Dr. John Ross, Harvard Scientist. Letter to the Editor, Chemical and Engineering News (July 7, 1980), p.40.

So (), are you saying that here on Earth ("Open System" per Narrative), you get: hotter and hotter the further you move away from a fire?
Or that Gases spontaneously enter INTO a Pressurized Tire when the pin is depressed?

You need any more Gasoline with your Matches?

regards
Rapture! we have then agreed that we are dealing with an open system, that the earth is just such a system as it gains energy from the Sun, and loses matter, just as we have been saying.

QED, the Earth is a sphere, and The angels and saints exult with God in heaven!
Old 1st December 2017, 01:37 PM   #257
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

I guess the most pressing question is, What has stopped the worlds population from seeing the edge of the flat Earth over the thousands of years we've existed? I think I need a picture of that to believe..............Lots of pictures of a spherical Earth, not one flat.

Last edited by DGM; 1st December 2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 1st December 2017, 01:39 PM   #258
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

You bumble into this 'discussion' and you ask this??

This is tantamount to a Neurosurgical Candidate during an interview with the Head of Neurosurgery, suddenly exclaiming: "What's a Cerebellum??"

regards and Thank!!
Yes, I ask that. Are you able to answer? Of course, various factors limit range of view, but, in a flat Earth scenario: In your own words, describe how height can be a factor?

... Oh, you can't? .. Well ...

Hans
Old 1st December 2017, 01:42 PM   #259
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

regards
That's not an explanation of how it works in your world. I don't need to explain things.

Old 1st December 2017, 01:53 PM   #260
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

I have. Do you have a coherent rebuttal by chance?
If you read ... oh, and understood ... the text, which (and I admit my fault there) is not an article, but an advert, you would have noticed a couple of things:

1 The system is a ground to air defence system. Which is where the 35 miles range is stated.

2 However, they also state that it can be used against surface targets. They don't state the range here (after all it's an advert), but it would depend on the height of the target. If the target is AT the water surface (would have to a surfaced U-boat) it would be about 11 miles, but if it's a ship similar to the launching ship, 35 miles in not unrealistic. (All this requires something called math so you might wanna be careful with it.)

3 The pencil beam you talk about is scanning. That means ... oh ... well, it makes a difference.

Quote:
It drops. What's next, Hit the Gas in your car...what happens to the Speedometer?
GOOD! And what is the effect, in your own words, on entropy when there is an air pressure difference between different altitudes? What is the physical barrier that makes this easily observable pressure gradient possible?

Quote:
So another "Na'ahh" defense? Riveting!! You wouldn't happen to be Pre-Law by chance?
(On "Nature abhors a vacuum")

Well, actually Aristotle coined the phrase, but it lingered on into the 16th century.

Then, of course, the mistake was discovered. .... I hate to break this to you, but preciously little 16th century science has survived unchallenged till today. ... You might wanna read up on it.

Hans

Last edited by MRC_Hans; 1st December 2017 at 01:55 PM.
MRC_Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 01:58 PM   #261
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Excellent! Now you have just rebutted your earlier claim that the pressure of the atmosphere is dependent on its "container".

Just like you rebutted your claim that the earth is flat by reference to the horizon at Everest.

And citing to papers mentioning the globe and hemispheres.
Pleasure to be working with you, for a change.

Hans
Old 1st December 2017, 02:02 PM   #262
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

regards
Define 'container'.

I have a suggestion: "A physical barrier that prevents a medium from escaping".

OK?

Hans
Old 1st December 2017, 02:04 PM   #263
Imhotep
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Pleasure to be working with you, for a change.

Hans
There's our silver lining. Thanks, Daniel!
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 02:11 PM   #264
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Ahhh NO. It's an Incoherent Straw Man Fallacy; The Earth is Stationary. They have a saying regarding "Assumptions".

regards
That is why I was careful to couch it as an assumption. It is hard to tell what flavor of flat earth science you follow. If that is not your flavor, how do you account for gravity?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 02:13 PM   #265
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
That is why I was careful to couch it as an assumption. It is hard to tell what flavor of flat earth science you follow. If that is not your flavor, how do you account for gravity?
which kind?

Old 1st December 2017, 02:17 PM   #266
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Do you have a source for the underlined?

Also, are you saying we don't have atmospheric pressure or that there is a container?

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 02:20 PM   #267
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

which kind?

Oh yes, thanks for the reminder. Let's just stick to that which makes the apple fall from the tree.

Old 1st December 2017, 02:49 PM   #268
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

BUFFOONERY. SEE: Nonsense. Your little image shows "Convergent" Sun Rays. The Sun's Rays, that strike the Earth are "Parallel", Remember?

I'd say there's a better chance of Liberace being resurrected sporting a purple tutu and jumping on a chartreuse hobbled unicorn and riding around the Sombrero Galaxy.

regards
Oh! Geometry denial! Neat!

You continue to 'Whistle Past The Graveyard' and Beg The Question (Fallacy), smh.

Read this slowly, then answer...

How can you have Atmospheric Pressure (Gas Pressure) without a Container, when...

"The "PRESSURE OF A GAS" is the force that the gas exerts on the WALLS OF IT'S CONTAINER".
http://chemistry.elmhurst.edu/vchemb...0pressure.html

In other words, How can you have a Rib Eye without The Cow?

regards

Originally Posted by threadworm View Post
Atmospheric pressure:
Quote:
Atmospheric pressure is defined as the force per unit area exerted against a surface by the weight of the air above that surface
http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/gu...w/prs/def.rxml

Nothing to do with a container.
Damn, beaten to the "atmospheric pressure" punch.

halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 02:53 PM   #269
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

For the 432nd Time, This isn't my argument!! Ergo... Red Herring Fallacy (Irrelevant/Diversion).

Air Pressure (Gas Pressure) decreasing with altitude is Begging The Question Fallacy to the Actual Argument...

The only thing that's 'refuted' is the coherency of the people continuing to appeal to "Gas Pressure Changes" when the Argument is:

Where'd you get "GAS PRESSURE"...?

regards

We never said there was no container. You just don't understand it.

How do you explain the observed difference in pressure with altitude?
In Daniel's model it can't exist. The "Vertical Limit" must therefore be a fiction and Mountain climbers don't really need oxygen canisters for high-altitude climbing.

This of course necessitates a whole NEW conspiracy theory to explain the mechanics of faking all these things.

This also begs the question of what really causes water to boil at a different temperature in Boulder Colorado? Is the government secretly swapping out all the thermometers?
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 03:32 PM   #270
erlando
Master Poster

Daniel, how do you account for gravity?

Is the Sun a sphere?
Old 1st December 2017, 03:59 PM   #271
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Does anybody have some thoughts about how to determine if somebody really believes the Earth is flat?

There is no doubt that widespread conspiracy theories have at least some people faking belief in the theory as a sort of a goof or even for cynical self serving reasons like with regard to birtherism.

But it seems like a lot of "flat earth believers" may not be actual flat earth believers.

I don't want to even come close to violating any JREF rules but if Daniel would allow people to express their ideas about whether Daniel is a true believer flat Earther or not I'd like to hear what they are.
Daniel believes ... well, let us not waste time. Let's ask him:

Daniel, enlighten us on the Theory of Evolution Flat Earth Nonsense. My pastor may not agree with you.

Last edited by John Jones; 1st December 2017 at 05:43 PM.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 04:33 PM   #272
HSienzant
Philosopher

Begging the question. Who says you need a container?

Does water pressure increase as you go further down?

Why?

Hank

Hanks ”method” [of requesting evidence] is not going to [get me to] provide any evidence since it has a completely different purpose. To create the the illusion of me not providing evidence when requested to do so.
- Manifesto
HSienzant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 05:53 PM   #273
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

[...]
That is incorrect no matter how you textually emphasize it.

The Kinetic Molecular Theory of Gasses says you're promoting crack pottery.

You're welcome.

Last edited by John Jones; 1st December 2017 at 05:56 PM.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 06:25 PM   #274
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by HSienzant View Post
Begging the question. Who says you need a container?

Does water pressure increase as you go further down?

Why?

Hank
Not only does the pressure increase. The surface of the water also curves to conform to the shape of the Earth........He can't explain this in his world.

Old 1st December 2017, 06:41 PM   #275
The_Animus
Illuminator

could we start making a list of all the organizations and groups of people who are in on the conspiracy?

Would all the following be in on it? Who else?

All aerospace organizations
Mountain Climbers
Anyone involved in GPS
Compass makers
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 06:43 PM   #276
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

"The "PRESSURE OF A GAS" is the force that the gas exerts on the WALLS OF IT'S CONTAINER".
http://chemistry.elmhurst.edu/vchemb...0pressure.html
Other than that it seems to say what you think it needs to say to make your claim, why is this link gospel? Exactly what makes it the perfect truth? I can provide many links that talk about air pressure and atmospheric pressure that don't talk about having to have a container, rather that air pressure is the force applied to a surface or object created by the weight of the air.

For example, the Encyclopćdia Britannica says that....

Atmospheric pressure, also called barometric pressure, force per unit area exerted by an atmospheric column (that is, the entire body of air above the specified area)

kids-fun-science.com says....

What is air pressure? Air pressure is the weight of air molecules pressing down on the Earth. The pressure of the air molecules changes as you move upward from sea level into the atmosphere. The highest pressure is at sea level where the density of the air molecules is the greatest.

National Geographic says....

The air around you has weight, and it presses against everything it touches. That pressure is called atmospheric pressure, or air pressure. It is the force exerted on a surface by the air above it as gravity pulls it to Earth.

So far I seem to have a 3 to 1 advantage on Air Pressure being the force created by the weight of the air and no need for a container, and I'd say that my links are more credible too.

How about we just go right to the Dictionary?

Dictionary.com says....

the force exerted by air, whether compressed or unconfined, on any surface in contact with it.

Hang on, that specifically says... "or unconfined"

Does that means that there can be air pressure without a container....

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Oh, why yes, yes we can....

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 06:48 PM   #277
davefoc
Philosopher

I guess the most pressing question is, What has stopped the worlds population from seeing the edge of the flat Earth over the thousands of years we've existed? I think I need a picture of that to believe..............Lots of pictures of a spherical Earth, not one flat.
I've been wrestling with that a bit as well. I thought since there was penguins on the Galapagos islands that this might be evidence that the Galapagos islands were close to the Antarctic where the frozen wall that is holding back the oceans is located. But now I'm not so sure. Wouldn't all the tourists that fly into the Galapagos have noticed all the icebergs floating around? You'd think somebody would have pictures of that. So it must be someplace else on the equator where Antarctica is located.

And while we're on the topic of not noticing things, I'm still a little unclear as to where the top of this container is. I'm thinking the bottom of the container is the earth and the top of the container is like an upside down salad bowl, except invisible. And it is able to let things pass through it like meteors and asteroids? Of course, the round earthers claim that space craft would have flown through it as well, but those reports are from people that are part of the round Earth conspiracy, so who could trust them?

One thought on this container thing: According to Wikipedia there is a loss of the upper atmosphere gases due mostly to some part of the distribution of gas molecules velocities in the upper atmosphere is large enough to achieve escape velocity and leave the Earth's atmosphere. Wikipedia puts the loss of hydrogen at 3kg per second and the loss of helium at 50 gms per second. Of course, all this is probably based on what round Earther scientists claim so the flat earthers reasonably enough would be skeptical of this.

ETA: Maybe the container is huge so that it contains the entire flat earth sort of like a snow globe with the flat earth floating in it? Maybe the container is more like the container that holds Kandor in Superman's super fortress and the earth is like a little doodad sitting on God's desk some place.

Last edited by davefoc; 1st December 2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 1st December 2017, 07:20 PM   #278
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

I've been wrestling with that a bit as well. I thought since there was penguins on the Galapagos islands that this might be evidence that the Galapagos islands were close to the Antarctic where the frozen wall that is holding back the oceans is located. But now I'm not so sure. Wouldn't all the tourists that fly into the Galapagos have noticed all the icebergs floating around? You'd think somebody would have pictures of that. So it must be someplace else on the equator where Antarctica is located.

And while we're on the topic of not noticing things, I'm still a little unclear as to where the top of this container is. I'm thinking the bottom of the container is the earth and the top of the container is like an upside down salad bowl, except invisible. And it is able to let things pass through it like meteors and asteroids? Of course, the round earthers claim that space craft would have flown through it as well, but those reports are from people that are part of the round Earth conspiracy, so who could trust them?

One thought on this container thing: According to Wikipedia there is a loss of the upper atmosphere gases due mostly to some part of the distribution of gas molecules velocities in the upper atmosphere is large enough to achieve escape velocity and leave the Earth's atmosphere. Wikipedia puts the loss of hydrogen at 3kg per second and the loss of helium at 50 gms per second. Of course, all this is probably based on what round Earther scientists claim so the flat earthers reasonably enough would be skeptical of this.

ETA: Maybe the container is huge so that it contains the entire flat earth sort of like a snow globe with the flat earth floating in it? Maybe the container is more like the container that holds Kandor in Superman's super fortress and the earth is like a little doodad sitting on God's desk some place.
All good thoughts. If only "flat Earth" had a comprehensive theory to explore. Odd how they have had equal time but are so far behind............

Old 1st December 2017, 07:34 PM   #279
The Big Dog

All good thoughts. If only "flat Earth" had a comprehensive theory to explore. Odd how they have had equal time but are so far behind............
You are talking about people who do not understand basic geometry and how shadows work, so....
Old 1st December 2017, 07:36 PM   #280
davefoc
Philosopher

Thanks I was particularly proud of the Superman Fortress of Solitude reference. A little homage to the ten year old davefoc reading his comic books.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories