ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th January 2013, 04:04 AM   #41
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Hubert Cumberdale View Post
If it was in the UK, we'd have built a supermarket on it by now
Yep, the living are more important than the dead.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 05:11 AM   #42
Hazel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
And as usual in such threads, I find myself reminded of a poem by one of my favorite authors:

REALITY DEMANDS, by Wislawa Szymborska
Oh! What a wonderful picture of Planet Earth. Tell me. The first time you read this, did you sit for five minutes with your mind in a deep brown study? I did. He makes us think without telling us what to think! Who is Wislawa Szymborska? I never heard of him. What a poet he is! Hard to get away from him.

I've gone off-topic, I know, but one thing leads to another. I've much to do today but I fear I've just gone astray. Thank you so very much.
Old 30th January 2013, 05:18 AM   #43
Hazel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
A lot of Revolutionary Battlefields are gone or endangered as well. In fairness a lot of the development was simple growth in the 19th century:

There's little left of Bunker/Breeds Hill. A monument with a small patch of land around it.

Almost all the NY battlefields are developed over.

In NJ, Monmouth is preserved but developers constantly beg to develop right to the edge of the state park. Fort Mercer is a park, but none of the original fort remains. Trenton has the Barracks and nothing else. Princeton preserved a few fields.

In PA, Brandywine is protected but again developers try to build right to the edge. Germantown has the Chew house still standing, the area around it has a few historical houses, but the area was developed as a city might expect over the years. Fort Mifflin remains, but only because it was an active for for many years. Much of its history & construction is not original.

Down south, the Camden battlefield is preserved. I do not know what threats it faces. King's Mountain is a National Park, and may be too far from civilization to be threatened. Yorktown is part of the whole 'Colonial Williamsburg/Yorktown/Jamestown' history for profit region and is probably safe to some degree, although much of Williamburg is rebuilds.
If we must commemorate wars (don't get me started!), it is good to see someone remembering other than the War Between the States.
Old 30th January 2013, 06:24 AM   #44
Aepervius
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
Disney wanted to build a theme park near Gettysburg. It took quite a bit of effort by people from all parts of the US to get them to drop the plan. They were going to have civil war themed things at the park.

Good luck trying to stop businesses with no respect for history.
"Business" are amoral. "business" would profit on slavery (and some hold they do by using factory suppliers which use child labor) as long as it brings a bit more profit. If killing puppies and kitten in gruesome horrible painful way was profitable we would have a "kitty-killy mart" by now.

Last edited by Aepervius; 30th January 2013 at 06:27 AM.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 06:41 AM   #45
Hazel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
"Business" are amoral. "business" would profit on slavery (and some hold they do by using factory suppliers which use child labor) as long as it brings a bit more profit. If killing puppies and kitten in gruesome horrible painful way was profitable we would have a "kitty-killy mart" by now.
Well said, Aepervius. And twice that I recall (probably more often), wars have pulled us out of depressions. Having said that, I am suddenly asking myself - was that only in America? Am I right that it wasn't so true in Europe where the war was actually fought? Wasn't recovery more slow there?
Old 30th January 2013, 06:48 AM   #46
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
Oh! What a wonderful picture of Planet Earth. Tell me. The first time you read this, did you sit for five minutes with your mind in a deep brown study? I did. He makes us think without telling us what to think! Who is Wislawa Szymborska? I never heard of him. What a poet he is! Hard to get away from him.

I've gone off-topic, I know, but one thing leads to another. I've much to do today but I fear I've just gone astray. Thank you so very much.
Wislawa Szymborska, you'll be glad to know, is a woman. Or she was. Alas, she died about a year ago. She won a Nobel Prize in 1996. Well worth finding the collected works, because there's a lot more that's good, and that will leave you thinking about a lot of things, although my edition, at least, only goes to 1997, and she kept writing long after. All that we read is translated from the Polish, but it certainly seems to make the transition well.

If you do a Google search, a lot will show up, but translated versions of some poems will vary.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 06:53 AM   #47
Hazel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Wislawa Szymborska, you'll be glad to know, is a woman. Or she was. Alas, she died about a year ago. She won a Nobel Prize in 1996. Well worth finding the collected works, because there's a lot more that's good, and that will leave you thinking about a lot of things, although my edition, at least, only goes to 1997, and she kept writing long after. All that we read is translated from the Polish, but it certainly seems to make the transition well.

If you do a Google search, a lot will show up, but translated versions of some poems will vary.
Thank you. I'll be sending a new book order soon and shall add one of hers to the list.
Old 30th January 2013, 07:15 PM   #48
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
Yep, the living are more important than the dead.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate—we can not consecrate—we can not hallow—this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2013, 07:07 AM   #49
Polaris
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fitzgibbon View Post
Bit of a sad comment. Obviously, not every battle of every war can or should be preserved for posterity. Otherwise we'd be worrying about tromping on important corpses all the time. Bit it's not all-or-nothing either. We have to recognise the important engagements and give them their due notice otherwise we run the risk of forgetting what it was that made them notable and important

Fitz
*French accent mode*

"We named it 'Omaha Beach Miniature Golf', what else do you Americans want?!"

*End French accent mode*.

At least the bunkers, hedgehogs, Tobruks and witness houses are still there, even if the shingle is now all sand and the seawall is gone. The bunkers even still have their battle damage and PAK 75s.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2013, 07:23 AM   #50
Hazel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by fitzgibbon View Post
Bit of a sad comment. Obviously, not every battle of every war can or should be preserved for posterity. Otherwise we'd be worrying about tromping on important corpses all the time. Bit it's not all-or-nothing either. We have to recognise the important engagements and give them their due notice otherwise we run the risk of forgetting what it was that made them notable and important

Fitz
"Important engagements". How many of you saw mention of Pearl Harbor in your local newspapers last December? How many saw it mentioined anywhere? How many get blank stares when you say "I was at Pearl Harbor" or "My father was at Pearl Harbor"?

It's all right, Fitz. I do understand what you are saying. It's just a thought that crosses my mind every 7 December and I deliberately search the papers or listen to NPR just to see or hear ---- nothing.
Old 1st February 2013, 12:06 PM   #51
Spindrift
My little friend is back!

Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
"Important engagements". How many of you saw mention of Pearl Harbor in your local newspapers last December? How many saw it mentioined anywhere? How many get blank stares when you say "I was at Pearl Harbor" or "My father was at Pearl Harbor"?

It's all right, Fitz. I do understand what you are saying. It's just a thought that crosses my mind every 7 December and I deliberately search the papers or listen to NPR just to see or hear ---- nothing.
You really run into a lot of people who don't know about Pearl Harbor? Can't say as I do.

My local area newspaper always runs an article, even the weekly paper mentions it.
Old 1st February 2013, 12:38 PM   #52
Hazel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
You really run into a lot of people who don't know about Pearl Harbor? Can't say as I do.

My local area newspaper always runs an article, even the weekly paper mentions it.
Some papers do, yes. Some don't. It's just something I watch. On the other hand, there are a lot of things I don't remember. So----- But, yes, I think it is being remember less and less often. More so, WW I.
Old 5th February 2013, 10:50 AM   #53
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
*French accent mode*

"We named it 'Omaha Beach Miniature Golf', what else do you Americans want?!"

*End French accent mode*.

At least the bunkers, hedgehogs, Tobruks and witness houses are still there, even if the shingle is now all sand and the seawall is gone. The bunkers even still have their battle damage and PAK 75s.
And apparently Bosworth Battlefield was made into a Parking Lot....
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2013, 02:43 PM   #54
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And apparently Bosworth Battlefield was made into a Parking Lot....
I actually looked around for a 'Like'-button.

Quoting you will have to do..
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts