IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 2nd March 2018, 02:33 AM   #641
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
More reports on CNN tonight that Trump's main economic advisor might well quit over the Tariff.
And the Wall Street Journal blasted Trump for his tariffs, calling it the worst policy decision of his presidency so far. In terms of damaging the economy, they well might be right.
A lot of big businesses like the cheap imports.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 05:52 AM   #642
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

More reports on CNN tonight that Trump's main economic advisor might well quit over the Tariff.
And the Wall Street Journal blasted Trump for his tariffs, calling it the worst policy decision of his presidency so far. In terms of damaging the economy, they well might be right.
And to what end? Steel manufactures aren't coming back. The economy has moved on. These tariffs won't last into the next administration and what's left of the steel manufacturers know that. This is yet another unforced error. There was nothing driving him to a decision point here.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 06:22 AM   #643
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

According to Politico, Hicks likely quit because she was hearing too much about the Russia investigation from Trump. Literally everything he says publicly or privately is a fact (not of its truth, but of Trump's mindset). Every minute she spends with him is more ammunition for the prosecutor.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 06:33 AM   #644
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
According to Politico, Hicks likely quit because she was hearing too much about the Russia investigation from Trump. Literally everything he says publicly or privately is a fact (not of its truth, but of Trump's mindset). Every minute she spends with him is more ammunition for the prosecutor.
..or about Jared's hair-brained schemes to pressure foreign governments into giving money to his company.
Old 2nd March 2018, 09:02 AM   #645
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Trump... but in all seriousness, I will take Sessions or Tillerson for the win.
I cannot believe those guys are still hanging in there.

Especially Jeff.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/s...56627144003585
Old 2nd March 2018, 10:27 AM   #646
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Sessions really likes having that "Kick Me'' sign on his back...
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 10:35 AM   #647
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
I cannot believe those guys are still hanging in there.

Especially Jeff.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/s...56627144003585
I get the sense that Tillerson is on a mission to be the last man standing.

He might (or might not!) be pure evil, but he ain't stupid, and he ain't a wimp.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 10:51 AM   #648
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

President Trumptard is now looking to give the boot to his hot daughter Ivanka and son-in-law Jared.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...054041828.html

President Trump Asked Chief Of Staff To Remove Ivanka And Jared Kushner – Report

A New York Times column by Maggie Haberman and Mark Landler claims President Donald Trump asked his chief of staff John Kelly for help in ousting first daughter Ivanka Trump and son-in-law Jared Kushner from their advisory roles at the White House.

It is unclear if the president is asking them to leave out of compassion or, as the Times hints, concerns about Kushner’s potential legal issues over various business dealings. The Times story also reports that President Trump has spoken to Kushner and Ivanka Trump and asked them to stay on at the White House but privately has claimed they “never should have come” to work there. Thus, he has asked Kelly to be the instigator of their departure.

Last edited by Crossbow; 2nd March 2018 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Typo correction
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 11:27 AM   #649
Loss Leader

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
It is unclear if the president is asking them to leave out of compassion or, as the Times hints, concerns about Kushner’s potential legal issues over various business dealings. The Times story also reports that President Trump has spoken to Kushner and Ivanka Trump and asked them to stay on at the White House but privately has claimed they “never should have come” to work there. Thus, he has asked Kelly to be the instigator of their departure.

This fits Trump's modus operandi. Reportedly, he hates firing people. He sort of freezes them out and then has a subordinate tell them they're not welcome anymore. It's bizarre, though, that he can't even have an honest conversation with his own daughter.

I'm not saying this rumor's true. McMaster and Cohn will be the next ones out.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 01:37 PM   #650
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump says the reporting on McMasters imminent departure are "fake news".
Given the record,he will be gone within a month.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 02:11 PM   #651
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, you can take a story to the bank when The Hair calls it fake news.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 02:19 PM   #652
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

One commentator thinks that some of the people who have stayed on in hopes of somehow containing Trump and talking him out of his worse ideas will leaved in droves because his rejecting of the advice of almost all his advisors on Tariffs, means he will state going by his "gut feelings: more and more,and the only thing to do is jump ship and wait until the after the inevitable shipwreck to salvage what can be salvaged.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 04:43 PM   #653
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

And people though that Hitler's rants against the Jews were just for political purposes.
I have come to think that if someone says bigoted things and acts like a bigot, it is safest to think he is a bigot.

Hell, even if they aren't, why would they stop doing something that's getting them exactly what they want?

Hitler may very well have not hated Jews (and hid it pretty well), but if he was convinced that pandering is what got him the popularity and power that he was seeking, of course he would run with it. At some point it just doesn't matter what his actual opinion of Jews may have been.

So, yep... If a person's outward behavior is consistently in line with a certain personality type, with little to no evidence of their "true" personality, it's in the world's best interest to treat that person as the personality type they present to us.

Last edited by Cl1mh4224rd; 2nd March 2018 at 04:45 PM.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 08:45 PM   #654
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Surrounds himself with sychophants who are afraid to disagree with him.
Increasingly Isolated from all but his his most boot licking sycophants.
Rejecting reality when it clashes with his ideological obssesions.
Finding "traitors" everywhere.
Turning on people who were once his allies.
Now who does that remind you of in his last days?

Whether the similarity has merit or not, I find that part about "his last days" to be pleasant, somehow.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 08:47 PM   #655
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Trump says the reporting on McMasters imminent departure are "fake news".
Given the record,he will be gone within a month.....
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Yeah, you can take a story to the bank when The Hair calls it fake news.
"Never believe anything until it is officially denied."
An old adage revitalized.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 09:10 PM   #656
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

So Kelly is now the new Cheney?
Looks like he controls everything except Twitter...
Old 5th March 2018, 05:44 AM   #657
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You give the lot of them too much credit for maturity.

Speculating: Her boyfriend was canned. Probably led to some tension. Trump's pressures are mounting. He's been yelling at everyone, surely he shouted at Hicks. She's been grumbling not used to not being in a snowflake role. She gets back from the Mueller interrogation, it's leaked about the admission of white lies, Trump is his unable to control himself mood yells some more at poor little Hicks and she says, fine I quit.
That was congress not Mueller interview.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 11:54 PM   #658
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The only thing keeping Mattis in the White House is the fact that Trump can't find an alternative candidate who will help him ban Transgender people from serving in the US forces.
Old 6th March 2018, 03:46 PM   #659
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Gary Cohn is resigning.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 04:56 PM   #660
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Who had Cohn in the deadpool?
Old 6th March 2018, 05:28 PM   #661
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

My current pick is Kelly.

Scaramucci, who is still a Trump cultist, recently referred to Kelly as General Jackass, among other sharp criticisms. And it's being reported that Trump is complicit in this outburst.
Old 6th March 2018, 05:46 PM   #662
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Do we keep a running list of all the White House staff who started with Donny in Jan 2017, and strike out their names as they go? Someone who likes to keep book on these things might like to offer odds on each one as well.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 05:51 PM   #663
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Do we keep a running list of all the White House staff who started with Donny in Jan 2017, and strike out their names as they go? Someone who likes to keep book on these things might like to offer odds on each one as well.

The Daily Show is sort of keeping track: https://www.facebook.com/thedailysho...type=3&theater

If that doesn't work, here's a direct link to the image: https://scontent.fagc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...8c&oe=5B3ABE56
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 06:21 PM   #664
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Oh deary deary me, Kellyanne.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-says-watchdog
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 06:51 PM   #665
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

She will get a promotion and a raise.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th March 2018, 06:55 PM   #666
Loss Leader

That would be me:

McMaster and Cohn will be the next ones out.

Once Trump announced the tariffs, Cohn was a dead man walking.

L. Leader
Old 7th March 2018, 12:18 AM   #667
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

So she WILL be the next to leave!
Old 7th March 2018, 01:07 AM   #668
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

She's been admonished for promoting Ivanka's products, then several stores stopped carrying Ivanka's line. Then she got behind Roy Moore and he lost.

Am I wrong in wanting to send her into several flipp-able districts. "Oh, and wear the stupid red-white-and-blue coat, wontcha?"

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 04:00 PM   #669
crescent
Philosopher

Not quite the White House, but the Chief of the U.S. Forest Service retired about an hour ago, effective immediately with no warning.

Previously in his USFS career, he had done this:

Quote:
“Initiated prior to 2005, the sexual misconduct involved a two-year affair between Mr. Tooke, then Deputy Forest Supervisor in Florida and a student from the SCEP program, who was newly converted to a permanent position in Florida, where Mr. Tooke was assigned,” the retired employee wrote Aug. 31, 2017.
Quote:
“During his two-year course of sexual misconduct and affair, Mr. Tooke made repeated calls to the Regional Director of Communications and the Forest Communications Staff Officer urging them to create a new Communications position on the Ocala District in Florida. Mr. Tooke further urged the Regional Director to make placement for the young female employee. The female employee involved in the affair was promoted into the newly created position,” the letter stated.
She was his subordinate - not a direct report, under Tooke's chain of command. Some of the people he pressured to create positions for her were also under his chain of command. This was well known and publicized before they appointed him. Yet, they still brought him out of retirement to put him in charge of the agency.

Last edited by crescent; 7th March 2018 at 04:03 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 06:11 PM   #670
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Can't really blame Trump for that one, I think.
Old 7th March 2018, 06:47 PM   #671
crescent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Can't really blame Trump for that one, I think.
Why not?

Tooke's transgressions were well known when he was appointed as Chief by the Trump administration.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 07:01 PM   #672
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Probably. The current administration doesn't think anything as mundane as the law applies to it.
Old 8th March 2018, 09:53 AM   #673
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

This fits Trump's modus operandi. Reportedly, he hates firing people. He sort of freezes them out and then has a subordinate tell them they're not welcome anymore. It's bizarre, though, that he can't even have an honest conversation with his own daughter.

I'm not saying this rumor's true. McMaster and Cohn will be the next ones out.
That would be me:
Old 8th March 2018, 10:56 AM   #674
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Why not?

Tooke's transgressions were well known when he was appointed as Chief by the Trump administration.
Oh, ok. I had the misapprehension that he was already there.
Old 12th March 2018, 12:03 PM   #675
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Sec. of Education DeVos might be on the list for failure to embrace Trump's "Arm School Teachers" initiative with enthusiasm combined with her terrible, embrassing performance on Meet the Press yesterday,which has White House Officials concerned.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th March 2018, 12:57 PM   #676
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

DeVos won't go. Yet, anyway. She represents the evangelical vote which are about the only block Donny hasn't completely betrayed and insulted in public yet.
Old 12th March 2018, 12:59 PM   #677
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
DeVos won't go. Yet, anyway. She represents the evangelical vote which are about the only block Donny hasn't completely betrayed and insulted in public yet.
Well, he has, by metaphorically taking a big ole dump on most of those ten commandments, but that block has it's blinders firmly in place so that's okay.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 01:11 PM   #678
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Sec. of Education DeVos might be on the list for failure to embrace Trump's "Arm School Teachers" initiative with enthusiasm combined with her terrible, embrassing performance on Meet the Press yesterday,which has White House Officials concerned.
She's currently bragging on twitter that test scores in Michigan declined after her preferred policies were put in place. 50 Senators and the Vice President voted to confirm this clueless clown.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 04:54 PM   #679
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I gather she completely screwed the neighbor's dog on "60 Minutes" too.
Old 12th March 2018, 07:44 PM   #680
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I gather she completely screwed the neighbor's dog on "60 Minutes" too.
Was it called "Stormy"?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics