IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 22nd March 2018, 04:36 PM   #801
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

It only needs one more high-level resignation to fix everything. Just one...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 04:44 PM   #802
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I admit, I am beginning to hope for a Von Stauffenberg.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 04:47 PM   #803
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I admit, I am beginning to hope for a Von Stauffenberg.
Except he didn't get the job done. Valiant effort, to be sure, but not a success.

I think you mean a John Wilkes Booth. But Donny doesn't go to the theater unless he is intending to buy the building and raze it for cheap condos.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 05:05 PM   #804
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And now Genghis John, the man who thinks the US needs to bomb a few countries to regain respect is the most powerful man in foreign policy.
I hope every one who voted for Trump rots in hell.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 05:51 PM   #805
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

I think quite a lot of people voted Trump because they have crappy lives.

Which is some consolation.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:38 PM   #806
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

And now Genghis John, the man who thinks the US needs to bomb a few countries to regain respect is the most powerful man in foreign policy.
QFT

Also - I think Kelly is next out the door.
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:50 PM   #807
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
QFT

Also - I think Kelly is next out the door.
Honestly, at this point, it shouldn't count of you're right. Might as well wager that water is wet.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:43 PM   #808
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Honestly, at this point, it shouldn't count of you're right. Might as well wager that water is wet.
IDK, with Dowd gone I think it could just as easily be Session next ...
Old 22nd March 2018, 09:29 PM   #809
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Fascinating! Horrible...but still fascinating!
Old 22nd March 2018, 11:33 PM   #810
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Deleted for drunken candor

Last edited by chrispy; 23rd March 2018 at 01:19 AM.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 06:54 AM   #811
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
I'm more worried that he seems to be replacing a lot of the staff with more pro-war picks. Having "Wag the Dog" thoughts about that, and that worries me.

I could see Trump starting a conflict somewhere to draw attention away from the numerous investigations and litigations at home.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 07:05 AM   #812
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

That's pretty close to how I've described this entire administration.
Old 23rd March 2018, 07:11 AM   #813
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
I'm more worried that he seems to be replacing a lot of the staff with more pro-war picks. Having "Wag the Dog" thoughts about that, and that worries me.

I could see Trump starting a conflict somewhere to draw attention away from the numerous investigations and litigations at home.
He's running the country like you'd run a business - by bringing in a bunch of war hawks.

The dumb thing is, he tried a bunch of business types. He learned they don't work out. So he goes back to the tried-and-true MO for the republicans - go to the military.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 08:49 AM   #814
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

I would say the Trump administration is a train wreck, but that would by unfairly insulting to train wrecks.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 08:53 AM   #815
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I would say the Trump administration is a train wreck, but that would by unfairly insulting to train wrecks.
There were fine trains on both sides.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 10:11 AM   #816
ddt
Mafia Penguin

You think he'll go for Iran first or for North Korea (or for ...)?

As to "most powerful man in foreign policy", shouldn't that be the Secretary of State?
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 10:18 AM   #817
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ddt View Post

As to "most powerful man in foreign policy", shouldn't that be the Secretary of State?
I am hoping he tries to sabotage Trump's meeting with NK leadership and ends up doing a Scaramoucci.
Old 23rd March 2018, 10:24 AM   #818
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
I am hoping he tries to sabotage Trump's meeting with NK leadership and ends up doing a Scaramoucci.
Or a Fandango.
Old 23rd March 2018, 12:54 PM   #819
ddt
Mafia Penguin

He's just a poor boy?
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 01:02 PM   #820
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
He's just a poor boy?
Can't speak to that. But definitely easy come, easy go.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 01:54 PM   #821
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
He's running the country like you'd run a business - by bringing in a bunch of war hawks.

The dumb thing is, he tried a bunch of business types. He learned they don't work out. So he goes back to the tried-and-true MO for the republicans - go to the military.
Not quite accurate, since he's getting rid of the generals because they didn't agree with him.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 02:04 PM   #822
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Some are suggesting that Putin will restrain Trump when it comes to Iran.
I am not so sure. Trump has a way of turning on his partners, and if he sees attacking Iran as a way of "Making America Great Again" he will ignore Putin on that issue.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 23rd March 2018, 02:09 PM   #823
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It should, but in the end it's who has the most influence with the President, and several times that has been a White House Advisor rather then the Secretary of State. Kissenger, back in the Nixon administration, was pretty much running foreign policy for a couple of years as National Security Advisor before moving into the Secretary of State position.
And I am sure this happens in other countries quite a bit as well...people who are advisors and outside the official chain of comman wield more power the people who on paper are their superiors. Examples run back all the way through history.
And it's not just government...it a common phenomenon in any large organization.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 23rd March 2018, 02:11 PM   #824
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
That's pretty close to how I've described this entire administration.
It's that old Chinese Curse;

"May You Live In Interesting Times>'.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 23rd March 2018, 03:45 PM   #825
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I am not so sure. Trump has a way of turning on his partners, and if he sees attacking Iran as a way of "Making America Trump Great Again" he will ignore Putin on that issue.

FTFY.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 03:54 PM   #826
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
FTFY.
I took it for a given that everybody knew that in Trump's mind; Trump equals America.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 23rd March 2018, 04:43 PM   #827
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I took it for a given that everybody knew that in Trump's mind; Trump equals America.

I don't think Trump gives a rat's ass about America. It can go to hell in a handbasket as long as he feels the adoration of his public. And since his public isn't and never has been "America", but always has been only a relatively small subset of its residents, he has little real interest in the overall welfare of the country.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 05:01 PM   #828
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

I am not so sure. Trump has a way of turning on his partners, and if he sees attacking Iran as a way of "Making America Great Again" he will ignore Putin on that issue.
I have a ladyfriend in Tehran who just got married. I suggested to her that she take her honeymoon in Thailand and simply stay there until at least 2020.

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I don't think Trump gives a rat's ass about America. It can go to hell in a handbasket as long as he feels the adoration of his public. And since his public isn't and never has been "America", but always has been only a relatively small subset of its residents, he has little real interest in the overall welfare of the country.
IMHO one of the biggest problems with this mess is that Trump is merely a symptom of a group of people who see themselves as the real Americans, with everybody else as less American or not American at all, due to race, religion or ethnicity. And now their champion is in the Oval Office.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2018, 08:27 AM   #829
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
IMHO one of the biggest problems with this mess is that Trump is merely a symptom of a group of people who see themselves as the real Americans, with everybody else as less American or not American at all, due to race, religion or ethnicity. And now their champion is in the Oval Office.
Frightened old white men cannot last forever. Numbers are not going to favor them in the long run. Some of them will start to look for something new once Trump falls. Unfortunately some of them will get even more scared and willing to try anything to keep "their" country.

The antidote is more young people registering to vote.
Old 24th March 2018, 08:51 AM   #830
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Frightened old white men cannot last forever. Numbers are not going to favor them in the long run. Some of them will start to look for something new once Trump falls. Unfortunately some of them will get even more scared and willing to try anything to keep "their" country.

I think what's happening today will have a large effect. (March for Our Lives)
Old 24th March 2018, 11:28 AM   #831
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The problem is how much damage can be done in the mean time.
Hitler eventually fell, but not before he did enormous damage and killed Millions of people.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th March 2018, 11:30 AM   #832
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I think what's happening today will have a large effect. (March for Our Lives)
I hope, even though I might not agree with the protestors on every point.
But what needs to happen is for this movement to become more then just about gun violence. I would live to see this kind of response if Trump does fire Mueller, for instance. It would be tragic if this becomes an one issue movement.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th March 2018, 04:07 PM   #833
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

One of the issues is that there are a lot of angry young white men too.

Young people aren't all as open minded and ready for diversity as we'd like. There are a lot of young bigots, often raised and taught by those frightened old white men to hate just as much as they do.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2018, 04:45 PM   #834
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post

Young people aren't all as open minded and ready for diversity as we'd like. There are a lot of young bigots, often raised and taught by those frightened old white men to hate just as much as they do.
Not as many as there was. I grant you, there are still too many, but believe me there are far fewer. The integration of races in urban areas has had a significant impact. The problem is in the very white rural areas.
Old 24th March 2018, 05:08 PM   #835
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Not as many as there was. I grant you, there are still too many, but believe me there are far fewer. The integration of races in urban areas has had a significant impact. The problem is in the very white rural areas.
True, but the other problem is how the US system is setup. As the more liberal minded people move to the cities, then the scales of representation tip further into the hands of the lesser numbers of rural America.

A State has two Senators regardless of how many people it has, so the people of massive States with large urban populations such as N.Y, Florida, and Cali have far less representation that smaller much more rural States such as Wyoming, Vermont, and Alaska.

On top of that the House of Representatives have a similar issue, especially if Gerrymandering is able to be continued (though considering the latest court cases it might be on the endangered list.)

It's going to make it hard to really change things when representation isn't proportional to the actual overall population.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2018, 05:30 PM   #836
Doubt
Philosopher

As already stated, not as many as you think. Also young people in general tend not to vote. But we now see one segment of them mobilizing now.

In the rural areas where the young and angry are more likely to be found you also find a lot of meth heads. Same segment of the population. Even if they are registered to vote the won't show up.
Old 24th March 2018, 06:00 PM   #837
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

True, but the other problem is how the US system is setup. As the more liberal minded people move to the cities, then the scales of representation tip further into the hands of the lesser numbers of rural America.

A State has two Senators regardless of how many people it has, so the people of massive States with large urban populations such as N.Y, Florida, and Cali have far less representation that smaller much more rural States such as Wyoming, Vermont, and Alaska.

On top of that the House of Representatives have a similar issue, especially if Gerrymandering is able to be continued (though considering the latest court cases it might be on the endangered list.)

It's going to make it hard to really change things when representation isn't proportional to the actual overall population.
Nobody knows this better than me. But I really think in the long run the advantage wont last.
Old 28th March 2018, 06:54 PM   #838
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Who had David Shulkin, Secretary of Vererans Affairs?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ned/382984002/
Old 28th March 2018, 08:07 PM   #839
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Who had David Shulkin, Secretary of Vererans Affairs?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ned/382984002/
Me! I mean I didn't post it, but I totally thought it, honest.

What did I win?

Actually, I thought a lot of the other guys too.

And is it too late to say Kelly, eventually? Not this week or the next but some time before Trump leaves office? Pretty sure bet.

Same with DeVos. And what's her name in the CIA, if she's approved.

ETA: how about everyone but Bolton?

Last edited by phiwum; 28th March 2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 28th March 2018, 09:39 PM   #840
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Me! I mean I didn't post it, but I totally thought it, honest.

What did I win?

Actually, I thought a lot of the other guys too.

And is it too late to say Kelly, eventually? Not this week or the next but some time before Trump leaves office? Pretty sure bet.

Same with DeVos. And what's her name in the CIA, if she's approved.

ETA: how about everyone but Bolton?
Kelly is an easy bet. Only variable is when.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics