IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 16th August 2017, 12:01 PM   #121
Tommy Jeppesen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Do you sincerely believe the world is more likely to become a better place with Bannon in the White House instead of the hospital?
That is not relevant as such, what is relevant that you wish for it and it includes a human getting worse. I thought you want a better world?!! Then why wish ill on another human? Bannon is also a human, albeit a bad one.

Last edited by Tommy Jeppesen; 16th August 2017 at 12:23 PM.
Tommy Jeppesen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 12:23 PM   #122
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Changing my vote back to Bannon.

It looks like one of those Confederate statues may have been his final horcrux.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f9c0eb21bb.jpg
Is that a doctored photo?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 12:26 PM   #123
Tommy Jeppesen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Yes, by the Onion.
Old 16th August 2017, 12:34 PM   #124
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tommy Jeppesen View Post
That is not relevant as such, what is relevant that you wish for it and it includes a human getting worse. I thought you want a better world?!! Then why wish ill on another human?
Because he is actively making the world worse on a daily basis. Why should we wish him good health?
Old 16th August 2017, 12:55 PM   #125
Tommy Jeppesen
Illuminator

Because he is actively making the world worse on a daily basis. Why should we wish him good health?
Because we believe in humans, want a better world for all and that includes Bannon. If you cut him, he bleeds. He is a human like you and I.
Old 16th August 2017, 01:07 PM   #126
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

If you truly want a better world for all, Tommy, you may want to reconsider whether having white nationalists in power and in good health is really helping out with your project.
Old 16th August 2017, 01:12 PM   #127
fuelair
Banned

Because we believe in humans, want a better world for all and that includes Bannon. If you cut him, he bleeds. He is a human like you and I.
I believe some humans want a better world FOR ALL, but Trump, Bannon, the basket of deplorables and their ilk, the white onlies and all their relations are not among them. Would love to send them all to Mars to do their best there. For the few days or hours they would survive. That those bleed if cut (etc.) is fine, but their minds are dead and useless for any real human advancement.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 01:28 PM   #128
Tommy Jeppesen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I believe some humans want a better world FOR ALL, but Trump, Bannon, the basket of deplorables and their ilk, the white onlies and all their relations are not among them. Would love to send them all to Mars to do their best there. For the few days or hours they would survive. That those bleed if cut (etc.) is fine, but their minds are dead and useless for any real human advancement.
So you hate the right and wonder why they won't listen to you, right?
Old 16th August 2017, 01:36 PM   #129
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
If you think America is dead as a democracy, just say so.
What makes you think that I do ?

IMO Trump would be far happier if he was allowed to Tweet to his heart's content, issue Executive Orders and be told how successful he is whilst the messy business of day to day government is done by the GOP - but Trump gets to complain when it goes wrong from his perspective.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 02:08 PM   #130
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If you truly want a better world for all, Tommy, you may want to reconsider whether having white nationalists in power and in good health is really helping out with your project.
Yeah, being sympathetic and understanding toward Nazis really works well.
Turned out really good for Neville Chamberlane in 1938.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 02:10 PM   #131
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If you want to sing "Kumbaya" and embrace abunch of Nazis and Klansmen in hopes of making them see the error of your ways, good luck. Me, I will depend upon a sock full of ****** a la Woody Allen in "Manhatten".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 02:32 PM   #132
Tommy Jeppesen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
If you want to sing "Kumbaya" and embrace abunch of Nazis and Klansmen in hopes of making them see the error of your ways, good luck. Me, I will depend upon a sock full of ****** a la Woody Allen in "Manhatten".
I am not demanding of you that I become me. I am trying to understand you and see where there are overlaps and differences.

So the Neo-Nazis, the KKK and so on are nothing different like Hitler and WWII. Okay.
Old 16th August 2017, 02:56 PM   #133
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Yes, by the Onion.

It is the first (and only other) place I've seen it: Nervous Steve Bannon Binge-Eats Entire Class Of Interns Amid Calls For Removal.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 03:02 PM   #134
fuelair
Banned

Why do you think I care if they listen? I have no interest in what they think their problems are and none in their upkeep/existence.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 11:38 PM   #135
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Do you think they'd listen if they weren't hated?

Do you really think that matters to them?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 11:51 PM   #136
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It's not safe for my brain! There's a picture of Trump in it! Shame on you linking to such terrible material!
At least he wasn't naked.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2017, 12:09 AM   #137
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently Steve Bannon has dubbed white nationalists clowns

Quote:
The chief White House strategist Steve Bannon has attacked white nationalists as "clowns" as the fallout from violent protests in Charlottesville continues.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40958329

It's not clear to me whether he is calling all white nationalists clowns or whether he's just criticising the bunch in Charlottesville for being incompetent white nationalists...
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2017, 12:25 AM   #138
TheSupermeerkat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

It's not clear to me whether he is calling all white nationalists clowns or whether he's just criticising the bunch in Charlottesville for being incompetent white nationalists...

The latter I'm sure, as giving these people the benefit of the doubt just doesn't work.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2017, 10:10 AM   #139
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

In the same interview he didn't know he was giving, he correctly says there's no military solution to North Korea.
Old 17th August 2017, 10:15 AM   #140
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
In the same interview he didn't know he was giving, he correctly says there's no military solution to North Korea.
The whole interview is full of gems where he claims to discover what everyone else has been saying for decades.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2017, 10:23 AM   #141
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
The whole interview is full of gems where he claims to discover what everyone else has been saying for decades.
So like Trump discovering Lincoln was a Republican or applying the phrase "priming the pump" to economics for the first time
Old 17th August 2017, 10:38 AM   #142
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

More a case of Bannon's Covering His Ass since his opponents in the GOP are making him the fall guy for Trump's horrendous handling of Charlottesville. Classic Bureaucratic move.
Or maybe Bannon has decided that his support of Overt White Nationalism has become counter productive, and now he is trying to discard them as having served their purpose.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 17th August 2017, 10:39 AM   #143
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
The latter I'm sure, as giving these people the benefit of the doubt just doesn't work.
Or maybe he just saw the White nationalist as a useful political tool, but now they have become a drag on his agenda, and time to throw them to the Wolves.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 17th August 2017, 01:26 PM   #144
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
It is the first (and only other) place I've seen it: Nervous Steve Bannon Binge-Eats Entire Class Of Interns Amid Calls For Removal.
Sorry for creating the impression that photo may have been real. Bad skeptic.

In related news, my chips are still on Bannon: https://news.vice.com/story/steve-ba...=vicenewsfbads
Old 17th August 2017, 02:36 PM   #145
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

In related news, my chips are still on Bannon: https://news.vice.com/story/steve-ba...=vicenewsfbads
I was hoping for a scaramucci, but this ain't one. The Mooch blundered big time: He was caught by rude emotions while not understanding the rules of talking with the press.
Bannon called with a clear agenda, apparently calmly and prepared, with a message he wanted to get out.

I'd call it a gamble: He is there actually spelling out a long-term strategy - and that is his job!
His base ideology - economic nationalism - may be de-facto a bad idea (measure by "will it actually further its stated objectives"), but it is not vile. the Nation is a real thing, and it is generally regarded and often cherished as something positive. The US nation is different from other nations in terms of constitution, history and of course economy, and that is a good thing; and it is, a priori, perfectly legitimate to think about ways to make differences work in one's own favour. Assuming that Bannon honestly believes trade wars benefit the national economy, then he is rational and well-meaning. Calling opposition press and explaining one's strategy is a thing I wish governments would do frequently and openly.

I think Bannon is gambling. Taking a risk. And hoping that Trump will reward the risk taker over the career politicians.

He has nicely positioned himself against Kelly even, without mentioning Kelly at all.

My money on next one out remains on Kelly.
Old 17th August 2017, 06:43 PM   #146
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Mattis will be the last man standing, some years from now, when all the rest have gone. I think Kelly will be around for a bit, as I don't think he'll want to leave a job half done.

The sooner Bannon is gone, the better.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 09:55 AM   #147
seayakin
Graduate Poster

Bannon is gone. New York Times
Old 18th August 2017, 09:56 AM   #148
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Bannon Out!

Winners please collect your money at the cashier's window.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 09:57 AM   #149
NoahFence
Banned

Up next....

Donald J Trump himself.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 10:01 AM   #150
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
My money on next one out remains on Kelly.
Dayum!!

Gorka next? (Does Gorka have a position in the WH? Other than barking rabid dog?)
Old 18th August 2017, 10:11 AM   #151
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Dayum!!

Gorka next? (Does Gorka have a position in the WH? Other than barking rabid dog?)
Irony is that even the other members of the Bannon wing of the White House thought Gorka was an idiot and tried to get him transferred to another Govenrment agency, but no other agency wanted him.......

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th August 2017, 10:12 AM   #152
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Dayum!!

It will be interesting how many of the Bannon crowd leave. I suspect that Miller is safe since he has built his own power base, and I would not be surprised if Miller stabbed Bannon in the back in th White House wars.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th August 2017, 10:12 AM   #153
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Dayum!!

Director of the Office of Public Liaison George Sifakis was next.

Quote:
PLAYBOOK SCOOP -- ON HIS WAY OUT AT THE WHITE HOUSE -- GEORGE SIFAKIS, director of the Office of Public Liaison, is leaving the White House, according to multiple administration sources. A White House spokesman did not respond to a request for comment. Sources familiar with situation said White House started looking for candidates to replace him in early August. Sifakis is a close ally and personal friend of former chief of staff Reince Priebus.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 10:14 AM   #154
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I expect that Sessions will be the next major player to get the boot.
Well, I am wrong about Trump again!

I was sure that Sessions would have been the next one to get his walking papers, but instead it is Bannon who got the boot.
Old 18th August 2017, 10:19 AM   #155
portlandatheist
Illuminator

All this crisis, chaos, drama, and back stabbing really keeps you at the edge of your seat. All the good qualities of great reality TV.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 10:33 AM   #156
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Bannon Out!

Winners please collect your money at the cashier's window.
Woo hoo!

One last link before we forget him: https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/g...-steve-bannon/
Old 18th August 2017, 10:34 AM   #157
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
All this crisis, chaos, drama, and back stabbing really keeps you at the edge of your seat. All the good qualities of great reality TV.
Sometimes the people really do get what they voted for...well people in key swing states at least.
Old 18th August 2017, 10:41 AM   #158
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

"Game of Thrones" also comes to mind.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th August 2017, 10:45 AM   #159
Belz...
Fiend God

Hell, these last three weeks I've been watching the first 6 seasons of Game of Thrones and it isn't as bloody and entertaining as this ****-show.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 10:47 AM   #160
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Well, shoot. I had my marker on Sessions. He's got some real durability for a racist leprechaun.

Who else is left, aside from the members of his own household? At this point the Trump administration seems to be run by interns and interested passers-by.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics