IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 24th August 2020, 09:03 AM   #2441
sackett
Philosopher

A quandary over here:

I can't decide whether to call her Crawley Ann Killway or Killyanne Crawlspace.

I have a Facebork audience! They expect strictly uppercrust satire! They're waiting! Help me out here, you upper n lower crusts!

When I lashed them with a length of chain, they called me sir.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2020, 09:13 AM   #2442
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently Kellyanne's teen daughter has applied for emancipation from her parents and both she and George are stepping away from their political activities to heal the family. Can't fault them for that.
Old 24th August 2020, 10:21 AM   #2443
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I loved that outfit. Cosplay comes to the White House. Very fashionable and expensive cosplay, but cosplay nonetheless.
Personally, I still miss Sean Spicer.
Old 24th August 2020, 11:16 AM   #2444
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Apparently Kellyanne's teen daughter has applied for emancipation from her parents and both she and George are stepping away from their political activities to heal the family. Can't fault them for that.
For once, someone in politics said, "I am resigning in order to spend more time with my family." and I actually believed her.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2020, 03:33 PM   #2445
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Their daughter may have done the nation a great service. George won't really be missed at the Lincoln project but the loss of Kellyanne will hurt Trump. She plays an important role for him and this close to the election her leaving will have an impact.
Old 24th August 2020, 04:09 PM   #2446
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think the rats are starting to abandon the sinking ship.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2020, 06:47 PM   #2447
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think the rats are starting to abandon the sinking ship.
Starting?

List of Trump administration dismissals and resignations - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...d_resignations
Orphia Nay is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2020, 09:54 PM   #2448
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Their daughter may have done the nation a great service. George won't really be missed at the Lincoln project but the loss of Kellyanne will hurt Trump. She plays an important role for him and this close to the election her leaving will have an impact.
Do we know that that's really the case?

What does George Conway do in the Lincoln project? Was he just a figurehead? Maybe he plays a role in the regular operations (helping design the ads, or helping arranging fundraising.)

And just how important is Kellyanne Conway to Trump? We know he doesn't tend to actually listen to advice. And lets face it, some of her actions have been embarrassing (alternative facts anyone?)

I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong... I just don't have enough information to say either way. But its possible that the loss of George Conway will harm the lincoln project more than the loss of Kellyanne Conway will harm Trump.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2020, 10:18 PM   #2449
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I have to wonder if after todays PERFORMANCE!!! that Kimberly Guilfoyle will get her job. I don't even know what Conway's job was lately, but I can see Trump looking at KG and saying, "Hey, I like this gal!"
Old 24th August 2020, 11:58 PM   #2450
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I have to wonder if after todays PERFORMANCE!!! that Kimberly Guilfoyle will get her job. I don't even know what Conway's job was lately, but I can see Trump looking at KG and saying, "Hey, I like this gal!"
Is she young enough?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2020, 12:22 AM   #2451
erlando
Master Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
What the hell was THAT? A succubus?
Old 25th August 2020, 12:27 AM   #2452
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Is she young enough?
Is she blonde enough?
Orphia Nay is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2020, 01:11 AM   #2453
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
What the hell was THAT? A succubus?
No self-respecting succubus would go anywhere near Trump's bloated carcass.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2020, 11:46 AM   #2454
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
List of Trump administration dismissals and resignations - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...d_resignations
Old 25th September 2020, 06:10 PM   #2455
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Judge rules that Trump's 'temporary' Bureau of Land Management chief, who has been in the position for over a year, has been blocked from that job.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/25/91711...EYaF6PbDFc6JHw

Now expect either a stalling appeal, another 'temporary' leader with similar scruples, or for the Trump administration to just ignore the ruling.
Old 26th September 2020, 08:21 AM   #2456
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Judge rules that Trump's 'temporary' Bureau of Land Management chief, who has been in the position for over a year, has been blocked from that job.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/25/91711...EYaF6PbDFc6JHw

Now expect either a stalling appeal, another 'temporary' leader with similar scruples, or for the Trump administration to just ignore the ruling.
I'm really confused. He was nominated for the post in June, his nomination was withdrawn in August, and he has never been confirmed by the Senate for any post at all (which has been Trump's usual way of sliding in an "interim" head without having to deal with messy stuff like Senate confirmation that the person is qualified)

In what way is the ruling "outrageous" as claimed by a "Department of the Interior spokesman"?
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 12:06 PM   #2457
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I'm really confused. He was nominated for the post in June, his nomination was withdrawn in August, and he has never been confirmed by the Senate for any post at all (which has been Trump's usual way of sliding in an "interim" head without having to deal with messy stuff like Senate confirmation that the person is qualified)

In what way is the ruling "outrageous" as claimed by a "Department of the Interior spokesman"?
When the Emperor is parading in his new clothes, it's outrageous to shout that he is naked.
Old 27th September 2020, 09:56 PM   #2458
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
When the Emperor is parading in his new clothes, it's outrageous to shout that he is naked.
Would that be the guy responsible for raking th federal forests?
Old 27th September 2020, 11:27 PM   #2459
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I suspect one of the first items on the order of business for the new Congress will be to pass laws that restrict "interim" and "acting" position holders to a very short period, like 90 days. And that the position must be filled within that 90 day period, and Senate committee approval must be provided to fill the position. Should that not happen, the position will become vacant until the requirements ARE met, and no further legislation affecting that department, nor management structural changes, nor changes in business practices, can come into effect in the meantime. The incentive will be to fill the position with a cross-party suitable candidate, or the department stalls.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2020, 11:52 PM   #2460
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I suspect one of the first items on the order of business for the new Congress will be to pass laws that restrict "interim" and "acting" position holders to a very short period, like 90 days. And that the position must be filled within that 90 day period, and Senate committee approval must be provided to fill the position. Should that not happen, the position will become vacant until the requirements ARE met, and no further legislation affecting that department, nor management structural changes, nor changes in business practices, can come into effect in the meantime. The incentive will be to fill the position with a cross-party suitable candidate, or the department stalls.
For Republicans, that in itself may be a desired outcome for some departments.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 03:16 AM   #2461
Tolls
Philosopher

Yeah.
They'd have a field day essentially shutting down whole swathes of government by simply doing **** all whenever they had control of the Senate.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 09:07 AM   #2462
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

But if the Republicans hold the Senate, Mitch is going to refuse to confirm ANY Biden nomination, for any position whatever. Acting appointments may be Biden's only option.
Old 28th September 2020, 09:11 AM   #2463
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Sooner or later we have to accept that Checks and Balances as they are currently set up have turned into codified Obstructionism because of tribal partisanism.

The idea the President nominates a SCOTUS Justice while the Senate approves it was based on the idea that there weren't going to be scenarios where the President couldn't nominate anyone that would make the Senate happy.

The check and balance was on the "Okay you might not get your ideal choice and you might have to compromise to a choice that's more acceptable to everyone" level and it's not at that level anymore.
Old 6th October 2020, 06:04 PM   #2464
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Came across this article from the NYT today, entitled "Tracking the White House Coronavirus."

Looking like the thread title may become unpleasantly literal in the relatively near term.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Old 6th October 2020, 06:14 PM   #2465
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Latest developments with COVID at the White House has given this thread an entirely different meaning.

Ninja'd by d4m10n in seconds!

Last edited by acbytesla; 6th October 2020 at 06:16 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 05:39 PM   #2466
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Earlier today Trump gave one his long-winded telephone interviews where he was bitching about the following three people:

Attorney General Barr: for not arresting more Democrats.

Secretary of State Pompeo: for not finding the Clinton e-mails when she was Secretary of State.

FBI Diector Wray: for not establishing widespread voter fraud.

Therefore, we may see a big wave of high-level job evictions before too long.

Last edited by Crossbow; 8th October 2020 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Typo correction
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 06:46 PM   #2467
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

But if the Republicans hold the Senate, Mitch is going to refuse to confirm ANY Biden nomination, for any position whatever. Acting appointments may be Biden's only option.
I would add the provision that if the Senate fails to proceed with this and complete their decision within a set period of time, they don't get paid until they do.
Old 8th October 2020, 09:56 PM   #2468
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Not exactly part of the white house, but still Trump-adjacent, so sort of relevant...

Elliott Broidy, a former top fundraiser for President Donald Trump and the Republican Party, was charged Thursday by federal authorities with violating a foreign lobbying law.... Prosecutors accused the venture capitalist Broidy of violating that law as part of a scheme to get the Justice Department to drop a major investigation into a foreign national widely believed to be fugitive Malaysian financier Jho Low

Apparently not his first criminal act (Was convicted of bribery around a decade ago), so I guess it made perfect sense for Trump to have him work on his campaign.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2020, 07:06 AM   #2469
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Earlier today Trump gave one his long-winded telephone interviews where he was bitching about the following three people:

Secretary of State Pompeo: for not finding the Clinton e-mails when she was Secretary of State.

Wray may fall on his sword and refuse to obey unlawful orders from Barr and or Trump. We might have a Wednesday afternoon Massacre on November 4th at the FBI headquarters.
Old 10th October 2020, 12:34 PM   #2470
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post

Yeah. Biden's going to be clearing a lot of jobs!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2020, 12:52 PM   #2471
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Wrong thread

Last edited by Firestone; 10th October 2020 at 12:53 PM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2020, 04:04 PM   #2472
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The last couple of weeks have given the term "Survivor" in this thread an all new meaning...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2020, 06:27 AM   #2473
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The last couple of weeks have given the term "Survivor" in this thread an all new meaning...
Very literal meaning.
Old 2nd November 2020, 09:47 AM   #2474
Crossbow

True to Trump form and function, Trump is now talking about firing Fauci.

https://news.yahoo.com/appreciate-ad...4n7KuA7EjsYwmB

'I appreciate the advice': After crowd chants 'Fire Fauci!' Trump says to wait until after the election

"Fire Fauci!" the crowd then began to chant.

Trump paused briefly to listen to the refrain before telling his supporters, "Don't tell anybody, but let me wait 'til a little bit after the election, please."

"I appreciate the advice. I appreciate the advice," Trump continued. "No, he's been wrong though a lot. He's a nice man though. He's been wrong on a lot."

Old 2nd November 2020, 09:56 AM   #2475
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Yeah he's been wrong a lot, he thought Trump would take effective action.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2020, 11:56 AM   #2476
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Does it count for the purposes of White House Survivor if there's no break in service? If Trump fires Fauci on Wednesday and Biden hires him for the transition team on Thursday, did he really get fired?
Old 2nd November 2020, 12:03 PM   #2477
Crossbow

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Does it count for the purposes of White House Survivor if there's no break in service? If Trump fires Fauci on Wednesday and Biden hires him for the transition team on Thursday, did he really get fired?
I would say "Yes. That still counts as Fauci being fired."

Because a sitting President dismissed him from one job while a President-Elect hired him for a different job.
Old 2nd November 2020, 12:17 PM   #2478
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Trump will try to hire Atlas into the job as the director for NIAID.
Old 2nd November 2020, 12:43 PM   #2479
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I heard that The PDJT can't actually fire Dr. Fauci -- that has to come from another boss. Of course, Trump would never do it face-to-face himself anyway.
Old 2nd November 2020, 12:44 PM   #2480
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Well that settles it. It's not like Trump has never done anything he's not allowed to do.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics