ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Fraser Anning

Old 19th May 2019, 05:14 PM   #1
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Australian Election Day process

All,
I've been away from the forum for a while but thought I'd share what election day was like on Saturday:
  • It's a Saturday, so there's plenty of time to vote. I decide to wander to the local school, which is set up for the day as a polling booth
  • So, after breakfast, walking up the street, seeing some others walking up to vote as well. Wave, say hi, they say hi back. Never met them before.
  • Get to the polling station, sausage sandwiches and cupcakes on sale.
  • Party reps waving their how to vote cards, not pushy, asking do you need the (insert party here) how to vote card. I say yeah nah, I'm cool. They say no worries.
  • They check my name off the voting register. House of Reps voting card is A5 size. Senate card is a metre wide. Who the fire truck are all these moron single issue parties?
  • Do Reps vote in reverse order, all good.
  • Now the Senate Card. Okay, working out who to avoid like the plague. Done. Now, have to number remainder 1-12. NUmber 12 goes in first, to the remaining most dick-ish party, working backwards to first choice. Done.
  • Put votes in the boxes, roll eyes at the scrutineer re long senate paper and he says "yeah, everbody's having a bit of a laugh over that one." Walk outside.
  • Too early for a sausage sandwich and I'm not really wanting cake (which is not a lie), but buy some cupcakes to donate something to the school.
  • Walking home, I encounter some people I haven't seen since the last election. I ask them if they'd like a cupcake and they're like "yeah nah, we're going to buy some for the same reason you did. Thanks,though."

And that was voting in suburban Australia.
Old 19th May 2019, 05:37 PM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Can we have that here please? Including the sausage when we drop off our mail-in ballots? I like sausage.
On my other forum, one of the members forgot to take his wallet, and couldn't buy the sausage. What a pity.
Old 20th May 2019, 12:25 AM   #3
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Bloody Aussies! Any excuse to chuck a couple of bangers on the barbie!

While on the subject of Aussie elections, it was good to see Fraser Anning egged out of his Senate seat. On the other side of the ledger, it was disappointing to see as much as 10% of Australia's version of the American South voting for Australia's (female) version of Donald Trump.

Last edited by smartcooky; 20th May 2019 at 12:30 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 12:56 AM   #4
Robin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Bloody Aussies! Any excuse to chuck a couple of bangers on the barbie!

While on the subject of Aussie elections, it was good to see Fraser Anning egged out of his Senate seat. On the other side of the ledger, it was disappointing to see as much as 10% of Australia's version of the American South voting for Australia's (female) version of Donald Trump.
Excellent to see Anning out. But Pauline, it seems, we can't get rid of.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2019, 06:29 AM   #5
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
It's a Saturday, so there's plenty of time to vote. I decide to wander to the local school, which is set up for the day as a polling booth
How long are the polls open? Does it give the people who have to work (retail\hospitality is teh biggest group I can think of) a chance to get their sausage cast their vote?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2019, 06:35 AM   #6
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

On the other side of the ledger, it was disappointing to see as much as 10% of Australia's version of the American South voting for Australia's (female) version of Donald Trump.
Pauline Hanson got 8.7% of the vote in Queensland. Under the NZ MMP system, she could have gotten 2 (even 3) of Queensland's 29 seats. Instead, she got none.

Last edited by psionl0; 21st May 2019 at 06:38 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2019, 11:02 PM   #7
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
How long are the polls open? Does it give the people who have to work (retail\hospitality is teh biggest group I can think of) a chance to get their sausage cast their vote?
Polls are open from 9 - 6pm on election day. If someone cannot get there on election day people can vote before election day. An increasing minority are doing so.
Old 21st May 2019, 11:11 PM   #8
Hungry81
Master Poster

I found it hard to decide who to put last. pauline or palmer. didnt have Anning on my senate paper. I bought a sausage and went to the fire brigade open day around the corner and bought another one.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 01:07 AM   #9
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Pauline Hanson got 8.7% of the vote in Queensland. Under the NZ MMP system, she could have gotten 2 (even 3) of Queensland's 29 seats. Instead, she got none.
We don't have MMP in Provincial Elections, only in General Elections. Provincial Elections use either FPP (for the Mayoral race) or STV for the Council.

Someone like Hanson wouldn't even get a ˝% of the vote in this country.
Old 22nd May 2019, 04:09 AM   #10
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Fun with Maths

We don't have MMP in Provincial Elections, only in General Elections. Provincial Elections use either FPP (for the Mayoral race) or STV for the Council.
If Australia ever adopted MMP for the House of Representatives then it would have to be on a state by state basis. The constitution doesn't allow a single national vote as is done in NZ.

Just out of curiosity, I figured what the results would have been if MMP had been used:
Coalition - 70 seats
Labor - 58 seats
Greens - 18 seats
One Nation - 4 seats
and Andrew Wilke

Labor would have been able to govern with the support of the Greens but getting a speaker would have been problematic.

Someone like Hanson wouldn't even get a ˝% of the vote in this country.
One Nation only broke the 5% barrier in WA and Queensland. In the other states they didn't get anywhere.
Old 23rd May 2019, 01:57 AM   #11
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Polls are open from 9 - 6pm on election day. If someone cannot get there on election day people can vote before election day. An increasing minority are doing so.
Cheers
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2019, 02:04 AM   #12
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Can we have that here please? Including the sausage when we drop off our mail-in ballots? I like sausage.
On my other forum, one of the members forgot to take his wallet, and couldn't buy the sausage. What a pity.
Agreed. I think I need to start planning for the next vote here. Maybe set up a barbeque in the school yard?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2019, 02:10 AM   #13
BillC
Bazooka Joe

Everyone I met that day asked me if I'd done my 'civic duty'. For some reason, they appeared pleasantly surprised when I told them I was not eligible to vote.

I did buy the last of their sausages though.
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2019, 02:54 PM   #14
This is The End

Are the sausages pork? Beef? Mixture? Unknown?
Old 23rd May 2019, 07:03 PM   #15
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
They are barbeque sausages. They are therefore meatoid. No one dare ask for any further details.
Old 23rd May 2019, 07:07 PM   #16
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Australia appears to be almost unique in that we have a default sausage, which is called a "sausage". Other countries have lots of different kinds of sausage, and we can get some of those too, but if you refer to a sausage in Australia you're referring to a basic standard probably-beef sausage. They're cheap and they're plentiful and they're pretty tasty on bread with fried onions and tomato sauce.

They put my onions on top, by the way.
Old 23rd May 2019, 08:23 PM   #17
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Australia appears to be almost unique in that we have a default sausage, which is called a "sausage". Other countries have lots of different kinds of sausage, and we can get some of those too, but if you refer to a sausage in Australia you're referring to a basic standard probably-beef sausage. They're cheap and they're plentiful and they're pretty tasty on bread with fried onions and tomato sauce.

They put my onions on top, by the way.
The above answer is not the whole story. The meat is often off cuts. Then if the sausages are cheap flour, water, salt, fat, flavour enhancer and preservatives are added.

I suggest that they are avoided except for special occasions.

Read more here https://www.goodfood.com.au/eat-out/...0150709-gi74yx
Old 23rd May 2019, 09:23 PM   #18
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The above answer is not the whole story. The meat is often off cuts. Then if the sausages are cheap flour, water, salt, fat, flavour enhancer and preservatives are added.
Yeah but no-one cares.

I suggest that they are avoided except for special occasions.
Except for people who are, like, concerned about their health or something.
Old 23rd May 2019, 10:04 PM   #19
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
They are barbeque sausages. They are therefore meatoid. No one dare ask for any further details.
It's all snouts and lips, that's all you need to know...
Old 23rd May 2019, 10:21 PM   #20
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The regular Woollies sausages are actually pretty good these days. It's still sausage meat, obviously, which is made from bits that you wouldn't make steaks from, but they're a lot better today than they used to be.

The "high fat offal tubes" episode of Yes Minister had an effect, I think.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics