ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags New Zealand issues , New Zealand politics

Old 6th August 2015, 06:13 PM   #441
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I shall do a search on Collins
Who?

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

A fan of fantasy? Check out Project Dreamforge.
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2015, 06:26 PM   #442
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by gumboot View Post
Who?
I sense that even you must have blamed Key at one stage over dodgey Judy.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2015, 09:02 PM   #443
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

I sense that even you must have blamed Key at one stage over dodgey Judy.
You sense? Really?

I keep my political opinions pretty close to my chest. I don't even tell friends and family who I vote for. I'm pretty sure there's no way anyone could work out who I last voted for based on my posts here. Though a number of people have assumed, with hilarious results.

gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2015, 09:12 PM   #444
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Im grasping at straws here to try to justify an incredibly stupid statement man. Give me some rope before I have to admit I am an idiot
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2015, 09:37 PM   #445
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Im grasping at straws here to try to justify an incredibly stupid statement man. Give me some rope before I have to admit I am an idiot
Hah hah. My heart isn't in politics this weekend. Watching England embarrass Australia was just the warm up. Decider in Zimbabwe tonight and then the Bledisloe. As all good kiwis know, politics and sport should never mix!

(I was born five days after the 3rd Test of "the Tour" so I dodged that one!)

Old 7th August 2015, 02:08 AM   #446
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by gumboot View Post
(I was born five days after the 3rd Test of "the Tour" so I dodged that one!)
Holy crap, that brings back fond memories every time someone mentions it.

I was at that game, sitting in the terraces smack in front of that zarking plane.

Going out after the game, the blood-soaked cops standing to attention as we walked past, absolutely elated at the win.

The exiting crowd stopped and gave them an ovation.

How's your '80s security? I smuggled four cans of beer and a hip-flask of scotch into the game.

Great days...
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2015, 07:32 AM   #447
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

This is sigworthy material.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2015, 12:34 PM   #448
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Meanwhile, Johnny Combover and Catholic Bill English are staying very, very quiet on the dairy industry. No comment on the enormous effect it will have on the economy and tax take this financial year.

There are some desperate farmers out there. Expect suicides and murder/suicides to peak shortly after the peak season - say around February. They'd been led to believe - maybe naively - that the grass would always be greener. Reality's a bitch.

We've been seeing a big increase in farm work grievances in the past few months, and that's a good indicator of deeper troubles.

(Also, anybody wanting to sell their farm to Chinese investors should start the paperwork now.)
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2015, 02:17 AM   #449
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Don't go all panic attack "the worlds about to end" Winston on us Atheist.

Prices are cyclical

Having said that I did hear on the news today fronterra drivers were being trained in how to deal with suicide victims on arrival

(and Im not joking)

Last edited by cullennz; 9th August 2015 at 02:18 AM.
Old 9th August 2015, 12:32 PM   #450
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Don't go all panic attack "the worlds about to end" Winston on us Atheist.
I didn't say it was the end of the world, although for some farmers it will be.

I said it was the end of any chance of surplus, and I'll stick by that. It's going to mean a large turnaround in the expected tax take.

Prices are cyclical
Yeah, but this was more of a bubble and is partly being driven by sanctions against Russia backfiring.

Having said that I did hear on the news today fronterra drivers were being trained in how to deal with suicide victims on arrival

(and Im not joking)

You know it's going to happen.

I just hope they don't decide to take the wife & kids with them.
Old 9th August 2015, 01:02 PM   #451
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Indeed

Old 10th August 2015, 03:08 PM   #452
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Flags narrowed down to 40

40 Flags

Personally like Kyle Lockwood's designs if we end up changing

The "Black with Red Stars" or the "Black White and Blue"
Old 10th August 2015, 04:25 PM   #453
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Flags narrowed down to 40

40 Flags

Personally like Kyle Lockwood's designs if we end up changing

The "Black with Red Stars" or the "Black White and Blue"

It's interesting how few variations there actually are, and how many are by the same people. Personally I don't particularly like any of them, but I think Lockwood's fern-and-star design sits best with me out of all of them.

The inclusion of Matariki on some of the flags was interesting - maybe we could get corporate sponsorship from Subaru?

Old 12th August 2015, 11:41 PM   #454
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

I like this one: https://www.govt.nz/browse/engaging-...ry/design/2172
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2015, 11:48 PM   #455
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Interesting that Andrew Little seems to be ignoring the fact it was one of their main election policies to do this

Old 13th August 2015, 02:20 AM   #456
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Jesus mate - with the Chinese devaluing by the day, the Chch rebuild past peak, truckometer readings well down, Auckland rated the most over-valued city on earth, a fall in rush hour travellers and dairy incomes imploding, I should think Key will want as much attention as possible on a non-subject.

One of my mates asked me about our "rock-star" economy the other day.

I said "We do have a rock-star economy. But it's Phil Rudd."
Old 13th August 2015, 02:40 AM   #457
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Lol

Fair call

But are you saying Labour would have lied to the voters and gone back on their policy?

Old 13th August 2015, 02:48 AM   #458
fagin
Philosopher

Pity they dropped the one with the little kiwi shooting lasers.
Old 13th August 2015, 02:53 AM   #459
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
True

Old 13th August 2015, 03:17 AM   #460
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Love your location, incidentally.
Old 16th August 2015, 02:53 PM   #461
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Meanwhile, returning to self-serving tossers, isn't it great to see Johnny Combover being such a huge rugger fan?

From a bloke who doesn't remember the 1981 Springbok Tour.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=11498346
Old 16th August 2015, 04:27 PM   #462
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Meanwhile, returning to self-serving tossers, isn't it great to see Johnny Combover being such a huge rugger fan?

From a bloke who doesn't remember the 1981 Springbok Tour.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=11498346

At least he has 34 years as an excuse.

Little couldn't remember how his baby bonus worked after an hour

Old 16th August 2015, 05:02 PM   #463
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

At least he has 34 years as an excuse.

Little couldn't remember how his baby bonus worked after an hour
Big, big difference.

Do you know of a single person who was an adult at the time of the '81 tour and who was in NZ at the time, who does not recall exactly what was going on?

You'll need some startling evidence if you believe you can find one.
Old 16th August 2015, 05:17 PM   #464
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Big, big difference.

Do you know of a single person who was an adult at the time of the '81 tour and who was in NZ at the time, who does not recall exactly what was going on?

You'll need some startling evidence if you believe you can find one.
Old Bev' and Derek McDonald who ran the Puysegur lighthouse in Fiordland

(ok. I might have made that up)
Old 16th August 2015, 08:00 PM   #465
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Yeah, I'd say you might.

Great days.
Old 16th August 2015, 08:20 PM   #466
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Well at least our "Rock Star" economy has been great for some. Perhaps all the Dairy farmers now struggling after their predicted pay out has been halved should try getting a job in the Beehive...

Those being paid over $100,000 a year has risen from 17 to 53 under National, with the most significant jump right after they took office, going from 17 to 39 in 2008-9.

To put this in perspective. In 2008 when National took over the Median NZ wage/salary was $37,908*. The mean wage/salary was $43,004*. The mean income for Parliament Services was $72,792.

In 2014 (the last year available as this years hasn't been released) the median had risen to $44,876* and the mean to $51,532*. Rises of 18.3% and 19.8% respectively.

Parliamentary Services mean wage rose to $93,298 this year, an increase of 28.2% since National took over. Even with last year's figures (2014), which was actually a decrease in mean from the previous year (22.4%), they outstripped the countries wage and salary earners with a 21.7% rise from their 2008 start.

*Figures taken from New Zealand Statistics Income Survey 2008, 2014

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 16th August 2015 at 08:51 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2015, 08:57 PM   #467
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Just so long as you're not surprised at them feathering their own nest. All sides do that.

Meanwhile, on the Clean Green NZ brand of 100% Pure BS, this is not pretty:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11498553
Old 16th August 2015, 09:07 PM   #468
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Just so long as you're not surprised at them feathering their own nest. All sides do that.
That the fiscally responsible National Government is giving its own staffers raises nearly 50% higher then the rest of the country all during a time of recession and belt tightening where the Government was running deficits.... I'm Shocked, shocked I tell you...

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 16th August 2015 at 09:09 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2015, 09:20 PM   #469
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
... all during a time of recession and belt tightening ...
You're right on the sentiment and deficit, but there hasn't been a recession in NZ, at least.

Well, not on paper. As I've been saying since 2011, if you deduct the Chch earthquake, we most likely would have been.
Old 16th August 2015, 09:30 PM   #470
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Parliamentary services are independent

Old 16th August 2015, 09:37 PM   #471
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Parliamentary services are independent
Usually, but these are those involved in the Ministerial Services staff who are working directly in the offices of Ministers. Different ball game. the Normal Parliamentary Services people have been doing it tough with the rest of us, getting told there is no money in the kitty for raises, while those in the Minister's offices have been getting the money pouring out on them. They even get a nice 3 month bonus if they decide to leave. What other job gives they that?

Old 19th August 2015, 05:58 PM   #472
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

The stark difference between NZ and the rest of the world.

Scenario:

A parole-jumper runs from the cops and shoots at them. An entire region of the country is locked down - road blocks, schools closed, orders for people to stay indoors. Hundreds of armed cops involved in the hunt for the perpetrator.

Biggest story?

Not pronouncing his name right in court, with a family member quoted in the press:

Quote:
As he left the court he said he would he would get his lawyers onto people who continued mispronouncing the name.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11499823
Old 20th August 2015, 09:51 PM   #473
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

There aren't enough emoticons on the internet to express this one - the latest from "King" Tuheitia:

"Just give me Auckland, bro!"

As Chris Trotter once said about Tuheitia: "The lioness (Teatairangi Kahu) has whelped an ass."

Utterly correct in every respect; Tuheitia is a dipstick. He doesn't speak Maori and didn't even want the crown until his social-climbing tart wife saw the chance to snuggle up to royalty and dip the snout in the endless trough of Waitangi.

And now he wants all of Auckland.

Yes, this is the Maori king whose son recently got let off drunk and dangerous driving charges. See if you can spot old Tuku "Undies" Morgan lurking in the background next time you see old Tuheitia.
Old 20th August 2015, 09:53 PM   #474
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Apparently he was a good truck driver

Lol

Old 21st August 2015, 12:04 AM   #475
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

You hear that wrong.

I hear he was the worst, least-reliable truckie in Waikato history.

Bloody funny though!
Old 22nd August 2015, 05:06 AM   #476
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Meanwhile, on the Clean Green NZ brand of 100% Pure BS, this is not pretty:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11498553
Until I saw the Date, I thought it was on the shooting of the takahe.

I hadn't realised it was the second time that takahe had been shot during a pukeko cull.

I am rather sad, as I have a photo of one from Tiritiri Matangi, "Mr Blue", climbing my leg, and trying to eat my boot top.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2015, 02:01 PM   #477
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Until I saw the Date, I thought it was on the shooting of the takahe.
That was a bloody disgrace.

Meanwhile, old Tuheitia's plan isn't looking too flash as Ngaphui respond to his claim for Auckland with "We're claiming it and there are more of us than you."

And yes, that is the David Rankin whose previous job was CEO of Auckland City Council.

The trough must be particularly wide given the foulness and number of people sticking their snout in it right now.
Old 22nd August 2015, 02:16 PM   #478
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Oh, and they're going to have to be very quick if Tuhetitia wants to see any of his (Tuku's) dreams come true.

He is 60 years old and looks 90 - I doubt he'll be Kingi for muchi longeri.

That's him on the left of the pic of Key at Turangawaewae: http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times...at-ngaruawahia

Almost unrecognisable as the same bloke as his official photo, but that's definitely his walking stick and it is actually Tuheitia. Just shows you what all that power and luxury will do to a truck driver.

I betcha his deeply disgusting wife has the plans all laid out to put whichever of her sons she can manipulate the best on the "throne". She'll be stocking up on Queen Mother wardrobes already, and they'll both have Uncle Undies to tutor them.
Old 22nd August 2015, 02:53 PM   #479
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Bit harsh mate

Old 22nd August 2015, 05:54 PM   #480
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Which bit?

I can support all of the things I say about Tuheitia, his brood of misfit, over-entitled little twats and his deeply horrible Mrs.

Damned shame; his mum was a great woman.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics