ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags New Zealand issues , New Zealand politics

Old 22nd August 2015, 06:18 PM   #481
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

The wife. But then I have never heard of her so you may know more
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2015, 10:44 PM   #482
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

We are apparently moving out of the stone age and shops are going to open easter Sunday.

The govt is passing the buck to councils over who though which is quite funny.

Nice diversion from the health and safety mess.

Labour need to look and learn
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2015, 02:06 AM   #483
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Nice diversion from the health and safety mess.

Labour need to look and learn
I'm not sure what's going on, but it seems to be driven by the media, which Key plays like Andre Rieu does the Vienna Symphonia.

The questions have been asked about the H&S laws and they even made a ripple, but there seems to be no follow-up. Labour's doing its bit, and maybe Little is lacking a bit of charisma, but he's putting himself out there and being ignored.

Meanwhile, the housing situation in Auckland has reached laughable levels.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2015, 02:14 AM   #484
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I'm not sure what's going on, but it seems to be driven by the media, which Key plays like Andre Rieu does the Vienna Symphonia.

The questions have been asked about the H&S laws and they even made a ripple, but there seems to be no follow-up. Labour's doing its bit, and maybe Little is lacking a bit of charisma, but he's putting himself out there and being ignored.

Meanwhile, the housing situation in Auckland has reached laughable levels.

He is stymied by the unions

He just does the script and isn't allowed to show any personality.

Its ike Cunliffe times two

Old 24th August 2015, 01:36 PM   #485
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

He is stymied by the unions
Nonsense. He's saying it, just not being reported.

He just does the script and isn't allowed to show any personality.
More nonsense.

The trouble, I think, is that Andrew just doesn't have the style likely to appeal to voters.

I can't think of any other reason media coverage is going the way it has. Media is driven by story-attraction and people aren't attracted to Andrew Little.

Its ike Cunliffe times two
Actually the exact opposite of Cunliffe. Cunliffe had charisma and no brains; Little has the brains, but not the kind of charisma the electorate wants.

Sad to say, but I can't see him lasting further than mid-2016 if the polls don't improve.

Stuart Nash will be next. He has the charisma and brains to roll over Johnny Combover and his pedigree is ok, too.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2015, 02:47 PM   #486
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Cunliffe had charisma
Charisma?

He came across as an utter sleazeball
Old 25th August 2015, 12:34 AM   #487
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Charisma?

He came across as an utter sleazeball
As it turned out, he was, and so is his Mrs. I couldn't stand him myself, even though I campaigned for him because he was perceived as charismatic and he certainly played crowds well.

Anyway, Jacinda Ardern seems to be the word.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11502695

I'm not a big fan, but if she's popular, that's the most important thing in voters' eyes.
Old 25th August 2015, 02:04 AM   #488
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

She has been pretty obviously absent for a few months so they are pushing her media training.

Seems alright, but can some times get over intense

Old 25th August 2015, 02:08 AM   #489
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I just read your article. Annette King?

lol

Old 25th August 2015, 01:22 PM   #490
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

She's dead. I expected her to be Little's #2.

She's extremely capable and under-rated. They should have dedicated her to going after Key in the House - she would have been an excellent counter to his blokey wank.
Old 25th August 2015, 07:18 PM   #491
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

The Greens have gone back on voting for the RWC bill again.

Way to go Greens. Party of the people
Old 31st August 2015, 05:45 PM   #492
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

They are down to the final four. Personally like blue with black corner

Old 31st August 2015, 06:00 PM   #493
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

They are down to the final four two. Personally like blue with black corner

https://www.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/Four-promo.jpg
FTFY. With over 10k submissions, they present us with the option of the same flag in three different colours......

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2015, 08:20 PM   #494
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
FTFY. With over 10k submissions, they present us with the option of the same flag in three different colours......
They must have picked the worst four options available as well - they uniformly awful.

Meanwhile, it's all keeping the spotlight off Johnny and Billy's absymal performance in our rock-star economy as Key turns a 29% NET negative outlook into a positive outlook.

Mind you, he has come out with the quote of the year: "But net on net, you know, they're still reasonably positive."

No, John. A net 29% negative is a net 29% negative, no matter how many times you spin it.

Transport is down, the truckometer is down. The only thing not down is Auckland house prices.
Old 31st August 2015, 09:13 PM   #495
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

What makes it even worse is that all 3 "Fern" flags have the fern wrong. The off-shoots should be interspaced, not symmetrical! Check the All Black logo, they get it right.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 31st August 2015 at 09:16 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2015, 12:21 AM   #496
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I've always says I would like a new flag, but won't particularly lose sleep if it stays the same.

It will end up being blue black corner against current. Will vote for blue black

Old 1st September 2015, 02:21 AM   #497
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Good comment here: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11506245

Someone should probably bump the actual flag thread not the finalists are in.

Miss NZ it ain't.
Old 1st September 2015, 02:28 AM   #498
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Please put down write in votes for the kiwi with laser eyes. That was a thing of beauty.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2015, 02:29 AM   #499
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Forgot there was one

good idea

Old 1st September 2015, 02:36 AM   #500
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Good comment here: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11506245

Someone should probably bump the actual flag thread not the finalists are in.

Miss NZ it ain't.
I take it the writer was a bit thick and didn't know Labours policy at the last election was a flag referendum

Old 1st September 2015, 03:28 PM   #501
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I take it the writer was a bit thick and didn't know Labours policy at the last election was a flag referendum
It doesn't change the fact the process is absurd, the public consultation idiotic and the choices abominable.

Anyway, Mr Combover Johnny and the flag were nailed by Emerson today:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/ne...ectid=11506401
Old 1st September 2015, 03:52 PM   #502
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

It doesn't change the fact the process is absurd, the public consultation idiotic and the choices abominable.

Anyway, Mr Combover Johnny and the flag were nailed by Emerson today:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/ne...ectid=11506401
Disagree. Who is going to vote for a change if they don't know what they are changing to?

The black cornered one is fine for me
Old 1st September 2015, 11:20 PM   #503
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I guess the Ozzies have decided we're not going to need our Flag much longer, just like everything else kiwi they are trying to steal it....

Wallabies Stealing NZ Flag Now

Old 1st September 2015, 11:33 PM   #504
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Disagree. Who is going to vote for a change if they don't know what they are changing to?

The black cornered one is fine for me
How about having the first referendum say that a flag had to get both the most votes, and also more than 20% of the registered voters voting for it to get to the second round? In no flag did, no need for a second vote.

Old 2nd September 2015, 01:20 AM   #505
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
How about having the first referendum say that a flag had to get both the most votes, and also more than 20% of the registered voters voting for it to get to the second round? In no flag did, no need for a second vote.
That wouldn't give them the silver fern through the world cup and everyone talking each other into a new one over xmas.

Old 4th September 2015, 12:23 AM   #506
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Graham Brazier dead.

I can't say I was ever a fan, although I saw them play enough times. I never thought much of his attitude to chicks, either, but you can't deny his contribution to NZ rock & roll.

That's two of the band dead quite early. Drugs and partying...

Now I'm scared.
Old 4th September 2015, 12:24 AM   #507
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Meanwhile, we're going to have to try to get by on what's left of NZ - unless you're Maori.

They now own all the water & beaches, and all of the fishing rights.

Two different Iwi are claiming Auckland, and now they own all the bloody $10 notes as well.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/maori/news...ectid=11507595
Old 4th September 2015, 12:42 AM   #508
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Slight over reaction.

The idiots should have consulted.

Old 4th September 2015, 01:26 AM   #509
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Did you note they conveniently forgot they gave official permission 20-something years ago for the banknote?

But they can smell the money...
Old 4th September 2015, 01:31 AM   #510
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Did you note they conveniently forgot they gave official permission 20-something years ago for the banknote?

But they can smell the money...
There is a certain irony in the usage

Sent from my GT-S6802 using Tapatalk 2

Old 4th September 2015, 01:34 PM   #511
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Another absolute outrage: despite having one of the worst drowning rates in the OECD, we are closing school swimming pools at an absurd rate.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11508094

I could add in the unreported note that swimming pool construction for East Auckland has been cancelled, leaving around a dozen primary school without access to a swimming pool within walking distance.

That was Len Brown rather than the government.

The NZ Water Safety Council will be having its work cut out for the next infinity.
Old 7th September 2015, 12:17 PM   #512
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

The Syrian refugee crisis.

John Key: "We take enough refugees already and will not take extras."

TVs and the internet scream out photos of well-dressed Syrian child corpses, the world cries enough.

Germany and France agree to take 55,000 refugees.

John Key: "Ok then, we'll take one hundred, but not a single sand-****** more."

UK takes 20,000.

John Key: "100!"

A couple of ratios.

UK - 1 refugee per 3000 UK citizens
Germany & France - 1 refugee per 2500 citizens
NZ - 1 refugee per 45,000 citizens

Pity that UN vote happened already - Johnny Combover would've been taking boatloads.
Old 7th September 2015, 12:28 PM   #513
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

TVs and the internet scream out photos of well-dressed Syrian child corpses, the world cries enough.

UK takes 20,000.

A couple of ratios.

Pity that UN vote happened already - Johnny Combover would've been taking boatloads.
Except that isn't what he said, is it
Old 7th September 2015, 07:08 PM   #514
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

May as well have - he initially refused to look at additional refugees to our quota.

The he said a hundred, then when the pressure grew again he's gone to 750.
Old 10th September 2015, 01:43 PM   #515
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Just a note for anyone with kids moving to NZ - do NOT send your kids to high school in South Auckland unless they are training for a career in MMA.

This is the third street brawl involving South Auckland schools this week:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11511329

You know things are bad when the cops turn up to a schoolgirl fight and get attacked themselves!
Old 12th September 2015, 08:27 PM   #516
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

UK takes 20,000.

A couple of ratios.

Wow, even Australia is doing more than that (we're taking 12,000), and our governments for the last 15 years have famously hated refugees.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2015, 08:57 PM   #517
Ginarley
Post-normalist

UK takes 20,000.

A couple of ratios.

But taking refugees is expensive. Surely we could redo the flag thing properly for all the money we'd have to spend on taking more Syrian refugees.

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget."- Don Draper

http://authorofconfusion.wordpress.com/
Ginarley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2015, 10:51 PM   #518
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Makes you wonder how the tens of thousands of people from Dafur are feeling after spending 10 or so years in refugee camps as they are forgotten about because of a photo of a dead kid

Old 13th September 2015, 01:56 AM   #519
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Bang on, mate.

The only comfort is that they wouldn't even know it happened.

It remains Someone Else's Problem.
Old 20th September 2015, 05:07 AM   #520
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Saw an interview with Jacinda. She is next. Give it four months

Sent from my GT-S6802 using Tapatalk 2

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics