ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags New Zealand issues , New Zealand politics

Old 14th February 2016, 12:05 AM   #601
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I questioned the point of the re-build after the 2011 quake - it's going to keep happening and I imagine insurance will be prohibitive, if you can even get it.

I feel sorry for the poor bastards who can't move away - I'd have been out of there years ago.

Pretty impressive that entire cliff falling off.
My old home territory.

She will be sweet.

Look at Napier
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2016, 12:07 AM   #602
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

You have to feel for Little after he'd just said the school with dodgey boulders should stay open.

Timing

lol
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2016, 01:43 PM   #603
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
My old home territory.

She will be sweet.

Look at Napier
Napier had one earthquake, Chch is now up to 3 and I see GNS has said their chances of another big one have now increased.

Why would insurers cover them?
Old 16th February 2016, 12:37 PM   #604
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

For the uninitiated: why NZ is a little bit different to other places on the planet.

1 Things that are crimes elsewhere - and serious crimes at that - are often not even seen as crimes here. Assaulting a Cabinet Minister, for instance.

2 As prostitution is legal, brothels and charities can work together, with a brothel holding an open day to help a kids' charity in Hawera.

3 We're so protective of international visitors that we won't allow actual New Zealanders anywhere near them, with Kiwis not even allowed to stay in lodges in their own country.

4 Our Prime Minister goes around pulling girls' ponytails.

5 The whole country is a toilet!
Old 17th February 2016, 11:52 PM   #605
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

McAwe NZer of the year.

Not sure about that

Old 17th February 2016, 11:56 PM   #606
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

McAwe NZer of the year.

Not sure about that
Surely should be New Zealander of the Millenium, right?
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2016, 12:09 AM   #607
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Surely should be New Zealander of the Millenium, right?
Lol

True

Old 18th February 2016, 01:45 PM   #608
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

You know, some Kiwis still wonder why the world thinks we have rugby and nowt else.

Wonder no more.
Old 19th February 2016, 04:33 AM   #609
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

You know, some Kiwis still wonder why the world thinks we have rugby and nowt else.

Wonder no more.
Some of us remember Sir Edmund and Lord Rutherford.

ETA: Oh, and the bearer of the second best nose in cricket, Sir Richard Hadlee. Best nose of course going to William Morris Lawry.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.

Last edited by Damien Evans; 19th February 2016 at 04:36 AM.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2016, 06:51 AM   #610
welshdean
Rugby World Cup
   CHAMPIONS

Aside from Dame Kiri, Sir Ed and Richie (peace be upon him), there are no other famous kiwis, are there?
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2016, 12:29 PM   #611
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Some of us remember Sir Edmund and Lord Rutherford.
Jesus, you're a lot older than I thought; Rutherford died in 1937!

ETA: Oh, and the bearer of the second best nose in cricket, Sir Richard Hadlee. Best nose of course going to William Morris Lawry.
Only the second bowler ever to be knighted!*

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
Aside from Dame Kiri, Sir Ed and Richie (peace be upon him), there are no other famous kiwis, are there?
We have had a couple, and I refuse to count that stupid Kiri te Kanawa cow because she's a lying bitch and as far as I'm aware, her singing skills are ordinary compared to the great divas.

We have three former world mile record-holders, a former head of Jet Propulsion Lab, many other scientists whose Kiwiness has been ignored by many - including two other Nobel winners, a world-class, pioneering heart surgeon, an F1 world champ, Phar Lap, and architect of modern social welfare, Michael Joseph Savage, who was funnily enough born in Australia.

It's often said NZ boxes above its weight internationally, and I think the facts back it up. For a very small country (127th by population), we have a fine record of producing champion blokes and sheilas and not crowing about it. (barring rugby players, and I don't count them anyway)

*Francis Drake was the first.
Old 19th February 2016, 01:38 PM   #612
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
There is the geezer who played a gladiator we say is Australian and Peter Jackson, but get your point

Old 19th February 2016, 01:40 PM   #613
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Some people say Jesus was actually born in Kaiapoi

Old 19th February 2016, 03:20 PM   #614
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Lotta sheep down that way.

Anyway, Brian Tamaki is Jesus.
Old 20th February 2016, 12:48 PM   #615
welshdean
Rugby World Cup
   CHAMPIONS

He's Welsh mate. His dad was born in Cardiff, Leckwith, I think, he was born in Llanrumney.
Single parent mum, his dad, 'Dai the chippie' was in prison for taking the drawers off a 'tallboy'.

I've got photos from the 70's to prove it too.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 02:29 PM   #616
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Is that why he was always singing?

Old 21st February 2016, 05:03 AM   #617
Samson
Philosopher

Richie McCaw backs flag change is a headline on Yahoo.

What does Lydia Ko think?

Hint, what she has done as a New Zealander that never swung a golf club in Korea aint all bad.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2016, 02:05 AM   #618
Samson
Philosopher

I have just calculated that my chance of dying in venture tourism is zero. So I must be the most boring New Zealander in New Zealand.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2016, 10:06 AM   #619
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
I have just calculated that my chance of dying in venture tourism is zero. So I must be the most boring New Zealander in New Zealand.
I'd love to know how our tourist death statistics look. There are certainly a good number of disastrous car crashes being caused by tourists and they are clearly seven times more likely to kill someone else than a local driver.

The pair of German chicks killed yesterday wasn't their fault! Our roads are death traps.

On the flip side, there seem to be a hell of a lot of tourists dying while indulging in the outdoors.

Dangerous place, NZ.

Last edited by The Atheist; 28th February 2016 at 10:09 AM.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2016, 09:51 PM   #620
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

I'd love to know how our tourist death statistics look. There are certainly a good number of disastrous car crashes being caused by tourists and they are clearly seven times more likely to kill someone else than a local driver.

The pair of German chicks killed yesterday wasn't their fault! Our roads are death traps.

On the flip side, there seem to be a hell of a lot of tourists dying while indulging in the outdoors.

Dangerous place, NZ.
Speaking of German Tourists, Crocodiles over here seem to find them especially tasty.
Old 28th February 2016, 11:45 PM   #621
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Speaking of German Tourists, Crocodiles over here seem to find them especially tasty.
Well, I'm not surprised.

If I had the choice of eating a Pommy or a Euro, I'd go Euro every time.

Whether I were a crocodile or not!
Old 29th February 2016, 02:41 AM   #622
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

We have had a couple, and I refuse to count that stupid Kiri te Kanawa cow because she's a lying bitch and as far as I'm aware, her singing skills are ordinary compared to the great divas.

We have three former world mile record-holders, a former head of Jet Propulsion Lab, many other scientists whose Kiwiness has been ignored by many - including two other Nobel winners, a world-class, pioneering heart surgeon, an F1 world champ, Phar Lap, and architect of modern social welfare, Michael Joseph Savage, who was funnily enough born in Australia.

It's often said NZ boxes above its weight internationally, and I think the facts back it up. For a very small country (127th by population), we have a fine record of producing champion blokes and sheilas and not crowing about it. (barring rugby players, and I don't count them anyway)

The number of important things New Zealanders invented is quite astonishing. People always trot out stupid stuff like bungee jumping, the hamilton jet, and pavlova, but we actually invented a crazy range of hugely important things.

My nomination for our greatest inventor is Colin Murdoch. At the age of thirteen he was awarded the Royal Humane Society Medal for saving a man's life, and this pretty much acted as a forerunner of what was to come. Devoted to preserving the lives of people and animals, he trained as a pharmacist and veterinarian before beginning to produce some of the most important inventions in his field; the disposable syringe, the tranquilliser gun, and the child-proof medicine container. When he was developing the syringe he took it to the Department of Health who declined to provide financial backing as they felt the design was "too futuristic" and there was no demand for it. Today half a billion disposable syringes are used every year in the USA alone.

When it came to the tranquilliser gun, inventing a safer, less traumatic way to sedate animals was only the first step; at the time most animal sedatives were highly dangerous, and it was very common for animals to die. Murdoch worked with pharmaceutical companies to develop a host of new safer tranquillisers, tailored to different species.

If this wasn't enough, Murdoch never enforced any of his 46 patents as his view was that his inventions were being used to preserve the lives of humans and animals, and that was good enough.

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

A fan of fantasy? Check out Project Dreamforge.
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2016, 02:46 AM   #623
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Dangerous place, NZ.

They underestimate it. They look at the height of our mountains and think it's no big deal because they've trekked in the Alps or the Rockies. What they don't realise is that New Zealand's geography makes for erratic weather; phenomenally erratic weather.

gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2016, 03:05 AM   #624
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Would anyone even notice a cyclone in Wellington? It's that bloody windy anyway...
There was this one time, in 1968, when Tropical Cyclone Giselle smashed the North Island and proceeded to reach Wellington where, on April 10th, it collided with a particularly nasty storm front coming up from Antarctica. Remember that whole "Frankenstorm" thing over New York or whatever they called it? Yup. One of those.

As it happened, right as the two storms met a ferry by the name of TEV Wahine was entering the harbour ex Lyttleton with 733 people aboard. Wind speeds nudged towards 300km/h. Bad things happened.

Old 2nd March 2016, 06:21 AM   #625
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by gumboot View Post
The number of important things New Zealanders invented is quite astonishing. People always trot out stupid stuff like bungee jumping, the hamilton jet, and pavlova, but we actually invented a crazy range of hugely important things.

My nomination for our greatest inventor is Colin Murdoch. At the age of thirteen he was awarded the Royal Humane Society Medal for saving a man's life, and this pretty much acted as a forerunner of what was to come. Devoted to preserving the lives of people and animals, he trained as a pharmacist and veterinarian before beginning to produce some of the most important inventions in his field; the disposable syringe, the tranquilliser gun, and the child-proof medicine container. When he was developing the syringe he took it to the Department of Health who declined to provide financial backing as they felt the design was "too futuristic" and there was no demand for it. Today half a billion disposable syringes are used every year in the USA alone.

When it came to the tranquilliser gun, inventing a safer, less traumatic way to sedate animals was only the first step; at the time most animal sedatives were highly dangerous, and it was very common for animals to die. Murdoch worked with pharmaceutical companies to develop a host of new safer tranquillisers, tailored to different species.

If this wasn't enough, Murdoch never enforced any of his 46 patents as his view was that his inventions were being used to preserve the lives of humans and animals, and that was good enough.
And we didn't try to steal this genius? We must be slipping.
Old 2nd March 2016, 06:25 AM   #626
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Not old, just a fan of science, particularly Biology and Physics.

ETA: speaking of (offtopic warning), I visited Siding Springs Observatory last week, it was a great little stop. If you ever find yourself in central NSW The CSIRO Radio Telescope outside Parkes and Siding Springs are must visits if you like Astronomy. Siding Springs also happens to be in the middle of the Warrumbungle Range, a beautiful area of medium sized mountains and steep cliffs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siding_Spring_Observatory
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrum..._National_Park
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkes_Observatory

Last edited by Damien Evans; 2nd March 2016 at 06:31 AM.
Old 2nd March 2016, 12:36 PM   #627
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Not old, just a fan of science, particularly Biology and Physics.
As you know, I wa staking the piss - I do remember how old you are!

ETA: speaking of (offtopic warning), I visited Siding Springs Observatory last week, it was a great little stop.
"Off-topic"?

You change the subject to Australia in the NZ thread? That's not off-topic, that's a capital offence over here, pal!

My boy (6 yo) was on a school trip to our local observatory yesterday.

Which was conveniently a couple of days after we'd been up at 4:30 am to look at the planets during their stunning display at the moment, so he was the information star.

There's nothing like viewing planets and nebulae through a telescope to get a little perspective on how insignificant we are. Love it!
Old 2nd March 2016, 06:21 PM   #628
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Martin Crowe gone

Lasted longer than I thought

At least he got to see the world cup at home

Last edited by cullennz; 2nd March 2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 2nd March 2016, 10:59 PM   #629
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Martin Crowe gone

Lasted longer than I thought

At least he got to see the world cup at home
Ditto - I expected him to be brown bread last year.

I think he had a young kid?
Old 2nd March 2016, 11:05 PM   #630
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Ditto - I expected him to be brown bread last year.

I think he had a young kid?
Not sure.

Nice message from Russ'. Think Martin's dad was a bit of a father figure so they hung out together heaps

Old 3rd March 2016, 05:10 AM   #631
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Must surely be in the top 3 batsmen New Zealand ever produced?

In the top 50 test run scorers for New Zealand, only Williamson and John Reid have a higher average than him, and he scored 5 times as many runs as Reid.
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/austra...id=5;type=team
Old 3rd March 2016, 10:20 AM   #632
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Yeah, Reid's career was a bit short to put him in the greats.

Glenn Turner is the other I'd have in there, along with Crowe and Williamson.

I don't think there are any other contenders, except maybe Bert Sutcliffe, and he was before my time. His average was low, but he did have the handicap of playing in a truly horrible team.
Old 4th March 2016, 07:31 AM   #633
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Yeah, Reid's career was a bit short to put him in the greats.

Glenn Turner is the other I'd have in there, along with Crowe and Williamson.

I don't think there are any other contenders, except maybe Bert Sutcliffe, and he was before my time. His average was low, but he did have the handicap of playing in a truly horrible team.
Fleming was good, but not Crowe or Williamson good.
Old 4th March 2016, 04:54 PM   #634
Ginarley
Post-normalist

Must surely be in the top 3 batsmen New Zealand ever produced?

In the top 50 test run scorers for New Zealand, only Williamson and John Reid have a higher average than him, and he scored 5 times as many runs as Reid.
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/austra...id=5;type=team
Definitely in the top 3 batsmen who's career NZ cricket managed not to ruin . I can't help but feel we left plenty of batsmen on the cutting room floor that never got a chance to become great thanks to poor management or having their flair trained out of them. Crowe's greatest achievement might be that he became a great batsmen in spite of NZ cricket lol.

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget."- Don Draper

http://authorofconfusion.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Ginarley; 4th March 2016 at 04:55 PM.
Ginarley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2016, 10:14 PM   #635
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Apparently Crowe was taking weed at the end.

Geezes. Grow some balls and legalise medicinal.

It shouldn't even be news

Old 9th May 2016, 12:01 PM   #636
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Couple of stories catching my eye at the moment:

Pre-Tasman Europeans.

A debate which has been going on all of my life, still bubbling away despite the complete lack of evidence. I have no real opinion on it; but there's a determined group who think it's real.

The Maori Council idea advocated by Andrew Judd, mayor of New Plymouth.

If you don't know, Judd asked for a referendum on having guaranteed Maori representation on the council. It was taken and defeated resoundingly, amid Judd receiving torrents of abuse for even suggesting the idea.

While I don't condone abuse, I'm not a fan of apartheid, so I don't like the idea of Maori wards.

I see Mike Hosking is now involved, saying that if Maori want to be on the council, they can stand for a seat just like everyone else. Unsurprisingly, some people have a problem with this.

Much as I despise Hosking as a revolting little right-wing piece of scum, I can't help but agree with him on this, and the idea that his comment is actionable is laughable.

It's reactions like the mass complaints about Hosking's comment that paints the Maori sovereignty/ToW debate as a farce.
Old 31st May 2016, 01:18 PM   #637
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Apparently Labour are so desperate in the polls they have chosen to enter an MOU with the Greens

Neither can actually say what this means

Labour would need the greens anyway

The greens say they can still work with National

Labour says that they won't necessarily go with the greens

Utterly pointless

Old 31st May 2016, 01:46 PM   #638
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Utterly pointless
That describes exactly the entire Labour Party in NZ.

I wrote a couple of weeks ago that unless Labour replaces Little with Stuart Nash immediately they may as well dissolve the party.
Old 1st June 2016, 10:34 PM   #639
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

The only way that Labour is going to become strong enough to topple National is to stop moving to the left and fight the Nats to reclaim the middle ground and station themselves as a Centre-Centre Left Party once more.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2016, 12:28 PM   #640
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I hear there was celebration in the Tron last night - winning the supreme Tony Award.

Congrats, Hamilton!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics