ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags New Zealand issues , New Zealand politics

Old 18th September 2016, 04:30 AM   #681
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Fair call. But with most changes they need 2 or 3 other party's.
Only if they have a minority government. Otherwise, anything goes.

NZ does have a law that requires a referendum or 75% majority for some election issues but it can just as easily overturn this with a simple parliamentary majority. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Ze...nt#Sovereignty

I'd imagine a Senate whose majority was the opposite of the govt would mean nothing happens
Having had nothing better to do in the last couple of days, I read throughout this whole thread. From the political comments here, I find it hard to see any single party gaining a majority in a NZ Senate. Like Australia, the government would have to do deals with the smaller parties to get their legislation passed.
Old 18th September 2016, 04:33 AM   #682
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

It always is a minority government.

It's because we have MMP

First past died years ago
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2016, 07:38 AM   #683
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

It always is a minority government.

It's because we have MMP
Well that beats FPTP by a country mile and provides a small measure of protection against the big parties.

I personally believe that MMP might be a more appropriate voting system for an upper house or a constitutional council if NZ ever becomes a republic.

First past died years ago
Australia hasn't had FPTP since 1918. Although, Australia's preferential voting system seems to be unique in the world. It was introduced after Labor won a 3 cornered by election in 1918 with just 34.4% of the vote.

http://www.abc.net.au/elections/fede...refhistory.htm
Old 18th September 2016, 12:26 PM   #684
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
What I don't like about NZ is its system of government. Whoever controls the HoR can make any law they like and nobody can do anything about it.

At least Australia has an upper house (Senate) and a High Court that can determine if a proposed law is constitutional. However, NZ doesn't even have a constitution! At least, it has nothing that can't be overturned by a simple parliamentary majority.
Most people see that as a good thing, me included.

We don't need an upper house or monarch. The history of MPs walking out on their own party when the going goes wrong is enough to comfort me that we still have at least enough politicians of honour to preserve the rest of us from the will of the few barking mad ones.
Old 18th September 2016, 11:44 PM   #685
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Most people see that as a good thing, me included.

We don't need an upper house or monarch.
Australia only got a GST after many years of campaigning and John Howard had to stake his entire political future on it. Even then, he needed to do a deal with the AD to get the legislation passed. In NZ, the PM merely had to click his fingers. Admittedly, that was in the days before MMP.

BTW you still have a monarch.

...... politicians of honour ......
Old 18th September 2016, 11:49 PM   #686
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

BTW you still have a monarch.
We're slowly unpacking the old hag from our legislation.
Old 18th September 2016, 11:54 PM   #687
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

We're They're slowly unpacking the old hag from our their legislation.
ftfy.
Old 19th September 2016, 12:18 AM   #688
boggis the cat
Thinker

However, NZ doesn't even have a constitution! At least, it has nothing that can't be overturned by a simple parliamentary majority.
We have a 'Constitution Act', that clarifies what is / isn't legal and how the country is governed:
"The Constitution Act 1986 is a key formal statement of New Zealand's system of government, in particular the executive, legislature and the judiciary."
gg.govt.nz/role/constofnz.htm (not allowed to link that, being a newbie).

Given that we are relatively small, it doesn't make too much sense to have separate legislative houses etc. We did have an upper house for a short period, but I guess it was realised that it was a bit pointless.

Any law can be challenged, and brought before the courts, so a parliamentary majority (which is difficult to get if you are trying to ram through legislation that is a bit dubious, due to the proportional representation system effectively requiring multiple parties to form coalitions in order to form a government) is not necessarily all that you need.
boggis the cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 12:21 AM   #689
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

We're slowly unpacking the old hag from our legislation.
Let the old chick die first.

She is pretty cool........as a person.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 01:56 AM   #690
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by boggis the cat View Post
We have a 'Constitution Act', that clarifies what is / isn't legal and how the country is governed:
https://gg.govt.nz/role/constofnz.htm (ftfy)
The constitution act is not a constitution. It is a simple act of parliament and it can be amended or revoked by an act of parliament. It would probably be political suicide for a party to do so but ego and stupidity go hand in hand in politics.

Given that we are relatively small, it doesn't make too much sense to have separate legislative houses etc. We did have an upper house for a short period, but I guess it was realised that it was a bit pointless.
The upper house was abolished because its members were appointed by the government so it didn't perform a review function anyway. Queensland abolished its upper house for the same reason.

In all other states, the upper houses are elected by the people so it would be harder to mount a case for their abolition - in spite of the fact that most Australian states have a smaller population than NZ.

Any law can be challenged, and brought before the courts, so a parliamentary majority (which is difficult to get if you are trying to ram through legislation that is a bit dubious, due to the proportional representation system effectively requiring multiple parties to form coalitions in order to form a government) is not necessarily all that you need.
The courts can thumb their noses at the laws or interpret the living daylights out of them but they have no authority to overturn them.
Old 19th September 2016, 11:10 PM   #691
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

ftfy.
Uh, no.

It's mine and ours, no theirs.

Let the old chick die first.

She is pretty cool........as a person.
What's so cool about her?

That she insists her own grandson's wife curtsies in her presence?

That she tells her grandson off in public for treating his kid like his kid?

I've yet to see a single redeeming feature in the horrible old ****.
Old 19th September 2016, 11:15 PM   #692
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Uh, no.

What's so cool about her?

That she insists her own grandson's wife curtsies in her presence?

That she tells her grandson off in public for treating his kid like his kid?

I've yet to see a single redeeming feature in the horrible old ****.
Yeah but she is awesome in the sack. Trust me

Last edited by cullennz; 19th September 2016 at 11:29 PM.
Old 19th September 2016, 11:30 PM   #693
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Uh, no.

Publicly, the politicians are saying this too. But privately .....
Old 20th September 2016, 02:10 AM   #694
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Yeah but she is awesome in the sack. Trust me
Mate, a 90-year old who's been dicked by that old scroat Philip? God knows how many different kinds of clap he's had since WWII.

All yours.
Old 30th September 2016, 04:17 PM   #695
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

That felt bigger than 4.5. Books fell off.

Fun though

Old 1st October 2016, 04:22 AM   #696
Samson
Philosopher

Fun though
An affair with Rachel Macgregor?
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 04:23 AM   #697
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
An affair with Rachel Macgregor?
Lol

Old 1st October 2016, 04:45 AM   #698
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Fun though
I looked through AAH to find the post you were responding to. I couldn't find it. I guess it must have been moved to deep storage.
Old 1st October 2016, 11:04 AM   #699
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I looked through AAH to find the post you were responding to. I couldn't find it. I guess it must have been moved to deep storage.
There was an earthquake in Wellington, something which is not at all rare. It was a bit bigger than normal.

I once had the extreme pleasure of there being an earthquake while I was having sex, and yes I did ask.
Old 13th October 2016, 10:07 PM   #700
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Helen Kelly (union advocate) has died after her battle with lung cancer.

Hated her politics and personally found her annoying, but fair play to her. What she stood for she never backed down from and for that she deserves kudos.

She also would have probably walked into a very good career with the Labour party

Condolences to her family

Old 13th October 2016, 10:45 PM   #701
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Helen Kelly (union advocate) has died after her battle with lung cancer.

Hated her politics and personally found her annoying, but fair play to her. What she stood for she never backed down from and for that she deserves kudos.

She also would have probably walked into a very good career with the Labour party

Condolences to her family
Well said, mate.

Pity it's overshadowing the hard news of the day, which is no lesser masthead than The Times today utterly vilifying Lowell Goddard.

She will sue!

I have $10 on The Times already. I can see every word they've pri9nted being true.
Old 13th October 2016, 11:29 PM   #702
Samson
Philosopher

Well said, mate.

Pity it's overshadowing the hard news of the day, which is no lesser masthead than The Times today utterly vilifying Lowell Goddard.

She will sue!

I have $10 on The Times already. I can see every word they've pri9nted being true.
She hung up her robes here before pigging out over there.
I guess she is damaged goods and to all intents and purposes gainfully retired.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2016, 01:12 AM   #703
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

She hung up her robes here before pigging out over there.
I guess she is damaged goods and to all intents and purposes gainfully retired.
I will freely admit I know Jack about the circumstances, but something doesn't quite sound right about the story.

She is only one of many that have been drafted in and for various reasons spat out by those that are in power

Old 14th October 2016, 12:10 PM   #704
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I will freely admit I know Jack about the circumstances, but something doesn't quite sound right about the story.
I've been following the story since her appointment.

The part that isn't right about the story is a judge of such obvious and known elitist views being selected for the job.
Old 14th October 2016, 03:48 PM   #705
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I've been following the story since her appointment.

The part that isn't right about the story is a judge of such obvious and known elitist views being selected for the job.
If you look before her appointment you will see the other two spat out as well

Old 14th October 2016, 04:50 PM   #706
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

If you look before her appointment you will see the other two spat out as well
Sure. Nothing says "scraping the bottom of the barrel" like picking someone from the exact opposite side of the world.

She knew that going in and was arrogant enough in her own [seriously lacking] abilities to have a go.

She walked with half a mio, which isn't a bad price for hoisting oneself with one's own petard.
Old 14th October 2016, 04:57 PM   #707
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Sure. Nothing says "scraping the bottom of the barrel" like picking someone from the exact opposite side of the world.

She knew that going in and was arrogant enough in her own [seriously lacking] abilities to have a go.

She walked with half a mio, which isn't a bad price for hoisting oneself with one's own petard.
Maybe.

Confess I don't know enough about her.

Just screams old boys club hitching the wagons

Old 4th December 2016, 10:38 PM   #708
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

John Key resigns.

His wife caught him bonking Paula Bennett and told him if he didn't quit, she'd leave him, causing a Len Brown to the power of a googol of trouble for both him and his beloved Nazi National Party.

You heard it here first!

(At least there's no chance of falling off Paula Bennett!)
Old 7th December 2016, 02:46 AM   #709
Samson
Philosopher

John Key resigns.

His wife caught him bonking Paula Bennett and told him if he didn't quit, she'd leave him, causing a Len Brown to the power of a googol of trouble for both him and his beloved Nazi National Party.

You heard it here first!

(At least there's no chance of falling off Paula Bennett!)
I doubt currency front runner key has done much of that nature.

Of more interest is steaming compost pile Collins.

I posted to kiwi blog

..............It was a contact wound, that is not disputed by any one currently. The trajectory was exactly consistent with the most relaxed method of self delivery, gun butt on floor and leaning head in to muzzle. How can finger prints trump that? Was David Bain researching angles before persuading Robin to pose and be shot? ATM withdrawals at midnight show motive. They were shooting through after the scandal erupted. Robin denied the opportunity.

Oh yes, if Collins knew all this she is an evil witch, if she didn’t she is a dumb witch.
You want that mess for prime minister?.....................

Over to you Atheist.
Old 7th December 2016, 05:32 PM   #710
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I doubt currency front runner key has done much of that nature.
There's a reason there somewhere we don't know. The story about his lonely wife is balls. They had no kids at home and he's not out of the country that much. He also does virtually nothing, leaving cabinet to cabinet. He is the least hard-working PM this (and maybe any other) country has ever had.

Hands-off Johnny.

For Zarquon's sake, he used to appear regularly on shock radio - claiming now he's too busy is absurd.

Of more interest is steaming compost pile Collins.
I reckon her colour matches Trump's too.

Over to you Atheist.
1 Monomania
2 Nobody cares
3 Even if they did care, it wouldn't affect their vote
Old 8th December 2016, 01:45 AM   #711
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

There's a reason there somewhere we don't know. The story about his lonely wife is balls. They had no kids at home and he's not out of the country that much. He also does virtually nothing, leaving cabinet to cabinet. He is the least hard-working PM this (and maybe any other) country has ever had.

Hands-off Johnny.

For Zarquon's sake, he used to appear regularly on shock radio - claiming now he's too busy is absurd.

I reckon her colour matches Trump's too.

1 Monomania
2 Nobody cares
3 Even if they did care, it wouldn't affect their vote
Think the dude just couldn't really get into the job as much.

Doesn't need it.

Sorts it for Bill and all is sweet

Old 8th December 2016, 11:51 AM   #712
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Sorts it for Bill and all is sweet
It sure is.

If I could have designed the most worthless, least charismatic person to try to lead National to further glory, I doubt I could have come up with someone as good as Billy.

The Conservative part might appeal, but he's going to turn lots of National voters with a uterus off. Kiwi chicks are massively in favour of abortion choice and putting a rabidly anti-abortion Catholic in charge is a very good thing.

He's a farmer when the vote is in the cities; he's a Southlander who barely speaks the language of his name, but Auckland has 1/3 of the votes; he is the perfect foil for an energised Little and Labour.

We're still partying.
Old 8th December 2016, 12:02 PM   #713
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

It sure is.

If I could have designed the most worthless, least charismatic person to try to lead National to further glory, I doubt I could have come up with someone as good as Billy.

The Conservative part might appeal, but he's going to turn lots of National voters with a uterus off. Kiwi chicks are massively in favour of abortion choice and putting a rabidly anti-abortion Catholic in charge is a very good thing.

He's a farmer when the vote is in the cities; he's a Southlander who barely speaks the language of his name, but Auckland has 1/3 of the votes; he is the perfect foil for an energised Little and Labour.

We're still partying.
Mate

It's battle of the boring

Little and English have to be two of the most personality lacking, boring people in our fine country.

Imagine the debates

Old 8th December 2016, 12:53 PM   #714
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Mate

It's battle of the boring

Little and English have to be two of the most personality lacking, boring people in our fine country.

Imagine the debates
No question on that.

Still, I'd give Little the edge in the contest because his face is newer than English, who's been around forever.

Might be Winnie's turn!
Old 8th December 2016, 01:01 PM   #715
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

No question on that.

Still, I'd give Little the edge in the contest because his face is newer than English, who's been around forever.

Might be Winnie's turn!
I have a feeling Winnies first demand if he ends up king maker will be no change to Super

Old 9th December 2016, 12:29 AM   #716
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I have a feeling Winnies first demand if he ends up king maker will be no change to Super
National's already on that promise.

Great way to screw up the country. By the time we feel the effects of 1,000,000 Kiwis on Nat Super we'll be glad the planet is **********.
Old 9th December 2016, 01:18 AM   #717
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

National's already on that promise.

Great way to screw up the country. By the time we feel the effects of 1,000,000 Kiwis on Nat Super we'll be glad the planet is **********.
Not now

No Key

Old 9th December 2016, 01:46 AM   #718
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Not now

No Key
Pretty sure I saw Billy-boy saying the other day it was staying.
Old 9th December 2016, 01:49 AM   #719
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Pretty sure I saw Billy-boy saying the other day it was staying.
Didn't here it

Bit dumb if true.

But then Labour will need Winston

Old 2nd February 2019, 11:42 AM   #720
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Have all the Kiwis left?

Or did the lovely family of travelling chavs get its own thread?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics