ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags New Zealand issues , New Zealand politics

Old 3rd February 2019, 04:32 PM   #721
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

All in Oz now.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 07:16 AM   #722
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

We just don't have much worth complaining about compared to everyone else.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 03:39 PM   #723
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
We just don't have much worth complaining about compared to everyone else.
Or, more importantly, is we do have complaints, we sit and harbour them until they become obsessions.
Old 13th March 2019, 09:18 PM   #724
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Just getting it on record that whoever punched Greenmunist co-leader, James Shaw, today, it was not me.

I wasn't there and know nothing about it.
Old 13th March 2019, 11:56 PM   #725
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Shakespeare
Old 14th March 2019, 12:45 AM   #726
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Haha!

I killed one of their former leaders a few years back. At least, I take the credit for it.

They were led by a charming young bloke called Rod Donald. He made the mistake of thinking my anti-US invective made me an ally and reached out to me.

I gave him a blistering critique of how useless the Greens were and why he should give up politics and take up teaching macrame.

He died about a week later.
Old 15th March 2019, 10:42 AM   #727
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I killed one of their former leaders a few years back. At least, I take the credit for it...

He died about a week later.
Rod Donald
Quote:
Shortly after midnight on 6 November 2005, the day before his scheduled swearing-in for his fourth term in Parliament, he died suddenly at his Christchurch home after suffering for a few days from Campylobacter jejuni food poisoning from an unknown source.
Where were you during the first week of November 2005?

Originally Posted by The Atheist
Just getting it on record that whoever punched Greenmunist co-leader, James Shaw, today, it was not me.

I wasn't there and know nothing about it.
Yeah, just like you weren't there and knew nothing about Rod Donald's death, right? Why should we take the word of a self-confessed murderer?
Old 15th March 2019, 11:13 AM   #728
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Gotta admit, this joke got a lot less funny yesterday.
Old 15th March 2019, 01:14 PM   #729
zorro99
Muse

New Zealand should build a wall
Old 15th March 2019, 03:30 PM   #730
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
New Zealand should build a wall
Yeah, you'd think a 2000-mile wide moat would be enough.
Old 17th April 2019, 12:04 AM   #731
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Well the fancy, eagerly awaited CGT was a fizzer.

Winston shows who is the boss.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 12:24 AM   #732
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Well the fancy, eagerly awaited CGT was a fizzer.

Winston shows who is the boss.
When I heard that I made the comment that I will never vote again. I stand by that - I'm done.

She's turned out to be as gutless and useless as any of them, worrying she might lose the next election if she goes ahead.

Why bother having the bloody working group?

I am utterly pissed off.
Old 17th April 2019, 12:33 AM   #733
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

When I heard that I made the comment that I will never vote again. I stand by that - I'm done.

She's turned out to be as gutless and useless as any of them, worrying she might lose the next election if she goes ahead.

Why bother having the bloody working group?

I am utterly pissed off.
Pretty much

Worried she would lose

Her self professed year of delivery

Add in the Kiwibuild fiasco. Child poverty stats actually being worse, news carbon emmissions are now going to rise for the next 7 years and it seems all they are delivering is strikes.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 02:01 AM   #734
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Yep, and the one policy they actually did enact is extremely stupid - the banning of further oil & gas exploration. And that's with almost 100% of houses built this century reliant on gas for cooking and water heating, and no idea how that's going to get fixed.

I am truly gutted. I spent a lot of money and time on helping the dim bitch get elected and now I have to ask if she's been an improvement on Billy English. Pretty sure she's actually more useless than he would have been.
Old 17th April 2019, 02:17 AM   #735
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

If it helps they are all the same.

There was nothing particularly inspirational coming from the Nats either.

Old 17th April 2019, 03:36 AM   #736
Samson
Philosopher

On May 2 the supreme court hears Jonathan Eaton for the defence and Annabel Markham for the crown, in a public session, debate the Mark Lundy case, an hour each.

It is considered by his supporters he doesn't have a great chance.

The evidence is powerful that Jacinda Ardern knows he is innocent and conclusive the chief justice knows he is innocent.

Willie Young is running the royal commission on the Mosque slaughter and admitted the false mRNA evidence.
Susan Glazebrooke denied Lundy's appeal in 2002.
Helen Winkelmann denied his appeal in 2017/2018
Mark O'Reagan allowed the mRNA evidence admissible for 2015
Ellie France is married to Simon France who sentenced him to 20 years jail in 2015.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 12:24 PM   #737
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

If it helps they are all the same.

There was nothing particularly inspirational coming from the Nats either.
No, but Bill English, for all his faults, did have an actual heart and might well have taken a few steps to help the country.

We also wouldn't have that lying, conniving, hypocritical twat Peters as #2.

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
The evidence is powerful that Jacinda Ardern knows he is innocent ...
Bollocks - there isn't a shred of evidence to say she even has an opinion on it.

While I'm not going to support Ardern, the idea that she "knows" Lundy is innocent is absurd. Given him being in jail since she was at school, I'd be surprised if she had any interest in the case at all. Apart from anything else, there's a little matter of judicial interference in play. She could ask Justin Trudeau how that works.

Mate, you are becoming a bit monomanic about it.
Old 17th April 2019, 02:03 PM   #738
Samson
Philosopher

No, but Bill English, for all his faults, did have an actual heart and might well have taken a few steps to help the country.

We also wouldn't have that lying, conniving, hypocritical twat Peters as #2.

Bollocks - there isn't a shred of evidence to say she even has an opinion on it.

While I'm not going to support Ardern, the idea that she "knows" Lundy is innocent is absurd. Given him being in jail since she was at school, I'd be surprised if she had any interest in the case at all. Apart from anything else, there's a little matter of judicial interference in play. She could ask Justin Trudeau how that works.

Mate, you are becoming a bit monomanic about it.
UMR

"This time last year, (April 2015) we asked about “The result of the Mark Lundy Trial” 41% of New Zealanders followed this story closely (see page 18 of the attached Mood of the Nation report)."

I presume Jacinda Ardern as opposition spokesperson for justice at the time was one of these 41%.

Steve Braunias wrote 100 pages describing the innocence of Mark Lundy in his "The scene of the crime" book and later skipped across Molesworth Street to lunch with Jacinda Ardern during the appeal hearing he was attending in 2017.

Helen Winkelmann as appeal court judge then conveniently declared she was sure Mark Lundy was guilty, then Ardern appointed her chief justice.
This all stinks to high heaven, and needs to be discussed more widely, but you are right to imply vanishingly few care.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 02:16 PM   #739
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I presume Jacinda Ardern as opposition spokesperson for justice at the time was one of these 41%.
The word you're looking for is "assume".
Old 17th April 2019, 02:30 PM   #740
Samson
Philosopher

The word you're looking for is "assume".
No doubt, I will take your word for that.
I am genuinely interested in your assessment of the message and timelines, since you accept he is innocent just from the Lundy thread. This is no trivial matter for a 16 million dollar gig that can endure 14 years.
Old 17th April 2019, 02:52 PM   #741
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I am genuinely interested in your assessment of the message and timelines,...
For Jacinda? The only timeline that matters is she was 18/19 when it happened. I know plenty of people who were teenagers when it happened and they've never heard of Lundy.

Even as justice shadow for Labour, it wouldn't have been on anyone's priority list, and the subject wouldn't have come up. There are 10,000 people in jail in NZ and most of them say they're innocent. I see no reason why Arden would have had any interest in the case out of all the individual prisoners in the country.

I can't find her ever having mentioned the case, or being mentioned in connection with it.
Old 17th April 2019, 03:07 PM   #742
Samson
Philosopher

For Jacinda? The only timeline that matters is she was 18/19 when it happened. I know plenty of people who were teenagers when it happened and they've never heard of Lundy.

Even as justice shadow for Labour, it wouldn't have been on anyone's priority list, and the subject wouldn't have come up. There are 10,000 people in jail in NZ and most of them say they're innocent. I see no reason why Arden would have had any interest in the case out of all the individual prisoners in the country.

I can't find her ever having mentioned the case, or being mentioned in connection with it.
The herald article of Braunias from about aiugust last year has disappeared, in which he described waiting for the judgement. That is where he described the lunch. She will never mention the case because it is a vote loser, but she will be fully aware of his innocence as are all those who collide squarely with the case.

Importantly, a thorough reading of the judgement contains proof of innocence, but as totally independant Charlie Wilkes wrote while waiting,

"My guess is this: They realize the case is pure ******** but they are going to quash his appeal anyway, and they are trying to figure out how to word their ruling and when to announce it.
Maybe then people will realize that debunking the evidence is not enough. Someone has to solve the crime."

and

"Heh. I bet that's why they are dragging their feet. They're trying to figure out how they wave away a slew of exculpatory points and quash the appeal without seeming like idiots."

and

"They will uphold the conviction. They are trying to figure out how to word their ruling."

Winkelmann played ball, and yet Ardern appointed her chief justice. These two women are not stupid enough to not understand what they have done. It is political and unforgivable.

By the way virtually no one in prison claims they are innocent, another fallacy, but not for this thread.

Last edited by Samson; 17th April 2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 17th April 2019, 03:29 PM   #743
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

... but she will be fully aware of his innocence as are all those who collide squarely with the case..
Just more assumption. The rest of your post belongs in the Lundy thread.
Old 17th April 2019, 03:44 PM   #744
Samson
Philosopher

Just more assumption. The rest of your post belongs in the Lundy thread.
I consider this non USA politics, the process and considerations that get a New Zealand chief justice in front of the people for 14 years, and her ethical credentials.
Or maybe social issues.
Old 17th April 2019, 04:32 PM   #745
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Meanwhile, the Environment Aotearoa report is an indictment on the state of our country, with 3/4 of vertebrates under threat, among other highlights.
Old 18th April 2019, 01:49 AM   #746
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I consider this non USA politics, the process and considerations that get a New Zealand chief justice in front of the people for 14 years, and her ethical credentials.
Or maybe social issues.
How exactly do you work that out?

I have very little interest in the Lundy case (mainly because I had never heard of it till a few years ago) and if I was I would go to the dedicated Lundy thread on the sub forum devoted to "trials" and "mistrials". Because if it weren't for his trial he wouldn't even be relevant.

What I do have an interest in is my countries politics, which is why I look at this NZ thread on the "politics" sub forum.

What I hope to see is interesting tit bits on politics.

Not post after post about Lundy's innocence/guilt and anyone associated with his appeals

And frankly you seem to be trying to derail it.

Old 18th April 2019, 02:10 AM   #747
Samson
Philosopher

How exactly do you work that out?

I have very little interest in the Lundy case (mainly because I had never heard of it till a few years ago) and if I was I would go to the dedicated Lundy thread on the sub forum devoted to "trials" and "mistrials". Because if it weren't for his trial he wouldn't even be relevant.

What I do have an interest in is my countries politics, which is why I look at this NZ thread on the "politics" sub forum.

What I hope to see is interesting tit bits on politics.

Not post after post about Lundy's innocence/guilt and anyone associated with his appeals

And frankly you seem to be trying to derail it.
The appointment of the New Zealand chief justice is made by the prime minister so is political.
This thread looks ideal to discuss the appointment.
Imagine an appointment to the US supreme court not being discussed, they care about their system, but you clearly could not care less dear fellow New Zealander.
Unfortunately the appointment was made immediately after Helen Winkelmann made a false statement, and this is the issue.
Old 18th April 2019, 02:13 AM   #748
Samson
Philosopher

Meanwhile, the Environment Aotearoa report is an indictment on the state of our country, with 3/4 of vertebrates under threat, among other highlights.
Ardern is an invertebrate by your assessment and mine for disparate reasons, so not endangered.
Old 18th April 2019, 02:36 AM   #749
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

The appointment of the New Zealand chief justice is made by the prime minister so is political.
You've already discussed it to the point where I advised you that calling her a liar was a bad plan, so unless you have something new to offer, it's dead and buried.

She was appointed December last year, so it's hardly news either.
Old 18th April 2019, 02:49 AM   #750
Samson
Philosopher

You've already discussed it to the point where I advised you that calling her a liar was a bad plan, so unless you have something new to offer, it's dead and buried.

She was appointed December last year, so it's hardly news either.
It is an enduring insult to the scientific community in New Zealand, but of course they are disgracefully silent. It is the con job from hell and ignored in the beating heart of Wellington. We endure the crap for 14 years if nothing is done. We've only just begun.
Since you were prepared to correct any notion that the chief justice can be accused of lying why do you dredge it up?
False statements are lawful.
Old 18th April 2019, 04:45 AM   #751
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Imagine an appointment to the US supreme court not being discussed, they care about their system, but you clearly could not care less dear fellow New Zealander.
Unfortunately the appointment was made immediately after Helen Winkelmann made a false statement, and this is the issue.
I think most people who care know the appointment was dodgy as and timed in between loads of things to push it into the background.

I just don't get why you bring up individual cases when the majority of the country don't know.

Old 18th April 2019, 01:32 PM   #752
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

carbon emmissions are now going to rise for the next 7 years and...
Originally Posted by The Atheist
...the one policy they actually did enact is extremely stupid - the banning of further oil & gas exploration.
???

Quote:
And that's with almost 100% of houses built this century reliant on gas for cooking and water heating,
That's stupid.

But is it relevant?

New Zealand's Energy Mix
Quote:
New Zealand has the third highest rate of renewable energy as a portion of primary supply in the OECD (after Norway and Iceland). 40% of our energy comes from renewable sources... This is the highest proportion from renewable energy since records began.

Energy use per sector

Industry 38%
Transport 36%
Domestic 11%
Commercial & Public Services 9%
Agriculture, Forest, Fish 6.2%

Energy use in households

Space heating 34%
Hot water 29%
Other appliances 13%
Refrigeration 10%
Lighting 8%
Oven 6%

Or even true?

Stats NZ: 2013 Census QuickStats about housing
Quote:
Use of electricity for heating continues to increase

Electricity remained the most common fuel type used to heat dwellings, by a wide margin, and the use of electricity for heating increased since the last census. In 2013, electricity was used for heating in 79.2 percent of occupied private dwellings, compared with 74.8 percent in 2006, and 72.0 percent in 2001.

Wood was the second most common heating fuel, but the use of wood for heating decreased. In 2013, wood was used in 36.8 percent of occupied private dwellings, down from 40.9 percent in 2006, and 44.7 percent in 2001.

Use of mains gas for heating remained relatively low, at 12.0 percent. Mains gas is only available in some areas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NZ hot water.jpg (139.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 18th April 2019, 03:21 PM   #753
Samson
Philosopher

I think most people who care know the appointment was dodgy as and timed in between loads of things to push it into the background.

I just don't get why you bring up individual cases when the majority of the country don't know.
This happened to Arthur Allan Thomas, and is being perpetuated at the highest political and judicial levels I believe because of public opinion. This is wrong, and Ardern and Winkelmann know this. Until New Zealanders understand there is malice aforethought in keeping Mark Lundy in jail we are screwed.
I don't like it even if the rest of the country does not care.
I will go to the supreme court hearing and watch Annabel Markham QC deliver a second flogging to Mark Lundy on behalf of the political and judicial classes.
I hope she is sleeping well. She flogged him at the privy council and lost.
Old 18th April 2019, 04:28 PM   #754
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
???

That's stupid.

But is it relevant?
Of course it's relevant - almost all new houses are built attached to a gas pipe that will run dry in the next decade or two.

That means there will need to be either massive infrastructure spending to change the energy supply or import shiploads of gas from overseas.

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Or even true?
Absolutely.

So far this century, the enormous majority of new builds have been in cities and attached to the gas line.
Old 22nd May 2019, 11:51 PM   #755
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Political parties tremble as outright crook, Apostle Bishop Brian Tamaki starts a new political party.

Given that his previous effort was an abysmal failure, I confidently predict this one will be as well. Too thick to even buy the domain name first.

A complete piece of ****, without who the country would be a better place.
Old 23rd May 2019, 12:15 PM   #756
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Political parties tremble as outright crook, Apostle Bishop Brian Tamaki starts a new political party.

Given that his previous effort was an abysmal failure, I confidently predict this one will be as well. Too thick to even buy the domain name first.

A complete piece of ****, without who the country would be a better place.
It sounds as though his coming to the UK could be a win-win. He might actually be an improvement on three of our national parties.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2019, 05:33 PM   #757
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
It sounds as though his coming to the UK could be a win-win. He might actually be an improvement on three of our national parties.
Even Farage is a better person than Brian Tamaki.

In fact, to find a bigger cheat, liar and fraud, than Apostle Bishop Brian Tamaki and his equally crooked and hideous wife, Hannah, you'd probably need to go to your local jail.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics