ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Conor Burns , Tories , UK incidents , uk politics

Old 4th May 2020, 03:50 AM   #1
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Tory Minister resigns Over 'Attempt To Intimidate Member Of The Publicí

Conor Burns has resigned as trade minister after the standards watchdog said he should be receive a seven-day suspension from the Commons for attempting to intimidate a member of the public.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b639d6e579389b

If the watchdog suggested a 7 day suspension, and he's quit it suggests to me there is more than this that needs investigating.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2020, 03:59 AM   #2
ceptimus
puzzler

The watchdog suggested a seven-day suspension from the Commons: that's because he broke the rules that apply to all MPs - not just ministers. He's resigned as a minister, but he's staying on as an MP. I think that's what you normally expect in these situations.

It's a shame that MPs don't resign as MPs when they're found guilty of breaking the rules, but they rarely do - it usually takes a really serious criminal offence resulting in prison time to make them quit. One Labour MP recently refused to quit even after serving her prison time, and returned to the Commons wearing her ankle tracking device. It took a recall by her constituents to force her out. This is one reason why MPs shouldn't refer to each other as 'honourable' - most of them aren't.

Last edited by ceptimus; 4th May 2020 at 04:02 AM.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2020, 05:04 AM   #3
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
It's a shame that MPs don't resign as MPs when they're found guilty of breaking the rules, but they rarely do - it usually takes a really serious criminal offence resulting in prison time to make them quit. One Labour MP recently refused to quit even after serving her prison time, and returned to the Commons wearing her ankle tracking device. It took a recall by her constituents to force her out. This is one reason why MPs shouldn't refer to each other as 'honourable' - most of them aren't.

Although honestly, I'm surprised at that bit. I'd expect people who feel some shame to resign under such conditions, but those who are actually criminals? It's quite surprising that any of them would voluntarily quit a well-paying job, particularly when it's very hard to fire them from said job, and there's no way to actually make them do anything in said job. It's essentially free money for them, for as long as it takes to arrange a recall vote.
Old 4th May 2020, 08:44 AM   #4
Planigale
Illuminator

This was certainly wrong, although probably not criminal. I once had a similar experience with a journalist threatening to put my name and picture in the paper to try and settle a disagreement. I asked for the name and telephone number of his editor, and he refused to give it to me. Nothing happened about the threat although I did keep a contemporaneous note of the 'conversation' for a while. So it is not just politicians who try and exploit their position.

The Scottish MP who had a video taken when threatening violence against a neighbour, does anyone know if he is due for discipline? Or does threatening behaviour not count if it is outside of the commons? This would certainly seem to verge on the criminal.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9472941.html
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2020, 08:50 AM   #5
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

There's a photo of him in the article. He looks EXACTLY like the sort of person who would do such a thing.
Old 4th May 2020, 09:06 AM   #6
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

He needn't worry, resigning in disgrace these days (or even get fired from a cabinet or shadow cabinet job) is no bar to coming back to an even higher position. Ask Johnson and Patel.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics