ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 23rd November 2018, 09:46 AM   #401
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
His name is still on the ballot paper as a Greens candidate.

The party is a disgrace and let’s hope it is decimated and doesn’t have the balance of power in the Upper House. It certainly won’t in the Lower House. Andrews will win comfortably.
It is dangerous to give one party control of both houses.
Old 23rd November 2018, 06:12 PM   #402
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

It's only dangerous if it is the Liberal party.
Old 23rd November 2018, 06:46 PM   #403
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
It is dangerous to give one party control of both houses.
Not in state politics. You should know the extent and the limits of state governments.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:10 PM   #404
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Not in state politics. You should know the extent and the limits of state governments.
You forget that I have had to endure 8 years of a state government that tried to bankrupt this state and nobody could do anything about it.

Although commonwealth law takes precedence over state law, there are no limits to what a state government can do - other than what is in a state's constitution.
Old 24th November 2018, 01:54 AM   #405
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Libs decimated in Victoria and Greens may win only one seat. Daniel Andrew for Canberra in four years time? I never thought he was that good. I was wrong.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2018, 02:54 AM   #406
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Some of the swings in strong LNP seats are staggering. The ALP may have a 35 seat majority.

Morrison must be ******** himself.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 24th November 2018, 03:18 AM   #407
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Well don Victoria.
Old 24th November 2018, 03:18 AM   #408
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Andrew Green predicting a majority of 34. ****.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 24th November 2018, 03:25 AM   #409
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

This is a glorious smacking
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2018, 03:29 AM   #410
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
This is a glorious smacking
Danielle Green, who I know and respect, increases her margin.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 24th November 2018, 03:48 AM   #411
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Trying running a xenophobic campaign in the national elections. I dare you, scomo.
Old 24th November 2018, 03:52 AM   #412
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Some of the swings in strong LNP seats are staggering. The ALP may have a 35 seat majority.
It looks like Labor won't get a majority in the legislative council. The Greens got a shellacking and their representation looks set to drop from 5 to just 1 councilor. However, 8 independents look likely to get elected.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/election...ative-council/
Old 24th November 2018, 03:57 AM   #413
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Trying running a xenophobic campaign in the national elections. I dare you, scomo.
Excellent point. Victoria has always been the most progressive state, and Morrison will be punished here for his policies.

NSW will almost certainly go Labor at the next state election. Morrison is ******

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 24th November 2018, 04:04 AM   #414
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Excellent point. Victoria has always been the most progressive state, and Morrison will be punished here for his policies.

NSW will almost certainly go Labor at the next state election. Morrison is ******
I love the colour and diversity of our cultural capital. May it live long.
Old 24th November 2018, 06:17 AM   #415
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

So Scomo...what's YOUR next move? Back on the bus for another Yankee beer commercial? Not that that will help your Victorian mates now. Or perhaps you should consider MUCH more closely the company you keep...with droogs like Abbott and Dutton hanging about, you too could take your once-great party to a record pasting at the national level.

Also, there are reports the Liberal Party of Victoria have asked for the immediate resignation of their president, Michael Kroger. Young Mike also plays some sort of role at the national level...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2018, 06:32 AM   #416
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
I love the colour and diversity of our cultural capital. May it live long.

Do you mean 'Diversity of Colour' and 'Unity of Opinion' as is taught in most universities?

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2018, 07:57 AM   #417
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
Do you mean 'Diversity of Colour' and 'Unity of Opinion' as is taught in most universities?
I am not familiar with those terms, so probably not. It is a diverse and harmonious society that sticks a finger in the eye of fear mongering xenophobes.
Old 24th November 2018, 02:25 PM   #418
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I’ve been trying to find an Aussie politics forum to look at. Know the most vibran by far? The Bigfooty politics section!!!!! 30+ pages since last nigh. Says a lot about Oz.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 24th November 2018, 04:42 PM   #419
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Came here to join the celebrations, and was not disappointed.

Sounds like the Greens in Melbourne have been doing some pretty serious foot shooting.

I suspect that the Lie-beral Coal-alition did themselves a bit of damage by trying to score political points on the death of Mr Malaspina.

Not to mention (using the words that the Liberals made popular with endless repetition) "knifing a sitting Prime Minister".

I love the idea that their behaviour keeps on coming back to bite them, again and again.

Bill Shorten has also seriously wedged them by adopting the National Energy Guarantee...

Rock on May, you can't get here too soon.

Old 24th November 2018, 04:48 PM   #420
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Came here to join the celebrations, and was not disappointed.

Sounds like the Greens in Melbourne have been doing some pretty serious foot shooting.

I suspect that the Lie-beral Coal-alition did themselves a bit of damage by trying to score political points on the death of Mr Malaspina.

Not to mention (using the words that the Liberals made popular with endless repetition) "knifing a sitting Prime Minister".

I love the idea that their behaviour keeps on coming back to bite them, again and again.

Bill Shorten has also seriously wedged them by adopting the National Energy Guarantee...

Rock on May, you can't get here too soon.

After this, it is now more likely that an early election could be called. NSW will go to Labor, even with the leadership change. At the moment, Morrison is looking at a loss of 20 seats. With more disasterous results he could lose far more.

Interestingly, if other states stay the same (they won’t) a federal vote in Victoria similar to yesterday would be enough to kick Morrison into touch.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 24th November 2018, 10:01 PM   #421
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

After this, it is now more likely that an early election could be called. NSW will go to Labor, even with the leadership change. At the moment, Morrison is looking at a loss of 20 seats. With more disasterous results he could lose far more.

Interestingly, if other states stay the same (they won’t) a federal vote in Victoria similar to yesterday would be enough to kick Morrison into touch.
I think after the Victorian election result the Government will be looking to delay the election as long as possible. They will then try to get their house in order and persuade the people that they are a viable government. Then when the election is called run a scare campaign against Labor. Do not bother to campaign on their own record. Nor what they will do in the next 3 years if they win. Just make the campaign as dirty and scary as possible.

I say that any government that tries to do this should be kicked out of government.
Old 24th November 2018, 10:41 PM   #422
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

My prediction is that they'll run a "Big Lie" campaign and hit it really hard.

Not much of a prediction, it's been done before.

I don't think they'll risk "Labor will force your children to be gay." again, after what happened this time, but could be wrong.
Old 24th November 2018, 10:43 PM   #423
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

...a federal vote in Victoria similar to yesterday would be enough to kick Morrison into touch.
I really liked this metaphor.

I am biased though, I really don't like Morrisson.
Old 24th November 2018, 11:36 PM   #424
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

It looks like Labor and the one Green will have 19 in the LC which will mean they only have to get one of the 8 or so loonies to get bills through. Should make governing pretty straightforward. And i do mean loonies. We will have anti-vaxxer’s, climate denies, racists and taxi drivers among the new “upper” house. Some who achieved 0.6% of the vote with the preference deals done.

Australia generally has a world class electoral system when it comes to the houses of the people. In upper house systems are shambolic.

Last edited by lionking; 24th November 2018 at 11:39 PM.
Old 25th November 2018, 12:25 AM   #425
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I do not like the table in the link above for the Legislative Council Results. So I did my own. The results are below.

PartySeats
Labor19
Liberal9
Derryn Hinch Justice Party4
Transport Matters Party2
Animal Justice Party1
Aussie Battler Party1
Greens1
Liberal Democrats1
National1
Sustainable Australia1
Old 25th November 2018, 01:07 AM   #426
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I do not like the table in the link above for the Legislative Council Results. So I did my own. The results are below.

PartySeats
Labor19
Liberal9
Derryn Hinch Justice Party4
Transport Matters Party2
Animal Justice Party1
Aussie Battler Party1
Greens1
Liberal Democrats1
National1
Sustainable Australia1
I’m certain that is not the final result, but if it is, it makes the ALP’s job even easier. The fractious manner of micro party members means that it would be rather easy to bribe convince one of them to move over from the crossbench.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 25th November 2018, 03:25 AM   #427
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

It looks like Labor and the one Green will have 19 in the LC which will mean they only have to get one of the 8 or so loonies to get bills through. Should make governing pretty straightforward. And i do mean loonies. We will have anti-vaxxer’s, climate denies, racists and taxi drivers among the new “upper” house. Some who achieved 0.6% of the vote with the preference deals done.

Australia generally has a world class electoral system when it comes to the houses of the people. In upper house systems are shambolic.
Don't blame me, I numbered all 45. But you're right, the senate/council voting needs an overhaul.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2018, 03:26 AM   #428
Wildy
Adelaidean

They can't delay too long unless they want to have Reps and Senate elections out of sync.
Old 25th November 2018, 03:38 AM   #429
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Don't blame me, I numbered all 45. But you're right, the senate/council voting needs an overhaul.
I must admit that I voted early as I am in Perth this weekend. I did it in a rush and voted above the line. Idiot.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 25th November 2018, 05:14 AM   #430
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Voting in the Senate was reformed before the last election so that the "preference whisperers" can no longer do their stuff. It appears that Western Australia and Victoria haven't followed suit.
Old 25th November 2018, 05:16 PM   #431
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Mr Morrison still hasn't made any official statement on the results of the Victorian election.
Old 25th November 2018, 06:46 PM   #432
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Voting in the Senate was reformed before the last election so that the "preference whisperers" can no longer do their stuff. It appears that Western Australia and Victoria haven't followed suit.
I’m certain it will change now.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 25th November 2018, 06:48 PM   #433
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Mr Morrison still hasn't made any official statement on the results of the Victorian election.
The man lacks so much, and you can now add “class” to his many deficiencies. Not even a statement to congratulate Andrews. Shameful.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 25th November 2018, 09:30 PM   #434
Dabop
Muse

snip
And i do mean loonies. We will have anti-vaxxer’s, climate denies, racists and taxi drivers among the new “upper” house.
snip.
And thats just in the Libs...

(OK maybe not taxi drivers...)

The man lacks so much, and you can now add “class” to his many deficiencies. Not even a statement to congratulate Andrews. Shameful.
LOL

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
My prediction is that they'll run a "Big Lie" campaign and hit it really hard.

Not much of a prediction, it's been done before.

I don't think they'll risk "Labor will force your children to be gay." again, after what happened this time, but could be wrong.
Well they can't use the 'We are better because Labor has had 3 different PM's in the last few years- because the Libs have had exactly the same number now, Labor at least only had two different people and went back, Libs have had three and already rumbles are starting about Morrison lol- I wonder if they will go for four???

Personally the Federal Libs wont go the 'gay kids' route, but I expect they will probably try out the tired old 'boat people are coming' scare campaign again (esp considering Morrisons past portfolio history) and it seems to be the Libs fallback position...

'Not much of a prediction, it's been done before' indeed!

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2018, 09:49 PM   #435
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

He has now spoken about the election. During Question Time.

Quote:
Catherine King to Scott Morrison:

Can the prime minister tell the parliament how Saturday was such a ringing endorsement of his government’s policies.

Morrison:

“All I note is the hubris and arrogance of the Labor Party. Premier Andrews won the election of Victoria, not you. That is who won the election in Victoria. Premier Andrews won the election in Victoria. We have worked with Premier Andrews over the last a lot of years Mr Speaker, and we have our differences. But there is no doubt that at the election on the weekend, they choose to return the incumbent government of Victoria. And I congratulate Premier Andrews on that result. Why wouldn’t you, Mr Speaker? It is a significant achievement with an increased majority. In Victoria and implement is at 4.5 per cent which is lower than the national average Mr Speaker. In Victoria we have been delivering with the Victorian government record investment in infrastructure, Mr Speaker

“...There will be a choice at the next election and it will not be involving any premier of any of the states, it will be between me and you!”
Source

Class indeed.
Old 25th November 2018, 09:57 PM   #436
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
He has now spoken about the election. During Question Time.

Quote:
In Victoria and implement is at 4.5 per cent which is lower than the national average Mr Speaker.

Does he understand what he actually said here? A 4.5% swing to Labor against the Libs is below the National average? Does he expect bigger swings against his Party in May because a 4.5% swing is something to be set aside as lower than everywhere else?

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2018, 10:41 PM   #437
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dabop View Post
Well they can't use the 'We are better because Labor has had 3 different PM's in the last few years- because the Libs have had exactly the same number now, Labor at least only had two different people and went back, Libs have had three and already rumbles are starting about Morrison lol- I wonder if they will go for four???
The Mad Monk is itching to have another go at it, hence all the recent destabilisation and Malcolm getting the shove. Everyone knew he wanted Dutton to win because that stupid dolt would get flummoxed by the first question (What's your name again, Prime Minister?) and Tony could then triumphantly take back "his" crown (dressed in red Speedos). We chuckled, but that's where he was going with all that crapulence. And he's not stopped ****-stirring either. So don't rule out yet another stupid effort at this from the member for Warringa and Onions.

Quote:
Personally the Federal Libs wont go the 'gay kids' route, but I expect they will probably try out the tired old 'boat people are coming' scare campaign again (esp considering Morrisons past portfolio history) and it seems to be the Libs fallback position...
Do they realise that every single Carnival Cruise liner calling in from Hawaii or Singapore brings far more potential visa-overstayers than a whole year's worth of decrepit Indonesian fishing smacks does in 12 months?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 25th November 2018 at 10:44 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2018, 12:42 AM   #438
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Does he understand what he actually said here? A 4.5% swing to Labor against the Libs is below the National average? Does he expect bigger swings against his Party in May because a 4.5% swing is something to be set aside as lower than everywhere else?

Norm
I think he meant to say unemployment is 4.5% in Victoria, below the national average (correct) and is trying to claim credit for it. The swing is higher than 4.5%. That’s the problem with Hansard. It records what members say verbatim, although they have the opportunity to correct it later.

ETA

Oh I get it now “implement” should be “unemployment”.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 26th November 2018 at 12:44 AM.
Old 26th November 2018, 02:24 PM   #439
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yeah, the Guardian live blogs are basically transcribed in real time in the press gallery. Some typos are inevitable.
Old 26th November 2018, 06:32 PM   #440
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Julia Banks has just announced that she will leave the Liberal Party and become an Independent, and will not contest her seat as a Liberal Party member at the next election.

Which will be in May.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics