ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 21st January 2019, 07:10 PM   #641
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
No. We should delay the election as long as possible. Make sure the Liberals completely disintegrate. This may mean that the opposition party becomes the Greens. Or maybe some loony party that is even worse than the Liberals. National party anyone?

Edit. I also want to watch the lower house. See non government legislation get passed without Government support.
Fair point. But it's unlikely that the Libs will completely disintegrate. I can see them discarding the nutcase looney right though, which would be a good thing. I have no problem with a conservative party in politics - keeps the looney left honest. But when the looney right thugs like Abbott and Dutton get involved, it drags everyone down.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 21st January 2019 at 07:11 PM. Reason: speling
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 07:22 PM   #642
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Abbott and Dutton are both on the fast train out of Canberra.

There is no fast train out of Canberra, by the way.
Old 21st January 2019, 07:48 PM   #643
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post

Toot toot.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 09:18 PM   #644
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Can we return the topic of discussion to the Liberal National Coalition's imminent disintegration? That's much more fun than slagging each other off.
I doubt it. I'm not politically correct enough and that is a hanging offence here.
Old 21st January 2019, 09:22 PM   #645
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
The psion strategy is well known.
Yep. Stating facts and backing them up with references is a good strategy.

Ignoring the core of the argument, regarding the existence of genuine refugees and whether we should feel some empathy for and obligation towards them, and centre on the failed attempts of what has been done before. Assuming those arguing for assisting refugees are lefties and Labor Party supporters, you drag their less than adequate efforts into the picture also. Thereby cementing the impression that nothing can be done.
Meanwhile, back in the real world, Howard's pacific solution worked and Rudd's alternative strategy failed.
Old 21st January 2019, 09:33 PM   #646
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I doubt it. I'm not politically correct enough and that is a hanging offence here.
And yet here you are, still unhanged...
Old 21st January 2019, 09:41 PM   #647
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Yep. Stating facts and backing them up with references is a good strategy.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, Howard's pacific solution worked and Rudd's alternative strategy failed.
Pity these two statements contradict each other, then.
Old 21st January 2019, 09:53 PM   #648
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Pity these two statements contradict each other, then.
Not according to those who read the chart properly.
Old 21st January 2019, 09:54 PM   #649
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

And yet here you are, still unhanged...
That could still happen but in the meantime, expect a lot of venomous opposition to anything that I post.
Old 21st January 2019, 09:56 PM   #650
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Not according to those who read the chart properly.
We went over this. Having indeed read the chart properly, it doesn't support your hypothesis.

That could still happen but in the meantime, expect a lot of venomous opposition to anything that I post.
*YAWN* Yep, sure.
Old 21st January 2019, 09:59 PM   #651
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

*YAWN* Yep, sure.
And you think that passive-aggressive is somehow different to opposition?

Having indeed read the chart properly, it doesn't support your hypothesis.
Explain this to me.

Last edited by psionl0; 21st January 2019 at 10:02 PM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 11:46 PM   #652
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Well how about Palmer moving his company to NZ as a prelude to suing the Australian taxpayer for $45b.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-...ayers/10734744

Quote:
Clive Palmer has channelled his corporate empire through New Zealand and threatened to use free trade rules to sue Australian taxpayers for $45 billion as part of a dispute with a Chinese mining company.

Key points:

A New Zealand company now owns Mr Palmer's Mineralogy
That company is controlled by two of Mr Palmer's companies based in Brisbane
The NZ company wants to use a free trade agreement to sue Australia for $45b over Mr Palmer's mining interests
Mr Palmer, who has re-emerged as one of Australia's richest people according to Forbes magazine, last month transferred the ownership of his flagship Mineralogy company to an Auckland-based holding company.

That company, Mineralogy International Limited (MIL), last week flagged using investor protections under the trans-Tasman free trade agreement to claim $45 billion in damages from the Commonwealth if the Western Australian government intervenes against Mr Palmer in his latest dispute with Chinese state-owned Citic.
This should lead the news tonight and should result in Palmer getting zero votes. It won’t lead the news. In fact I bet it isn’t covered.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 01:16 AM   #653
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Put it in your calendar 12-14 + 18-21 February. The house is sitting. See what happens. See if the Government can well govern. I predict fireworks or no sitting.

Link: https://www.aph.gov.au/News_and_Events/Events_Calendar
Old 22nd January 2019, 01:19 PM   #654
Thor 2
Philosopher

The psion strategy is well known.

Ignoring the core of the argument, regarding the existence of genuine refugees and whether we should feel some empathy for and obligation towards them, and centre on the failed attempts of what has been done before. Assuming those arguing for assisting refugees are lefties and Labor Party supporters, you drag their less than adequate efforts into the picture also. Thereby cementing the impression that nothing can be done.

Translates to: "Refugees don't concern me much."
Old 22nd January 2019, 01:49 PM   #655
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Translates to: "Refugees don't concern me much."
A reinforced bias supported by a classic post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. Never mind.
Old 22nd January 2019, 02:00 PM   #656
Thor 2
Philosopher

Yet another blundered "captains call" by a Liberal leader?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-...ision/10738076

Quote:
Angry Liberals are tearing up their party memberships on the New South Wales south coast over the decision to parachute in former Labor president Warren Mundine to run as a local candidate.
Old 22nd January 2019, 02:08 PM   #657
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

They have finished shooting themselves in both feet and are working their way up their legs now.
Old 22nd January 2019, 02:56 PM   #658
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I do not think it was a mistake, just that they failed to get the agreement of the local branch.
Old 22nd January 2019, 03:09 PM   #659
Thor 2
Philosopher

I do not think it was a mistake, just that they failed to get the agreement of the local branch.

Well the local branch president resigned and after voting Lib for 40 years is supporting the independent guy. Let's see how well the Libs poll with no one handing out the how to vote cards at the booths.
Old 22nd January 2019, 05:27 PM   #660
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I for one am loving watching the disintegration of the Liberal Party.
Old 22nd January 2019, 05:29 PM   #661
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I don't think it is the party of Menzies, nor has it been for some time now. I think Howard's crew saw to that.
Old 22nd January 2019, 05:37 PM   #662
Thor 2
Philosopher

Hey I agree with you there arth!

Way to go bro.
Old 22nd January 2019, 05:48 PM   #663
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Explain this to me.
A reinforced bias supported by a classic post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. Never mind.
That is not an explanation, it is a capitulation.

I could similarly use buzz phrases to describe your posts without reading them but instead, I took the time to explain where your chart reading was faulty.
Old 22nd January 2019, 06:06 PM   #664
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Hey I agree with you there arth!

Way to go bro.
High five.
Old 23rd January 2019, 03:11 AM   #665
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Warren Mundine was and always will be a dud. He will lose that electorate by a landslide

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 23rd January 2019 at 03:13 AM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2019, 03:30 AM   #666
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Warren Mundine was and always will be a dud. He will lose that electorate by a landslide
Just read about who he is. A former Labor person, who wasn't even a member of the Liberal Party when Prime Minister Scott Morrison made the announcement.

Read more dirt about him here: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-...ndine/10739026
Old 23rd January 2019, 01:56 PM   #667
Thor 2
Philosopher

Just read about who he is. A former Labor person, who wasn't even a member of the Liberal Party when Prime Minister Scott Morrison made the announcement.

Read more dirt about him here: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-...ndine/10739026

I admit to a feeling of cynicism about Mundine - somewhat encouraged by a short appraisal of his history. Passed over a number of times in selections within the Labor Party, he spits the dummy with a statement about the nature of the party not being to his liking anymore, and jumps ship. I can't see liberal voters or fence sitters warming to him, and the more leftward leaning would lean toward execution rather than election.
Old 25th January 2019, 04:46 AM   #668
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I was going to post this in the “Ouch 110 degrees” thread, but this is a political issue. Mainly state level, but it impacts nationally.

I must be hopelessly naive, but I thought that when we lost power it was because a tree fell across a line or something similar. I have only now been awoken to:

POWER SHEDDING

There is a roster of suburbs which will be blacked out on high demand days like today. Toorak and Hawthorn lost power today, so it’s not only the down and out suburbs which suffer.

Here’s another thing. I’m also assured that in SA it is publicised which areas are to be “load shedded” and when. Why not everywhere? I’m not personally bitter as my house had power all day, but the place I was working at lost power for 3 hours with very uncomfortable results.

So why not a little honesty. “Your suburb will lose power between 2pm and 5pm today. Buy some ice, keep your pets cool and go to the movies”.

I must say, that I am quite shocked, but not really surprised by this.

Thoughts?

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 25th January 2019, 03:17 PM   #669
Thor 2
Philosopher

When the power demand exceeds the supply capability we have shedding.

Don't think they can predict accurately when and where it may be needed as the demand is fickle.

During my time in Thailand I noted little shedding happened. Instead the voltage dropped when the demand was high. The nominal voltage there is 220V, but I measured it a low as 170V at times. We call this a brownout (as distinct from blackout) and it can be deadly for electric motors, driving refrigerators and air conditioners for example.
Old 25th January 2019, 03:26 PM   #670
Thor 2
Philosopher

Another one jumps ship!

Quote:
Federal Human Services Minister Michael Keenan will not contest the next election

Wants to spend more time with his family. Isn't that nice.
Old 25th January 2019, 04:23 PM   #671
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Wants to spend more time with his family. Isn't that nice.

Well, I do know of one Victorian Senator who quit (read: "got fired") in November 1975 and could have walked back into Parliament at number 3 on the Senate ticket for the election, but thought screw this I would rather go fishing. And when he said fishing, he meant fishing. He sent his request to retire and go onto the pension the next day.

Given the pressure of parliament, which is actually very real, retiring on a full Parliamentary pension and doing something a lot less stressful like being with your family, or work you really enjoy, is a very real option.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2019, 04:30 PM   #672
Thor 2
Philosopher

Now Nigel Scullion is out as well. I wonder if Morrison will pull the pin next?
Old 25th January 2019, 04:58 PM   #673
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Well, I do know of one Victorian Senator who quit (read: "got fired") in November 1975 and could have walked back into Parliament at number 3 on the Senate ticket for the election, but thought screw this I would rather go fishing. And when he said fishing, he meant fishing. He sent his request to retire and go onto the pension the next day.

Given the pressure of parliament, which is actually very real, retiring on a full Parliamentary pension and doing something a lot less stressful like being with your family, or work you really enjoy, is a very real option.

Norm
Sure a MP can be a stressful job, but he’s only in his 40s, has done the hard yards and is a Minister he has staff, advisors and a whole department at his disposal.

No, he knows what’s coming and can’t be stuffed fighting a losing battle. I expect others, and I think Julie Bishop will soon stand down.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 25th January 2019, 06:07 PM   #674
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Now Nigel Scullion is out as well. I wonder if Morrison will pull the pin next?
He is 62 and will be 63 around the election time. So it is reasonable that he retire.
Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Scullion

More about his retirement: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-...l-clp/10747898
Old 25th January 2019, 07:23 PM   #675
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Thanks for that. Gave me a genuine laugh. I can't remember how many times a fast train from Canberra to Sydney has been proposed.

"We just need 1 million people to pay $1000 per ticket, each way, every day, for ten years, to pay for it..."
Old 25th January 2019, 07:25 PM   #676
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

And yet here you are, still unhinged...
FTFY or FTFH or something...
Old 25th January 2019, 07:30 PM   #677
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I was going to post this in the “Ouch 110 degrees” thread, but this is a political issue. Mainly state level, but it impacts nationally.

I must be hopelessly naive, but I thought that when we lost power it was because a tree fell across a line or something similar. I have only now been awoken to:

POWER SHEDDING

There is a roster of suburbs which will be blacked out on high demand days like today. Toorak and Hawthorn lost power today, so it’s not only the down and out suburbs which suffer.

Here’s another thing. I’m also assured that in SA it is publicised which areas are to be “load shedded” and when. Why not everywhere? I’m not personally bitter as my house had power all day, but the place I was working at lost power for 3 hours with very uncomfortable results.

So why not a little honesty. “Your suburb will lose power between 2pm and 5pm today. Buy some ice, keep your pets cool and go to the movies”.

I must say, that I am quite shocked, but not really surprised by this.

Thoughts?
It's possibly worse than you realise.

South Australia had to fire up its (Labor Government Purchased) emergency generators to stop Victoria from having massive blackouts.

That's right, our wind power, plus everything else that we've got, including very expensive stuff, to keep Victoria running.

We had some localised failures because power line fuses MELTED IN THE HEAT.

The National Energy market needs to go. Big generators turn off the power (oops our bad) to drive the spot prices up.
Old 25th January 2019, 07:32 PM   #678
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

He is 62 and will be 63 around the election time. So it is reasonable that he retire.
Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Scullion

More about his retirement: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-...l-clp/10747898
The MP I worked for, was in his seventies when he decided not to fight another election. Just sayin'
Old 25th January 2019, 09:50 PM   #679
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
The MP I worked for, was in his seventies when he decided not to fight another election. Just sayin'
People are different. Some love their jobs and hate their family. Others are the reverse. Then there are heaps of other things to consider. Like money.

On the other hand the writing is on the wall. The chances of the Liberals retaining power this year is remote. Some MPs and senators may not want to be part of the opposition, so combined with the above, decide to retire.
Old 25th January 2019, 10:04 PM   #680
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Not to mention the physical, emotional and financial cost of campaigning.

I only did it once, and I'm pretty sure I'll never do it again.

I can certainly understand people being unwilling to do it if there's no chance of success.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics