ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old Yesterday, 06:30 AM   #1841
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Over history, many democracies have fallen under the sway of authoritarian strongmen and ended up in very dark places.

I guess one could attempt to make the case that there’s something about the US that makes it exempt. “It can’t happen here”.

Not that I think it will, but I think it’s naive to deny even the possibility of it.
I really can't think of any long established ones, the nearest I can think of is Germany in the 1930s, but that was really a quite new democracy at the time.
Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM   #1842
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I really can't think of any long established ones, the nearest I can think of is Germany in the 1930s, but that was really a quite new democracy at the time.
Like I said, I don’t find a US descent into totalitarianism likely. Just possible.

As far as how naive the Red Dawn scenario is, I think your view might depend a lot on where you live. Much of rural America is armed to the teeth. And some are well trained, including ex-military. And some are already loosely organized into “militias”. These “ragtag” bands could be a real thorn in the side to any invading or oppressing force.
Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM   #1843
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

The US might not become a dictatorship, but it might fracture.
The most progressive, most productive, most urbanized regions which for decades have transferred their wealth to the more rural ones (admit it - Red States) might decide that staying in the Union isn't worth it if it means that religious nuts get to decide about guns, abortion and immigration.
Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM   #1844
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Completely meaningless.
Not if you're a Quaker, Bob.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM   #1845
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Junior likes to see poor people smile:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ba19d4bd861d
Note that when you go past the punk Trumpf liar in India you can find what the Guggenheim offered the White House for display instead of a requested painting. MUCH more appropriate!!!! Trump and herd can eat out of it!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM   #1846
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
If they ask for an email address and you post it, no doubt you are on some GOP donors list.
If they ask, make up a phony one!!!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM   #1847
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The US might not become a dictatorship, but it might fracture.
The most progressive, most productive, most urbanized regions which for decades have transferred their wealth to the more rural ones (admit it - Red States) might decide that staying in the Union isn't worth it if it means that religious nuts get to decide about guns, abortion and immigration.
I'm fine with that too, The nuts need to be quarantined - or, my preference, the problem with the Electoral College gets fixed so they have the influence they do deserve, but never again the one they think they deserve.

Wash this space!

Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM   #1848
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Lord Sugar has had two canvases made of cartoons depicting Piers Morgan and Donald Trump having their 'interview'
He is going to offer them to the Tata gallery.

If they don't wantthem he is going to have ten prints made of each and offer them for sale at £1000 each, the proceeds to the Great Ormond Street Childrens Hospital.

If he can get Piers to sign them then £2000 each

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; Yesterday at 09:00 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM   #1849
Tero
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
There is no material difference between someone in the military and someone not in it.
The shooter shooting in the military has no personal stake in an event. Other than he might be discharged and lose income if he does not fire.
Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM   #1850
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

It's possibly the greatest danger now for the media think they have to look fair and balanced instead of objective.
It doesn't matter whether Trump is the worst person ever, it is enough that he is the worst president ever.
What he has said and done so far must not be normalized.
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM   #1851
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Following the I-hear-you-cheat-sheet listening session, Mr. Trump had a deeply empathetic and profoundly emotional telephone chat with one of the Florida shooting victims.

Kidding!
Quote:
“He said he heard that I was a big fan of his, and then he said, ‘I’m a big fan of yours too.’ I’m pretty sure he made that up,” she said in an interview after being discharged from the hospital. “Talking to the president, I’ve never been so unimpressed by a person in my life. He didn’t make me feel better in the slightest.”

[Samantha] Fuentes, who was left with a piece of shrapnel lodged behind her right eye, said Mr. Trump had called the gunman a “sick puppy” and said “‘oh boy, oh boy, oh boy,’ like, seven times.”
”I hear you’re a big fan of mine.” If he were any more of a tone-deaf narcissist he’d collapse into a singularity.
Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM   #1852
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

They probably had to tell him that to get him to make the call.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM   #1853
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Lord Sugar has had two canvases made of cartoons depicting Piers Morgan and Donald Trump having their 'interview'

If they don't wantthem he is going to have ten prints made of each and offer them for sale at £1000 each, the proceeds to the Great Ormond Street Childrens Hospital.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=11763
he look on Toupee Fiasco's face in that one on the right still makes me laugh. He's so very confused...
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM   #1854
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
How do these jokers get these nominations?
Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM   #1855
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...reas-sins.html

Quote:
[...]a reporter asked the president about his North Korea policy.

“If the sanctions don’t work, we’ll have to go to Phase 2,” Trump replied. “Phase 2 may be a very rough thing. May be very, very unfortunate for the world.”
Well, that's a pleasant thought.
Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM   #1856
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Well, that's a pleasant thought.
Just the usual bluster. Remember when he said it was "the calm before the storm" re North Korea? That was about 5 months ago.
Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM   #1857
chrispy
Critical Thinker

That's just phase 2. Wait until 3 and 4.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM   #1858
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Who has expressed that idea?
Two people I know personally have expressed that on Facebook, and a bunch more that I don't know personally have expressed that on Facebook as well. As Facebook was the source of the meme I was commenting on, it's related.

Some people are unfortunately misunderstanding what the term 'Good Guy with a Gun Myth' is referring to. Others make the opposite problem that because the police show up with guns to stop the shooter, guns are all that is needed (ignoring all the training, protocols, cars, radios, helicopters, etc).
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM   #1859
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
That's just phase 2. Wait until 3 and 4.
Set phaser to dumb.
Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM   #1860
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Campaign work and/or contributions, usually. Don't know about this case.
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM   #1861
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I remember hearing this story months ago. I am surprised that it actually gained enough traction to make a difference.
Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM   #1862
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm a bit computer-handicapped this morning so can't post a link but apparently he also lied to the Senate about contributions made to Trump while he was under consideration for the nomination. Swampy!
Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM   #1863
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Coast Guard.

Quote:
The Trump administration and key Asian allies are preparing to expand interceptions of ships suspected of violating sanctions on North Korea, a plan that could include deploying U.S. Coast Guard forces to stop and search vessels in Asia-Pacific waters, senior U.S. officials said.
Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM   #1864
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm a bit computer-handicapped this morning so can't post a link but apparently he also lied to the Senate about contributions made to Trump while he was under consideration for the nomination. Swampy!
So he bought the job (or tried to)?
Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM   #1865
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Just the usual bluster. Remember when he said it was "the calm before the storm" re North Korea? That was about 5 months ago.
It's less whether or not he's prepared to do it that I'm worried about (although it's worth noting that it's been reported that he's had to be talked down from his more aggressive tendencies), more that he seemingly thinks nothing of doing something "very, very unfortunate" to the world.
Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM   #1866
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

So he bought the job (or tried to)?
A time-honored tradition, of course.
Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM   #1867
DetectedMotion
Student

How do they find these people? What is the criteria used for qualification guidelines? Evidently Trump only wants "yes" people without any experience, or whatever frivolous logic they base it on.
This is similar to the Brett Talley appointment for district court judgeship in Alabama. Talley was unanimously deemed “not qualified” by the American Bar Association. President Trump is full blown loony.

Last edited by DetectedMotion; Yesterday at 04:02 PM.
DetectedMotion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM   #1868
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DetectedMotion View Post
Evidently Trump only wants "yes" people, using whatever frivolous logic it is based on. This is just like the Brett Talley appointment for district court judgeship in Alabama: Talley was unanimously deemed “not qualified” by the American Bar Association. President Trump is full blown loony.
Trump only does the selecting - the Senate has to confirm the nominations. The question is "Why do they confirm these bags of ****?!"
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM   #1869
DetectedMotion
Student

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Trump only does the selecting - the Senate has to confirm the nominations. The question is "Why do they confirm these bags of ****?!"
That is a good question, because nominating these obviously unqualified candidates defies common sense! Perhaps the Republican Senate majority is just as loony as Trump; At the very least, common sense does not apply to the GOP anymore.
DetectedMotion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM   #1870
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump comments on the Dossier.

Quote:
The Democrat memo response on government surveillance abuses is a total political and legal BUST. Just confirms all of the terrible things that were done. SO ILLEGAL!
Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM   #1871
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=11763
So excellent and so true, though not as gross as the truth!!!!!

Wash this space!

Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM   #1872
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
he look on Toupee Fiasco's face in that one on the right still makes me laugh. He's so very confused...
Always.

Wash this space!

Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM   #1873
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Or another, he goes after the gunman and sees someone down the hall shooting a gun so he kills that shooter ... only to find out that it was another teacher trying to shoot someone else.

After the Aurora theater shooting, you saw people saying "If the people in the theater had been armed, they could have stopped him." Because multiple people discharging firearms in a darkened theater in extremely confusing and stressful circumstances would have worked out so well. Too many people think real life works like an action movie.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM   #1874
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Peña Nieto of Mexico has cancelled a planned trip to visit the White House, as reported by multiple sources. This after yet another rough phone call with His Orangeness earlier this week. Sigh. He refuses to back off Mexico paying for the wall despite Mexico repeatedly and unequivocally saying they won1
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM   #1875
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
He refuses to back off Mexico paying for the wall despite Mexico repeatedly and unequivocally saying they won1

I’m sure that’s a typo, but I cannot tell if Mexico said they “won’t” or if they “won”. Both kinda work.
Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM   #1876
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Did he pass the dementia test?
Yes, he definitely has it!!! And it is the world's best dementia!!!!

Wash this space!

Old Today, 01:30 AM   #1877
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...b07f12a993.jpg

I’m sure that’s a typo, but I cannot tell if Mexico said they “won’t” or if they “won”. Both kinda work.
It was and it does
Old Today, 08:33 AM   #1878
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

<delete>
Old Today, 08:51 AM   #1879
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

I find it funny that a five time draft dodger has the cheek to call anyone a coward.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics