ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Amanda Knox , Italy cases , Meredith Kercher , murder cases , Raffaele Sollecito

Reply
Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM   #1841
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,989
Abaddon, we have to remember that Vixen has many years of experience working with computer hard drives and computer forensics. Do not question her expertise.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM   #1842
Mr Fied
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 315
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Another "probably" that you pulled straight out of the old fundament, huh?

And kudos to you for having the balls to suppose that a shabby, run-down cottage only really fit for renting to low-income individuals and students would have been floored in material of a "non-slippery, soft and warm texture for the human foot"! What's the expression? Oh yeah: ROFLMAO.

In fact, the cottage was floored in a variety of hard tiling. It would have taken you....what....30 seconds to locate images of the flooring in the cottage. But no - you went with your self-serving "probably" about "comfy floors", because it supported your ludicrous assertion about Romanelli's laptop. No surprises there then.

And Romanelli's room itself was floored with tiles made from stone aggregate, bound in cement. As is clearly shown in the photo below (and yes Vixen, that's real stone aggregate, and not rubberised tiles that have been (bizarrely and unnecessarily) printed to look like aggregate set in cement. If you really want to know how I know that, I'll tell you. But I do know that.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1d7256eaca.jpg
LJ, have you got a clearer picture of the floor tiles?

It is hard to see them under that massive boulder that any normal human would have difficulty lifting on their own, let alone trying to throw.
Mr Fied is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM   #1843
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,989
Originally Posted by Mr Fied View Post
LJ, have you got a clearer picture of the floor tiles?

It is hard to see them under that massive boulder that any normal human would have difficulty lifting on their own, let alone trying to throw.


But the soft, rubbery, warm under the foot floor would have softened the bounce of that massive boulder.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM   #1844
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Moomin Valley
Posts: 11,784
Originally Posted by TruthCalls View Post
There are dozens of utilities available to selectively, permanently delete data off a hard drive. If I had photos or emails I didn't want seen I could easily remove them in a matter of a couple of minutes and they would be unrecoverable. I wouldn't need to wipe the entire drive, although these utilities can do that as well.

As previously mentioned, frying a hard drive's electronics without melting/burning the components is NOT easy to do with what most people have laying around the house.

No one said the police admitted it. What was said was the police never denied it and the courts accepted it was done by the police.

Raffaele's was NOT as a result of pulling the plug - not possible and no one here is saying it. The police fried all three in the course of trying to clone them. Filomena's was other. The IT guys also didn't fry Raffaele's second laptop. You can play games all you want but there is no evidence, nor is it even remotely possible, that Raffaele fried the drives of three computers. You truly have no knowledge of what it would take but make the claim nonetheless. It's like claiming I ruined the engine in your car by breaking a main bearing... it just isn't going to happen.

Sheeesh! Raff says this himself in his own book!
__________________
If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty. ~ Japanese Proverb
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM   #1845
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Moomin Valley
Posts: 11,784
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
OK, that is not how computers actually work.

In a professional capacity, I have had cause to recover critical data from wrecked drives. Yes it is possible to do so if one is willing to pay for it. No it is not horribly expensive. Recovering a hard drive would cost maybe Ä300.

And that is not slaving it to another PC, that is extracting the platters and mounting them on an appropriate test platform. The only way that would not work is by de-gausing the HDD and even then not guaranteed, or physical destruction. Take out the hard drive and take a hammer to it.

And as for Vixen's claim that it is not possible to toast a hard disk trivially, that is plainly rubbish. I have not only seen such, but done such over the course of 30+ years in IT.

Once again, we are in vixens tail gunner mobile antennae fiasco.
Er, Filomena's laptop was toast BEFORE it was in the hands of the forensic IT guys.

So by your reckoning, the IT guys somehow beamed radar vibes from a great distance to fry it, without even knowing of its existence.
__________________
If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty. ~ Japanese Proverb
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM   #1846
TruthCalls
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 848
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Sheeesh! Raff says this himself in his own book!
Really? Care to provide the quote? You must have a difference edition than mine because in mine he says "The police blamed the problem on an electrical surge, although they could not begin to account for how it happened three times in a row."

Forgetting for a moment that you've made something else up... Raffaele's computer expertise is in software, not hardware. Raffaele also claims the laptop was working fine until after the police seized it. So.. HOW would Raffaele know how the hard drive had suddenly died. Even if he had said it in his book it would have been pure speculation on his part, and not particularly well informed speculation at that since anyone with even a minor amount of experience in computer hardware knows removing power to a drive causes an immediate retraction by the heads, preventing damage to the platters, and has NO impact on the circuitry whatsoever.
TruthCalls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM   #1847
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Moomin Valley
Posts: 11,784
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Abaddon, we have to remember that Vixen has many years of experience working with computer hard drives and computer forensics. Do not question her expertise.
Please don't tell lies about me.
__________________
If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty. ~ Japanese Proverb
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM   #1848
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 17,326
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Abaddon, we have to remember that Vixen has many years of experience working with computer hard drives and computer forensics. Do not question her expertise.
And what of mine? Having stood in court on such matters as forensic computing as an expert witness, I suppose I should be launching an appeal against my own evidence in vixenworld.

Like that is going to happen.

It is easy to hold forth as though one is an expert on any given subject right up to the point when one encounters a subject matter expert, then one must face a court and a robust defense. At that point, one must be certain that one is on solid ground if one is to lay one's reputation on the line.

When it comes to anything to do with tech of any sort, I am fully aware that Vixen's arguments have no merit whatsoever. This, of course, leads me to question other arguments made and all of those arguments have been found wanting.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM   #1849
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 13,042
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Please don't tell lies about me.
What about the whopper you just told about what you claimed was in Raffaele's book, when it was not?

You have no shame. You just make stuff up.
__________________
In a thread titled "Who Killed Meredith Kercher?", the answer is obvious. Rudy Guede and no one else.
Bill Williams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM   #1850
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 17,326
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Er, Filomena's laptop was toast BEFORE it was in the hands of the forensic IT guys.

So by your reckoning, the IT guys somehow beamed radar vibes from a great distance to fry it, without even knowing of its existence.
Nope. Unbeknownst to you, it is entirely possible to fry a disk.

Wait, you might say, surely not three in a row? Well, yes, because of "equipment bias". Plenty of folks are so married to their "rig" that they cannot accept that their rig might be faulty.

Couple to that the simple fact that one can dismantle a HDD and recover data from the actual physical plattens and you have a tale of italian incompetence. Clearly, you were unaware that it is even possible to do any such thing, but because of magnetic latency in HDD tracks, it is even possible to retrieve a previous owners data.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:38 PM   #1851
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,989
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
4. Raff claims the police who searched his apartment damaged said laptop by pulling it out at the plug without logging off properly. Filomena and Knox damaged laptops are an amazing coincidence with each other. <fx twilight zone theme> . A classic case of Carl Jung's 'synchronicity', where everything conspired to frame the kids.

Which is it?
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Sheeesh! Raff says this himself in his own book!
No, he does NOT say the police damaged his laptop by pulling the cord out of the wall without logging off properly. This is what he wrote:

Quote:
Only belatedly did the police show an interest in my computer. I suggested they turn it off and close the keyboard before carting Amanda it off, but they didnít listen. They pulled the plug out of the wall socket and carried it away still open. Iím convinced to this day that the computer could have exonerated me completely, and probably Amanda too, if it had been handled properly. But almost all of that evidence would soon be destroyed.
Sollecito, Raffaele. Honor Bound: My Journey to Hell and Back with Amanda Knox (Kindle Locations 1023-1026). Gallery Books. Kindle Edition.

Notice that he is only describing what the police did when they confiscated it and clearly says the evidence would SOON be destroyed. Please try and get your information straight for once.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:41 PM   #1852
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,989
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
And what of mine? Having stood in court on such matters as forensic computing as an expert witness, I suppose I should be launching an appeal against my own evidence in vixenworld.

Like that is going to happen.

It is easy to hold forth as though one is an expert on any given subject right up to the point when one encounters a subject matter expert, then one must face a court and a robust defense. At that point, one must be certain that one is on solid ground if one is to lay one's reputation on the line.

When it comes to anything to do with tech of any sort, I am fully aware that Vixen's arguments have no merit whatsoever. This, of course, leads me to question other arguments made and all of those arguments have been found wanting.
I was being tongue in cheek. Vixen has no computer hardware expertise. She just acts as if she does. You know, like actors who pretend to be doctors in commercials by throwing on a white coat, wearing a stethoscope around their necks and sounding like they know something they really don't hoping to sell their product.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:44 PM   #1853
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,989
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Please don't tell lies about me.
Please stop constantly repeating falsehoods.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:48 AM   #1854
Welshman
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 582
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
It was brought up at the trial. The two IT forensics guys were both cross-examined by all counsel.

There is zero evidence, 'it was the police what dunnit'.
Why is that ten years after Meredith's murder Vixen is the only person claiming Raffaele destroyed his own computers. Raffaele destroying his own computers would be damming evidence. Why did the prosecution not use this damming evidence? Why is there no record of the police claiming the computers were already damaged when they received them? Why is the notion Raffaele destroyed his own computers not mentioned in a single motivation report? Why have no other PGP mentioned this supposedly damming evidence. Why is this not mentioned in the TJMK/PMF hate sites? Machiavelli never mentioned Raffaele destroying his own computers? Why doesn't the fake wiki make the claim Raffaele destroyed his computers?
Welshman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:00 AM   #1855
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 13,042
Originally Posted by Welshman View Post
Why is that ten years after Meredith's murder Vixen is the only person claiming Raffaele destroyed his own computers. Raffaele destroying his own computers would be damming evidence. Why did the prosecution not use this damming evidence? Why is there no record of the police claiming the computers were already damaged when they received them? Why is the notion Raffaele destroyed his own computers not mentioned in a single motivation report? Why have no other PGP mentioned this supposedly damming evidence. Why is this not mentioned in the TJMK/PMF hate sites? Machiavelli never mentioned Raffaele destroying his own computers? Why doesn't the fake wiki make the claim Raffaele destroyed his computers?
It's because one does not need to be constrained by truth or evidence when accusing others of murder.
__________________
In a thread titled "Who Killed Meredith Kercher?", the answer is obvious. Rudy Guede and no one else.
Bill Williams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:00 AM   #1856
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Moomin Valley
Posts: 11,784
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Nope. Unbeknownst to you, it is entirely possible to fry a disk.

Wait, you might say, surely not three in a row? Well, yes, because of "equipment bias". Plenty of folks are so married to their "rig" that they cannot accept that their rig might be faulty.

Couple to that the simple fact that one can dismantle a HDD and recover data from the actual physical plattens and you have a tale of italian incompetence. Clearly, you were unaware that it is even possible to do any such thing, but because of magnetic latency in HDD tracks, it is even possible to retrieve a previous owners data.
Yeah, you believe in 'amazing coincidences'. The laptop drives of Mez, Amanda and Raff are all fried, but the one for Lumumba is not and the one for Filomena is fried also, but before the IT guys got it.

The forensic IT guys have absolutely no reason to lie. If they were responsible, they would have said so.

So now you are a conspiracy theorist, which holds that 'even the IT forensic guys were under the thrall of the all-powerful evil Mignini who had it in for Amanda'.
__________________
If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty. ~ Japanese Proverb
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:02 AM   #1857
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Moomin Valley
Posts: 11,784
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I was being tongue in cheek. Vixen has no computer hardware expertise. She just acts as if she does. You know, like actors who pretend to be doctors in commercials by throwing on a white coat, wearing a stethoscope around their necks and sounding like they know something they really don't hoping to sell their product.
Please stop telling lies about me. I have never claimed to be a computer expert.
__________________
If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty. ~ Japanese Proverb
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:04 AM   #1858
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Moomin Valley
Posts: 11,784
Originally Posted by Welshman View Post
Why is that ten years after Meredith's murder Vixen is the only person claiming Raffaele destroyed his own computers. Raffaele destroying his own computers would be damming evidence. Why did the prosecution not use this damming evidence? Why is there no record of the police claiming the computers were already damaged when they received them? Why is the notion Raffaele destroyed his own computers not mentioned in a single motivation report? Why have no other PGP mentioned this supposedly damming evidence. Why is this not mentioned in the TJMK/PMF hate sites? Machiavelli never mentioned Raffaele destroying his own computers? Why doesn't the fake wiki make the claim Raffaele destroyed his computers?
Please read the court records. For example, Gregori or Trotta.

The fried laptops were discussed thoroughly and in detail. Why does Welshman have to resort to lies?

(Well we know why.)
__________________
If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty. ~ Japanese Proverb
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:08 AM   #1859
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Moomin Valley
Posts: 11,784
Originally Posted by Bill Williams View Post
It's because one does not need to be constrained by truth or evidence when accusing others of murder.
The fact finding trial did indeed find overwhelming evidence.

The trial is the important court.

The Appeal Court upheld the convictions.

The pair were let off due to backchanneling shenanigans. The Bruno-Marasca court makes it clear the pair were not 'found innocent', on the contrary, it sets out their proven presence at the murder scene, the faked burglary and states the annulment is due to 'insufficient evidence'.

It broke legal convention in that it failed to send the claim of 'flawed investigation' and 'press influence' back to the Appeal Court, which it what it should have done.
__________________
If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty. ~ Japanese Proverb
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:12 AM   #1860
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Moomin Valley
Posts: 11,784
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
No, he does NOT say the police damaged his laptop by pulling the cord out of the wall without logging off properly. This is what he wrote:



Sollecito, Raffaele. Honor Bound: My Journey to Hell and Back with Amanda Knox (Kindle Locations 1023-1026). Gallery Books. Kindle Edition.

Notice that he is only describing what the police did when they confiscated it and clearly says the evidence would SOON be destroyed. Please try and get your information straight for once.
Did you miss this bit?

They pulled the plug out of the wall socket and carried it away still open. Iím convinced to this day that the computer could have exonerated me completely, and probably Amanda too, if it had been handled properly.

He is precluding the finding of data deletion by blaming the cops who collected it.
__________________
If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty. ~ Japanese Proverb
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:31 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.