ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 14th July 2020, 09:44 AM   #281
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Yes, the reduction of Huawei's involvement being a sop to the US is exactly what I've heard. That said, I'm not too upset by that particular bit of news, given that their involvement had been flagged up as a security risk anyway.
Yes but so has Boris Johnson's.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2020, 10:10 AM   #282
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
- compulsory English in public.
You mean they will finally stamp out the welsh language? Maybe it will all be worth it.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2020, 10:23 AM   #283
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Well, Malcolm Tucker was based on Alistair Campbell, so...
Yes, that's true.

And since Alastair Campbell was such an uncontroversial figure, attracting no criticism for acting as if he called could order government ministers around, I see no reason for anyone to object to Dominic Cummings doing the same thing now.

Or something.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2020, 12:27 PM   #284
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Yes, that's true.

And since Alastair Campbell was such an uncontroversial figure, attracting no criticism for acting as if he called could order government ministers around, I see no reason for anyone to object to Dominic Cummings doing the same thing now.

Or something.
I think the major difference is that Campbell was a bastard, whereas Cummings is a creepy bastard.
Old 14th July 2020, 12:33 PM   #285
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Brexit border check plans announced as firms face 13bn in customs costs

The net contribution to.the EU in 2018 was 11bn.

We've turned an 11bn investment into a 13bn red tape bill.

https://mirror.co.uk/news/politics/b...plans-22348413
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2020, 01:07 PM   #286
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Brexit border check plans announced as firms face 13bn in customs costs

The net contribution to.the EU in 2018 was 11bn.

We've turned an 11bn investment into a 13bn red tape bill.

https://mirror.co.uk/news/politics/b...plans-22348413
I don't know, maybe it's just me but I'm starting to get this nagging suspicion that maybe this wasn't the absolute best idea anyone ever had.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:22 AM   #287
Tolls
Philosopher

But, but, but...SOVEREIGNTY!

Surely that's worth pissing billions away?!?
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:48 AM   #288
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Yes, that's true.

Or something.
My point was that it's been "normal" outside of The Think Of It for a while now.

And yes, we should object to it.
Old Yesterday, 01:28 AM   #289
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

My point was that it's been "normal" outside of The Think Of It for a while now.

And yes, we should object to it.
Yes, fair point. The Thick Of It was parody of the late '90s reality so the figure in the shadows who's also somehow in the limelight was a subject of mockery in the Blair era too.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM   #290
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The new "Get ready for Brexit" radio adverts are making me cringe.
They've tried to include accents from everywhere in Britain but they couldn't afford to actually get voice actors who can actually do those accents.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM   #291
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The new "Get ready for Brexit" radio adverts are making me cringe.
They've tried to include accents from everywhere in Britain but they couldn't afford to actually get voice actors who can actually do those accents.
Probably got "old Knobby Smith from school - he always did those funny 'up north' voices"!
Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM   #292
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Probably got "old Knobby Smith from school - he always did those funny 'up north' voices"!
And Plebs, he can do the working class oiks too! Terribly talented chap. Probably learned it listening to the servants...

Old Today, 01:46 AM   #293
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Welsh politicians are worried that Westminster will try a post-Brexit power grab.

Quote:
New post-Brexit trade rules must not be imposed on Wales without consent, the Welsh Government has warned.

UK government plans ask all four nations to accept rules and standards set by each other to ensure trade remains seamless across the UK.

The Welsh Government said it had not seen the plans and any system forced on Wales would be "deeply damaging".

Plaid Cymru called Whitehall's proposals a "power grab" and an undermining of devolution.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-53425094

To be honest, Brexit will be so damaging that this will only be a rounding error at worst.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:16 AM   #294
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Brexit Party in Wales already said they will get rid of the Assembly and have a First Minister answerable to MPs.

Not that they will get very far in any election.
Old Today, 03:13 AM   #295
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Brexit Party in Wales already said they will get rid of the Assembly and have a First Minister answerable to MPs.

Not that they will get very far in any election.

Yeah but to be fair they're the marketing dept for "Keep Farage In The Limelight Inc" not a political party.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics