ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM   #1441
Manger Douse
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
...someone from London.
In the harbour with it
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM   #1442
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Bad idea.

Remember the religiousites tried this with the "Prayer over the loudspeaker at football games" nonsense. "We'll put it up for a vote which prayer to say!" The USSC saw right through it as a way to impose the religion of the majority. if the majority of Bristol is racist, this would be a way to put up a racist statue.

Hopefully the people of Bristol will respond with a Boaty McBoatface type of answer.

Last edited by pgwenthold; Yesterday at 12:11 PM.
pgwenthold is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM   #1443
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Bad idea.

Remember the religiousites tried this with the "Prayer over the loudspeaker at football games" nonsense. "We'll put it up for a vote which prayer to say!" The USSC saw right through it as a way to impose the religion of the majority. if the majority of Bristol is racist, this would be a way to put up a racist statue.

Hopefully the people of Bristol will respond with a Boaty McBoatface type of answer.
I vote for Statue McStatueface, a person who's head is a smaller statue.

Statue McStatueface never owned any slave trading companies.
Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM   #1444
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Bad idea.

And....the alternative is?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM   #1445
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
And....the alternative is?
Don't bother.
Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM   #1446
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
In this thread? Who? No one. Not one person. No one in this thread has defended the existence of Confederate memorials. (Maybe IsThisTheLife....So, no two people.)

I think it's bizarre that this even keeps coming up. Keep spouting "Confederate memorials" and their history all day long.
I wasn't saying that anyone has been defending Confederate memorials. I was saying that it seemed to me that some people in the thread had forgotten when most Confederate memorials were erected and why.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe

Last edited by arthwollipot; Yesterday at 08:25 PM.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:47 PM   #1447
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

and ... it's gone.

Jen Reid: Bristol Black Lives Matter statue removed

Quote:
Mayor Marvin Rees said it was up to the people of Bristol to decide what would replace the Colston statue.

Bristol City Council tweeted to say it had removed the sculpture on Thursday morning and it would be held at its museum "for the artist to collect or donate to our collection".
Old Today, 12:54 AM   #1448
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Good decision by the council.
Old Today, 01:30 AM   #1449
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Would have been a flash point when the not-racist Football Lads Alliance turned up for a display of drunken formation patriotism
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:48 AM   #1450
Tolls
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Good decision by the council.
Quite.
You can't just have someone come along and plonk statues willy nilly about the place.

As a protest thing, it was a nice move by the artist, but I doubt they ever thought it would not get moved by the council.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:55 AM   #1451
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Bad idea.

I suspect that they will be given the choice of which statue of a pre-approved shortlist.
Old Today, 04:14 AM   #1452
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I suspect that they will be given the choice of which statue of a pre-approved shortlist.
Yep. Again it will be the "Great and meant to good" that will call the shots. Can't trust "us" you know!
Old Today, 04:44 AM   #1453
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Yep. Again it will be the "Great and meant to good" that will call the shots. Can't trust "us" you know!
I'd be surprised if the Jen Reid statue is not on the list (though I did see something suggesting it was only intended to be temporary, so I'm not sure if was built to last).
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:35 AM   #1454
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

It's funny how the wheels of government turn slowly, till you do something they don't like. Then its like action has no problem happening quickly.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:45 AM   #1455
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
It's funny how the wheels of government turn slowly, till you do something they don't like. Then its like action has no problem happening quickly.
Removing an "approved" statue which has been in-situ for over a century does require a proper process (though IMO it is shameful how badly Bristol City Council dragged its feet - getting rid of the Colston statue was a "thing" when I went up to Bristol Uni in the mid '80s).

OTOH removing something unapproved which has appeared overnight is less of an issue.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events