ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th March 2020, 11:10 PM   #121
Cain
Straussian

If Romney runs as an independent, I'll say it now: He'd be a goddamn hero. And that's why it's not going to happen.
Old 4th March 2020, 11:14 PM   #122
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
If Romney runs as an independent, I'll say it now: He'd be a goddamn hero. And that's why it's not going to happen.
Are you familiar with the White Horse prophecy?
Old 5th March 2020, 12:00 AM   #123
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I am now. Mormonism is goofy, but no one has ever complained about having Mormon neighbors. My neighbors are constantly listening to AC/DC (whether they like it or not).
Old 6th March 2020, 03:33 AM   #124
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The thing is for all the talk of "LOL that's such a strawman position" there are cases, not the norm perhaps but not weird fringe cases either, where we do exactly that.

"We think stem cells might represent the biggest move forward in health since the invention of vaccines."
"We are against stem cells because currently they are harvested from fetal tissue and we are against abortion."

The solution? Keep aborting the fetus but don't use the stem cells. Nobody is winning in that scenario by their own terms regardless of which side we think is the correct one.

Sure if you're the kind of guy who thinks we should tax Fedoras at 21% and you're talking to someone who thinks we should tax them at 22% and you'd rather tear the Union asunder then agree on 21.5%... yeah you're probably a douche knuckle.

But there is no, or less, compromise on base human rights and certain other disagreements.

About half a decade of UK politics has been consumed by a binary question and at least 48% (more recent polling suggest much more) are very unhappy. Especially since we had A were promised B and it was voted in by a slim margin and are now getting C (but that's a matter for the Non-US threads).

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 11:01 AM   #125
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

I find it plausible that Romney will run as an independent after the LDS convention.
FYI: Whenever you think Romney, prefix the name with "notoriously weenie". That way, you can pretty reliable predict what he will do.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 11:13 AM   #126
Suddenly
No Punting

I find it plausible that Romney will run as an independent after the LDS convention.
Not logistically plausible if he is trying to actually be competitive. Getting on 51 ballots is not easy and the deadline for North Carolina has already passed. A significant number of states have May deadlines.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 11:30 AM   #127
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
FYI: Whenever you think Romney, prefix the name with "notoriously weenie"...

That's what @realDonaldTrump does!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 02:07 PM   #128
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

No fan of the LDS, but the White Horse Prophecy has NEVER been an official LDS teaching,and in the past few years they have pretty consisntely denounced anybody who claims it is.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 02:37 PM   #129
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

White Horse Prophecy? More like LSD teaching, am I right?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 02:49 PM   #130
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
White Horse Prophecy? More like LSD teaching, am I right?
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 6th March 2020, 05:03 PM   #131
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
FYI: Whenever you think Romney, prefix the name with "notoriously weenie". That way, you can pretty reliable predict what he will do.
What did I just tell you?

"Romney to support Johnson subpoena in Burisma probe"
article
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics