ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Michael Bloomberg , presidential candidates

Old 10th March 2020, 06:35 AM   #721
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump had all of Congress behind him for two years - he had all the power to do something about corruption.
He didn't.
In fact, he wanted to make it legal again for US companies to bribe their way to success.
Old 10th March 2020, 06:49 AM   #722
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump had all of Congress behind him for two years - he had all the power to do something about corruption.
He didn't.
In fact, he wanted to make it legal again for US companies to bribe their way to success.
That's right, and the "technically legal, but corrupt" argument that Suddenly is using is just dumb. Biden's activities only wash out Trump's corruption in the eyes of Trumpanzees. No one else is falling for that BS.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 09:31 AM   #723
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
Quote:
And if Trump is going after Hunter Biden, how will pointing out Trump Jr., Kushner and Eric's various frauds make things worse for the Bidens? If anything, it would provide a distraction.
It is the distraction.

Every time they bring up the Trump kids, Trump brings up Hunter. That is the distraction.
I think you got the order of events wrong....

The Bloomberg representative stated they would go after the Trump spawn only if Hunter was attacked first.

In other words, its not:
Bloomberg: "Look how bad the Trump kids are"
Trump: "Yeah? Look at Hunter"

Instead its:
Trump: "Look at hunter"
Bloomberg: "Yeah? Your kids are even worse"

Quote:
Trump would 100% rather have that conversation than one about health care or a bunch of other topics
Yes he would. The point is, even if the Democrats and/or Bloomberg never talk about the Trump spawn, Trump will probably try to attack Hunter regardless. The question is how to respond.

Stay quiet, and it gives Trump the freedom to continue the attacks ad nauseum. Try to defend Hunter and it leaves the Democrats on the defensive. But if they respond by going after the Trump spawn, it will provide some balance.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 10:07 AM   #724
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I think you got the order of events wrong....

The Bloomberg representative stated they would go after the Trump spawn only if Hunter was attacked first.

In other words, its not:
Bloomberg: "Look how bad the Trump kids are"
Trump: "Yeah? Look at Hunter"

Instead its:
Trump: "Look at hunter"
Bloomberg: "Yeah? Your kids are even worse"
"He started it" doesn't make attacking your opponents family any less noxious. Once it gets going back and forth, only people who ran for hall monitor in grade school will give much of a crap as to who started what.
Quote:
Yes he would. The point is, even if the Democrats and/or Bloomberg never talk about the Trump spawn, Trump will probably try to attack Hunter regardless. The question is how to respond.

Stay quiet, and it gives Trump the freedom to continue the attacks ad nauseum. Try to defend Hunter and it leaves the Democrats on the defensive. But if they respond by going after the Trump spawn, it will provide some balance.
The question isn't "how to respond," as that is having the conversation that Trump wants to have and inherently losing. The better question is "how to not respond."

How best to communicate: "If you want to insult, insult me rather than my family, you coward."

and/or

"Unlike you, I have no plans to put my family in important governmental positions, so my son's business is his business and not an issue in this campaign"

just not

"Your kids are worse"
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 10:38 AM   #725
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
That's right, and the "technically legal, but corrupt" argument that Suddenly is using is just dumb. Biden's activities only wash out Trump's corruption in the eyes of Trumpanzees. No one else is falling for that BS.

It isn't like "you know who the real crooks are" is an attitude I'm making up. Trump has done a good job of creating the illusion that he's the one non-hypocritical crook in the game. Somehow people get caught up in the idea that reality is more meaningful than the illusion, which is naive. If that were true, there wouldn't be twenty different brands of vodka.

Which is why constantly bringing up corruption hasn't moved the needle, and a bunch of tone deaf Bloomberg ads aren't going to make any difference.

Maybe this attitude is regional. I don't know. One thing the rust belt working class and Trump have in common is nostalgic affinity for the mob. The more I think about that, the more Trump's cultural appeal makes sense.

I mean, people who see Michael Corleone as the good guy aren't going to be impressed by someone pointing out he is a crook, no?
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 11:05 AM   #726
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
It isn't like "you know who the real crooks are" is an attitude I'm making up.
No, it's one the Trumpanzees hold dear to. Most of the arguments and points made here are geared towards those who aren't in the Trump cult. More and more, Trump does things that only appeal to his cult and no one else. Nobody outside of the cult believes that what Biden did was remotely equivalent to what Trump does.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 07:02 AM   #727
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Money well spent

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics