ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th March 2020, 07:52 AM   #41
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Yes. And so here I am, asking "what were they thinking?!?"

She was probably thinking, "Man, if those stupid Democrats can steal elections, it'll be easy for a genius like me to steal one!", and then never thought about what she would actually need to do to both steal an election and avoid such obvious tampering that she was immediately caught. After all, doing crime is easy. It's doing crime well that's hard.

This is what happens when idiots start believing their own side's propaganda.
Old 10th March 2020, 08:07 AM   #42
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
She was probably thinking, "Man, if those stupid Democrats can steal elections, it'll be easy for a genius like me to steal one!", and then never thought about what she would actually need to do to both steal an election and avoid such obvious tampering that she was immediately caught. After all, doing crime is easy. It's doing crime well that's hard.

It could be a few other things as well. She could have seen that the GOP drive wasn't doing as well as she thought, and wanted to "help". She could have thought Trump would get her off if she got in trouble. She could have been nervous that her superiors thought she was underachieving (as has been mentioned). She could have just been a degenerate moron.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 08:27 AM   #43
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Bigoted stereotypes don't have a lot of explanatory power for me.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 10:08 AM   #44
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
It could be a few other things as well. She could have seen that the GOP drive wasn't doing as well as she thought, and wanted to "help". She could have thought Trump would get her off if she got in trouble. She could have been nervous that her superiors thought she was underachieving (as has been mentioned). She could have just been a degenerate moron.

Except that none of those explanations, except the last one, explain why she did all this so badly. Unless she has a fetish for being caught, how hard would it have been to forge registrations that could pass muster? We're not talking about mistakes that took some kind of in-depth investigation to uncover. They were blatantly wrong on their face, so wrong that even a cursory examination revealed the truth.

Bigoted stereotypes don't have a lot of explanatory power for me.

Except for the part where it's already obvious that she, personally, is that stupid.
Old 10th March 2020, 11:48 AM   #45
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Except for the part where it's already obvious that she, personally, is that stupid.
Especially that part. You're using a bigoted stereotype to explain her stupid behavior
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 01:31 PM   #46
plague311
Great minds think...

Especially that part. You're using a bigoted stereotype to explain her stupid behavior
Why is that not an explanation? He's not saying all people from Florida are stupid, he's saying this specific person is a stupid and, as such, did something stupid.

Maybe you don't know what stereotype means?

ETA:

If you're referring to:

Quote:
He referred to her specifically with regards to the entire post. I still don't see this as a 'bigoted stereotype' since it's generally accepted that believing propaganda isn't beneficial no matter whom it's from.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 10th March 2020 at 01:33 PM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 01:55 PM   #47
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Ms Hall is rocking the Tweaker look, methinks.
Oh dear god!

Is she voiced by Andy Serkis?

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 01:59 PM   #48
Steve
Philosopher

I'm not forgetting that at all. I'm curious what the rationalization might be. More than one person in this thread has tried rationalizing her actions, so it's definitely possible. Are any of those rationalizations being put forth as the likely motivation for her to do what she did? (Actually, yes.)

Yes. And so here I am, asking "what were they thinking?!?"
Why do you think anyone here could describe to you the thought processes of a complete stranger? Anyone who tries to answer is just guessing. There is only one person who could answer that question. Who do you suppose that is?
Old 13th March 2020, 01:22 AM   #49
Shadowdweller
Muse

What is the effect of this fraud?

But I don't see how it has any real electoral effect.
She falsified more than merely the party affiliation. Registration inconsistencies are one of the main reasons for ballots being thrown out. So doing something like this could be a form of potential voter suppression. Alternately, her organization might conceivably provide some benefit based on the number of Republicans registered - perhaps some social benefit if not monetary.

People have also been known to be motivated by random caprice or personal power trip on occasion...
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2020, 06:55 AM   #50
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

What is the effect of this fraud?

I assume it prevents these voters from voting in the Democratic primary in Florida. Whatever it is, it's unacceptable and I hope they prosecute her to the full extent of the law. I hope the Florida GOP denounces her and severs any association with her.

But I don't see how it has any real electoral effect.
from the article:

Quote:
Although the forms contained the correct names of voters, their dates of birth, Social Security numbers and other details were incorrect and automatically flagged by the county election database as unverifiable, he said.
Changes like this would prevent these people from voting in the general election because their personal information no longer matches what is recorded in the voter list. Person shows up to vote, their personal information doesn’t match their registration, their identity can’t be confirmed and their vote doesn’t get counted.

Not only that, the Republicans probably report it as an “attempted voter fraud” and claim it shows even more people need to have their right to vote removed.
Old 13th March 2020, 09:14 AM   #51
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shadowdweller View Post
Alternately, her organization might conceivably provide some benefit based on the number of Republicans registered - perhaps some social benefit if not monetary.
As I've been saying, it's almost certainly that. Likely she didn't even target any specific individuals, just made up names that happened to correspond to someone.
Old 13th March 2020, 09:36 AM   #52
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shadowdweller View Post
She falsified more than merely the party affiliation. Registration inconsistencies are one of the main reasons for ballots being thrown out. So doing something like this could be a form of potential voter suppression. Alternately, her organization might conceivably provide some benefit based on the number of Republicans registered - perhaps some social benefit if not monetary.

People have also been known to be motivated by random caprice or personal power trip on occasion...
Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
from the article:

Changes like this would prevent these people from voting in the general election because their personal information no longer matches what is recorded in the voter list. Person shows up to vote, their personal information doesn’t match their registration, their identity can’t be confirmed and their vote doesn’t get counted.

Not only that, the Republicans probably report it as an “attempted voter fraud” and claim it shows even more people need to have their right to vote removed.
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
As I've been saying, it's almost certainly that. Likely she didn't even target any specific individuals, just made up names that happened to correspond to someone.
Thanks!
Old 14th March 2020, 07:44 AM   #53
C_Felix
Master Poster

Kinda OT:

This reminded me of the person in NC who was arrested for going door to door collecting absentee ballots and possibly tampered with said ballots.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...96a_story.html

But, the GOP controlled legislature didn't worry or pass any laws about this, but they did manage to pass another draconian (and quite possibly racist) voter ID law.

I wonder if the Florida GOP is going to worry about this ladies actions.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics