ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags assault incidents , Chicago incidents , Jussie Smollett

Old 24th February 2020, 12:17 PM   #241
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
The Osindaros don't strike me as particularly loyal or sharp. I think they would have rolled on Jussie sooner or later, to bask in the 15 mins. This whole hoax could have flown If the players thought like proper villains. But they acted like...actors.
Well, if these were smart people they'd either not have done this or done it in a way that eluded detection.
Old 24th February 2020, 12:27 PM   #242
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
If you were his lawyer would you be going to trial at all?
Probably? I'd be going for a pre-trial settlement of some kind, if possible. But if it went to trial...

Everybody deserves a fair trial, even the guilty. Everybody is entitled to go free, if the state cuts corners on due process, or is unable to make their charges stick in court. Even the guilty. The way I see it, one of the main roles of the defense attorney is to ensure that his client, guilty or innocent, gets due process. I think it's a crucial part of the rule of law, that the state not be allowed to railroad a defendant just because they happen to be guilty.

So yeah. If Smollett can pay my fees, and he's not asking me to do anything illegal or unethical, I'd probably go to trial. Not to try to paint him as innocent when he's actually guilty, mind you. But to make sure the government puts in the effort and makes their case against him by the book. I figure, Smollett's paying me to hold the government accountable, and to exploit each and every mistake they make in prosecuting the case. I think that's an ethical approach to lawyering, and an ethical paycheck to cash.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 12:29 PM   #243
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Well, if these were smart people they'd either not have done this or done it in a way that eluded detection.
Well, they did stage the event out of view of the nearby security camera...
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 12:30 PM   #244
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Reading the couple of first pages of this thread (part 1) is quite interesting. The "doubters" sound much more reasonable than their opposition.
My contributions were solid. I even wrote a limerick. This thread was near peak big dog / 16.5 ...
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 12:40 PM   #245
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
So yeah. If Smollett can pay my fees, and he's not asking me to do anything illegal or unethical, I'd probably go to trial.
I agree with most of what you said, including this part that I quoted. But what do you think of his lawyer's insisting that the Osundairo brothers are guilty of the attack? I have to wonder if they are going to claim that at trial.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 12:43 PM   #246
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Probably? I'd be going for a pre-trial settlement of some kind, if possible. But if it went to trial...

Everybody deserves a fair trial, even the guilty. Everybody is entitled to go free, if the state cuts corners on due process, or is unable to make their charges stick in court. Even the guilty. The way I see it, one of the main roles of the defense attorney is to ensure that his client, guilty or innocent, gets due process. I think it's a crucial part of the rule of law, that the state not be allowed to railroad a defendant just because they happen to be guilty.

So yeah. If Smollett can pay my fees, and he's not asking me to do anything illegal or unethical, I'd probably go to trial. Not to try to paint him as innocent when he's actually guilty, mind you. But to make sure the government puts in the effort and makes their case against him by the book. I figure, Smollett's paying me to hold the government accountable, and to exploit each and every mistake they make in prosecuting the case. I think that's an ethical approach to lawyering, and an ethical paycheck to cash.
A-freaking-men

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 12:51 PM   #247
Drewbot
Philosopher

If I were his lawyer I'd certainly not put him in the witness box. But being an actor I bet he overrules advice and goes in anyway.
They can not put him on the witness stand.

He is under oath on the stand. And up until this point, he hasn't been able to tell the truth about anything. He would end up with a perjury charge.

Any prosecutor would make him look like a fool on the stand.

The problem with narcissists and actors, is they think they can beat the system with what they've been using their whole life, but the prosecutors usually can really corner them. See: Jodi Arias for many examples.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 12:57 PM   #248
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I agree with most of what you said, including this part that I quoted. But what do you think of his lawyer's insisting that the Osundairo brothers are guilty of the attack? I have to wonder if they are going to claim that at trial.
It would seem to be their only hope of an avenue to generating a nano-particle of reasonable doubt in a jury.
Old 24th February 2020, 12:58 PM   #249
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
They can not put him on the witness stand.
What else do they have? Especially to counter the testimony of the Osundairo brothers. I assume they'll be cooperating with the prosectuion. They still have an active defamation suit against Smollett's lawyers.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 12:59 PM   #250
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
It would seem to be their only hope of an avenue to generating a nano-particle of reasonable doubt in a jury.
But does that make it ethical? That's what my question is about.
Old 24th February 2020, 12:59 PM   #251
Drewbot
Philosopher

So they'd have to show the Osundairo brothers setting up the attack I'd assume.

Mr. Osundairo, who's credit card did you use to buy those supplies?

Mr. Osundairo, who paid for you to go to Africa shortly after the attack?

Mr. Osundairo, do you think someone you just attacked, would pay for you to go to Africa on a holiday?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 01:07 PM   #252
Mike!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Lawyer? Ethics? I'm sorry, I just watched the season premier of Better Call Saul last night, so I was having a hard time parsing the question, my fault.
Old 24th February 2020, 01:13 PM   #253
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's probably the kind of question that only a real lawyer can answer... But would you trust anything a real lawyer had to say?

I think it depends on the exact contours of the prosecution's case, and of this particular rebuttal.

My understanding is that conventional lawyer ethics holds that any technically correct legal gambit is ethical, even if it bears no relationship to the facts, or to their client's obvious guilt.

So if you can show a pattern of facts that supports the idea that the Osundarios did attack Smollett, and you can avoid the pattern of facts that clearly shows that the attack was a hoax, then you can build from this reasonable doubt in the minds of the jurors.

It doesn't necessarily have to be doubt that that Smollett is guilty. It can simply be doubt that the events happened exactly the way the government claims they happened.

If I can show you that the Osundarios really did attack Smollett, and the prosecution can't quite show you that the attack was planned and staged with Smollett's cooperation, then what verdict can you reasonably return?
Old 24th February 2020, 08:33 PM   #254
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Yes. I agree with Rumpole, never plead guilty!
Maybe he can plead not guilty by reason of being the gay Tupac.

Wollen owns the stage

Last edited by trustbutverify; 24th February 2020 at 08:37 PM.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2020, 05:22 AM   #255
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Maybe he can plead not guilty by reason of being the gay Tupac.
From what I've heard Tupac was the gay Tupac.
Old 25th February 2020, 07:27 PM   #256
trustbutverify
Philosopher

From what I've heard Tupac was the gay Tupac.
OK... the gayer Tupac.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 06:23 AM   #257
carlitos
"más divertido"

Mr. Smollett in his sunglasses appears in the TV ad for state's attorney Foxx' primary opponent, in a bit regarding special interests.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 03:12 PM   #258
Mike!

In semi related news, Kim Foxx has been reelected.
Old 18th March 2020, 03:22 PM   #259
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
In semi related news, Kim Foxx has been reelected.
She wasn't re-elected, she won the Dem primary... which means she almost certainly will be re-elected. Oh well.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 18th March 2020, 04:28 PM   #260
Mike!

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
She wasn't re-elected, she won the Dem primary... which means she almost certainly will be re-elected. Oh well.
You are correct, my misstatement. Thank you.
Old 19th March 2020, 09:13 AM   #261
carlitos
"más divertido"

The Tribune endorsed Donna More, who split the main opposition vote, with Conway and More totaling up to more or less the same % that Foxx received. Perennial losing candidate, ex-alderman Bob Fioretti got 5% from his church, friends and relatives, I guess. Thanks for nothing, idiots.

ETA - looking at the final final numbers, I stand corrected. Foxx did get 50%.
But maybe if they would have coalesced behind Conway sooner, they might have had a change.

Candidate% Vote
Kim Foxx50.2
Bill Conway31.4
Donna More13.5
Bob Fioretti5.0

Also, a republican named Patrick O'Brien won his primary handily in an election held on St. Patrick's Day.

Last edited by carlitos; 19th March 2020 at 09:20 AM.
Old 26th March 2020, 03:03 PM   #262
Mike!

Poor Jussie, he can't just catch a break...

https://madhousemagazine.com/jussie-...oughed-on-him/

Old 26th March 2020, 03:57 PM   #263
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Okay, that leads me, in my layman's opinion, to think that he must be mentally ill. No sane person could possibly make up a story that's that stupid in the context of his previous lie.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 04:15 PM   #264
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Did The Onion go out of business or something?
Old 26th March 2020, 04:19 PM   #265
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Oops, didn't notice it's a parody. Pretty funny, though.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 04:36 PM   #266
Athyrio
Graduate Poster

He’s found his place in the sun.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago...uarantine/amp/
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 04:39 PM   #267
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

"Rona"
Old 26th March 2020, 04:40 PM   #268
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
He’s found his place in the sun.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago...uarantine/amp/
"In an Instagram video posted Wednesday morning, the former “Empire” actor claims he is on day 421 of quarantine."

WTF?

Dodging the media spotlight for over a year while your tragicomic court case makes its way through the system is not the same thing as "quarantine".

And, as with Julian Assange, self-isolation is not the same as serving a court-ordered sentence. If you want to incarcerate yourself while you wait for the government to incarcerate you, that's fine with me, but it doesn't count towards time served.
Old 26th March 2020, 05:00 PM   #269
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

"Quarantine" might be a code word for cocaine.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events