ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , diseases

Old 26th March 2020, 02:17 PM   #201
Kings Full
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
The coronavirus deaths are pretty distinctive but just the huge increase over “normal” respiratory disease drives and confirms the numbers up in the same way. Morgues are being filled up by people who died from these symptoms at rates that have never been seen before. China detected the huge rise in deaths way before having specific tests.

But this why we need test kits. Why isn’t Trump using his power to massively drive their production and import?
What?

I watched live as Fauci explained several days ago that the problem wasn't with the number of test kits but with the specific reagents and or equipment required.

Some places have one but not the other.

The problem is determining which is which.

Do you just make this **** up?
I decided to take the train to work one day and as luck would have it I sat across from a stunningly beautiful young Indonesian girl. I kept saying to myself, please don't get an erection, please don't get an erection.... but she did!
Kings Full is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 02:19 PM   #202
Kings Full
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
You defend those doing nothing or, worse, undermining safety by pointing at those doing something?

The "federal government isn't even responsible for this" argument is a legitimacy abdication.

I'll tell you where that road ends. It ends with people concluding "it looks like we don't even need a federal government."
lol...

To presume that the federal government isn't doing 'anything' while excusing the incompetence of the states is as narrow minded as it comes.
I decided to take the train to work one day and as luck would have it I sat across from a stunningly beautiful young Indonesian girl. I kept saying to myself, please don't get an erection, please don't get an erection.... but she did!
Kings Full is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 02:21 PM   #203
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kings Full View Post
You're welcome to your own opinions, you're just not welcome to your own facts.

You want to blame the Trump administration for everything while ignoring the role the states are responsible for.

I've not seen any serious criticism of Cuomo or De Blasio... why is that?

Are you a Cuomo/DeBlasio apologist?

They have failed as much as Trump has.
Cuomo appears to have become a pretty good leader in this fashion. Are you buying into the crap that he didn’t purchase ventilators in 2015? De Blasio I haven’t looked into much.

But I am expecting the head of the USA to be the true leader, not the anti-leader. And I can accept people, even leaders falling short of perfection versus the top person in the government of the USA doing the opposite of what the medical advisors, and examples of other countries, establish must be done.
Giordano is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 02:22 PM   #204
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

At last, a feel good Corna VIrus story"

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/03/chr...lemHY0.twitter

Darwinism is action is a beautiful thing to see....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 02:24 PM   #205
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

What?

I watched live as Fauci explained several days ago that the problem wasn't with the number of test kits but with the specific reagents and or equipment required.

Some places have one but not the other.

The problem is determining which is which.

Do you just make this **** up?
You are misunderstanding it. The problem is obtaining the reagents and equipment so as to make the number of kits required. Same thing, just more specific.

And other countries have achieved just this.

PS: I work with this stuff all the time in my research; not making it up.

Last edited by Giordano; 26th March 2020 at 02:27 PM.
Giordano is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 02:24 PM   #206
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

But this why we need test kits. Why isn’t Trump using his power to massively drive their production and import?
To be fair, he is. The US is now doing a lot of tests. He got started too late, though. We're playing catch-up.

I don't know if we could be doing more on the testing front. I just don't have enough understanding of the production situation for that sort of testing.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 02:27 PM   #207
Kings Full
Critical Thinker

Cuomo appears to have become a pretty good leader in this fashion. Are you buying into the crap that he didn’t purchase ventilators in 2015? De Blasio I haven’t looked into much.

But I am expecting the head of the USA to be the true leader, not the anti-leader. And I can accept people, even leaders falling short of perfection versus the top person in the government of the USA doing the opposite of what the medical advisors, and examples of other countries, establish must be done.
And you are foolish to presume that all medical experts speak with the same tongue. Meaning there are honest differences of opinion.

Deny that!

I don't really care if you take issue with this directive or that directive. I take issue when you, and others, make 'blanket' accusations of total inadequacy by any government official. Especially when you limit those accusations to only the federal government, while completely ignoring the states.

Don't pretend that Cuomo was 'prepared' or is acting in any way better than Trump. He's not. They're both falling short. Mainly due to the fact that this is unprecedented in our lifetime. Try, for one second, to realize that.
Old 26th March 2020, 02:30 PM   #208
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Worldometer shows U.S. has the most cases.

This is added to our already existing "lead" in active cases and growth rate.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 02:32 PM   #209
Kings Full
Critical Thinker

You are misunderstanding it. The problem is obtaining the reagents and equipment so as to make the number of kits required. Same thing, just more specific.

And other countries have achieved just this.

PS: I work with this stuff all the time in my research; not making it up.
I know you work with this stuff. I respect your insight when it comes to the science.

I don't respect your political slant on the science, as it's clearly biased. Surely you recognize that.

I have a background in science too, though not this area. I can still grasp what is being said. Offer me science and not political spin. Then we can have a discussion.
Old 26th March 2020, 02:37 PM   #210
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Don't pretend that Cuomo was 'prepared' or is acting in any way better than Trump. He's not. They're both falling short.
Maybe you have a point, lets see:

What day did Cuomo issue his stay at home order?

What day did Trump issue his stay at home order?

Quote:
Mainly due to the fact that this is unprecedented in our lifetime. Try, for one second, to realize that.
If by unprecedented you mean totally predictable and largely believed to be right around the corner by those who study such things, then yes. Hell, even Dean ******* Koontz was using this as plot point years ago.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 02:38 PM   #211
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

You defend those doing nothing or, worse, undermining safety by pointing at those doing something?

The "federal government isn't even responsible for this" argument is a legitimacy abdication.

I'll tell you where that road ends. It ends with people concluding "it looks like we don't even need a federal government."
Respectfully, you are confused. That is where this road begins, not ends.

GOP campaign strategy: "The government is worthless, elect me and I'll prove it!"

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 02:39 PM   #212
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Unprecedented! Nothing more could have been done!

Here we go again with "other countries apparently don't exist."
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 02:44 PM   #213
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I know you work with this stuff. I respect your insight when it comes to the science.

I don't respect your political slant on the science, as it's clearly biased. Surely you recognize that.

I have a background in science too, though not this area. I can still grasp what is being said. Offer me science and not political spin. Then we can have a discussion.
I have. I’ve offered you graphs and specific technical information and data. The science is itself is not political spin no matter how much you speak to deny it. Anyone can find the actual data for themselves.

I would estimate >95% of epidemiologists and health care experts disagree with Trump’s policies. But it’s not just a theory. Look at what the countries that have gotten the epidemic under control have done versus those who have failed, and compare those to Trump’s policies.

It is the ultimate delusion to buy into what one egotistic and medically ignorant person and his personally chosen band of butt l**kers say versus practically every other expert.
Old 26th March 2020, 02:48 PM   #214
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I am increasingly doubting that we can have a conversation. Look at the numbers of deaths in the USA versus other countries and tell me we are doing it right versus them.
Old 26th March 2020, 02:57 PM   #215
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Respectfully, you are confused. That is where this road begins, not ends.

GOP campaign strategy: "The government is worthless, elect me and I'll prove it!"
I'd vote for that
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 03:00 PM   #216
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
It seems odd to compare all US states to a single country in the EU.

If you compare them as 'Republics', and adjust for the EU's larger population then the US has less than 50% of the cases the EU does...for now.

If the US was equal to Europe, we'd have over 175k cases today.

I think Northern Italy and the Tri State area around NYC could probably be compared, just on different timelines.
Is the USA a country - yes or no?
Old 26th March 2020, 03:06 PM   #217
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

More on those Australian skiers who were infected in Aspen, Colorado. A woman in the group returned to Australia, went to a party and infected at least six people.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...4eac.html?btis
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 03:07 PM   #218
Mader Levap
Muse

Now that USA has nice #1 place in number of infected, any bets on when you guys beat Italy in number of deaths too? No worries, this number will be insignificant too. After all, old proles are expendable.

Last edited by Mader Levap; 26th March 2020 at 03:21 PM.
Mader Levap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 03:15 PM   #219
chrispy
Muse

We have arrested about 700 a day for violating curfew, per Prensa
https://www.prensalibre.com/guatemal...n-las-dos-mil/
Not an insignifacant # in a country of 16 million
Old 26th March 2020, 03:19 PM   #220
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
To be fair, he is. The US is now doing a lot of tests. He got started too late, though. We're playing catch-up.

I don't know if we could be doing more on the testing front. I just don't have enough understanding of the production situation for that sort of testing.
Whatever we are doing needs to be greatly increased according to the numbers I’ve seen. As you know testing is crucial. The basic ingredients should not be too hard to ramp up. South Korea and China did it. I’ve actually made my own kits for my research in another area years ago. The problem is verification. But we have examples of verified kits designs from other parts of the world.
Old 26th March 2020, 03:20 PM   #221
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Is the USA a country - yes or no?
“Well, it depends in what your definition of “country” is”.

We’re in Clinton (Bill) territory here.
Old 26th March 2020, 03:24 PM   #222
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Not out of the question, but you'd have to explain the relatively low numbers coming from S. America where there is a very high hispanic population.

I'm not discounting the possibility of some genetic component, just that I'm not sure I see a correlation at this point.
The genes involved might be specific to new world autosomal groups, specifically the C5 mitochondrial genes. But not likely since those are Asian/Mongolian in origin. And there seems to be a load of Europeans being infected, so you can also disregard the Neanderthal side in the Old World. So if there is a genetic immunity, it's probably random. So more likely, the immunity is environmental.

They do know which receptors are used by some germs, but I don't know how they figured them out.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 03:29 PM   #223
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Worldometer shows U.S. has the most cases.

This is added to our already existing "lead" in active cases and growth rate.
Hey, Trump promised he would make America #1

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 03:35 PM   #224
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
He's pretty much made it #2, as well.
Old 26th March 2020, 03:41 PM   #225
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The number of coronavirus deaths in the UK has jumped by more than 100 in a day for the first time.

The death toll has risen from 475 to 578, health officials have confirmed, with 11,658 confirmed cases.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52056534
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 03:53 PM   #226
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

lol...

To presume that the federal government isn't doing 'anything' while excusing the incompetence of the states is as narrow minded as it comes.
What has the federal government done? How does that compare with what Cuomo has done? Who has more power and resources, a president or a governor?

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 03:59 PM   #227
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
What has the federal government done? ..
Besides a couple of $trillion + in relief and aid?
Old 26th March 2020, 04:00 PM   #228
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Besides a couple of $trillion + in relief and aid?
Trump's contribution was signing his name on others' work.

I won't disagree.
Old 26th March 2020, 04:08 PM   #229
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

As to the bolded, that's just not true. The USA is as much, if not more, a melting pot than S. America. In S. America the predominant ethnic influence is Spanish and Native American. Not true in the US. We have a mixture from all over the world.
I'm not so sure...

I really don't disagree with the genetic component. I'm just not seeing any strong correlation at this point.
Yeah, it certainly needs more data, and I imagine we'll have a lot more on South America over the next couple of weeks.

Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Well crap, all of us in Hawaii are some or a lot Portuguese. One more reason we go in the toaster of epidemiology I guess
Haha! I'm trying to get you doomed, one way or another.

Hawaii is sticking out big time against the other states, never mind other countries, and you had to have had early cases with the number of Chinese visitors. You should be right up the list behind Washington state, but it's just not there.

Darwinism is action is a beautiful thing to see....
Yeah, I like that one - 50% Darwin and 50% Karma.

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
More on those Australian skiers who were infected in Aspen, Colorado. A woman in the group returned to Australia, went to a party and infected at least six people.
Maybe they should read about the 16 yo girl who died in France.

Probably wouldn't matter.

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
We have arrested about 700 a day for violating curfew, per Prensa
https://www.prensalibre.com/guatemal...n-las-dos-mil/
Not an insignifacant # in a country of 16 million
That's excellent - your government is taking it seriously and actually enforcing the curfew.

In the highly developed nation of New Zealand, we have at least 10% of people flouting the curfew with no arrests so far.

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
What has the federal government done? How does that compare with what Cuomo has done? Who has more power and resources, a president or a governor?
PLEASE can we take the purely political points to one of the two politics & Covid threads?
Old 26th March 2020, 04:16 PM   #230
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I guess it's now the American Virus.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 04:31 PM   #231
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I guess it's now the American Virus.
It's just owned by US, it will always be Wuhan virus. Also I liked that a lot more. It used to be the system in the past, we still have Marburg, Ebola, Hanta, Zika .. it was nice, one learned about geography a bit. Suddenly it's not PC.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 04:38 PM   #232
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
It used to be the system in the past, we still have Marburg, Ebola, Hanta, Zika .. it was nice, one learned about geography a bit. Suddenly it's not PC.
I think it's funny that people used to include Spanish Flu in that list when making this complaint, but they had to stop when they were informed that the Spanish Flu originated in the United States.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 04:42 PM   #233
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Mod WarningThere are many posts, especially regarding the politics of the USA that are off topic. Normally I would close the thread and do a clean up, but that would prevent the on topic discussion for some time and given the seriousness of this topic and how time critical it can be I am only going to post this warning: drop your political point scoring posts and personal attacks, stick to the topic of this thread (look which section it is in for what is on topic or not). Anyone ignoring this warning and continues to post off topic is going to be suspended for a minimum of 24 hours and I'm withdrawing the right of appeal for any such suspensions
Posted By:Darat
Old 26th March 2020, 04:42 PM   #234
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
It's just owned by US, it will always be Wuhan virus. Also I liked that a lot more. It used to be the system in the past, we still have Marburg, Ebola, Hanta, Zika .. it was nice, one learned about geography a bit. Suddenly it's not PC.
The only person I hear using "China" or "Wuhan" virus these days is the US.

The rest of the world rejects such childish idiocy.
US push to include 'Wuhan virus' language in G7 joint statement fractures alliance.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 05:04 PM   #235
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Meanwhile, the "lockdown" in New Zealand is proving to be a complete joke, and the people flouting it will backfire on all of us, because it will only increase the length of the shutdown.

I went on my perfectly legal trip to the supermarket and passed two different lawnmowing contractors working. Add that to the fact that the harbour was so full of boats yesterday the police issued a general warning, and I can see our epidemic spanning double the time it would need to.
Old 26th March 2020, 05:07 PM   #236
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

Hawaii quadrupled confirmed cases in a week and now says we have some dead
Old 26th March 2020, 05:09 PM   #237
CORed
Philosopher

Not out of the question, but you'd have to explain the relatively low numbers coming from S. America where there is a very high hispanic population.

I'm not discounting the possibility of some genetic component, just that I'm not sure I see a correlation at this point.
South America's population is far from strictly Spanish ancestry. Most of the population there is of mixed (Spanish, Native American, African and other European nationalities).
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 05:11 PM   #238
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Governor of Mexico: Only the rich can get the Corona Virus. taking the lead from the President of Mexico.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/ameri...ntl/index.html

God, it like this idiot and the idiot in Brazil have a contest going as to can be the most ignorant.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th March 2020, 05:13 PM   #239
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

Is there a way to fine tune or type in values on the epidemic calculator or does someone know one you can do this on?

https://gabgoh.github.io/COVID/index.html
Old 26th March 2020, 05:23 PM   #240
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...4eac.html?btis
It should not have been up to her to place herself in isolation. The government should have ferried all international arrivals in Australia into quarantine for a fortnight. Though luck if some of them were rich or a front bench Government politician. If they had done that then Australia would not have had any cases except imported ones.

ETA. But then that would mean Australia's Government would be far stronger than any other government in the world. So hardly realistic.

Last edited by rjh01; 26th March 2020 at 05:25 PM.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology