ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , democratic party , presidential candidates

Closed Thread
Old 13th January 2020, 11:46 AM   #321
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 79,861
Booker lost my support when in an interview he was excellent at describing the problems but he couldn't seem to answer a single question about how he would address them.
__________________
Trump Lied, People Died What color hat should I order with that logo? I think red on black.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 11:57 AM   #322
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 24,499
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Booker lost my support when in an interview he was excellent at describing the problems but he couldn't seem to answer a single question about how he would address them.
I had that problem with Beto.

This is why I really like Warren. She has serious ideas on how we should address certain issues. Sometimes I think she is very wrong. But I have to give her credit for thinking about them.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 11:57 AM   #323
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 79,861
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don't buy your first line. I'm jot a big fan of Bloomberg or Steyer...I do like Steyer better than Bloomberg. I really wish that Buttigieg wasn't gay. Because if he wasn't, I feel he's the one Democrat who would crush Trump.

If I could select the one I would prefer the most to be POTUS, I'd choose Warren. Second, I'd pick Buttigieg or Klobuchar. But choosing the nominee is a different decision. I want the person who will win. And I definitely think Sanders would get crushed like a bug.
Top 10 Joe Biden Gaffes is a good place to start.

Above board or not, Hunter has had a number of 'fortunate son' jobs.

The hair kissing is creepy, it doesn't matter whether it was benign or not.

It's not just the words and gaffes, his age is glaring: "My generation in '68.." CBS News Video with examples. It's 11 minutes, just listen to the first 5 if you don't have time for the whole 11.
Quote:
Former Vice President Joe Biden is accusing reporters of not understanding his words on the campaign trail, after he asked voters to imagine what would have happened if Barack Obama was assassinated during the 2008 campaign. CBSN political reporter Caitlin Huey-Burns and Vice News Tonight correspondent Evan McMorris-Santoro spoke to CBSN's "Red & Blue" about Biden's standing in the race.
__________________
Trump Lied, People Died What color hat should I order with that logo? I think red on black.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 11:59 AM   #324
Venom
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 4,067
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'm afraid that Sanders will alienate the moderates or conservative Dems. I would also prefer a candidate who will pull along conservative Congressional districts with them.

What good is a wild eyed liberal President with a Republican House and Senate?
According to the polls, which you say you don't trust much, Sanders is first place in Iowa, a rather conservative state from my limited experience there. I think there is a message there.

What run of the mill crazy lib do you think conservatives will be convinced by? For the most part conservative voters already distrust most of the Democratic Party.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 12:07 PM   #325
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 24,499
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
According to the polls, which you say you don't trust much, Sanders is first place in Iowa, a rather conservative state from my limited experience there. I think there is a message there.

What run of the mill crazy lib do you think conservatives will be convinced by? For the most part conservative voters already distrust most of the Democratic Party.
He's in first place "among Democrats" in a broad field. And Iowa is not a very good representative state.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 12:24 PM   #326
Venom
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 4,067
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
He's in first place "among Democrats" in a broad field. And Iowa is not a very good representative state.
It's worth noting Sanders also does better against Trump than Biden or any other Democrat in hypothetical general election match-ups.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 12:29 PM   #327
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 24,499
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
It's worth noting Sanders also does better against Trump than Biden or any other Democrat in hypothetical general election match-ups.
What they look like now to voters who don't really know them is going to look very differently after a billion dollars is spent to make them look bad.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 12:30 PM   #328
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 15,133
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Quote:
I'm afraid that Sanders will alienate the moderates or conservative Dems. I would also prefer a candidate who will pull along conservative Congressional districts with them.

What good is a wild eyed liberal President with a Republican House and Senate?
According to the polls, which you say you don't trust much, Sanders is first place in Iowa, a rather conservative state from my limited experience there. I think there is a message there.
Its a primary.... which means a few things:

- The list of candidates is very fragmented, and thus its easy for any candidate to be near the top of the polls (even more so if they have some name recognition), even if they don't exactly have wide support.

- Support can be very volatile. While Sanders may lead in one poll, another recent poll shows Biden in front. See: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...-monmouth-poll

- Support in a primary does not necessarily translate to support in a national election.
Quote:
What run of the mill crazy lib do you think conservatives will be convinced by? For the most part conservative voters already distrust most of the Democratic Party.
True, the Democrats (all of them) seem to be largely demonized.

But election victories can hing on very small margins. (If Clinton had just a few thousand more votes in 3 states they she would be president). No democrat will convince the majority of Republicans to vote for them, but if they can influence a few thousand voters it may be a good thing.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 12:37 PM   #329
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,725
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Its a primary.... which means a few things:

- The list of candidates is very fragmented, and thus its easy for any candidate to be near the top of the polls (even more so if they have some name recognition), even if they don't exactly have wide support.

- Support can be very volatile. While Sanders may lead in one poll, another recent poll shows Biden in front. See: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...-monmouth-poll

- Support in a primary does not necessarily translate to support in a national election.

True, the Democrats (all of them) seem to be largely demonized.

But election victories can hing on very small margins. (If Clinton had just a few thousand more votes in 3 states they she would be president). No democrat will convince the majority of Republicans to vote for them, but if they can influence a few thousand voters it may be a good thing.
Failing that, they can convince a few thousand Republicans, and right-leaning voters, to tacitly accept a Democratic President by casting a third-party vote or not voting for POTUS at all.
There are a fair number of conservative voters who despise Trump. If we can offer up someone who doesn't ring the "socialist" bell so loud, many of them may just stay on the sidelines of the general election.
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 01:54 PM   #330
Venom
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 4,067
In New Hampshire, Sanders has captured quite a decent bit of the conservative and moderate vote.

I imagine this can be replicated elsewhere.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 01:57 PM   #331
Donal
Illuminator
 
Donal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,197
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The problem with ignoring the socialism label is it triggers a whole slew of voters to run in terror.

My brother who isn't particularly political told me years ago that "Obama is a socialist" and nothing I could say would make him change that view.
Ya, I hate to tell you, but "socialism" wasn't the problem there.

Quote:
And neither Warren nor Sanders have countered the threat the cost of Medicare for all is being cited as. They can be as right as rain but if the messaging fails then no one will know it.
So maybe, just maybe, instead of cowering from it, the DNC does something to control the messaging? Pretend they are a bunch of politically and media connected professionals with millions, if not billions, at their disposal?
Quote:
The (right-wing) Hill 2018: Poll: Majority of Americans say they would not vote for a 'socialist'


From StartPage Search, take your pick:

The attitude is changing, but not enough. It risks people holding their noses and voting for Trump.
But what happens when you ask about the specifics of policy? What does Medicare for All poll ? Student loan forgiveness? Tuition free public college? Marijuana decriminalization?

These are problems of branding and language. And, guess what, the same problems are going to follow what ever vanilla, inoffensive, corporate friendly Democrat gets the nod.

The problems isn't that the Democrats are socialists. The problem is they are gutless.
__________________
SuburbanNerd A blog for making tech make sense
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 02:02 PM   #332
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 24,499
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
In New Hampshire, Sanders has captured quite a decent bit of the conservative and moderate vote.

I imagine this can be replicated elsewhere.
What do you consider "quite a decent bit" in a lightly populated state like NH? 6 people?
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 02:42 PM   #333
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 15,133
Originally Posted by Donal View Post
So maybe, just maybe, instead of cowering from it, the DNC does something to control the messaging? Pretend they are a bunch of politically and media connected professionals with millions, if not billions, at their disposal?
Easy to say, maybe not so easy to do.

You're talking about getting through to millions of people who have extremely long-lasting beliefs. Not sure that even the most slick media campaign will change that overnight.
Quote:
Quote:
The (right-wing) Hill 2018: Poll: Majority of Americans say they would not vote for a 'socialist'
But what happens when you ask about the specifics of policy?
Yes, in many cases when you ask about policy specifics, people would be quite happy with a 'socialist' option (or, more appropriately, "social democrat"). Many voters just don't like calling it "socialist".

The question is, what do you do when the republicans scream "Socialist"... Do you say "yes I am"? Turn around and scream "fascist" back at them? Try to prevent a reasoned argument to the electorate (that is likely to fall on deaf ears)?
Quote:
What does Medicare for All poll ?
Rather complex to say... by "medicare for all" it depends on if people view it as a public option available to everyone, but allow people to keep private coverage (which is polling around 70%) or whether they view it as "everyone on medicare/no private insurance", i.e. the plan proposed by Sanders (which polls around 40%).

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ong-democrats/
Quote:
Student loan forgiveness? Tuition free public college?
Well, in one poll around 58% say that they would approve of free public college.

The problem is, when you ask this question in isolation, you probably get a different answer than if they asked "do you approve of free college, if it means a tax increase".

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/46...g-student-debt
Quote:
Marijuana decriminalization?
Again, not a simple, straight forward question.

In one poll, 84% want it legalized, but only half of those want it legal for any and all uses, while the other half want it legalized but only for medical purposes. If the proposal is "totally remove all marijuana restrictions" you are definitely on the side of the minority.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-amer...hould-be-legal
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 02:49 PM   #334
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 88,910
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Booker lost my support when in an interview he was excellent at describing the problems but he couldn't seem to answer a single question about how he would address them.
That's true of a LOT of candidates and politicians.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 02:55 PM   #335
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 23,712
Sadly unless like... at least of the 2 of the 4 of the following wind up being true come November:

A) Ginsburg holds out until then
B) They make gains in the Senate
C) They hold the House
D) There's a shift in broad public consciousness

And we wind up with a Democratic President, one that can identify the problem but do nothing about it might as well be the one we vote for because that's all they are going to be able to do.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 02:55 PM   #336
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 47,863
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
With Trump being the most recent example.


This. They'll decry Bloomberg as a Socialist every bit as much as they will Sanders. And then there'll be that ((())) thing for both of them. That'll be much more subtle.

We are being absolutely bombarded with Bloomberg ads, BTW. He must think my state has some importance now that the primary has been moved up.
They will attack every Dem as a socialist;problem is it will be easier to make it stick on some candiates then others.
And I am still convicned a Sanders nomination will pretty much seal a Trump reelection.
Too many people here seem to live in a bubble where most people they talk politics with are progressives, and they really don't get most voters are not.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 02:56 PM   #337
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 47,863
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
In New Hampshire, Sanders has captured quite a decent bit of the conservative and moderate vote.

I imagine this can be replicated elsewhere.
And your proof is?
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 02:57 PM   #338
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 23,712
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Too many people here seem to live in a bubble where most people they talk politics with are progressives, and they really don't get most voters are not.
If I could like somehow convert facts into solid matter, the one I would forge into a nail and hammer it into people's heads is that... only about 45% of Democrats even identify as liberal, much less progressive.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 03:10 PM   #339
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 79,861
Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Ya, I hate to tell you, but "socialism" wasn't the problem there.
You know Obama won that election, right?

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
The problems isn't that the Democrats are socialists. The problem is they are gutless.
I didn't say the Democrats were socialists.
__________________
Trump Lied, People Died What color hat should I order with that logo? I think red on black.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 13th January 2020 at 03:25 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 03:24 PM   #340
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 79,861
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That's true of a LOT of candidates and politicians.
And?
__________________
Trump Lied, People Died What color hat should I order with that logo? I think red on black.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 03:28 PM   #341
Venom
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 4,067
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Too many people here seem to live in a bubble where most people they talk politics with are progressives, and they really don't get most voters are not.
And again, not everyone who votes for a progressive would identify as such otherwise.

I predict in the coming months we'll repeat these talking points at each other again and again.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 03:33 PM   #342
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 88,910
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
If I could like somehow convert facts into solid matter, the one I would forge into a nail and hammer it into people's heads is that... only about 45% of Democrats even identify as liberal, much less progressive.
On the other hand a lot of conservatives would need to be clued in to the fact that rural Americans are a much smaller minority than they think.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 03:34 PM   #343
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 88,910
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
And?
And that was my entire point, really. Why single out one person if everybody checks the box? Perhaps there's something else?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 03:54 PM   #344
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 47,863
And I don't get the Warren/Sanders feud. If you look at the policies, there is not that much difference between them except Warren seems to think it will take longer to implement them then Sander does;Sanders want to do it all is a couple of years, Warren thinks it will take longer, and I side with Warren here. When you are making the kind of huge changes that are being talked about, going slow is not a bad idea.
But then, I think Sanders has become something of a personality cult with his supporters.
For the record I could see Warren winning in November because she does not come off quite as radical as Sanders does. Sanders just, I repeat, cannot or will not shake the impage of the 60's College radical. And I think however much that might appear to his base.it's a detriment to everybody else.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 03:56 PM   #345
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 45,864
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And I don't get the Warren/Sanders feud. If you look at the policies, there is not that much difference between them
That is precisely the reason for the feud. They're fighting for the same pool of supporters.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 04:26 PM   #346
Venom
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 4,067
Sanders has refrained from attacking or even harshly criticizing his opponents until recently.

I don't know if is strategic or if it's because his most zealous supporters finally got into his head. I think the close numbers in Iowa, New Hampshire and Nevada may be spurring his campaign to go on the attack.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 04:29 PM   #347
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 79,861
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
And that was my entire point, really. Why single out one person if everybody checks the box? Perhaps there's something else?
Umm, because Booker just dropped out and I was posting my reaction to why his campaign failed to take off.
__________________
Trump Lied, People Died What color hat should I order with that logo? I think red on black.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 04:46 PM   #348
Cabbage
Master Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,465
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The problem with ignoring the socialism label is it triggers a whole slew of voters to run in terror.

My brother who isn't particularly political told me years ago that "Obama is a socialist" and nothing I could say would make him change that view.

For obvious reasons, this does not support the position that the "socialist" label makes candidates unelectable.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 04:50 PM   #349
Venom
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 4,067
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
For obvious reasons, this does not support the position that the "socialist" label makes candidates unelectable.
People forget how progressive candidate Obama sounded.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 04:52 PM   #350
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 26,932
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And I don't get the Warren/Sanders feud. If you look at the policies, there is not that much difference between them except Warren seems to think it will take longer to implement them then Sander does;Sanders want to do it all is a couple of years, Warren thinks it will take longer, and I side with Warren here. When you are making the kind of huge changes that are being talked about, going slow is not a bad idea.
But then, I think Sanders has become something of a personality cult with his supporters.
For the record I could see Warren winning in November because she does not come off quite as radical as Sanders does. Sanders just, I repeat, cannot or will not shake the impage of the 60's College radical. And I think however much that might appear to his base.it's a detriment to everybody else.
Is there really a feud or is this a spun narrative?
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 04:56 PM   #351
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 26,932
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The problem with ignoring the socialism label is it triggers a whole slew of voters to run in terror.

My brother who isn't particularly political told me years ago that "Obama is a socialist" and nothing I could say would make him change that view.

And neither Warren nor Sanders have countered the threat the cost of Medicare for all is being cited as. They can be as right as rain but if the messaging fails then no one will know it.

.
But this shows the limit to painting candidates as socialist, no? After all, the slime machine worked overtime to portray Obama as an atheist, socialist, Muslim Kenyan trying to foist unbelievably ruinous healthcare plans on the US and the voters (with exceptions such as your brother) said “yes, please! Enslave is all your Islamic Atheist Commie Highness!”
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 05:00 PM   #352
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,535
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And I don't get the Warren/Sanders feud. If you look at the policies, there is not that much difference between them...
"The only people we hate worse than the Romans are the ******* Judean People's Front."--The People's Front of Judea.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 05:13 PM   #353
Venom
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 4,067
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Is there really a feud or is this a spun narrative?
If Sanders so much as criticizes a fellow progressive, it's a "feud", even though he calls Biden a friend.

It's been okay to attack Bernie Sanders for years now though.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 05:26 PM   #354
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 79,861
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
For obvious reasons, this does not support the position that the "socialist" label makes candidates unelectable.
Maybe because you think my single anecdote is all the evidence I have?

Same as the Clinton/Sanders primary, certain people who support Sanders get defensive when you bring up the issue that the US voters are not ready yet to support socialism and it's very easy to paint some candidates with that scary label.

I posted other links. Anyone found some articles on why this is NOT an issue?
__________________
Trump Lied, People Died What color hat should I order with that logo? I think red on black.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 05:29 PM   #355
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 24,499
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
If Sanders so much as criticizes a fellow progressive, it's a "feud", even though he calls Biden a friend.

It's been okay to attack Bernie Sanders for years now though.
Just so you know. I don't buy the "feud" nonsense. That's just the media looking for a headline. I do get concerned about liberals who take the all or nothing approach.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 05:30 PM   #356
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 79,861
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
But this shows the limit to painting candidates as socialist, no? After all, the slime machine worked overtime to portray Obama as an atheist, socialist, Muslim Kenyan trying to foist unbelievably ruinous healthcare plans on the US and the voters (with exceptions such as your brother) said “yes, please! Enslave is all your Islamic Atheist Commie Highness!”
But he wasn't any of those things. He was less vulnerable to the accusation.

Warren and Sanders with Medicare for all, extending free education through college, and free daycare are much more susceptible to the label.
__________________
Trump Lied, People Died What color hat should I order with that logo? I think red on black.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 05:32 PM   #357
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 88,910
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Umm, because Booker just dropped out and I was posting my reaction to why his campaign failed to take off.
Yeah but if that applies to everyone else as well, why would it be relevant?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 05:36 PM   #358
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,535
Warren met with Sanders in 2018 and told friends afterward that Sanders told her he didn't think a woman could win.

Quote:
Sanders responded that he did not believe a woman could win.
The description of that meeting is based on the accounts of four people: two people Warren spoke with directly soon after the encounter, and two people familiar with the meeting.
Sanders denies:

Quote:
"It is ludicrous to believe that at the same meeting where Elizabeth Warren told me she was going to run for president, I would tell her that a woman couldn't win," Sanders said. "It's sad that, three weeks before the Iowa caucus and a year after that private conversation, staff who weren't in the room are lying about what happened. What I did say that night was that Donald Trump is a sexist, a racist and a liar who would weaponize whatever he could. Do I believe a woman can win in 2020? Of course! After all, Hillary Clinton beat Donald Trump by 3 million votes in 2016."
Hard to believe that the people talking to CNN are doing so without Warren's approval.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 05:36 PM   #359
Cabbage
Master Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,465
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Maybe because you think my single anecdote is all the evidence I have?

That's the thing, though---It's not even evidence. You do know that Obama was elected, don't you?

Twice, in fact.

So you found someone who said he wouldn't vote for Obama. Big Deal. I can find people who say they would never vote for Trump; he won, too. In fact, given any candidate I'm confident you can find people who would never vote for that candidate. It's not unusual and shouldn't convince you that a given candidate would be hard pressed to win an election.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 05:50 PM   #360
Venom
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 4,067
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Just so you know. I don't buy the "feud" nonsense. That's just the media looking for a headline. I do get concerned about liberals who take the all or nothing approach.
understood
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:16 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.