ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th March 2020, 08:46 AM   #41
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
I've been giving it some thought.

If the goal is for the convention to at least approximate the will of the people, then there is a good chance that a candidate with a plurality (but not a majority) should NOT be the nominee.

Let's say, (removing names) that it breaks down like this:

Candidate A: 41% of delegates
Candidate B: 35% of delegates
Candidate C: 9% of delegates

Candidates who have dropped out: Remaining 15% of delegates

Even though candidate A has a clear plurality, the people who voted for candidate C and the dropped candidates likely break with a clear preference between A and B.

If the large majority who voted for C and dropped candidates favored Candidate B, then it WOULD be very much the will of the electorate that B becomes the nominee.

Something like ranked choice voting would make this much more clear (and eliminate some of the strategic voting that has marred this election). But the convention is the highly imperfect system we have to manage exactly this sort of preference issue.

I do fear that if Bernie is candidate A in this scenario and the DNC gives the nom to Biden, even if it is the will of the people, Bernie supporters will take their ball and go home.
The best option is for Warren Candidate C to drop out early enough in the race so we don't have to try and guess what her voters would have wanted as a second choice.

The primaries aren't set up in a way that makes it clear who people who voted for nonviable candidates would have preferred as a second choice. Any reallocating of delegates for reasons you detailed is going to be nearly impossible to distinguish from backroom dealing.
Old 4th March 2020, 08:48 AM   #42
Cabbage
Master Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I wonder if ranked choice voting would make things too clear. It seems like it's obvious solution, so the fact that it hasn't been implemented suggests to me that maybe I'm looking at the wrong problem. Maybe the party sees some benefit in abstracting the plain will of the party membership via brokering.

You vote for members of a party that routinely supports efforts of voter suppression and you are surprised an obvious solution like ranked choice voting isn't implemented???

Willful Ignorance.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 08:49 AM   #43
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

She'll probably be out today, Bloomberg already is. Gonna be creepy Uncle Joe.
Old 4th March 2020, 08:55 AM   #44
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

In an ideal world everyone would be able to go into a voting booth and cast as their first vote something that says basically: "This person right here is the person I think is the best person to put into this position. I am saying this based on my own personal morals, codes, and priorities and I saw this without factoing in real world factors" without to vote being counterproductive to those values. This is what everyone should be able to do as in their role as a voice in a Democracy.

Yes First Past the Post / Winner Talk All Voting system are fundemantally broken beacause they force "Good enough" to be the enemy of "Perfect" and vice versa and in these systems unified bad will always win to divided good.

So if you're 100% pro-Bleen voter and you're choices are between a popular 80% Bleen Candidate, an unpopular 100% pro-Bleen candidate, and a 100% anti-Bleen candidate you can't vote for the 100% pro-Bleen candidate because that just increases the chances of 100% anti-Bleen candidate getting the big seat.

And that's a messed up system.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 4th March 2020 at 08:58 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 08:56 AM   #45
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
You vote for members of a party that routinely supports efforts of voter suppression and you are surprised an obvious solution like ranked choice voting isn't implemented???
We're talking about the DNC having a brokered convention to choose their nominee. Feel free to speculate about the GOP's process in its own thread.

Unless you're referring to the DNC here?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 08:57 AM   #46
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The best option is for Warren Candidate C to drop out early enough in the race so we don't have to try and guess what her voters would have wanted as a second choice.

The primaries aren't set up in a way that makes it clear who people who voted for nonviable candidates would have preferred as a second choice. Any reallocating of delegates for reasons you detailed is going to be nearly impossible to distinguish from backroom dealing.
When "A" and "B" are at opposite ends of the spectrum, and so nearly evenly divided, a win for either of them is going to result in more harm than good. That is pretty basic negotiations.

Not having a "C" that is acceptable to everyone to act as a unifier is a terrible idea. Guaranteed to produce rancor that will continue to poison our chances right up until the general.
Old 4th March 2020, 09:02 AM   #47
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I wonder if ranked choice voting would make things too clear. It seems like it's obvious solution, so the fact that it hasn't been implemented suggests to me that maybe I'm looking at the wrong problem. Maybe the party sees some benefit in abstracting the plain will of the party membership via brokering.
RCV would seriously curtail the power of Parties - it might even make them obsolete.
Old 4th March 2020, 09:34 AM   #48
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
When "A" and "B" are at opposite ends of the spectrum, and so nearly evenly divided, a win for either of them is going to result in more harm than good. That is pretty basic negotiations.

Not having a "C" that is acceptable to everyone to act as a unifier is a terrible idea. Guaranteed to produce rancor that will continue to poison our chances right up until the general.

That's mental.

A wants to kill all purple people
B doesn't want to

What kind of new hell middle ground do you think C is going to come up with? Kill half the purple people?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 09:37 AM   #49
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
That's mental.

B doesn't want to

What kind of new hell middle ground do you think C is going to come up with? Kill half the purple people?
Well of course if you pick the most extreme examples...

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 09:39 AM   #50
Distracted1
Illuminator

That's mental.

B doesn't want to

When either side sees the other side as morally equivalent to a genocide, the need for a middle ground is especially apparent.
Old 4th March 2020, 09:39 AM   #51
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well of course if you pick the most extreme examples...
It serves to illustrate that the recent (and I thought fading) concept that, between two extreme views, there is a happy compromise available, most of the time, is utter, unmitigated ********.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 09:40 AM   #52
Belz...
Fiend God

It serves to illustrate that the recent (and I thought fading) concept that, between two extreme views, there is a happy compromise available, most of the time, is utter, unmitigated ********.
It depends what you mean by extreme, really. I didn't think Distracted was talking about genocide.

But for stuff like healthcare, tax cuts, education, and the like, you bet there can be middle grounds. Sometimes no one is happy, but they can live with it, and that's how societies function.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 09:40 AM   #53
Distracted1
Illuminator

The two ends of the self-selected Democratic Party are somehow representative of such dipoles?
Old 4th March 2020, 09:42 AM   #54
Distracted1
Illuminator

No, most of the time it allows society to function by being put into practice a million times a day.
Old 4th March 2020, 09:44 AM   #55
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

When either side sees the other side as morally equivalent to a genocide, the need for a middle ground is especially apparent.
What if there just isn't anybody who wants the middle ground? If 50% of the set wants A and 50% wants C it isn't necessarily true that compromising to B is the optimal solution. Splitting the set into two separate sets, one with A and one with C, is also a possibility. And if it makes more people happy then isn't that the optimal choice? Isn't a divorce sometimes a better solution than sticking in an unpleasant marriage?
Old 4th March 2020, 09:45 AM   #56
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
What if there just isn't anybody who wants the middle ground? If 50% of the set wants A and 50% wants C it isn't necessarily true that compromising to B is the optimal solution. Splitting the set into two separate sets, one with A and one with C, is also a possibility. And if it makes more people happy then isn't that the optimal choice? Isn't a divorce sometimes a better solution than sticking in an unpleasant marriage?
Are you suggesting that the optimal result would be breaking up the Party?

Whose interest would that serve?

Last edited by Distracted1; 4th March 2020 at 10:04 AM.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 09:49 AM   #57
3point14
Pi

It depends what you mean by extreme, really. I didn't think Distracted was talking about genocide.

But for stuff like healthcare, tax cuts, education, and the like, you bet there can be middle grounds. Sometimes no one is happy, but they can live with it, and that's how societies function.
Only sometimes. As a grand sweeping statement it's bollocks.

It works, a bit if one person thinks the tax rate should be 40% and someone else thinks it should be 35%, but as a grand sweeping statement - that the best option is the one in the middle, in most cases, it's just wrong.

Last edited by 3point14; 4th March 2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 4th March 2020, 09:54 AM   #58
Cabbage
Master Poster

We're talking about the DNC having a brokered convention to choose their nominee. Feel free to speculate about the GOP's process in its own thread.

Unless you're referring to the DNC here?

Sorry, I assumed you were speaking more generally.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 09:56 AM   #59
Belz...
Fiend God

Sure, but most sweeping statements are bollocks if you want to be pedantic. However I think we both understood what he meant.

Old 4th March 2020, 10:00 AM   #60
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It works, a bit if one person thinks the tax rate should be 40% and someone else thinks it should be 35%, but as a grand sweeping statement - that the best option is the one in the middle, in most cases, it's just wrong.
Each party comes to the table with a list of demands. Some of them can be met. Some of them can be met but won't. Some of them can't be met.

The best option, in most cases, is for each party to make some concessions and get some concessions. For some demands, this might mean sliding a value to an acceptable midpoint between extremes on a continuum. For other demands, it might mean forgoing them completely in exchange for getting something else completely. Etc. It's not always a sliding scale type thing, and it's usually not just one demand that's being negotiated.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 10:03 AM   #61
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Are you suggesting that the optimal result would be breaking up the Party?

Who's interest would that serve?
The population that doesn't want B. Whether A or C is victor at least 50% will be happy, as opposed to 0%.
Old 4th March 2020, 10:04 AM   #62
Belz...
Fiend God

The population that doesn't want B. Whether A or C is victor at least 50% will be happy, as opposed to 0%.
The usual goal of politics is not to make people happy, but to reach acceptable compromises. With this in mind you can go well beyond 50% in some cases.

By being inflexible you only serve one tribe.

Old 4th March 2020, 10:08 AM   #63
Distracted1
Illuminator

You are forgetting that, in this instance, both groups have a goal beyond A or B that is completely destroyed by making that %50 happy.
In fact, I should think the 50% would be decidedly un-happy as well with the failure of that goal.

So, no, splitting up the party is the least utilitarian outcome.
Old 4th March 2020, 10:13 AM   #64
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

You are forgetting that, in this instance, both groups have a goal beyond A or B that is completely destroyed by making that %50 happy.
In fact, I should think the 50% would be decidedly un-happy as well with the failure of that goal.

So, no, splitting up the party is the least utilitarian outcome.
So 100% of the population must be unhappy all of the time. It makes me wonder why anyone bothers at all.
Old 4th March 2020, 10:15 AM   #65
Belz...
Fiend God

So 100% of the population must be unhappy all of the time.
Are you ever actually happy with your government?

Presumably you've lived with humans before and know how this stuff works.

Old 4th March 2020, 10:16 AM   #66
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Sorry, I assumed you were speaking more generally.
More generally as in, the Democratic party is also "a party that routinely supports efforts of voter suppression"?
Old 4th March 2020, 10:20 AM   #67
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Are you ever actually happy with your government?

Presumably you've lived with humans before and know how this stuff works.
Ah, you mistake what is for what must be. The same arguments were made to support the monarchies when those were things. And god-kings before that. And probably shaman-chiefs before that.

Change is possible, improvement is possible. Aren't we better off now than a century ago? Why insist that conditions are immutable when we've got a proven track record of successful change?
Old 4th March 2020, 10:20 AM   #68
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The thing is for all the talk of "LOL that's such a strawman position" there are cases, not the norm perhaps but not weird fringe cases either, where we do exactly that.

"We think stem cells might represent the biggest move forward in health since the invention of vaccines."
"We are against stem cells because currently they are harvested from fetal tissue and we are against abortion."

The solution? Keep aborting the fetus but don't use the stem cells. Nobody is winning in that scenario by their own terms regardless of which side we think is the correct one.

Sure if you're the kind of guy who thinks we should tax Fedoras at 21% and you're talking to someone who thinks we should tax them at 22% and you'd rather tear the Union asunder then agree on 21.5%... yeah you're probably a douche knuckle.

But there is no, or less, compromise on base human rights and certain other disagreements.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 10:22 AM   #69
Belz...
Fiend God

Ah, you mistake what is for what must be. The same arguments were made to support the monarchies when those were things. And god-kings before that. And probably shaman-chiefs before that.

Change is possible, improvement is possible. Aren't we better off now than a century ago? Why insist that conditions are immutable when we've got a proven track record of successful change?
Who said anything about immutable? I don't think you understood my point, so I'll clarify:

Why would you prefer 50% of people happy on a few policies and 50% decidedly furious to 90% comfortable but not entirely happy about the lot of the policies? The latter is much more stable and functional. It has nothing to do with whether things can change. In fact, change is integral to finding new compromises.

Old 4th March 2020, 10:23 AM   #70
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Also "Everyone goes away unhappy" makes perfect sense if you assume "Spite" is becoming a major factor in politics which I think is... likely.
Old 4th March 2020, 10:28 AM   #71
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Who said anything about immutable? I don't think you understood my point, so I'll clarify:

Why would you prefer 50% of people happy on a few policies and 50% decidedly furious to 90% comfortable but not entirely happy about the lot of the policies? The latter is much more stable and functional. It has nothing to do with whether things can change. In fact, change is integral to finding new compromises.
Because I don't agree with the assumption that 90% will be comfortable in the space between the two poles.
Old 4th March 2020, 10:28 AM   #72
Cain
Straussian

Range voting is generally superior. The typical explanation not to deploy alternative voting systems is the fear they are "too complicated."
Old 4th March 2020, 10:31 AM   #73
Belz...
Fiend God

Because I don't agree with the assumption that 90% will be comfortable in the space between the two poles.
Again, I'm sure you're not an alien who's meeting humans for the first time, so you must be aware that people are generally meh-okay with the way things are, and that this is better than 50% being angry with the system all the time?

Old 4th March 2020, 10:32 AM   #74
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Range voting is generally superior. The typical explanation not to deploy alternative voting systems is the fear they are "too complicated."
Seeing how many voters voted yesterday for someone who dropped out of the race the day before it may well be the truth. The masses are simply too stupid for complex things.
Old 4th March 2020, 10:32 AM   #75
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Also "Everyone goes away unhappy" makes perfect sense if you assume "Spite" is becoming a major factor in politics which I think is... likely.
It is only children who can manage unhappiness when they are given in to less than 100%.

And Trump, of course.

The rest of us find value in compromise.
Old 4th March 2020, 10:33 AM   #76
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Again, I'm sure you're not an alien who's meeting humans for the first time, so you must be aware that people are generally meh-okay with the way things are, and that this is better than 50% being angry with the system all the time?
Most people favor either male or female sexual partners. Do you think that 90% of the population would be comfortable with an intersexed partner because it's a compromise partly incorporating what they actually want?
Old 4th March 2020, 10:35 AM   #77
Belz...
Fiend God

Most people favor either male or female sexual partners. Do you think that 90% of the population would be comfortable with an intersexed partner because it's a compromise partly incorporating what they actually want?
That doesn't even make sense. That's worlds away from what we're talking about.

You do understand that the 90% figure was just an example, right? Same as your 50%. You seem to be dodging my main point.

Old 4th March 2020, 10:36 AM   #78
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

That doesn't even make sense. That's worlds away from what we're talking about.

You do understand that the 90% figure was just an example, right? Same as your 50%. You seem to be dodging my main point.
I'm disagreeing with your premise. I don't think most people are happy with how things are, I don't think most people would be happier with a compromise.
Old 4th March 2020, 10:38 AM   #79
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay seriously raise your hand if "Some things people will compromise on because the represent a spectrum" and "Some they will not because they represent an absolute" is too complicated to understand.

People will compromise on somethings but not others. Does anyone disagree with that?
Old 4th March 2020, 10:38 AM   #80
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Okay seriously raise your hand if "Some things people will compromise on because the represent a spectrum" and "Some they will not because they represent an absolute" is too complicated to understand.

People will compromise on somethings but not others. Does anyone disagree with that?
Let's compromise and half-agree to fifty percent of that.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics