ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , political predictions , political speculation , prediction thread , vice presidential choices

Old 3rd March 2020, 10:27 AM   #1
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Who'll be the Dem's VP nominee?

Not going to do a poll because I probably don't know enough names to suggest. If you do, go for it.

First, I think it's a safe bet that they'll go for some diversity. With all the remaining viable candidates being old, that certainly means it'll be someone younger. Probably a minority and/or of the opposite sex as well. You wouldn't be likely to see Beto O'Rourke as Biden's running mate as they are both white male Catholics. But he might be Warren's, if he hadn't endorsed Biden.

Who else? Mayor Pete? Amy Klobuchar? Kamala Harris? Cory Booker? Like I said, I don't know enough options but am interested in hearing your thoughts.
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:29 AM   #2
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

Mitt Romney
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:29 AM   #3
Cavemonster
Philosopher

The cynical part of me thinks that Pete may have had a VP offer floated for dropping out before today. But as you say, an old white dude younger white dude ticket may not be a great move for this cycle.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:32 AM   #4
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Tammy: duckworth or Baldwin.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 3rd March 2020 at 10:33 AM.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:32 AM   #5
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
The cynical part of me thinks that Pete may have had a VP offer floated for dropping out before today. But as you say, an old white dude younger white dude ticket may not be a great move for this cycle.
But he's a younger white GAY dude! That might help with Dems, but I think it would ensure Trump's reelection, as unfortunate as that is.
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:35 AM   #6
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Tammy: duckworth or Baldwin.
Good suggestion on Duckworth. They'll go after her citizenship, of course.
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:36 AM   #7
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
It would be hilarious if it turns out Biden, Bloomberg, and Bernie each separately bribed Buttgieg to drop out in exchange for a promised VP position. Even funnier if none of them gets the nomination themselves...

There's a very rude joke going around in which Buttgieg asks whose male appendage he has to accommodate to get a VP slot, and the answer is Elizabeth Warren's, and Buttgieg goes home crying bitter tears of disappointment.
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:36 AM   #8
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Right now the 3 people still in the race, 4 if we just have to count Bloomberg, are all... there's no nice way to put this... goddamn old. The spring chicken of the group is 70. There's a fair to decent shot we're going to be looking at one of if not the oldest President come 2020.

So VP actually matters once you start getting past your mid-60s since the simple statistical odds of Trumps, Bidens, Sanders, Warrens, or Bloombergs hearts deciding "Screw this, I'm out" is not somee crazy outlier scenario. Hell at least half of that group have had major cardiac events already. Hell I'm surprised every day Trump doesn't keel over but he seems to be surviving on pure spite at this point and he has an unlimited supply of that.

Regardless the odds of seeing a President to VP shift of power due to "Sudden failure to continue to maintain a state of staying alive" is higher then average in the 2020-2024(8) timeframe.

So it's a little annoyed that we're, at least on the primary side of things, expected to back the horse before we know what the backup horse is gonna be. That's is a little messed up in my opinion. Who their running mate is should already be known if we're gonna be casting the die.

But it is what it is. Best guess none of the candidates are going to become running mates for the other candidates. We won't see another Sanders/Warren ticket. Slight Dark horse chance that Buttigeig gets pick up by some, but I think it's unlikely.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 3rd March 2020 at 10:39 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:43 AM   #9
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

It's going to depend a lot who the presidential nominee is. If we assume that only Biden, Bernie and Bloomberg have a chance here are my thoughts:

Biden: Klobuchar or Stacey Abrams. He's going to need a younger running mate, and probably a female. Abrams could help him with African-American turnout.

Bernie: He's going to be looking for a kindred spirit, more than looking for someone who might provide balance to the ticket. Due to his advanced age and medical issues, he has to consider the possibility that he might not be able to finish out one term, let alone two. So whomever he picks has to be someone he would feel comfortable handing the reins to. That's only going to be someone from the left wing of the party, so cross off Buttigieg, Klobuchar and a whole lot of other people. Warren? Ayanna Pressley?

Bloomberg: Unlikely to get there any more, but there were rumors he had approached Andrew Yang. Kamala Harris? Buttigieg?

Last edited by Brainster; 3rd March 2020 at 11:03 AM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:43 AM   #10
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Right now the 3 people still in the race, 4 if we just have to count Bloomberg,
5 if you count Tulsi Gabbard... who is still technically in the race, even though she seems to have missed out on the latest Democratic debates, and who's picture is more likely to show up on the back of a milk carton (with a "have you seen this missing person" message) than she is at any political function.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:47 AM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Williamson. I don't think the VP's bully pulpit gets enough recognition - or use. And what better way to use it for the next four years than as a goodwill embassy to the American public?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:54 AM   #12
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Whoever gets the nomination, I hope they pick Stacey Abrams.
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:58 AM   #13
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Was there a person called Julian Castro? I dimly recall that name.
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:06 AM   #14
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

For GOP-head-asplodin’ entertainment, why not Ivanka?
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:12 AM   #15
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Amy Berman Jackson

or

Stephanie Gregory Clifford, just for the VP debate.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 3rd March 2020 at 11:14 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:24 AM   #16
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Oprah Winfrey....

"You get a vote! And YOU get a vote!"

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:27 AM   #17
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Bernie: AOC.

Biden: Buttigieg. Not his first pick, but that was the deal.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:31 AM   #18
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post

Can't be AOC, she's too young. VP must be eligible for the presidency, and the age requirement for president is 35.
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:33 AM   #19
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post

AOC's constitutionally barred; you must be 35 or older and she will be only 31 on election day.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:34 AM   #20
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Can't be AOC, she's too young. VP must be eligible for the presidency, and the age requirement for president is 35.
Stacey Abrams, then. It'd really balance him out.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:47 AM   #21
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Maybe they can average the ages... He's 78 she's 30.. on average they're 54.

Seriously, I think AOC would be a huge mistake, even if she were old enough. Sanders himself is already a polarizing figure in the democratic party. AOC would contribute to that and make the problem worse. And there'd be no up-side.... Sanders already has the far-left young ideologue vote sewn up.

Plus, she's not exactly a very experienced politician.... not like she has a lot of contacts to draw on.

Of course, that doesn't mean that Sanders wouldn't have picked her anyways, since despite his recent polling success, he seems to be quite tone-deaf at times.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:48 AM   #22
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Was there a person called Julian Castro? I dimly recall that name.
Me too, so I looked him up. He was running for pres but dropped out in January, endorsing Warren. Probably in with a shot if she gets nominated.
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:50 AM   #23
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Stephanie Gregory Clifford, just for the VP debate.
That could get downright Stormy! I wonder if Pence could even be on the stage with her.
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:53 AM   #24
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I still hope it will be Bernie Sanders after he endorsed Tulsi Gabbard for presidency.

Realistically speaking, I couldn't care less.
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:34 PM   #25
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Oprah Winfrey....

"You get a vote! And YOU get a vote!"
Yeah you laught but Oprah running for President got discussed in a non-joking manner not all that long back.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:35 PM   #26
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And Bernie needs to throw a bone to the moderates in the Dems.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:36 PM   #27
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
5 if you count Tulsi Gabbard... who is still technically in the race, even though she seems to have missed out on the latest Democratic debates, and who's picture is more likely to show up on the back of a milk carton (with a "have you seen this missing person" message) than she is at any political function.
I haven't seen a single ad, she had hasn't been in a single debate, and she has a grand total of zero delegates.

She... she's running to the same degree I am.
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:37 PM   #28
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Yeah, he should bone them right in their ear.
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:37 PM   #29
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You mean those evil centrists?

They are both evil and don't exist and they need to stop sabatoging and spoiling Bernie while at the same time not existing to reach out to.
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:50 PM   #30
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I wonder if Biden would be expected to throw a bone to the progressives.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 01:03 PM   #31
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
If Biden and Warren have enough delegates combined to top 1,991 but no single candidate can do this by themselves, then yes.

That is, I would expect him to at least offer Warren the VP slot as part of the horsetrading process.

Personally, though, I'd almost rather he picked someone in the bloom of youth like Kamala Harris or Cory Booker just for the sake of ticket balancing.

Last edited by d4m10n; 3rd March 2020 at 01:05 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 01:11 PM   #32
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Keep in mind that Bernie is really old (79 on election day) and with his heart problems it seems quite possible that he will not even live out a first term. This means that he has to have somebody he's willing to hand the reins to. I just don't see him picking a moderate given those circumstances.
Old 3rd March 2020, 01:16 PM   #33
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Tammy Duckworth isn't eligible as she was born in Thailand.

Another vote for Stacey Abrams!
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 01:18 PM   #34
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Keep in mind that Bernie is really old (79 on election day) and with his heart problems it seems quite possible that he will not even live out a first term. This means that he has to have somebody he's willing to hand the reins to. I just don't see him picking a moderate given those circumstances.
Castro and Ortega both had difficulty handing over the reins of power.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 01:21 PM   #35
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
To an American parent. Ted Cruz was born in Canada to an American parent.

But that won't stop the Republicans from saying she's not a citizen. They'd probably claim she's been faking her war injuries as well.
Old 3rd March 2020, 01:25 PM   #36
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

I'm hoping for Amy K as VP. I could see her paired with most of the candidates that are now in front.
Old 3rd March 2020, 01:25 PM   #37
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

Another vote for Stacey Abrams!
It it not quite that simple.

For example, former Presidential Candidate John McCain was born in Panama and yet he was eligible to the the president.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 01:27 PM   #38
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
To an American parent. Ted Cruz was born in Canada to an American parent.

But that won't stop the Republicans from saying she's not a citizen. They'd probably claim she's been faking her war injuries as well.
I stand corrected re Duckworth.

Trump would probably make fun of her prosthetic legs and say he prefers heroes who weren't blown up.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 01:32 PM   #39
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Tulsi Gabbard might be in a grey area because people born in Somoa are not American Citizens, they are American Nationals which wouldn't be an issue exact that the distinction seems to be really, really ill-defined which leaves a lot of places for endless legal hairsplitting.
Old 3rd March 2020, 01:33 PM   #40
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Why would he ever need to do that?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics