ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , political predictions , political speculation , prediction thread , vice presidential choices

Old 3rd March 2020, 01:37 PM   #41
grunion
Philosopher

Cory Booker or Julian Castro.
“Of all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome.”
― Charles Mackay, 1841 - Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds
grunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 01:42 PM   #42
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Keep in mind that Bernie is really old (79 on election day) and with his heart problems it seems quite possible that he will not even live out a first term. This means that he has to have somebody he's willing to hand the reins to. I just don't see him picking a moderate given those circumstances.

Yeah, the other way around, Bernie picking Tulsi as VP, could be fun as well. "Just that you know nobody will murder me, there is my insurance".
Old 3rd March 2020, 02:01 PM   #43
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Why would he ever need to do that?
Eggsactly.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 02:04 PM   #44
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Tulsi Gabbard might be in a grey area because people born in Somoa are not American Citizens, they are American Nationals which wouldn't be an issue exact that the distinction seems to be really, really ill-defined which leaves a lot of places for endless legal hairsplitting.
It depends on whether you parents were Amereican Citizens or not, not the place of birth. If you were born to an American Citizen who was living overseas, in a foregin country, you are eligible for the Presidency.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 02:08 PM   #45
Donal
Illuminator

*sigh* Fine, I'll do it.
Old 3rd March 2020, 02:22 PM   #46
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

VP is tricky. I can't really recall anyone ever placing their vote based on who the VP was. However, I know people can be turned OFF by a VP. Palin certainly comes to mind.
Old 3rd March 2020, 02:58 PM   #47
d4m10n
Illuminator

Tulsi Gabbard might be in a grey area because people born in Somoa are not American Citizens, they are American Nationals which wouldn't be an issue exact that the distinction seems to be really, really ill-defined which leaves a lot of places for endless legal hairsplitting.
She was a citizen at birth, though.

(That said, I wouldn't roll the dice on her, given the current composition of SCOTUS.)
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 03:57 PM   #48
Galaxie
Muse

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Tammy: duckworth or Baldwin.
WI can't afford to lose Baldwin when we have so many Trump-kissers running around
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 07:04 PM   #49
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
WI can't afford to lose Baldwin when we have so many Trump-kissers running around
That's actually a good point. Whoever gets the nomination shouldn't pick ANY sitting US Senator as a running mate. Or put them in the cabinet, if he/she wins. We need them where they are.

Obama made that mistake.
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:04 PM   #50
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
It would be hilarious if it turns out Biden, Bloomberg, and Bernie each separately bribed Buttgieg to drop out in exchange for a promised VP position. Even funnier if none of them gets the nomination themselves...
Mayor Pete has never displayed the lack of character that a stunt like that would require. And how would he enforce the deal anyway? Look for the nominee to pick a woman who did not run for President.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:31 PM   #51
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
It depends on whether you parents were Amereican Citizens or not, not the place of birth. If you were born to an American Citizen who was living overseas, in a foregin country, you are eligible for the Presidency.
Of course, all of this is presumably, because I don't think the Supreme Court has ruled on the meaning of "natural-born citizen" in relation to the US presidential eligibility.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:33 PM   #52
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Booker.

/end thread

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 05:34 AM   #53
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Al Gore. He is younger than both of them.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 05:55 AM   #54
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Biden, Bernie, Buttigieg, Bloomberg, Beto, Booker.
Those names are all weirdly connected somehow. If (Elizabeth) Warren would suddenly start going by "Betty", she'd be a lock.
Old 4th March 2020, 06:35 AM   #55
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Those names are all weirdly connected somehow. If (Elizabeth) Warren would suddenly start going by "Betty", she'd be a lock.
She needs to run some ads thanking "The B Team" for getting us this far, but now its' time for the professionals to take over. Or something like that.
Old 4th March 2020, 06:47 AM   #56
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Five if you count Tulsi Gabbard... who is still technically in the race, even though she seems to have missed out on the latest Democratic debates, and who's picture is more likely to show up on the back of a milk carton (with a "have you seen this missing person" message) than she is at any political function.
From Gibbard's campaign website:
Quote:
"When we stand united, motivated by our love for each other..."
Latest Tweet:
Quote:
Elizabeth Warren is a "fake indigenous woman of color."
Hey it's tough love. Tulsi just wants Warren to be a better Warren.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 06:48 AM   #57
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
She needs to run some ads thanking "The B Team" for getting us this far, but now its' time for the professionals to take over. Or something like that.
How about "that bunch of bastards"?
Old 4th March 2020, 06:53 AM   #58
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Seriously, I think Tulsi Gabbard must have been advised, she could become the Trump of the Democratic Party if she'd take the kid gloves off and start speaking out. If she'd start 'telling it like it is,' rudely and crudely, she'd reap the same kind of ground swell of support Trump garnered from rank-and-file Republicans in 2016.

Hey she took her shot, I'll give her that. Anyone want to lay odds on how long it will be before she switches parties?
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 07:06 AM   #59
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I hadn't thought of it before, but considering how often politicians adopt nicknames -- Joe, Pete, Bernie, etc. -- I'm surprised she didn't become "Betty" when she first ran for office.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 08:21 AM   #60
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I think it's obvious that what the Founders intended was to say that the average age of POTUS and VPOTUS has to be 35.
To boost his chances Biden should pick the cutest baby he can find as running mate.
Old 4th March 2020, 08:33 AM   #61
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I think it's obvious that what the Founders intended was to say that the average age of POTUS and VPOTUS has to be 35.
To boost his chances Biden should pick the cutest baby he can find as running mate.
If he picks someone who won't be born until 2036 that'll bring their average age together down to a spry 75!
Old 5th March 2020, 05:39 AM   #62
Drewbot
Philosopher

It's Kamala Harris for Biden, I'm thinking Warren if Sanders gets it.

Stacey Abrams is too unlikeable, when she wouldn't admit she lost the election, she really turned off a lot of national potential.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 06:34 AM   #63
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I won't be 100% surprised if Trump, Biden, and Sanders all choose female running mates.

I'm not fully onboard with the "Trump is gonna dump Pence for Haley" theory, but it would be the most crazy thing Trump has done in the last 4 seconds. Sanders and Warren have run before and there doesn't seem to be any bad blood in their campaigns. Harris and Biden also just 'make sense' for som

Again none of this is for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 07:18 AM   #64
d4m10n
Illuminator

I won't be 100% surprised if Trump, Biden, and Sanders all choose female running mates.
I would be at least 99% surprised; only two of those guys will even need a running mate.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 07:22 AM   #65
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
I would be at least 99% surprised; only two of those guys will even need a running mate.
If Biden and Sanders are both still fighting for the nomination for a significant period of time after Super Tuesday, they'll have to pick VPs sooner or later. It's possible one of them drops out before that point, but not for certain.

The "Trump is gonna drop Pence" thing is getting traction. Don't know if I personally buy it myself.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 07:31 AM   #66
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Maybe Sanders and Biden will blow everyone's minds by choosing each other as their VP candidate.
Old 5th March 2020, 07:35 AM   #67
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Maybe Sanders and Biden will blow everyone's minds by choosing each other as their VP candidate.
But they won't tell us who the POTUS and who the VP is until we elect them...
Old 5th March 2020, 07:47 AM   #68
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

But they won't tell us who the POTUS and who the VP is until we elect them...
Shroedinger's presidency! They're each simultaneously president and vice president so long as they aren't observed! Then if someone sees them it collapses the probability and both whoosh out of existence, leaving President Warren standing there in quantum superposition! I knew she was smart, but I didn't realize she was such a genius as to manipulate causality itself to achieve her goals! That's well beyond even Time Lord stuff, she may be a demigod or an Gnostic Aeon! Has she ever been directly asked if she's an emanation from the Logos?
Old 5th March 2020, 09:01 AM   #69
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
True, usually presidential candidates do not pick their running mates until after they win the nomination.

But, its not unheard of to pick the running mate early. Ted Cruz picked Carly Fiorina as running mate in the middle of the primaries. (At that point he was running behind, and probably did so as a hail mary.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 09:13 AM   #70
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post

Stacey Abrams is too unlikeable, when she wouldn't admit she lost the election, she really turned off a lot of national potential.
Warren's too old. But she'll be in the Cabinet if Biden wins. AG or Treasury.
Old 5th March 2020, 12:31 PM   #71
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post

Whether she's not likeable is an opinion. I like her and so do many others. I also disagree that she "turned off a lot of national potential."

Her challenge to the integrity of the election has merit.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 02:24 PM   #72
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Of course, all of this is presumably, because I don't think the Supreme Court has ruled on the meaning of "natural-born citizen" in relation to the US presidential eligibility.
The laws on US Citizenship are quite clear;If one of your parents is a legal US Citizen, you are a natural born US Citizen regardless of where you were born.
The Natural BOrn kerfulfle is over somebody who is born in the US but whose citizens are NOT US Citizens. The COnsitutiion is vague on that point.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 02:26 PM   #73
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Seriously, I think Tulsi Gabbard must have been advised, she could become the Trump of the Democratic Party if she'd take the kid gloves off and start speaking out. If she'd start 'telling it like it is,' rudely and crudely, she'd reap the same kind of ground swell of support Trump garnered from rank-and-file Republicans in 2016.

Hey she took her shot, I'll give her that. Anyone want to lay odds on how long it will be before she switches parties?
I don't think the GOP wants her.....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 5th March 2020, 02:32 PM   #74
Galaxie
Muse

I would gladly vote for a ticket with Abrams as the VP. (Especially with Sanders' and Biden's ages.) How many voters will even remember that she challenged the 2018 election results? If anything, what will turn them off, sad to say, is the fact that she is a liberal black woman.
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 03:02 PM   #75
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I don't think the GOP wants her.....
It just feels like there's something going on. As Business Insider describes her:
Quote:
Rep. Tulsi Gabbard has spent much of the 2020 election cycle on Fox News bashing the Democratic party and in some cases defending President Donald Trump as she runs for the Democratic nomination for president. link
Either she is so far out in front of the rest of us that we fail to see the brilliance in her strategy or she's possibly suffering from PTSD.
Old 5th March 2020, 03:12 PM   #76
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
...Tulsi Gabbard...

I doubt it. While she has been critical of fellow democrats in the past, she :

- is in favor of federal funding for abortons
- Is currently in favor of LGBTQ rights
- Wants to implement universal health care
- Wants more gun control
- Wants added financial regulations

None of that is likely to earn her any friends in the republican party, regardless of how much of a stink she makes among the Democrats.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 04:00 PM   #77
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
I would gladly vote for a ticket with Abrams as the VP. (Especially with Sanders' and Biden's ages.) How many voters will even remember that she challenged the 2018 election results? If anything, what will turn them off, sad to say, is the fact that she is a liberal black woman.
I would gladly vote for a ticket with Mr. Ed as VP, as long as it wasn't Trump's ticket. But that doesn't apply to everyone.
Old 5th March 2020, 04:28 PM   #78
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

They would make a great and dynamic team, get this country moving again in the right direction. It may be a long shot but remember, they laughed when Donald Trump announced his candidacy. I like Ed's odds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg I'm Mr Ed.jpg (54.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 5th March 2020, 04:30 PM   #79
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Mr Ed could do well. After all, Trump has already proved a horse's ass can be elected.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 04:40 PM   #80
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

"A horse is a horse, of course, of course"

WIILLLLBBURR

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics