ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 7th March 2020, 06:49 PM   #121
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Do you think your wife finally realized that SHE is paying for the wall and not Mexico?
She got pretty quiet; she does that a lot when we talk politics. TBF to her, she comes from a god-fearing conservative family*; I was pretty much her first real, extended exposure to the other side of the political fence (whereas, growing up in MS, I'd never not been exposed to her side). I'd like to think that, over the years (20 now), some of that exposure has had an effect- when we do discuss Trump these days, she seems a little more thoughtful, there's no longer just the knee-jerk reflex to defend there used to be. When he was first running for the Repub nomination in 2016, she was like me in absolutely abhorring him on every level; like I said, it was the fact that he became the Repub's choice that made her decide he needed to be hers too. I'm hoping that, if Biden wins the Dem nomination, she will be able to switch to supporting him as a moderate choice that isn't Trump.**

*And, TBF to my wife's conservative family, they're mostly very decent people (one of her brothers is a religious nut who, when she lost her oldest daughter in a road accident in 2004, lectured her on her "weakness" in faith, because her mourning was an inability to accept the Lord's will. He and I don't talk). One of the weird things about living in a place like Mississippi, being in a tiny political minority surrounded by decent people that you can never agree with, is that you can also never see them as ogres just because of that difference.

**My opinion is that only Biden can beat Trump; I side ideologically more with Bernie, but I just don't think he can get enough moderate support to win. His ideas will have their time, Medicare For All will be a reality at some point in the future; right now, the priority must be beating Trump. If you think he's been insufferably bad in his first term, just imagine how he'll be after being empowered by the impeachment acquittal and then winning re-election. And RBG isn't going to live forever; Trump putting another Kavanaugh on the SC will have repercussions that last long enough to affect anything a future Bernie might be able to get done- I can easily imagine another Trump appointee voting along with the others in a majority to negate any progressive gains in health care, civil rights, etc.

Quote:
This story that Trump made up about Mexico indirectly paying for the wall is just another one of his lies he's telling to cover the truth: the American taxpayer is paying for it. It's as silly as his lie that tariffs are bringing in millions to the country.
It's a silly and easily-exposed lie; but it's a lie that people who want to believe just won't examine for any truth value beyond what serves their ideological purpose. It's like John Goodman's character says at the end of Red State- "People just do the strangest things when they believe they're entitled. But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe." (Also a family resemblance to George Costanza's "remember, Jerry- it's not a lie if you believe it.")

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 07:01 PM   #122
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
You explain CINCPAC, which was wrong, but don't say what CPAC is?
CPAC is "*****, Pricks and **********s."
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 08:35 PM   #123
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
She got pretty quiet; she does that a lot when we talk politics. TBF to her, she comes from a god-fearing conservative family*; I was pretty much her first real, extended exposure to the other side of the political fence (whereas, growing up in MS, I'd never not been exposed to her side). I'd like to think that, over the years (20 now), some of that exposure has had an effect- when we do discuss Trump these days, she seems a little more thoughtful, there's no longer just the knee-jerk reflex to defend there used to be. When he was first running for the Repub nomination in 2016, she was like me in absolutely abhorring him on every level; like I said, it was the fact that he became the Repub's choice that made her decide he needed to be hers too. I'm hoping that, if Biden wins the Dem nomination, she will be able to switch to supporting him as a moderate choice that isn't Trump.**

*And, TBF to my wife's conservative family, they're mostly very decent people (one of her brothers is a religious nut who, when she lost her oldest daughter in a road accident in 2004, lectured her on her "weakness" in faith, because her mourning was an inability to accept the Lord's will. He and I don't talk). One of the weird things about living in a place like Mississippi, being in a tiny political minority surrounded by decent people that you can never agree with, is that you can also never see them as ogres just because of that difference.

**My opinion is that only Biden can beat Trump; I side ideologically more with Bernie, but I just don't think he can get enough moderate support to win. His ideas will have their time, Medicare For All will be a reality at some point in the future; right now, the priority must be beating Trump. If you think he's been insufferably bad in his first term, just imagine how he'll be after being empowered by the impeachment acquittal and then winning re-election. And RBG isn't going to live forever; Trump putting another Kavanaugh on the SC will have repercussions that last long enough to affect anything a future Bernie might be able to get done- I can easily imagine another Trump appointee voting along with the others in a majority to negate any progressive gains in health care, civil rights, etc.

It's a silly and easily-exposed lie; but it's a lie that people who want to believe just won't examine for any truth value beyond what serves their ideological purpose. It's like John Goodman's character says at the end of Red State- "People just do the strangest things when they believe they're entitled. But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe." (Also a family resemblance to George Costanza's "remember, Jerry- it's not a lie if you believe it.")
Thank you for that well thought out post. I enjoyed reading it immensely and I agree with your thoughts, especially the highlighted parts.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 11:17 PM   #124
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think 95% of the people who post in this Political section know what CPAC is.
95% of the Americans probably do. I had to look it up.

I'm guessing it's the Conservative Political Activists Conference, as the other possibilities on wiki's disambiguation list look relatively harmless. Unless you have something against anime fans or athletes.
Old 7th March 2020, 11:33 PM   #125
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/07/opini...ith/index.html

Please, oh please let the Trump spawn called Ivanka run for president. We all know one of Trump's nits who grew into lice would. It would be so wonderful to savor her destruction as a human being. Her nickname in the administration is the "mother of all bad ideas". Think of the leaks from "former Trump administration sources" who have been waiting in the tall grass for the whore. The deliciousness of her father living to see his daughter serving as a human sacrifice on the alter of Political Catharsis is almost irresistible.
Old 8th March 2020, 12:25 AM   #126
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Ivanka for VP - 2020.

Should Trump 2020 signs around normally read Trump - Pence?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 01:03 AM   #127
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Ivanka for VP - 2020.

Should Trump 2020 signs around normally read Trump - Pence?
It seems clear that Pence got Covid-19 as a must fail mission, allowing Trump to dump him in favor of someone else.
Old 8th March 2020, 03:09 AM   #128
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
95% of the Americans probably do. I had to look it up.

I'm guessing it's the Conservative Political Activists Conference, as the other possibilities on wiki's disambiguation list look relatively harmless. Unless you have something against anime fans or athletes.
Pretty much. They're the people who, for example, in response to the Green New Deal, decided to threaten Democrats en masse because the Green New Deal meant that Democrats wanted to take away and kill all the cows, according to them. Trump, of course, is still spouting that lie.

Yeah... the "conservative" part may as well be treated as a brazen lie by now.

In other news, looks like some people have looked a bit more into the current head of the CDC. What did they find? That superficially, he seems okay. Dig a little deeper, though, and you get stuff like...

Quote:
Redfield's early engagement with the AIDS epidemic in the US in the 1980s and 90s was controversial. As an Army major at Walter Reed Medical Institute, he designed policies for controlling the disease within the US military that involved placing infected personnel in quarantine and investigating their pasts to identify and track possible sexual partners. Soldiers were routinely discharged and left to die of AIDS, humiliated and jobless, often abandoned by their families.
In the 1980s Redfield worked closely with W. Shepherd Smith, Jr. and his Christian organization, Americans for a Sound AIDS/HIV Policy, or ASAP. The group maintained that AIDS was "God's judgment" against homosexuals, spread in an America weakened by single-parent households and loss of family values.
Redfield wrote the introduction to a 1990 book, "Christians in the Age of AIDS," co-written by Smith, in which he denounced distribution of sterile needles to drug users and condoms to sexually active adults, and described anti-discrimination programs as the efforts of "false prophets."
In the early 1990's, ASAP and Redfield also backed H.R. 2788, a House bill sponsored by deeply conservative Rep. William Dannemeyer (R-California). It would have subjected people with HIV to testing, loss of professional licenses and would have effectively quarantined them. (The bill died in Congress.) In the 2000s, Redfield was a top advocate for the so-called "ABCs of AIDS" in Africa, pressing to prevent HIV infection through sexual abstinence, monogamy and the use of condoms only as a last resort.
Yeah, he's quite a piece of **** and has no experience running anything like the CDC. I wonder how many people died entirely avoidable and horrible deaths because of him. And how many more will, especially under the present circumstances.

Related to the CDC -

White House overruled CDC on recommendation that seniors avoid flying

Yeah... it's bad when we pretty much can't trust the government because of what looks to be a guy lusting after the title of Tangerine Idi Amin.

Next up, well, when one can accurately write this sentence -

Quote:
A rabid anti-choicer and vanity press publisher has entered the political fray just weeks after being pardoned by Donald Trump for her role in a car theft ring.
Something is probably very, very wrong in the picture.

Last edited by Aridas; 8th March 2020 at 03:14 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 03:18 AM   #129
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Anyone else wonder if Trump refuses to handle appropriately handle the coronoa virus situation because he's a germaphobe? That he is simply in denial because the idea of a virus pandemic is too scary to him?
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 05:47 AM   #130
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Anyone else wonder if Trump refuses to handle appropriately handle the coronoa virus situation because he's a germaphobe? That he is simply in denial because the idea of a virus pandemic is too scary to him?
That wouldn't be the normal reaction of a germaphobe.
Old 8th March 2020, 06:40 AM   #131
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Just saw the US Surgeon General on TV, looks to be a rather fit guy in his 30s. When he said "The President is healthier than I am" I immediately questioned his credibility on everything else he talked about.
Old 8th March 2020, 08:26 AM   #132
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

His name is Jerome Adams, he's 45, and his specialty is anesthesiology, so I'm sure he's an expert on virology.
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 08:53 AM   #133
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted
Sean Hannity
@seanhannity
@realdonaldTrump to Bloomberg: "One thing this whole thing has shown is that you can't buy an election... Sometimes you just don’t have what it takes."

@realdonaldTrump Donates His Quarterly Salary to Help Fight Coronavirus, Find Vaccine

The White House
@WhiteHouse
President @realDonaldTrump signed the $8.3 billion funding bill to combat Coronavirus and defend the health and safety of the American people.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 08:54 AM   #134
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

We have now learned for sure that the Democrats don’t want anything to do with Crazy Bernie. Rigged? First @amyklobuchar & @PeteButtigieg quit the race & come out for Sleepy Joe BEFORE Super Tuesday. Pocahontas says NO & quits race AFTER ELECTION, thereby depriving Bernie of at..

.....least 5 States & the Nomination. Did the DNC & Dems tell Elizabeth Warren to wait? If so, they were deadly, the race would have been over, & Bernie would have won. Dirty double dealing? Nobody knows for sure, & history will be the judge. But I say, here we go AGAIN, Bernie!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 08:58 AM   #135
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

We have a perfectly coordinated and fine tuned plan at the White House for our attack on CoronaVirus. We moved VERY early to close borders to certain areas, which was a Godsend. V.P. is doing a great job. The Fake News Media is doing everything possible to make us look bad. Sad!
Old 8th March 2020, 10:26 AM   #136
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

A minor flare up over Melania's tennis pavilion. Some compared her, somewhat jokingly, to Marie Antoinette. Despite her professed concern for children's health issues. Mrs. Trump has remained silent about the spread of the virus. From the Independent in the UK:
Quote:
Melania Trump has hit back after she was criticised for tweeting about the progress of a White House tennis complex as coronavirus spread across America. She posted about the tennis pavilion on Thursday, which many found tone deaf given the recent deadly Tennessee tornadoes and ongoing coronavirus worries. On Saturday Melania followed up with a tweet saying: “I encourage everyone who chooses to be negative and question my work at the to take time and contribute something good & productive in their own communities.” Link
Mia Farrow tweeted back:
Quote:
“Sorry if we were ‘negative & questioned’ your ‘good & productive work’ making a tennis pavilion (whatever that is) for the WH with our money. We are dealing with a negative thing or two. Love the hard-hat.”
Melania does look darling in that white hard hat, don't she? What a gal!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Melania in hardhat.jpg (146.5 KB, 24 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 11:03 AM   #137
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
A minor flare up over Melania's tennis pavilion. Some compared her, somewhat jokingly, to Marie Antoinette. Despite her professed concern for children's health issues. Mrs. Trump has remained silent about the spread of the virus. From the Independent in the UK:

Mia Farrow tweeted back:

Melania does look darling in that white hard hat, don't she? What a gal!
Marie Antoinette wasn't even the "Marie Antoinette" of popular myth.

So unless they are saying she is a tragic victim of small-minded bigotry and ignorant rumors (which is kinda meta in this instance), I wish people would stop using that comparison.

ETA: no, I'm not arguing Marie Antoinette was a paragon, either. Just in case anyone was planning to make a false dichotomy.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 8th March 2020 at 11:06 AM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 11:36 AM   #138
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post

So unless they are saying she is a tragic victim of small-minded bigotry and ignorant rumors (which is kinda meta in this instance), I wish people would stop using that comparison.

ETA: no, I'm not arguing Marie Antoinette was a paragon, either. Just in case anyone was planning to make a false dichotomy.
There are some similarities, though. Not in the matter of tone deaf aristocracy (because that's part of the nature of an aristocracy) but in the root cause of some of the unpopularity: being a foreigner. Historically, when a ruler marries a foreigner it's an uphill battle for the public's affection.
Old 8th March 2020, 11:39 AM   #139
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The New York Times is an embarrassment to journalism. They were a dead paper before I went into politics, and they will be a dead paper after I leave, which will be in 5 years. Fake News is the Enemy of the people!
Old 8th March 2020, 12:55 PM   #140
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Highlight 1) We need a new word to describe what Trump has been doing. Perhaps "to Trump"? Adj: trumpian Adverb: Trumply

Highlight 2) Taking a page out of McConnell's book, heh?

Will the game of bridge ever survive the ignominy?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 01:40 PM   #141
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
...Melania does look darling in that white hard hat, don't she? What a gal!
Why he married her! (And who can blame Melania for falling head-over-heels for the man of her dreams! You go girl!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg She's hot!.jpg (50.7 KB, 15 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 01:43 PM   #142
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Regarding corona, Trump said this last week:
I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it. Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president.
A couple days later he said:
I didn't know people died from the flu.

It's reassuring to know the country is being led by a very stable infectious disease expert
Old 8th March 2020, 01:47 PM   #143
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Will the game of bridge ever survive the ignominy?
A valid point.
I suggest:

to Trumpify
verb intransitive
1. to brag about abilities and characteristics one does not posses.
a. to praise oneself in an absurdly exaggerated manner.
b. to praise oneself in a a childish and peevish manner.
3. to deny the existence of an objective, observable reality.
4. to attempt to gaslight people in a bizarrely obvious manner.
5. to accuse others of having one’s own negative traits.

Old 8th March 2020, 01:58 PM   #144
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it. Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president.

It's reassuring to know the country is being led by a very stable infectious disease expert
Ok. Obviously no one said that to President Trump.
And obviously it is more evidence of his uncanny ability to perfectly imitate someone possessing Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

But it illustrates another point.
No expert would ever say to a president “how do you know so much about a national crisis that has been in the news for weeks?” They would expect a president to be receiving detailed summaries every single day with important updates during the day. They would expect a competent president to know all about the crisis. President Trump has so little understanding of what is expected of a president that he thinks his boast makes him admirable.
Old 8th March 2020, 02:07 PM   #145
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post

wasn't his own grandfather killed by the Flu?
Old 8th March 2020, 02:20 PM   #146
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post

So true. I wrote a post-grad paper on Marie Antoinette focusing on the myth vs. the reality. She was unfairly maligned by the pre- and post-revolutionary press as they concentrated their vitriol on her.

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
There are some similarities, though. Not in the matter of tone deaf aristocracy (because that's part of the nature of an aristocracy) but in the root cause of some of the unpopularity: being a foreigner. Historically, when a ruler marries a foreigner it's an uphill battle for the public's affection.
M. A. had a particularly difficult situation being Austrian. There was a long history of animosity between France and Austria and M.A. was disparagingly referred to as "l'Autrichienne".

Last edited by Stacyhs; 8th March 2020 at 02:24 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 02:23 PM   #147
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
wasn't his own grandfather killed by the Flu?
Yes. In the 1918 flu pandemic.
Old 8th March 2020, 02:39 PM   #148
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

I like grandfathers who don’t get killed by the flu.
Old 8th March 2020, 02:50 PM   #149
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Do you think your wife finally realized that SHE is paying for the wall and not Mexico?

This story that Trump made up about Mexico indirectly paying for the wall is just another one of his lies he's telling to cover the truth: the American taxpayer is paying for it. It's as silly as his lie that tariffs are bringing in millions to the country.
War is peace, don't you know?

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 02:55 PM   #150
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Ok. Obviously no one said that to President Trump.
And obviously it is more evidence of his uncanny ability to perfectly imitate someone possessing Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

But it illustrates another point.
No expert would ever say to a president “how do you know so much about a national crisis that has been in the news for weeks?” They would expect a president to be receiving detailed summaries every single day with important updates during the day. They would expect a competent president to know all about the crisis. President Trump has so little understanding of what is expected of a president that he thinks his boast makes him admirable.

Could be the point, knowing how trump doesn't go in for any of that "competent president" shtick. They might have been like "How the frick would you know anything about this".

Alternatively, the child praise, to build their confidence. "Ooh you counted all the way to ten! How did you get so good at counting?"

Most likely, as noted before, he probably just forgot to include the "Sir,".
Old 8th March 2020, 03:13 PM   #151
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

We have a perfectly coordinated and fine tuned plan at the White House for our attack on CoronaVirus. We moved VERY early to close borders to certain areas, which was a Godsend. V.P. is doing a great job. The Fake News Media is doing everything possible to make us look bad. Sad!
There was a Republican Senator in one of the recent hearings that when it was his turn to speak (ask questions ) spewed out gaslighting like a cult mantra.

"Our President took bold decisive action when this started by banning flights from China... blah blah blah.

It's like they are hypnotized. This is when drinking Jim Jones' Koolaid has special significance.

Space Force.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 03:35 PM   #152
Aridas

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It's like they are hypnotized. This is when drinking Jim Jones' Koolaid has special significance.
Hypnotized? No. Lickspittle? Yes.
Old 8th March 2020, 04:37 PM   #153
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Could be the point, knowing how trump doesn't go in for any of that "competent president" shtick. They might have been like "How the frick would you know anything about this".

Alternatively, the child praise, to build their confidence. "Ooh you counted all the way to ten! How did you get so good at counting?"

Most likely, as noted before, he probably just forgot to include the "Sir,".
Ha,ha.

Yes. Your analysis is more complete than mine.
Old 8th March 2020, 04:48 PM   #154
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

War is peace, don't you know?
HGey, he probaably does not even know that Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 04:50 PM   #155
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Three totally different responses from Government officals on what is going to happen to the cruise ships
Ben Carson in particular seemed clueless.
Many American are going to die because of Trump, and the GOP totla subserveance to him.
We are f-----d, folks.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 04:55 PM   #156
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

There was a Republican Senator in one of the recent hearings that when it was his turn to speak (ask questions ) spewed out gaslighting like a cult mantra.

"Our President took bold decisive action when this started by banning flights from China... blah blah blah.

Yes, he courageously attempted to close the door of an empty barn. Some people don't understand (or refuse to acknowledge) that by the time the virus was big news it had already spread and was being transmitted between people in the US and other non-Chinese nations.

It's always weird to me when someone doesn't understand what viruses are, what incubation periods mean, and that we still don't have proper cures for viruses. Given everyone catches cold and flu viruses at some point in their lives, I would think humans should be more curious about them.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 05:03 PM   #157
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
It's always weird to me when someone doesn't understand what viruses are, what incubation periods mean, and that we still don't have proper cures for viruses. Given everyone catches cold and flu viruses at some point in their lives, I would think humans should be more curious about them.
We *don't* have cures for many viruses. I won't say all, because I'm no kind of expert, but what we do have are treatments and vaccines.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 06:30 PM   #158
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Have we discussed Trump pissing his pants yet? Rivals the toilet paper on the shoe.

Space Force.
Old 8th March 2020, 10:01 PM   #159
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Have we discussed Trump pissing his pants yet? Rivals the toilet paper on the shoe.
Citation needed.
With pictures, please!
Old 8th March 2020, 10:34 PM   #160
Aridas

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Three totally different responses from Government officals on what is going to happen to the cruise ships
Ben Carson in particular seemed clueless.
Many American are going to die because of Trump, and the GOP totla subserveance to him.
We are f-----d, folks.
Are we? I mean... he apparently just tweeted himself fiddling. I wonder if that could possibly remind anyone of something?

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Citation needed.
With pictures, please!
Like this one?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics