ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th March 2020, 06:40 AM   #1
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Why Do Such Elderly People Run America?

The Incumbent President, both of the remaining potential candidates (as well as most of the candidates who have already dropped out) for his Democratic Challenger, The House speaker, House majority leader, House majority whip, and Senate majority leader are all over 75. The average age of Congress is at an all time high.

Article from The Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...tm_source=digg
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 06:51 AM   #2
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

The moto of Boomers changed from don't trust anyone over 30 to don't trust anyone under 70.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 07:01 AM   #3
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Really thought this was going to be a jogging thread.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 07:19 AM   #4
AnonyMoose
Muse

It's because the same people have been running the country for the past 20-50 years. These people started their careers in their 30's and now those same people are a bunch of old farts.... still running the country.

You guys have been living in a real-life Groundhog Day movie for the past 50 years.
Old 9th March 2020, 07:24 AM   #5
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Because many competent younger people look at the political climate of today and decide that running for president will be more rational after King Baby no longer wields power on the national stage.
Old 9th March 2020, 07:34 AM   #6
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps younger people prefer to pursue power outside of conventional political structures? Puppetmasters and all.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 07:40 AM   #7
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Those in power have been pulling all the strings they can to block out people with different political ideas from their own. And younger adults tend to have different political ideas from older ones. (An exception is Bernie, who thinks more like a youngster. But there's a reason why he's an exception: the insiders do everything they can against somebody like him.)

Also, it's human nature to be more interested in voting when the system seems to mostly already be going your way, and to give up & think it's all hopeless if everything looks like it's set up to go wrong, just like football fans would rather watch when their team is winning than when it's losing. So as soon as the division started to open up, with policies that make life better for the old and harder on the young, young people started perceiving less and less incentive to bother voting & losing all the time, while old people started perceiving more & more to keep voting & always winning. (And the fact that we have no voting holidays so people need to work on election days magnifies this effect by making voting so much easier for retired people than for working people.) This positive feedback reaction is why there's such a thing as "momentum": whoever people think is winning tends to pull in more votes because people want to vote for the winner.
Delvo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 07:47 AM   #8
Suddenly
No Punting

Old people accumulate power and now they are healthier longer.

Also for the most part generation X is useless because they've been demographically, financially, and culturally dominated by the boomers. Political power is going to mostly skip this generation, and the millennials aren't quite there yet.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 08:20 AM   #9
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It takes a long time to build up the necessary wealth and political connections to run for the highest office. That's not an anomaly, it's historically normal for every leadership position that isn't an inherited monarchy.
Old 9th March 2020, 08:27 AM   #10
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

We're not talking "older then average" though, that is as you said to be expected.

We're talking about literally almost every position of high power being taken up by someone who statistically died years ago.

As I said in a previous thread you can't tell me that having power consolidated to that degree with people who know they aren't going to have to live with the long term consequences of their actions isn't a factor.

The youngest Republican in Congress is 40. The average age is "Told the first complicated amino acids coming together to form the first proteins in a tiny pool of primordial ooze billions of years ago to get of their lawn and stop it with that nonsense." The Democrats fair only slightly better. We talk about anyone in politics under the age of 60 like a spring chicken. "Holy crap this dude's only had major open heart surgery once, let's make him Emperor, let's make him God!"

It's like why watching them govern is like watching your grandmother try to play a modern video game on a modern dual-axis controller. It's why they refer to the internet as a "series of tubes." They are the legislative equivalent to an old man driving a '88 Lincoln Town Car with curb feelers, radio tuned to Paul Harvey, 45 miles an hour in the fast lane.

The fact that all of them know they'll all be dead any minute is probably why none of them care to fix the planet for the next generation.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 9th March 2020 at 08:30 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 08:33 AM   #11
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post

Also for the most part generation X is useless because they've been demographically, financially, and culturally dominated by the boomers. Political power is going to mostly skip this generation, and the millennials aren't quite there yet.
This is my take too. The boomers are a large cohort that has wielded unusual political power. They are on the way out.

You see the first stages of the political handover. You have the thread about AOC clashing with Pelosi. It doesn't inspire optimism that aging powerbrokers like Pelosi seem determined to undermine and contain the growing political power of younger generations.
Old 9th March 2020, 08:37 AM   #12
carlitos
"más divertido"

From the other thread.

Quote:
Look at the bright side - our next President will feel right at home with the rest of the world leaders, like Pierre Trudeau, Silvio Berlusconi and Paul Keating.

Seriously - Vladimir Putin, Angela Merkel, heck even Tony Blair won't turn 70 until 3 years into the next POTUS' term.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 08:37 AM   #13
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Because many competent younger people look at the political climate of today and decide that running for president will be more rational after King Baby no longer wields power on the national stage.

That doesn't have a lot of explanatory power for me. It's only been three years. Even if a thirty-something professional were inspired by Hillary's election to get into politics, she'd still be two or three decades away from the real power at the top of that profession. Look at AOC. Young, energetic, looming pretty large for a freshman in Congress. But she's nowhere near the point of running things the way Nancy Pelosi is. This isn't because she's been deterred by Trump.

The thirty-somethings who are deterred by Trump, in your explanation, would have had to be deterred thirty years ago, and would be in their sixties now anyway. Which makes no sense, as an explanation.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 09:58 AM   #14
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

As someone who is somewhat younger than those guys, but retired, I can't imagine wanting to take that job.
Old 9th March 2020, 10:12 AM   #15
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
As someone who is somewhat younger than those guys, but retired, I can't imagine wanting to take that job.
Exactly what I keep thinking.
Trump, of course, is an exception. He's never worked a day in his life and still doesn't. His life has scarcely changed.
Old 9th March 2020, 10:15 AM   #16
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Well, this topic does give me one cheery thought when all else about currently politics is just depressing. Over an only slightly longer time scale than the next few elections, and still significantly shorter than the remainder of my life, the people who've been running my country into the ground for years will die out of the way.
Delvo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 10:20 AM   #17
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Well, this topic does give me one cheery thought when all else about currently politics is just depressing. Over an only slightly longer time scale than the next few elections, and still significantly shorter than the remainder of my life, the people who've been running my country into the ground for years will die out of the way.
And then your generation will get its own chance to screw things up.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 10:32 AM   #18
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

This is the crux of it.

Baby Boomers have broken the unspoken covenant of generational torch-passing and refuse to go quietly into that good night.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 10:51 AM   #19
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
This is the crux of it.

Baby Boomers have broken the unspoken covenant of generational torch-passing and refuse to go quietly into that good night.
This. At a certain point the idea was that the "in charge" generation would just get tired of being "in charge" and step down to coast through the rest of their life and with the Boomers that didn't happen. THEY JUST WON'T GO AWAY.
Old 9th March 2020, 12:05 PM   #20
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
This. At a certain point the idea was that the "in charge" generation would just get tired of being "in charge" and step down to coast through the rest of their life and with the Boomers that didn't happen. THEY JUST WON'T GO AWAY.

There was a science fiction series I read in which technology existed to rejuvenate people, restoring their youth and healing any injuries or illnesses. The problem was that it was extremely expensive, so it was effectively only available to rich people, or people working for governments, militaries, or corporations that didn't want to lose their experience and institutional knowledge. This ended up causing significant stagnation in society. People weren't dying and leaving their money to other people, so wealth became more concentrated at the top. People weren't retiring or dying to create new job openings, so promotions slowed to a crawl.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 12:12 PM   #21
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
This is the crux of it.

There is a graphic going around that shows the fraction of total wealth in the US by age by generation. For example, when they were 30, the boomers held X% of the wealth in the US. Then compare to how much Gen X had when they where 30, and then millenials.

Across the board, boomers have held a much larger fraction of the total wealth over their lives, and they aren't giving it up.
Old 9th March 2020, 12:16 PM   #22
Venom
Illuminator

Dianne Feinstein and Orrin Hatch in particular have mindblowingly long political careers.

Feinstein 86 and Hatch 85.

Oh and the man who threw the snowball on the Senate floor to prove there was no warming outside. He's remarkably fit for an old man though.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 04:41 PM   #23
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I'm no youngster but I think it is highly dysfunctional for the age bias in politics to be so skewed.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 05:35 PM   #24
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

We've got the money, we've got the votes, we're interested in politics because we grew up in the 60's; even if our current beliefs are exactly the opposite of that. Get off my lawn! Which the Hispanic yard guy has looking very nice, by the way.
Old 10th March 2020, 12:51 PM   #25
The Shrike
Philosopher

Not yet unpopular hypothesis: all our imagery of the "Founding Fathers" is old dudes with white hair, ignoring the fact that they weren't *that* old they were just wearing powdered wigs.

Discuss.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 03:12 PM   #26
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Not yet unpopular hypothesis: all our imagery of the "Founding Fathers" is old dudes with white hair, ignoring the fact that they weren't *that* old they were just wearing powdered wigs.

Discuss.
Ben Franklin was 70 when the Declaration of Independance was signed. FWIW
Old 10th March 2020, 04:28 PM   #27
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Ben Franklin was 70 when the Declaration of Independance was signed. FWIW
And screwing half the women in Paris not long after. Randy old bugger!
Old 10th March 2020, 04:39 PM   #28
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Meh ...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 11:48 PM   #29
Mumbles
Philosopher

This, in particular. The "Silent Generation" is starting to bow out, the Boomers are a massive group, and "GenX mostly got ignored, as they're simply too small of a generation - and the Millennials are just starting - and a good portion of them got supremely hosed in thee Great Recession.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 06:59 AM   #30
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Good thing we all have biological term limits
Old 11th March 2020, 07:08 AM   #31
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

The Incumbent President, both of the remaining potential candidates (as well as most of the candidates who have already dropped out) for his Democratic Challenger, The House speaker, House majority leader, House majority whip, and Senate majority leader are all over 75. The average age of Congress is at an all time high.

Article from The Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...tm_source=digg
I have been wondering about the same thing myself.

That is why my original favored candidates for the presidency were much younger people like Booker. I expect that a big part of our political problems is that we have so many old and intractable people running the show.

After all, people like Clinton and Obama were really able to improve things and I think that a big part of that is because they were not totally stuck in their ways as old people tend to do.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 07:13 AM   #32
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Good thing we all have biological term limits
With certain individuals excepted. Vlad Putin's out somewhere in Siberia eating the beating hearts of bears he's just strangled, so as to absorb their strength.
Old 11th March 2020, 08:02 AM   #33
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
There was a science fiction series I read in which technology existed to rejuvenate people, restoring their youth and healing any injuries or illnesses. The problem was that it was extremely expensive, so it was effectively only available to rich people, or people working for governments, militaries, or corporations that didn't want to lose their experience and institutional knowledge. This ended up causing significant stagnation in society. People weren't dying and leaving their money to other people, so wealth became more concentrated at the top. People weren't retiring or dying to create new job openings, so promotions slowed to a crawl.

More than now???!
Yes, that must have been science fiction.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 08:54 AM   #34
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
More than now???!
Yes, that must have been science fiction.
The bad news is, we're living in the worst possible world. The good news is, it can't get any worse.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 09:21 AM   #35
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The bad news is, we're living in the worst possible world. The good news is, it can't get any worse.
Chthulu uttered unto his followers: Hold my beer.
Old 11th March 2020, 09:34 AM   #36
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Chthulu uttered unto his followers: Hold my beer.
I believe in Cthulhu the way dann believes the wealth concentration at the top is as bad as it could possibly get.
Old 11th March 2020, 09:38 AM   #37
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yep. Everything is "It's not a problem because it could be a bigger problem" or "Well it's too big a problem, it's just the way it is, might as well accept it."

There's no possible level of problem we can ever achieve that you think is worth dealing with.

And since there is an XKCD for everything:

Old 11th March 2020, 09:39 AM   #38
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yep. Everything is "It's not a problem because it could be a bigger problem" or "Well it's too big a problem, it's just the way it is, might as well accept it."

There's no possible level of problem we can ever achieve that you think is worth dealing with.

And since there is an XKCD for everything:

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/scientific_briefing.png
Calm down. I was needling dann's appeal to incredulity. Nothing more. You're fighting a fight literally nobody else is having.
Old 11th March 2020, 09:46 AM   #39
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
You're fighting a fight literally nobody else is having.
Oh, dear. The Nothingness War has begun, where noncombatants don't not fight against nobody. That's End Times stuff. The cosmos will collapse into void by the end of the week, and worse: the S&P 500 will go down another forty points!
Old 11th March 2020, 10:00 AM   #40
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Oh, dear. The Nothingness War has begun, where noncombatants don't not fight against nobody. That's End Times stuff. The cosmos will collapse into void by the end of the week, and worse: the S&P 500 will go down another forty points!
Wow. I was going with "curmudgeonly tangent". It's much worse than I thought!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics