ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th March 2020, 10:08 AM   #41
rdwight
Muse

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
This is the crux of it.

Baby Boomers have broken the unspoken covenant of generational torch-passing and refuse to go quietly into that good night.
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
This. At a certain point the idea was that the "in charge" generation would just get tired of being "in charge" and step down to coast through the rest of their life and with the Boomers that didn't happen. THEY JUST WON'T GO AWAY.
Don't think the generation before them really gracefully gave up power. Baby boomers just had the numbers and the resources to take it. They still have more than half the wealth of the country. They are just now being matched in voter counts by the combination of the younger generations. They kept power because they could. They'll lose it when they can't. Nothing graceful about it, and will probably be the case with each generation after.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 10:35 AM   #42
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
The moto of Boomers changed from don't trust anyone over 30 to don't trust anyone under 70.
Here is a population chart by Generation in the US for 2018. Boomers represent around 22%. That means that 78% of the voting population are from a different generation. I don't think we can answer the OP's question with your explanation 'because boomers.' The math doesn't compute.

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
It's because the same people have been running the country for the past 20-50 years. These people started their careers in their 30's and now those same people are a bunch of old farts.... still running the country.

You guys have been living in a real-life Groundhog Day movie for the past 50 years.
There is evidence to support the idea that it is easier for those in power to maintain power. Name recognition is one of the factor that contributes to re/elect-ability.

I am not aware of any particular law that structures the democratic process to favor incumbent candidates. Are you?

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Those in power have been pulling all the strings they can to block out people with different political ideas from their own. And younger adults tend to have different political ideas from older ones. (An exception is Bernie, who thinks more like a youngster. But there's a reason why he's an exception: the insiders do everything they can against somebody like him.)
I agree that our political institutions (DNC & RNC) structure themselves to block outsiders. Based on my perception the DNC is more sympathetic to the hardships of those outside of their group. The DNC is also more likely to cater to that group by recommending different policy changes. Whether this is to obtain their vote and labeled as the 'right thing to do,' I have not decided. This may well be how representative democracies are supposed to work. It could also be viewed as a bribe. Regardless, the existence of these vying dynamics reinforces that improvements need to be made to our existing form of government.

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Also, it's human nature to be more interested in voting when the system seems to mostly already be going your way, and to give up & think it's all hopeless if everything looks like it's set up to go wrong, just like football fans would rather watch when their team is winning than when it's losing. So as soon as the division started to open up, with policies that make life better for the old and harder on the young, young people started perceiving less and less incentive to bother voting & losing all the time, while old people started perceiving more & more to keep voting & always winning. (And the fact that we have no voting holidays so people need to work on election days magnifies this effect by making voting so much easier for retired people than for working people.) This positive feedback reaction is why there's such a thing as "momentum": whoever people think is winning tends to pull in more votes because people want to vote for the winner.
I'm not sure I agree with that statement. Your belief is that most become apathetic if they feel the government is not supporting them? How could anything every change if that was the case? As evidence to support that is not always the case; Undeniably, there have been many events where citizens march in the street demanding change.

With your sport analogy; I find that people are less forthcoming if their team is loosing, but they are still active in their fandom, buy the branded gear, etc.

If we recognize that the government has finite resources, it naturally follows that the government cannot be as accommodating to 'everybody' as they would like. I think the DNC defines 'everybody' by identity, whereas, the RNC is more likely to define 'everybody' as the collective.

Momentum eventually fades, it is a factor, but not the only factor.

Is there any evidence that the rate of voter turn-out for retires is higher than the employees? I might have found something to support your claim. Groups are classified as a rate of senior citizen vs. remaining voting population.
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 10:41 AM   #43
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by ServiceSoon View Post
Here is a population chart by Generation in the US for 2018. Boomers represent around 22%. That means that 78% of the voting population are from a different generation. I don't think we can answer the OP's question with your explanation 'because boomers.' The math doesn't compute.
Ah the math of goalpost moving because by new standards the voting age has been lowered to 0. Or your math is wrong.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 11:20 AM   #44
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
This is the crux of it.

Baby Boomers have broken the unspoken covenant of generational torch-passing and refuse to go quietly into that good night.
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
This. At a certain point the idea was that the "in charge" generation would just get tired of being "in charge" and step down to coast through the rest of their life and with the Boomers that didn't happen. THEY JUST WON'T GO AWAY.

Did you guys just make that up? Could you pinpoint a time in Human history where that has actually happened? I mean, I know that the Boomers told you that they were going to do that but the Boomers said a lot of things. They tried to convince me that The Beatles, Peter, Paul and Mary and Moby Grape et al. didn't, completely and wholeheartedly, totally suck!

Meh ... Ninja'd by rdwight.

Last edited by Elagabalus; 11th March 2020 at 11:24 AM.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 01:30 PM   #45
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Ah the math of goalpost moving because by new standards the voting age has been lowered to 0. Or your math is wrong.
Sure, the last group in the reference is the generation from 1997 to present. That includes some who are not able to vote. The fact remains that boomers do not by themselves represent the entire voting population. Why do you have a prejudice against the boomer generation?
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 03:12 AM   #46
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
Don't think the generation before them really gracefully gave up power. Baby boomers just had the numbers and the resources to take it. They still have more than half the wealth of the country. They are just now being matched in voter counts by the combination of the younger generations. They kept power because they could. They'll lose it when they can't. Nothing graceful about it, and will probably be the case with each generation after.
And the first time that most of them made it to 3 score years and 10 with good health.

In the past people just didn't remain as healthy in their old age, so even if they lived to say 90 their kids and grandkids would have been running things for the last 20 or 30 years.

Also we are not going to see this change much now that we have started to have kids so much later.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics