IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th September 2014, 09:17 AM   #1
kedo1981
Master Poster

Don't mean to drone on but

I'm coveting a aerial camera platform, a quadcopter with a HD camera, a so called drone.
My interest is to make it part of my video production service and use it to make money.
What do ya think, get one now and wait out the FAA's restrictions that are supposed to be changed next year or wait and see what the reg's are and what kind of license, fees, certifications, yada yada.
kedo1981 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2014, 03:56 PM   #2
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

I wants one too.
But the problem is not the F.A.A.
The problem is the W.I.F.E.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2014, 04:07 PM   #3
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

So, you want the drone to do, like, crane shots at weddings or what exactly?

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2014, 06:38 PM   #4
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Interested too. No problem with F.A.A., W.I.F.E. manageable as long as she sees the bill only after seeing some good footage. M.O.N.E.Y., on the other hand...

I want for nature shots; tree canopies, tall rock outcrops, cliffs and cave mouths.

Need tips!
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2014, 01:00 AM   #5
Duffy Moon
Master Poster

My friend just bought a DJI Phantom Vision, which is a ready to fly quad/camera combo, pretty much everything one would need.

The pictures obtained by them are good, however many people seem to plump for a custom version - the same quad but with a gimbal and a GoPro camera.

This effectively doubles the P.R.I.C.E but the resulting footage is absolutely breathtaking, rather than 'pretty good'.
It also removes something called 'the jello effect', which is the subject for much discussion on drone photography forums.

Phantom Vision footage:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Phantom with gimbal & GoPro footage:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Duffy Moon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2014, 01:35 AM   #6
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

I want 5,000 large aerial platforms like these, but with much greater range and hours-long air-time deployed in African game areas immediately, to combat the poaching epidemic.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2014, 02:36 AM   #7
Octavo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I want 5,000 large aerial platforms like these, but with much greater range and hours-long air-time deployed in African game areas immediately, to combat the poaching epidemic.
Then you may find this encouraging:

http://www.iol.co.za/scitech/science...7#.VBFswvmSyrA
Octavo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2014, 03:31 AM   #8
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

A small step in right direction. Thanks.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2014, 03:50 AM   #9
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
I wants one too.
But the problem is not the F.A.A.
The problem is the W.I.F.E.
Meh, take it from a four-times married guy, the solution is simple. Let her go shopping first. Then buy your toy. When she complains tell her to list the things she'll return.
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2014, 05:49 AM   #10
kedo1981
Master Poster

I have a camera jib (crane).
the drone would be for a sweeping outdoor shots, flying dollies around moving cars, or aerial real estate videos.
The jello thing is bad in the cheaper ones but you can buy or DIY a damping mount.
The Phantom is one i'm looking at, the basic copter for 480.00, A GoPro 3 around 400.00, use the free flight app on my android tablet.
The "Storm Drone" looks like a maybe, more modular that the Phantom, bit cheaper, has all the GPS features
kedo1981 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2014, 09:00 AM   #11
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

I've AP'ing for many years. Airplanes are more versatile and have a greater visual range from the operator.. you can see them further away.
I have a large quad which flies well, carries two. One can be used for the aerial photos, the other for the FPV.. First Person View.. of where the drone is looking, transmitting that image to a ground station.
Orientation at distance is a problem.. which end is the front!!!???
In an urban environment, retrieving from a rooftop after a misadventure with the controls or power can be a problem.
For images of a particular location the hovering ability beats the airplane.
They are noisier (more noticeable to the public) than an gliding plane.
I mount cameras on tilting mounts that permit adjusting the aim from directly sideways to straight down in flight.
I prefer the Mobius Keyfob camera to the GoPro.. smaller, lighter, and takes the same size images.
The GoPro fisheye images are unsettling in the videos, as the horizon wobbles up and down like the edges of a pancake being tossed by the chef.
The first two images are from the quad. The second is right at the visual range limit.. the 3rd and 4th are from a plane, way further than a quad can be safely flown. The 5 shows one of the tilt mounts, looking sideways and down.
https://vimeo.com/98235203
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jrIMAG0064.jpg (147.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg jrIMAG0084.jpg (148.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg EZStar-082613-N16 (16).jpg (136.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg jrEZStar-082713-N18 (4).jpg (105.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg jrConcept-07B-27.jpg (144.2 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by I Ratant; 11th September 2014 at 09:20 AM. Reason: video from the Quad
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2014, 09:14 AM   #12
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
Meh, take it from a four-times married guy, the solution is simple. Let her go shopping first. Then buy your toy. When she complains tell her to list the things she'll return.
Nothing personal, but a four-times-married guy might not be the first one I'd consult for marital advice.

Just sayin'.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2014, 09:27 AM   #13
Zax63
Illuminator

I'd say wait if you can. I think drones are in that stage where features, improvements and price drops are going to be coming fast and furious for the next couple of years.

Take a look at the upcoming Parrot Bebop drone .
Quote:
Equiped with a 14 megapixel "fisheye" camera, the Parrot Bebop Drone records videos and pictures in a 180° field with remarkable image quality. Endowed with a full-digital image stabilization technology allows the Bebop Drone to take remarkably stable and clear aerial footage regardless of the drone movements. Splash and dust proof lens.
Zax63 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2014, 09:56 AM   #14
kedo1981
Master Poster

OMFG; I-Ratant I like you better already
Old 11th September 2014, 10:36 AM   #15
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

The GoPro on the tilting mount. Servo is on the rudder channel for 90 degrees of movement
Some GoPro images... each one needs to be de-fisheyed, which is a PITA.
I set the camera either for continous video or sequential images in flight, rather than fool with a servo to snap the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TiltMount (1).jpg (72.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg GoProWhite3ImageSizes-II.jpg (147.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg eGLPod-081213-GoPro (38)-Fisheye-A.jpg (132.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg jreGLPod-081213-GoPro Fisheye-B.jpg (135.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by I Ratant; 11th September 2014 at 11:44 AM.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2014, 10:40 AM   #16
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
Nothing personal, but a four-times-married guy might not be the first one I'd consult for marital advice.

Just sayin'.
Divorced once. Just sayin'.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2014, 11:12 AM   #17
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

I've tried the FPV flight.. didn't like it. I HAVE to see the airplane!
FPV is best used with the airborne camera bore-sighted to the same center of view as the photo camera, and the FPV guy using that to tell the pilot where to fly to for the image he wants.
Really takes two people to be safe. One only flies the device, keeping it in visual range all the time, while the camera user watches the FPV image.
Old 11th September 2014, 11:41 AM   #18
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Lots of information on aerial photography
http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aeros...FobCameras.htm
Old 11th September 2014, 03:37 PM   #19
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Now I want a drone. I have no use for a drone, but I want one.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2014, 05:38 PM   #20
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Modern electrical geniuses have come up with 3-axis gyros for flight stabilization that are almost too small to see!
Even the smallest quads have these!
For a newbie to r/c flight, the gyro is indispensible!
And there's add-ons with gyros that work on airplanes also.
Here's six quads... the largest carries two Mobius cameras..the next largest on the left is probably the smallest practical size for AP work, carrying an 808 Keyfob camera with the case removed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QuadHelis.jpg (124.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 11th September 2014, 05:56 PM   #21
Gawdzilla Sama

I'm glad nobody posted this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jsgfD.jpg (64.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 12th September 2014, 07:50 AM   #22
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

MeOUCH!
Old 12th September 2014, 08:06 AM   #23
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
MeOUCH!
Kitty expired from old age.
Old 12th September 2014, 08:51 AM   #24
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by kedo1981 View Post
What do ya think, get one now and wait out the FAA's restrictions that are supposed to be changed next year or wait and see what the reg's are and what kind of license, fees, certifications, yada yada.
Given how fast the tech is moving I'd tend towards wait and see.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2014, 11:04 AM   #25
kedo1981
Master Poster

Come on, the cat will be fine
Old 12th September 2014, 11:47 AM   #26
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

I have linked to this TED video before. It shows what can be done with quads using control theory and some fancy algorithms.
I AGREE
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2014, 01:24 PM   #27
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Whatever you do, please follow the laws of the land and don't mess it up for us hobbiests.
Eta. Tapa talk is truly trying to get me a yellow card
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275

Last edited by rwguinn; 12th September 2014 at 01:26 PM.
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology