ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd October 2017, 07:05 AM   #1
buka001
Thinker

Is this the most confounding double speak from a conspiracy theorist ever?

Linking to a post in a local forum in South Africa. The thread's topic generally revolves around Donal Trump, it does get side tracked. The current side track is on conspiracy theory.

Link to the central post that has blown my mind. Follow back with what Xarog is saying and tell me, is this guy serious? Am I missing the point? What is he getting at?

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...1#post20594722
Old 23rd October 2017, 07:18 AM   #2
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

He appears to be saying that nobody can truly know anything, therefore it's equally valid to believe that the Apollo landings never happened, 9/11 was a US government conspiracy and thirty-seven people simultaneously shot JFK as to believe that Apollo landed, 9/11 was a terrorist attack and Oswald was the only shooter, provided your beliefs aren't internally self-contradictory. It's basically the outright solipsist view of conspiracism, because his underlying assertion is that it's a belief system to believe that there is such a thing as evidence. Probably the best response is to analyse what he believes, if he's honest enough to state it, and point out where it's internally contradictory. With any luck he'll tie himself up in knots trying to resolve the contradictions, and anybody reading his posts critically will see it.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2017, 09:25 AM   #3
Tomtomkent
Philosopher

Solipsistic or sloppiest?

Never look up an E-book because this signature line told you. Especially not Dead Lament (ASIN: B00JEN1MWY). Or A Little Trouble (ASIN: B00GQFZZQW).
Tomtomkent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:55 AM   #4
HSienzant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by buka001 View Post
Linking to a post in a local forum in South Africa. The thread's topic generally revolves around Donal Trump, it does get side tracked. The current side track is on conspiracy theory.

Link to the central post that has blown my mind. Follow back with what Xarog is saying and tell me, is this guy serious? Am I missing the point? What is he getting at?

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...1#post20594722
He explains his argument better in his next post:

Quote:
"The idea that you should only believe things that you have evidence for is a belief that you adopted without any evidence. Therefore you are stipulating a standard of behaviour which you yourself do not meet. The conspiracy theorist makes no such stipulation. Therefore their process is internally coherent, but yours is not."
Believing that evidence is necessary is a logical contradiction to him because you don't have evidence for that claim.

As Dave Rogers explains above, it's solipsism.

Hank

Last edited by HSienzant; 23rd October 2017 at 10:58 AM.
HSienzant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2017, 05:26 PM   #5
Pacal
Muse

In my case the "best" "doublespeak" argument I ever heard from a CT was that the fact there was no convincing evidence for the existence of Bigfoot was evidence for both Bigfoot and the conspiracy to supress the evidence.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2017, 05:35 PM   #6
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by HSienzant View Post
He explains his argument better in his next post:

Believing that evidence is necessary is a logical contradiction to him because you don't have evidence for that claim.

As Dave Rogers explains above, it's solipsism.

Hank
Why is it solipsism?

It's a kind of pathological skepticism, I suppose, which is akin to the reasoning behind solipsism, but it doesn't seem the same to me.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2017, 05:49 PM   #7
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
In my case the "best" "doublespeak" argument I ever heard from a CT was that the fact there was no convincing evidence for the existence of Bigfoot was evidence for both Bigfoot and the conspiracy to supress the evidence.
Yeah, but you have to keep in mind the mentality of the types of people who say this kind of stuff. I mean, they are the very same people who run around in their local wilderness, at night, making ridiculous sounds which they think are "Bigfoot Calls", and who,when they get a reply, DON'T realise that they are coming from another person, who is also running around in the same local wilderness, at night, making what they think are "Bigfoot Calls".

Last edited by smartcooky; 23rd October 2017 at 05:54 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2017, 07:55 PM   #8
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Skepticism itself is based on logic from principles, not evidence.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories