ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags flat earth conspiracies , flat earthers

Old 11th October 2017, 07:11 PM   #1
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

There are no forest on Earth / The Devils Tower is a giant petrified tree stump

Flat-Earthers Have a Wild New Theory About Forests

Quote:
‘No Forests on Flat Earth’ is an incredible new theory. Its claim is grand, counterintuitive, and beautiful: we were lied to; our flat earth has no forests.
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...uthers/499322/

Long story short in the past "forests" were made up of gigantic, kilometer high trees. What we have now are just basically small patches of shrubs.

Oh and the Devils Tower (below) in Wyoming is not really a 1,267 feet (386 m) high laccolithic butte composed of igneous rock as us sheeple have been lead to believe. It (and many other buttes and mesas) is a petrified stump of one of those ancient giant trees.

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong
JoeBentley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 07:23 PM   #2
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Oooo! I heard about this one but I forgot about it. None of its proponents ever answered how the trees came to be petrified.
Old 11th October 2017, 07:49 PM   #3
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I'm struggling to understand the conspiracy theory, can you flesh it out a little more?

and BTW that is an impressive piece of rock.
Old 11th October 2017, 08:19 PM   #4
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I'm struggling to understand the conspiracy theory, can you flesh it out a little more?

and BTW that is an impressive piece of rock.
The skinny is, that mesas & mountains are petrified trees. There was a huge cataclysm that deforested the earth, & all we are left with are a bunch of bushes.

It ties into flat earth by proving "THEY" know the truth about the cataclysm (people were around for it. It's happened in like the 2nd-3rd age of mankind. We're on the 5th) & trees of that size can only grow "up".

At least that's what was told to me.
Old 11th October 2017, 09:19 PM   #5
threadworm
Graduate Poster

There's also a Godbothering angle.

It's babbling nutjobbery of the highest order.

I believe this is the originator of it. Be warned, you will not get this 80 minutes back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHkiZNT3cyE

Apollo Hoax Debunked

Last edited by threadworm; 11th October 2017 at 09:35 PM.
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 10:35 PM   #6
Axxman300
Master Poster

I can't lower my IQ far enough for this one.
Old 12th October 2017, 01:40 AM   #7
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Complete bollocks. Everyone knows it used to hold one of the Lamps of the Valar.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 11:23 AM   #8
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Snopes is on the case.
Old 12th October 2017, 03:15 PM   #9
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Complete bollocks. Everyone knows it used to hold one of the Lamps of the Valar.

Dave
Nah, it a secret landing place for Aliens.....

Has "Close Encounters" been forgotten already?

BTW every summer they have a special showing of Close Encounters at Devil's Tower National Monument....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 03:33 PM   #10
MicahJava
Master Poster

I recommend that all watch this movie. It's a fascinating work of art into another person's fantasy realm. It gives you a peaceful, entranced feeling similar to a chill nature documentary.

Here is a good English dub of the Russian original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFrLkNrATGA

Reminder: The person who made this video was dead serious.
MicahJava is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 03:12 AM   #11
jakesteele
Fait Accompli

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post

Long story short in the past "forests" were made up of gigantic, kilometer high trees. What we have now are just basically small patches of shrubs.

Oh and the Devils Tower (below) in Wyoming is not really a 1,267 feet (386 m) high laccolithic butte composed of igneous rock as us sheeple have been lead to believe. It (and many other buttes and mesas) is a petrified stump of one of those ancient giant trees.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Sep03_exif.jpg

That big stump reminds me of the movie Avatar.

DEATH ALWAYS RIDES SHOTGUN
jakesteele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 10:45 AM   #12
JohnG
Pedantic Bore

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Snopes is on the case.

So it turns out that flat-earthers, the very people who pride themselves on not being gulled by supposed scientific dogma are in actual fact the most gullible people in the whole wide (oblate spheroid) world? Huh.
Old 14th October 2017, 10:51 AM   #13
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

So (rule of so), the stump of a kilometer high tree is 386m. That's going to be a REALLY funny-looking tree.
Old 14th October 2017, 11:21 AM   #14
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
So (rule of so), the stump of a kilometer high tree is 386m. That's going to be a REALLY funny-looking tree.
I wonder if the strength of any known wood could actually support such a structure?

Why would the square-cube law NOT be limiting to tree height? The limiting factor is generally assumed to be energy required to draw water up the trunk, which is linearly proportional to height. Water movement appears to be one of the big limiting factors in tree growth. It appears on earth that 120-130m is about the maximum height of a tree. It gets harder and harder to get water up to the top.

I think they'd have to evoke 'lesser gravity in the old earth scenario'.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 11:54 AM   #15
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 332nd View Post
Oooo! I heard about this one but I forgot about it. None of its proponents ever answered how the trees came to be petrified.
They were frightened byf giant Beavers?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 05:13 PM   #16
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
I hope none of them were fruit or nut trees - it would be like an impact zone.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 05:44 PM   #17
Apathia
Illuminator

Everyone has forgotten Paul Bunyan and his blue ox, Babe.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 06:41 PM   #18
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I wonder if the strength of any known wood could actually support such a structure?

Why would the square-cube law NOT be limiting to tree height? The limiting factor is generally assumed to be energy required to draw water up the trunk, which is linearly proportional to height. Water movement appears to be one of the big limiting factors in tree growth. It appears on earth that 120-130m is about the maximum height of a tree. It gets harder and harder to get water up to the top.
Yep. This "Stump" would already be many magnitudes taller than any tree could possibly grow. The particularly large trees we have now (Giant Sequoias, Coast Redwoods, Mountain Ash, etc) already get to 90-115m, so we're probably seeing trees right now at pretty much the practical real world limit.

JoeBentley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 07:13 PM   #19
sackett
Philosopher

The Blackfeet had a whimsy that Devil's Tower is the stump of a giant tree. When you look at the thing itself and recall that notion, it makes you go "gulp!"

Maybe the flatters heard of that Blackfoot bedtime story.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 06:28 AM   #20
bknight
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
The Blackfeet had a whimsy that Devil's Tower is the stump of a giant tree. When you look at the thing itself and recall that notion, it makes you go "gulp!"

Maybe the flatters heard of that Blackfoot bedtime story.
You have mistaken the Blackfeet with perhaps the Kiowa tribe, and their belief concerning Devils Tower was

Quote:
The Kiowa call Devils Tower "Aloft on a Rock" and "Tree Rock." The oral histories of the Kiowa people link Tree Rock with their astronomical knowledge.
https://www.nps.gov/deto/learn/histo...ite.htm#Lakota
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 02:42 PM   #21
CORed
Philosopher

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Sep03_exif.jpg
Re Devil's Tower: The damn thing does look like a giant tree stump, and 9/11 truthers have taught me that whatever something looks like, is what it is (e.g the collapse of Building 7 looks like a controlled demolition (if you don't look real close), so it was a controlled demolition). Since Devil's tower is a tree stump by that impeccable logic, I can marvel at not only how big the tree was, but at how big Paul Bunyan must have been to cut it down. Of course, I do have to wonder what the heck happened to the rest of the tree. It must have been a hell of a job to cut it up and haul it away.

Last edited by CORed; 16th October 2017 at 02:45 PM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 03:04 PM   #22
Argumemnon
World Maker

I wonder if it made a sound when it fell, since no one was around to hear it.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 11:28 AM   #23
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Come on, we all know the Devil's Tower is made out of Mashed Potatoes.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 10:34 AM   #24
Papermache
Thinker

Only if we're old enough.
Papermache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 10:51 AM   #25
tinribmancer
Hasbarian NWO Templar Cattle

I wonder if there are Flat-Earthers who would believe that all forests were created by holographic projectors...

...pretty sure I could find this in their lair...

JC Denton

tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2017, 06:28 AM   #26
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I wonder if it made a sound when it fell, since no one was around to hear it.

I wonder where all the wood went. Using the posted height of 1,267 feet, and estimating the width to be similar, we can determine an estimate of the volume of the tower, as the volume of a cylinder, pi*r^2*h. I calculate it to be just over 1.5 billion cubic feet, which is about 44.7 million cubic meters.

I found this document:

https://www.fs.fed.us/nrs/pubs/jrnl/...uppold_001.pdf

Which indicates in figure 1 that total world production of hardwood lumber has varied between about 95 to 120 million cubic meters per year. So, this stump alone would be about one third to one half of our total world production, for one year. How much would the whole tree be?
Old 21st October 2017, 09:58 AM   #27
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Re Devil's Tower: The damn thing does look like a giant tree stump, and 9/11 truthers have taught me that whatever something looks like, is what it is (e.g the collapse of Building 7 looks like a controlled demolition (if you don't look real close), so it was a controlled demolition). Since Devil's tower is a tree stump by that impeccable logic, I can marvel at not only how big the tree was, but at how big Paul Bunyan must have been to cut it down. Of course, I do have to wonder what the heck happened to the rest of the tree. It must have been a hell of a job to cut it up and haul it away.
Be fair! I'm no biologist, but in my informal observations, the parts that are cut off above the stump decompose more quickly than the stump.

I mean, you don't want to make the "Devil's Tower is a tree stump" crowd look like morons here. Apply the principle of charity and try to cast them in the least loony light.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2017, 10:02 AM   #28
phiwum
Philosopher

delete. Misread.

Last edited by phiwum; 21st October 2017 at 10:04 AM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 11:34 AM   #29
Nakani
Muse

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Gopher wood of course, excellent for building giant ships btw.
Nakani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2017, 01:38 AM   #30
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2017, 01:45 AM   #31
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I wonder where all the wood went. Using the posted height of 1,267 feet, and estimating the width to be similar, we can determine an estimate of the volume of the tower, as the volume of a cylinder, pi*r^2*h. I calculate it to be just over 1.5 billion cubic feet, which is about 44.7 million cubic meters.

I found this document:

https://www.fs.fed.us/nrs/pubs/jrnl/...uppold_001.pdf

Which indicates in figure 1 that total world production of hardwood lumber has varied between about 95 to 120 million cubic meters per year. So, this stump alone would be about one third to one half of our total world production, for one year. How much would the whole tree be?
How much wood would the whole tree be if the whole tree could be wood?

The Close Encounters viewing sounds kinda cool. I wonder if it's in the "box canyon"?
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2017, 11:42 AM   #32
Imhotep
Muse

Does this trend towards moronic theories bottom out at some point? I'm hoping it's just a hurdle mankind has to get over instead of a new fixture.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2017, 03:52 PM   #33
bknight
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
Does this trend towards moronic theories bottom out at some point? I'm hoping it's just a hurdle mankind has to get over instead of a new fixture.
The stupidity has increased at an exponential rate since the advent of the internet.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2017, 04:10 PM   #34
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

Yep. This "Stump" would already be many magnitudes taller than any tree could possibly grow. The particularly large trees shrubs we have now (Giant Sequoias, Coast Redwoods, Mountain Ash, etc) already get to 90-115m, so we're probably seeing trees shrubs right now at pretty much the practical real world limit.
And all of these years living right in the center of the largest Coast Redwoods alive on the planet, I must now tell strangers to these parts that no longer do I live in a beautiful forest of spectacular trees; I now live in a thicket of shrubs.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 09:19 AM   #35
Imhotep
Muse

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
The stupidity has increased at an exponential rate since the advent of the internet.
Maybe this stuff has always been around, but now the true believers just have more of an ability to network and spread the crazy.

What are some good historical CTs that pre-date the internet? Off the top of my head:

Loch Ness Monster
Yeti / Bigfoot
UFOs
Superstitions, like salt over the shoulder or black cat etc.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 07:11 AM   #36
sts60
Master Poster

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
Called it almost two decades ago:
Originally Posted by Harlan Ellison
Goddammit! The world is just filling up with more and more idiots! And the computer is giving them access to the world! They're spreading their stupidity! At least they were contained before—now they're on the loose everywhere!
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 07:29 AM   #37
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Combine access with confirmation bias and suddenly we are in a world full of sticky idiocy.
Old 23rd November 2017, 07:34 AM   #38
sts60
Master Poster

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Combine access with confirmation bias and suddenly we are in a world full of sticky idiocy.
Add active disinformation from plutocrat-funded "AstroTurf" groups and Russian professional trolls and pets, and stir thoroughly for that extra awfulness.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2017, 09:35 AM   #39
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Yes the fruit cakes were once limited to 'letters to the editor' and those blue mimeograph sheets and now they can self publish, make youtube videos and of course bother people on social media and with websites/blogs.

A chaotic explosion of nuttiness
Old 24th November 2017, 10:43 AM   #40
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's the internet's greatest achievement and its greatest sin, removing geographical factors and 90% plus of "sunk cost" into getting ideas out there.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories