ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th October 2017, 08:48 PM   #1
wasapi
Illuminator

Conspiracy theoriest and intelligence?

Just curious. I know two men who are both consumed with conspiracy issues about - everything. Everything. It wouldn't surprise me if one of them claimed the FBI was controlling Big Foot.

The thing is, both men are quite intelligent and well educated. I apologize if this has been discussed, but I wonder if this is not unusual?
Old 16th October 2017, 02:35 AM   #2
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Just curious. I know two men who are both consumed with conspiracy issues about - everything. Everything. It wouldn't surprise me if one of them claimed the FBI was controlling Big Foot.

The thing is, both men are quite intelligent and well educated. I apologize if this has been discussed, but I wonder if this is not unusual?
Anecdotally you can find examples for anything on all sides of CT topics: dumb and smart, left and right, religious and agnostic, successful and failure, old and young, male and female, ...

The question is whether there are statistically significant differences between CTers and non-CTers. I am sure no study exists about CTers that has measured Intelligence as such, as in administering an IQ test. Some studies or polls have probably used education level.
Old 16th October 2017, 03:38 AM   #3
mikado
Graduate Poster

What about arrogance and that smug sense of being smarter than everyone else? Always suspected it's much more about that
Old 16th October 2017, 05:57 AM   #4
bknight
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by mikado View Post
What about arrogance and that smug sense of being smarter than everyone else? Always suspected it's much more about that
Along with distrust of large organizations over which the CT has no direct influence.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 10:22 AM   #5
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm an engineer. I've worked with any number of intelligent, competent engineers who believed ridiculous stuff. Intelligence does not protect against being a fool.

I, of course, believe that pumpkins should fly.
Old 16th October 2017, 10:32 AM   #6
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Conspiracy theories aren't "smarter." What they are is more organized, more neat and tidy, they follow a better narrative, have better balance, have a tighter three act structure.

They don't appeal to smart people per se, they appeal to people who need everything organized.

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong
JoeBentley is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 10:34 AM   #7
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm an engineer. I've worked with any number of intelligent, competent engineers who believed ridiculous stuff. Intelligence does not protect against being a fool.

I, of course, believe that pumpkins should do fly.
FTFY
Old 16th October 2017, 12:16 PM   #8
Axxman300
Master Poster

It's a character flaw.

When I was a salesman if found intelligent, educated people easier manipulate than folks who were street-smart. I'd appeal to their ego, make them feel smarter for shopping with me.

Street-smart folks expect everyone to be scammed and have their guard up.
Old 16th October 2017, 12:34 PM   #9
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

I would think that intelligence and conspiracism don't strongly correlate. The "leaders" in conspiracy movements (authors, lecturers, etc.) are probably more intelligent than average, but so are the leaders in every endeavor.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 01:04 PM   #10
mikado
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
It's a character flaw.

When I was a salesman if found intelligent, educated people easier manipulate than folks who were street-smart. I'd appeal to their ego, make them feel smarter for shopping with me.

Street-smart folks expect everyone to be scammed and have their guard up.
Yes exactly why more people with hugher I Q s are apparently to be found in cults
Old 16th October 2017, 11:44 PM   #11
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mikado View Post
Yes exactly why more people with hugher I Q s are apparently to be found in cults
Is that so?
Old 17th October 2017, 04:58 AM   #12
Arisia
Graduate Poster

I, of course, believe that pumpkins should fly.
Are you taking part in any big punkin' chunkin' competitions this fall?
Arisia is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 07:21 AM   #13
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arisia View Post
Are you taking part in any big punkin' chunkin' competitions this fall?
Already did, for some definition of "big". Then again, the actual big event in Delaware has been cancelled for the third time in four years.
Old 18th October 2017, 08:41 AM   #14
bknight
Critical Thinker

Already did, for some definition of "big". Then again, the actual big event in Delaware has been cancelled for the third time in four years.
Slightly off topic, but I had always viewed your avatar as a tepee, but after your latest few posts, it does look like a catapult (for launching pumpkins, no doubt)
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 08:49 AM   #15
HSienzant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
Slightly off topic, but I had always viewed your avatar as a tepee, but after your latest few posts, it does look like a catapult (for launching pumpkins, no doubt)
You mean it's not a giraffe going back and to left after its head was shot off?

Hank
Old 18th October 2017, 08:56 AM   #16
HSienzant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post

As some people convert from conspiracism (myself included) I doubt if there's any correlation. Personally, I am a high school dropout.

Hank
Old 18th October 2017, 01:28 PM   #17
bknight
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by HSienzant View Post
You mean it's not a giraffe going back and to left after its head was shot off?

Hank
LOL, could have been that also.
Old 19th October 2017, 03:11 PM   #18
Pope130
Master Poster

I wonder if it doesn't have more to do with the ability and need to form patterns from chaotic data than intelligence.
If your response to strangeness is: "That's weird, it must mean something." then you might be a CTist (or religious). If your response is "That seems weird, I wonder what's happening." then you might be an investigator. Or, if your response is "That's weird." and then go on with your life, you could be normal.
Higher intelligence could make this worse by increasing your ability to notice detail and form patterns.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 04:53 PM   #19
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
It's a trebuchet. And it's launching a pumpkin.
Old 19th October 2017, 05:57 PM   #20
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

One study linked social exclusion to conspiratorial thinking.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=317044
Old 21st October 2017, 11:21 AM   #21
phiwum
Philosopher

Eh, probably we're confusing "intelligence" and good critical thinking. And even then, a very intelligent man can be drawn into ridiculous conspiratorial thinking.

Alexandar Abian, if I remember correctly, was a well-respected mathematician. Few folk can be better candidates for careful thinking than a good mathematician (algebraist, I think). This is a man who should be among the most careful thinkers.

But what is he known for? Aside from his mathematical contributions, he was convinced that a great many evils on the earth are due to the influence of the moon and we ought to blow up Luna. Pardon me if I get the details wrong, but this is roughly right. He spent the last decade or two fruitlessly trying to convince folk that this is what ought to be done.

Now, he might be an outlier and I don't pretend to have evidence otherwise, but I have this notion that it's not intelligence to blame entirely for stupid theories. Sometimes, intelligent folk get a bean in their head that they can't get rid of, and this leads to ridiculous conclusions. Whether this changes the correlation one way or the other, I don't know.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 07:36 AM   #22
albie
Scholar

I was on the David Icke forum arguing against a forum advisor(like a mod but they get involved in discussions) He is a structural engineer. apparently. and said the twin towers would not have fallen. Not all of them are idiots. Or at least uneducated.

Incidentally this advisor banned me for a week when I simply pointed out that I had beat him on an issue. Corrupt place.

I think they are pretty average in intelligence with bursts of idiocy that feed their psychological needs. One thread on the DI forum was about how Kung Fu could take down the Illuminati. BWAHAHA. I fought and fought to make them see sense and that a man with a gun could take down any Bruce Lee. No. another forum advisor deleted all my posts that he could not answer.

Not so smart. But then who is? Many scientists believe in infinity.

Last edited by albie; 9th November 2017 at 07:44 AM.
albie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 07:41 AM   #23
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by albie View Post
He is a structural engineer. apparently. and said the twin towers would not have fallen. Not all of them are idiots. Or at least uneducated.
Did he have any evidence he was a structural engineer, rather than, say, a carpenter with delusions of competence?

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 07:49 AM   #24
albie
Scholar

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Did he have any evidence he was a structural engineer, rather than, say, a carpenter with delusions of competence?

Dave
No. But I have faith in humankind.

I have to say I find the same kind of biased thinking on a lot of forums. ahem.

Last edited by albie; 9th November 2017 at 07:52 AM.
albie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories