ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Today, 01:47 AM   #1881
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Dave,
#1. There is evidence -- you just don't think that it's worth anything. There are plenty of apparently intelligent people who disagree with you.
#2. But, you didn't answer the question. I asked, if you agreed with proposition A, would you agree with proposition B?
I think my irony meter just exploded.

Now I lay me down to sleep, a bag of peanuts at my feet.
If I die before I wake, give them to my brother Jake.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:50 AM   #1882
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
*zip*

1. How do I know your opinion of my post, or your opinions on this thread subject in general, are worth bothering myself about?
Only you can know. It is entirely up to your own arbitration.

Hans
Old Today, 02:53 AM   #1883
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
It's just the latest in this string of pseudo-mathematical musings. The argument was expressed earlier in better form as thus:

Let M be that we have a brain. Let S be that we have a brain and soul (and connection between these). S is a subset of M. Then the argument went: given that S is a subset of M therefor for any probability function P it is true that P(M) >= P(S). So they conclude that it is more likely that you don't have a soul than that you do. I'm sure you can find the glaring error in that argument.
The glaring error in this and many other arguments in this thread is the claim that you can, in any sensible way, apply mathematics to this subject at all.

Hans
Old Today, 02:54 AM   #1884
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Dave,
#1. There is evidence -- you just don't think that it's worth anything. There are plenty of apparently intelligent people who disagree with you.
#2. But, you didn't answer the question. I asked, if you agreed with proposition A, would you agree with proposition B?
What is a valid target?

Hans

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy