ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags World War II history

Old 17th July 2017, 06:20 AM   #201
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Fascism was no more opposed than communism. What was opposed was continued Nazi aggression in Europe.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 08:00 AM   #202
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Fascism was no more opposed than communism. What was opposed was continued Nazi aggression in Europe.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
That has to be true. Fascism flourished in Portugal and Italy, then in Spain, but these countries at first abstained from aggression in Europe (although they perpetrated it in Africa); and consequently remained unmolested by the Entente powers, or other European democracies.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 01:52 AM   #203
Henri McPhee
Graduate Poster

I didn't know until recently that there was a Spanish division on the Russian Front. I don't think that is given much publicity nowadays. That was in addition to the Italian and Rumanian and Croatian and Waffen SS troops from Belgium and Holland and, I think Norwegian troops, and of course Finland troops, which I did know about.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 01:57 AM   #204
Tolls
Illuminator

The division included Portuguese as well.

And then there were the SS volunteer units, which came from all over the place.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 04:30 AM   #205
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
I didn't know until recently that there was a Spanish division on the Russian Front. I don't think that is given much publicity nowadays. That was in addition to the Italian and Rumanian and Croatian and Waffen SS troops from Belgium and Holland and, I think Norwegian troops, and of course Finland troops, which I did know about.
Prior to these fascists' participation in the Nazi invasion, none of their countries had been at war with the USSR, except Finland which had been the victim, not the perpetrator, of aggression in that earlier conflict. These anti-Soviet interventions were done by puppet governments, responding to German pressure, or by individuals who were particularly attracted by Nazi aggression and triumphalism.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 09:40 AM   #206
Border Reiver
Philosopher

The Spanish or Blue Division was a German Army division manned by Spanish volunteers and to which the Portugese Legion was later attached.

The Norwegian unit was a unit of Norwegian, Danish and Swedish volunteers with the German SS. It was not a part of the Kingdom of Norway's military.

These units can be looked at in a similar way as the French Foreign Legion.

The Romanian, Italian, Croatian and Finnish units were part of those country's actual armies serving as allied forces with Nazi Germany.
Old 19th July 2017, 01:58 AM   #207
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
The Norwegian unit was a unit of Norwegian, Danish and Swedish volunteers with the German SS. It was not a part of the Kingdom of Norway's military.
The imaginatively named SS Viking division.
It included a couple of other countries volunteers as well.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 02:27 AM   #208
Henri McPhee
Graduate Poster

Hungarian forces were also involved in the invasion of Yugoslavia, and the Soviet Union in 1941.

There was a John Amery, who was the son of the politician Leo Amery, who made a speech in the Norway debate in 1940 in the House of Commons telling Chamberlain "You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing, depart I say and let us have done with you. In the name of God go." This despite the fact that Norway was Churchill's responsibility.

John Amery went to Germany in 1942 to recruit British and Commonwealth prisoners of war to join the Nazi army. He was an appeaser and he was hanged after the war.

There were about 8000 Ukrainian migrants to Britain after the war, who lived in places like Wimbledon, and who all categorically denied they were fleeing war criminals. I don't think that matter was ever properly or thoroughly investigated. I'm beginning to think Churchill and Eden were Big Soft Things.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM   #209
Henri McPhee
Graduate Poster

I can't quite see how you can say there was appeasement when Chamberlain was involved in rearmament at the time.
Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM   #210
Border Reiver
Philosopher

I can't quite see how you can say there was appeasement when Chamberlain was involved in rearmament at the time.
Who are you talking to, or to what statement are you responding?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts