ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 04:58 AM   #1041
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I would suggest that if he had found the God of Love BEFORE he turned violent, then the Son of Sam serial killings might never have happened.

I would also suggest that that book, the Bible, has a powerful message - for those who would hear it (properly).

And just why would Evangelical Christianity claim I am of Satan?
Seems just as likely he'd have claimed this god wanted him to kill people. History is replete with instances of god directed murder.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM   #1042
Johanabrahams
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Again: this is not a lesson, this is self aggrandizement.
Nope. I died.

A lesson would entail something like a goal and instructions how to attain it.
The goal is God. The instruction is to die.

All you have done is proclaim that you are a magical super being and that people who don't believe you are inferior. That is not how teaching works.
Nope. We all know that God is that "magical super being". We sure are inferior to Him. We are His creation. He is the Creator.
Johanabrahams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM   #1043
Johanabrahams
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Prove this grace exists. All you've established is that you ruined your real life and made a pretend life.
Nope. You missed it. I am "rubbish".
Johanabrahams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM   #1044
Johanabrahams
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
You writing down your failures and claiming to be a goddess does not a bible make.
You can call it what you want. It is still my life revealed. Something you fear to do.
Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM   #1045
Johanabrahams
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Seeing your other posts in this forum (and your own personal stuff you linked to) leads any reasonable skeptic to seek other input for verification. In other words, you really expect us to just take your word for it?
You missed "the personal stuff". That was personal stuff yes. But that was established in two forums. The "telephone forum". And the "e-mail forum". That "stuff" was established between all the parties speaking together while others were looking on. What is said between people you can believe if you know how to "listen". This is exactly what happens in a court where truth is established.

And this you rejected.

Nah. You're simply trying to dismiss other people's legitimate input and concern for things you're doing and saying by telling us, "yeah, but... gossip!"
Now this is the opposite. Here somebody went behind my back and spoke to somebody. And we have just his word for it. And you choose to rather believe what this person say. As I said. God has already made this "gossip".

And this you accepted.

Sorry lady but that's just not gonna fly here.
Well maybe not with you. Some see and some do not.
Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM   #1046
Johanabrahams
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Beady View Post
Do you really believe that people read your walls of text?

This signature is intended to irritate people.
Some were in dire need of teaching. They repeatedly asked for more. So they got enough to last for a long time.
Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM   #1047
Beady
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Johanabrahams View Post
Some were in dire need of teaching. They repeatedly asked for more. So they got enough to last for a long time.
You just described EColi.

This signature is intended to irritate people.
Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM   #1048
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Certainly enough laughs.
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM   #1049
Marcus
Master Poster

Even if God is imaginary, it gives people the sense they are never alone and abandoned.
It is for this reason that I don't begrudge people their imaginary friends, especially if they are dying. I have known several older people who got comfort from this fantasy in their last days. Although most knew I didn't share their beliefs, I also didn't contradict them or argue with them.

However, some of us are prepared to go to our deaths with eyes wide open, without needing to pretend that we will live forever.
Marcus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM   #1050
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
It is for this reason that I don't begrudge people their imaginary friends, especially if they are dying. I have known several older people who got comfort from this fantasy in their last days. Although most knew I didn't share their beliefs, I also didn't contradict them or argue with them.

However, some of us are prepared to go to our deaths with eyes wide open, without needing to pretend that we will live forever.
You might be wrong. I accept that I do not know. That is "eyes wide open". You are just gritting your teeth and telling yourself it will all be over.
Old Yesterday, 11:57 PM   #1051
Explorer
Graduate Poster

You might be wrong. I accept that I do not know. That is "eyes wide open". You are just gritting your teeth and telling yourself it will all be over.
None of us choose to be born, and death is not a choice either, well for most of us, so what's new?

Our personal deaths are not really important in the scheme of things, but what we do with our brief lives while we exist, is. My advice is to spend more time using whatever talents you have for the betterment of this planet, rather than postulating and worrying about an unknown, but natural and an inevitable end event.
Explorer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:19 AM   #1052
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

You can call it what you want. It is still my life revealed. Something you fear to do.
I would hardly call a lack of narcissism fear.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:21 AM   #1053
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Nope. You missed it. I am "rubbish".
Your words, not mine.
Old Today, 04:05 AM   #1054
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
None of us choose to be born, and death is not a choice either, well for most of us, so what's new?

Our personal deaths are not really important in the scheme of things, but what we do with our brief lives while we exist, is. My advice is to spend more time using whatever talents you have for the betterment of this planet, rather than postulating and worrying about an unknown, but natural and an inevitable end event.
Nommed
Old Today, 10:32 AM   #1055
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Explorer View Post

Good advice. Jesus used his talents and made a huge impact on the planet.

I have made very good use of my time here (materially and spiritually), and plan to continue doing so.

Part of my journey is a search for the Truth (this is one of the basic tenets of Buddhism and Taoism). Enlighten myself, follow a Right path and help others.
Old Today, 11:44 AM   #1056
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I have made very good use of my time here (materially and spiritually), and plan to continue doing so.

Part of my journey is a search for the Truth (this is one of the basic tenets of Buddhism and Taoism). Enlighten myself, follow a Right path and help others.
According to christians, Buddhism and Taoism are of Satan also.

You sure are racking up the sins there, PartSkeptic.
Old Today, 12:05 PM   #1057
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

No. You've demonstrated your journey is one of misinformation and blind unwarranted faith along with now, apparently, light proselytizing.
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:28 PM   #1058
Marcus
Master Poster

Part of my journeyis a search for the Truth (this is one of the basic tenets of Buddhism and Taoism). Enlighten myself, follow a Right path and help others.
What was that movie, "You can't handle the truth!". Well perhaps you can. You say you are not sure, so there is hope for you yet. You may eventually realize there are no supernatural beings waiting for you. Our time here is all the more special because there is no eternal playground for the Second Act.
Marcus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy