ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , NFL incidents , protest incidents , sports controversies , sports incidents , Trump controversies

Reply
Old 13th September 2018, 03:28 PM   #1361
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing
 
alfaniner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 18,849
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Nike stocks highest ever.
Nike socks highest ever.
__________________
Science is self-correcting.
Woo is self-contradicting.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 04:18 PM   #1362
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 22,619
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
They make jackboots too.

Here is a picture of Nike jack boots as sold on Amazon.

I think something was lost in the translation. Nazi thugs wouldn't look quite the same in these.

They don't seem to offer anything in adult sizes. That too might present a problem.
__________________
"It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it."
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

Last edited by quadraginta; 13th September 2018 at 04:27 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 04:41 PM   #1363
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 18,129
Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
How many times do you think that happened in the past? Many times I am sure.
You are right, but it gives the lie to Trumps claims regarding Nike popularity and stocks.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 05:05 PM   #1364
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 41,849
Frankly, some of the haters of the protesters here are pushing a new McCarthysim, complete with lies and over the top rhetoric.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 06:55 PM   #1365
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,460
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Frankly, some of the haters of the protesters here are pushing a new McCarthysim, complete with lies and over the top rhetoric.
What do you expect given their Dur Leader is a disciple of McCarthy's lawyer?
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 01:14 AM   #1366
Parsman
Muse
 
Parsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Posts: 571
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Here is a picture of Nike jack boots as sold on Amazon.

I think something was lost in the translation. Nazi thugs wouldn't look quite the same in these.

They don't seem to offer anything in adult sizes. That too might present a problem.
Nah they have feet to match the hands of their hero. The American one, not the German one I hasten to add.
__________________
I was not; I have been; I am not; I am content - Epicurus

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 04:41 PM   #1367
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,751
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
They don't seem to offer anything in adult sizes. That too might present a problem.
If only their shoe size was the same as their IQ....
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2018, 08:44 AM   #1368
autumn1971
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,504
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
If only their shoe size was the same as their IQ....
Shoe sizes don’t go that small
__________________
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 03:29 PM   #1369
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,460
Great day for Nike stock. Up another $2,00. Bought at $80.20. Now trading at $85.26.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 03:39 PM   #1370
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 22,619
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Great day for Nike stock. Up another $2,00. Bought at $80.20. Now trading at $85.26.

Leaching off of the misery of outraged Trump supporters. Truly vile.
__________________
"It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it."
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 04:41 PM   #1371
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 23,623
History will not be kind to Kaep's opponents. Here you have a nice young man who committed the sin of hating police brutality. That's it. And because of that he gets kicked out of his profession and turned into a reviled figure.
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 04:49 PM   #1372
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,460
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
History will not be kind to Kaep's opponents. Here you have a nice young man who committed the sin of hating police brutality. That's it. And because of that he gets kicked out of his profession and turned into a reviled figure.
I would love it if he won his collusion case. Pull an Al Davis on the NFL. Triple damages.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 03:21 AM   #1373
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster
 
Slings and Arrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,743
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
History will not be kind to Kaep's opponents.

"You have Hillary who has called black teens or black kids super-predators. I mean, we have a presidential candidate who's deleted emails and done things illegally, and is a presidential candidate. That doesn't make sense to me, because if that was any other person, you'd be in prison."
-- Colin Kaepernick (Sept 17, 2016)
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 04:27 AM   #1374
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 39,354
Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
"You have Hillary who has called black teens or black kids super-predators. I mean, we have a presidential candidate who's deleted emails and done things illegally, and is a presidential candidate. That doesn't make sense to me, because if that was any other person, you'd be in prison."
-- Colin Kaepernick (Sept 17, 2016)
And your point?

Oh, I see. You think that everything is partisan partisan partisan and progressives - the largest support group for Kaepernick - are in lock-step agreement with Hillary Rodham Clinton? You and reality,... you have like only a passing acquaintance, right?
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 04:47 AM   #1375
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 76,590
Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
"You have Hillary who has called black teens or black kids super-predators. I mean, we have a presidential candidate who's deleted emails and done things illegally, and is a presidential candidate. That doesn't make sense to me, because if that was any other person, you'd be in prison."
-- Colin Kaepernick (Sept 17, 2016)
She didn't call black kids super-predators, and she has not been indicted or found guilty of a crime.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 05:15 AM   #1376
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 15,038
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I would love it if he won his collusion case. Pull an Al Davis on the NFL. Triple damages.
I would rather he lose because it comes out that the owners didn't collude.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 08:08 AM   #1377
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,460
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I would rather he lose because it comes out that the owners didn't collude.
They colluded. And they still are. I'm a huge football fan. But the business of sports is incredibly corrupt. I dont think Kaepernick is a top 5 quarterback. But I have no doubt he's at least a top 30 QB. If not a top 20 QB. That he hasn't been quickly snatched up as a backup is ridiculous.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 08:28 AM   #1378
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 15,038
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
They colluded. And they still are. I'm a huge football fan. But the business of sports is incredibly corrupt. I dont think Kaepernick is a top 5 quarterback. But I have no doubt he's at least a top 30 QB. If not a top 20 QB. That he hasn't been quickly snatched up as a backup is ridiculous.
My preference is they didn't collude.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 08:35 AM   #1379
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,460
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
My preference is they didn't collude.
I'm not sure preference has anything to do with it. Either they did or they didn't. It's either an amazing coincidence that a 31 year old healthy Super Bowl QB can't get even a backup job in the NFL or it isn't.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 09:21 AM   #1380
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 76,590
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
My preference is they didn't collude.
My preference is being a billionaire.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 09:39 AM   #1381
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,460
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
My preference is being a billionaire.
My preference is being a trillionaire...so there.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 03:59 PM   #1382
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,460
Damn, Nike took a beating AFTER I sold the stock @ $84.50. It closed at $84.76 so I didn't time it perfectly, but not bad. So if that holds it will open tomorrow at about $81. I don't get it. Share prices dropped 4 percent and this was after a 10 percent growth in sales and 15 percent growth in profit. I expect to re buy the stock in the morning. Sometimes I don't understand the market. What the hell were analysts expecting?
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 05:36 PM   #1383
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 23,623
Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
"You have Hillary who has called black teens or black kids super-predators. I mean, we have a presidential candidate who's deleted emails and done things illegally, and is a presidential candidate. That doesn't make sense to me, because if that was any other person, you'd be in prison."
-- Colin Kaepernick (Sept 17, 2016)

Yeah, he bought into some BS about Hillary. Doesn't take away from the fact that he is right that police brutality is out of control.
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 06:21 PM   #1384
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 15,038
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'm not sure preference has anything to do with it. Either they did or they didn't. It's either an amazing coincidence that a 31 year old healthy Super Bowl QB can't get even a backup job in the NFL or it isn't.
I would prefer that it was a coincidence.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 07:55 PM   #1385
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,413
Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
"You have Hillary who has called black teens or black kids super-predators. I mean, we have a presidential candidate who's deleted emails and done things illegally, and is a presidential candidate. That doesn't make sense to me, because if that was any other person, you'd be in prison."
-- Colin Kaepernick (Sept 17, 2016)
Uh...

Before you pretend to care about black people, have you considered not telling moldy old rape jokes?
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2018, 04:14 AM   #1386
newyorkguy
Philosopher
 
newyorkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 9,611
I voted for Hillary Clinton (and would do so again). I also voted for her when she was running as US Senator for New York and thought she did a great job as our Senator. Obviously, I don't agree with Kapernick's comments regarding Hillary but I don't have any big problem with him making them, nor would I want to see him retaliated against because of them.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2018, 04:28 AM   #1387
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,527
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I voted for Hillary Clinton (and would do so again). I also voted for her when she was running as US Senator for New York and thought she did a great job as our Senator. Obviously, I don't agree with Kapernick's comments regarding Hillary but I don't have any big problem with him making them, nor would I want to see him retaliated against because of them.
This kind of thought process makes no sense to Trump supporters. Cult members all tend to think alike and think what their leaders tells them. Not agreeing with everything a person says is strange to them.
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2018, 12:32 PM   #1388
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian
 
LSSBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: An elusive house at Bachelors Grove Cemetery
Posts: 19,838
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Uh...

Before you pretend to care about black people, have you considered not telling moldy old rape jokes?
Some people can't help but try to score points against caricatures of who they think their opponents are.
__________________
"You must not let your need to be right be more important than your need to find out what's true." - Ray Dalio, Principles
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:51 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.