ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Denmark cases , murder cases , Peter Madsen

Old 21st September 2018, 12:27 AM   #201
KDLarsen
Illuminator

I can't imagine there will be much more to add, once the high court announces the verdict. As the case has been decided in the county and high courts, an appeal to the supreme court would require permission from the Appeals Permission Board, and on the face of it I can't imagine what would cause them to approve it.

As it's only the sentence that has been appealed, we already know that Peter Madsen will be going away for a very long time (by Danish standards, anyway), and if the case of Peter Lundin is anything to go by, only the tabloids will take a remote interest in the future happenings around him.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2018, 05:28 AM   #202
dann
Philosopher

The tabloids will continue to supply you with what they consider it to be your 'right to know': new girlfriends, assaults by other inmates etc.
Peter Madsen overfaldet i fængslet: Sådan skete det (Sep. 6, 2018) "Peter Madsen attacked in jail: This is what happened"
Peter Lundin overfaldet igen (Apr. 16, 2002) "Peter Lundin attacked again"
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2018, 08:13 AM   #203
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Which I why I don't bother with tabloids in the first place.

It's polishing my own halo perhaps, but I haven't read Ekstra Bladet or been to their website for well over 3 years now.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2018, 10:19 AM   #204
dann
Philosopher

I think it's important to know what the majority of the population read and watch. And in the case of guys like Peter Madsen and Peter Lundin, there are actually aspects of their personalities and behaviour that aren't really covered by serious newsmedia, all the sloppy details that make them what they are. There are even aspects of the penal system in Denmark that you also wouldn't know about if you read only Information or Weekendavisen. They may tell you every little detail about people like Milena Penkowa, but the details in cases like that are of little concern to the people who read the tabloids. They have nothing to do with that world.
People of a certain class don't really need to know about those details in the cases of Peter Madsen and Peter Lundin. And, unfortunately, people of the lower classes tend to revel in them and lose sight of the bigger picture. There's a reason why ordinary people love to read about outlaw bikers, which is the reason why tabloids like Ekstra Bladet are full of stories about them - and often behind pay walls because people are so eager to read about them.
The current gang shoot outs (in peaceful Denmark) take place at Nørrebro, not Gentofte ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2018, 03:44 PM   #205
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Just to set the record straight, I'm currently living in Vollsmose and working a lower class job that is under a beginning threat of automation. I don't read either Information or Weekendavision, I get my news from Jyllands-Posten and DR. My decision not to read Ekstra Bladet has nothing to do with class snobbery, it's a decision based on some of their editiorial decisions over the years, which eventually culminated in my decision to boycott them.
Old 23rd September 2018, 12:15 AM   #206
dann
Philosopher

You misunderstand me if you think that what I described was class snobbery. For instance, I don't see my colleagues reading B.T. or Ekstra Bladet, not because they are snobs, but because they just aren't interested in the things they write about. (In the teachers' lounge we have Politiken, Berlingske and Information.)

Recently, I have been pretty disappointed with the Danish media in general. They very soon picked up the stories in the New York Times about alleged microwave weapons in Cuba and one week later when NBC News claimed that Russia was behind the attacks, but when the Washington Post interviewed actual scientists about the validity of the microwave idea, it wasn't mentioned in the Danish papers at all (= I haven't found it anywhere).

And this is how DR treated it: Forskere mistænker mikrobølgevåben i sagen om mystiske hjerneskader hos diplomater i Cuba (Sep. 3, 2018) They didn't mention it one week later when the WP debunked the story.
Ingeniøren is the only one that has been consistently reliable in this context: Forskere graver i lydangreb på amerikanske diplomater (April 23, 2018) Not because they are interested in Cuba-U.S relations, but because they are interested in the technological implications of the different ideas that have been presented!

And it's probably not even a question of bias when DR doesn't follow up on the NYT story. It's probably a lack of interest: 'It's Cuba. Who really cares what's going on?!'
In the USA, the Miami Herald has presented news about this case that you wouldn't find in other newspapers. Not because they are biased in favour of Cuba in Miami. On the contrary. But they are interested enough in the theme to do a little investigative journalism so they discover things that other newspapers just don't care enough about. Reporting what Tillerson or Pompeo claims seems to be what journalism amounts to in most cases.
Old 26th September 2018, 06:02 AM   #207
KDLarsen
Illuminator

The high court has confirmed the sentence of life imprisonment.
Old 26th September 2018, 11:54 PM   #208
dann
Philosopher

He also has to pay reparations to Kim Wall's parents and her fiancee.
Danish appeals court upholds submarine killer's life sentence (The Local, Sep. 26, 2018)
Kim Wall murder: Peter Madsen loses appeal against life term (BBC, Sep. 26, 2018)
Madsen’s life sentence to stand rules high court (CPH Post, Sep. 26, 2018)
Old 11th October 2018, 07:58 AM   #209
dann
Philosopher

Hollywood Reporter today:

Quote:
Lindholm will dramatize the murder investigation of Swedish journalist Kim Wall, the so-called submarine murder, together with the man who solved it, homicide detective Jens Moller.
’Borgen,’ ’Mindhunter’ Writer Tobias Lindholm to Adapt Kim Wall Murder as Miniseries

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors