ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 8th November 2018, 09:06 AM   #3241
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Okay, you are free to panic about a lack of hand-holding if you like. I'll take solace in the fact that everybody else has responded like the capable adults I assumed they were, and have proven themselves capable of reading 22 tweets of no more than 280 characters each without getting lost and confused.

Artist's impression of The Big Dog, yesterday:
Wow, hopefully you have learned something then? Like reading the tweet storms before you inflict incompetent links on the thread?

Everyone else responded like they did because i immediately posted that the link you tried to foist on them was a dumpster fire.

And you still never thanked me.

Oh well.

Thanks TBD

-M. Avenatti
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 09:06 AM   #3242
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
In a Democracy an at least somewhat engaged, informed, and at least trying to do the good as best they can populace is the ultimate check and balance and the ultimate 4th Branch.
I'd go a bit further. No democracy can survive without having an engaged and informed electorate.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 09:11 AM   #3243
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
There isn't a legal means. It appears that the USA checks and balances was partly based on the premise that good, honorable people who wanted the best for the country would be elected to high office.
Ha! Shows them right for misjudging humanity.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 09:38 AM   #3244
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Wow, hopefully you have learned something then?
No, I've long known of the kind of inane nonsense you like to peddle.

Last edited by Squeegee Beckenheim; 8th November 2018 at 09:45 AM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 09:41 AM   #3245
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/cnnadam/status/1060552948529459200

Quote:
NEW: Mueller's team has begun writing its final report, multiple sources told CNN - @evanperez @PamelaBrownCNN @LauraAJarrett @SaraMurray
This seems very unlikely to me, unless Mueller really doesn't see any way forwards with Whitaker at the helm, but we'll see.
Old 8th November 2018, 09:52 AM   #3246
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Quite a lot of tidbits in this article

The key claims are:
  • If Mueller's investigation is ended, the House Democrats are likely to call him to Capitol Hill to testify as to his findings, live on television.
  • Democrats will pass on transcripts from the Congressional probe to Mueller, for him to determine whether or not there was any perjury.
  • They will be looking in to whether or not Trump ordered Cohen to break campaign finance laws.
  • They will re-open the Congressional Russia probe.
Old 8th November 2018, 02:48 PM   #3247
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

This article, by a certain Conway's husband, makes the argument that even if Sessions resigned and the Vacancies Reform Act was invoked, Whitaker is illegitimate. Napolitano on Fox said the same.

I haven't heard any Democrats making this argument, so I'm not sure how accurate it is. This article gives a long overview of the issues, but it would takes months at least for a court to decide the issue. It seems like a genuinely open question.
Old 8th November 2018, 03:17 PM   #3248
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

On top of all the other quotes from Whitaker:

Quote:
“There is no case for obstruction of justice because the president has all the power of the executive and delegates that to people like the FBI director and the attorney general…The president could and has in our nation’s history said stop investigating this person or please investigate this other person.” Whitaker belittled talk about obstruction of justice in this case as “hyperventilation.”

In another radio interview on the day of the Comey testimony, Whittaker dissed the Mueller investigation, remarking, “There’s really nothing here.” And he explicitly said Trump had the right to shut it down or control its direction: “This is power that is completely vested in the president…If he wanted to he could have told Jim [Comey] to stop investigating former [Defense Intelligence Agency] director Flynn. And he didn’t…I’m sure he made his preference known. Quite frankly, he’s president of the United States. He can do that.” Whitaker conceded that it might be fair to characterize such a presidential demand as “inappropriate,” but he insisted it would well be within Trump’s prerogatives.
Linky.
Old 8th November 2018, 03:20 PM   #3249
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
On top of all the other quotes from Whitaker:

Linky.
Welp. So much for Democracy.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 03:48 PM   #3250
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
This article, by a certain Conway's husband, makes the argument that even if Sessions resigned and the Vacancies Reform Act was invoked, Whitaker is illegitimate. Napolitano on Fox said the same.

I haven't heard any Democrats making this argument, so I'm not sure how accurate it is. This article gives a long overview of the issues, but it would takes months at least for a court to decide the issue. It seems like a genuinely open question.
A little more:

Quote:
Even John Yoo, a law professor at the University of California-Berkeley who helped the George W. Bush administration draft its expansive claims to executive power, says the Whitaker appointment may be out of line.

"The Constitution says that principal officers must go through appointment with the advice and consent of the Senate. In Morrison v. Olson, the Supreme Court made clear that the Attorney General is a principal officer. Therefore, Whittaker cannot serve as acting Attorney General despite the Vacancies Act (which does provide for him to be acting AG) ó the statute is unconstitutional when applied in this way."
Old 8th November 2018, 06:19 PM   #3251
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I've never seen an innocent man try so hard to stop and discredit an investigation that would prove his innocence as Trump.

Lots of rallies protesting Whitaker's appointment to acting AG. Trump sure can pick 'em.

Can anyone think of an Obama appointment that engendered rallies in the street protesting it?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 03:13 AM   #3252
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Another legal expert weighs in on why Whitaker's appointment is almost certainly illegal
Old 9th November 2018, 03:28 AM   #3253
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Who is the admistrationís top leagal counsel? Maybe they could lay out the legality or otherwise of this arrangement.
Old 9th November 2018, 03:38 AM   #3254
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Sure, the question of the legality of Whitaker's appointment is far from settled.
But it might take the Supreme Court to make a final ruling - and Whitaker might not be in the job for that long.
Old 9th November 2018, 04:06 AM   #3255
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Foregone conclusion that they would back Whitaker's appointment.
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Sure, the question of the legality of Whitaker's appointment is far from settled.
But it might take the Supreme Court to make a final ruling - and Whitaker might not be in the job for that long.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 05:12 AM   #3256
3point14
Pi

Is it that case that all issues of import will end up in some way before the supreme court?

If that's the case then given the make up of the supreme court, the actual legal position doesn't matter, the SC will fall on the side of Trump and co.
Old 9th November 2018, 05:25 AM   #3257
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/DebraMessing/sta...79434577932288

Quote:
Matthew Whitaker explaining WHY Sessions HAD to Recuse himself because of the “appearance of impropriety.” He is ALSO explaining why HE must RECUSE HIMSELF in the Russia investigation in his new role as AG.
Video embedded in tweet.
Old 9th November 2018, 08:14 AM   #3258
crescent
Master Poster

Whitaker backlash prompts concern at the White House

Quote:
Several senior officials told CNN they were surprised by the criticism, and believe it could potentially jeopardize Whitaker's chances of remaining in the post if it continues to dominate headlines.
Quote:
...a source close to the President told CNN that the idea of Whitaker ending or suppressing the Russia probe is not an option as of now.
Quote:
It was not widely known among White House staff that he'd commented repeatedly on the special counsel's investigation in interviews and on television -- which is ironic given that this is what drew President Donald Trump to him....
Trump often seems to be playing a different game than his staff members.

Some of the strongest arguments against Whitaker's appointment are being made by George Conway - husband of one of Trump's closest confidants and strongest defenders, Kellyanne Conway. One would love to be a fly on the wall and listen to the dinnertime conversation in the Conway household.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 08:33 AM   #3259
SuburbanTurkey
Muse

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Whitaker backlash prompts concern at the White House

Trump often seems to be playing a different game than his staff members.

Some of the strongest arguments against Whitaker's appointment are being made by George Conway - husband of one of Trump's closest confidants and strongest defenders, Kellyanne Conway. One would love to be a fly on the wall and listen to the dinnertime conversation in the Conway household.
Kellyanne: Did you get paid a huge pile of money today, George?

George: Indeed

Kellyanne: Me too.
Old 9th November 2018, 08:42 AM   #3260
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post

Or

George: Nice day at the office?

Kellyanne: Screams.

30 minutes past

Kellyanne stops screaming

George: Oh glad it was a good day.
Old 9th November 2018, 09:01 AM   #3261
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Indeed - only one person in that relationship is enjoying their job.
Old 9th November 2018, 09:18 AM   #3262
crescent
Master Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post

Or

30 minutes past

or:

(in the basement)

George: I've been a naughty, naughty little liberal boy.

Kellyanne: (smiles and slaps the riding crop into the palm of her hand...). Naughty liberals must be punished!

ETA: (I would not want to be a fly on the wall of THAT conversation. No, most certainly not.)

Last edited by crescent; 9th November 2018 at 09:19 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 09:33 AM   #3263
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I've never seen an innocent man try so hard to stop and discredit an investigation that would prove his innocence as Trump.
What about Kavanaugh?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 09:56 AM   #3264
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

or:

(in the basement)

Kellyanne: (smiles and slaps the riding crop into the palm of her hand...). Naughty liberals must be punished!
Must . . . gouge . . . out . . . mind's . . . eye . . .
Old 9th November 2018, 10:46 AM   #3265
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

If you really want to know, then this article should be enlightening. There's even a bit where she tries to talk off the record as someone close to their marriage, but after she'd already waived the right to talk off the record.
Old 9th November 2018, 11:07 AM   #3266
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The fact that Trump pretends not to know Whitaker is a clear indication that the White House is aware that Recusal would be the appropriate thing to do: if there is any evidence of Whitaker and Trump talking about the AG post in private, and Whitaker doesn't recuse, it would be another case of Obstruction by both of them.
So Trump has to play dumb(er) for Whitaker to even have a shot at staying Acting-AG long enough to affect anything.
Old 9th November 2018, 11:17 AM   #3267
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/...56794023260160

Quote:
Matthew Whitaker has suddenly protected his tweets after I started sharing all the Russia and Putin tweets of his dating all the way back to 2010
Old 9th November 2018, 11:22 AM   #3268
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

or:

(in the basement)

ETA: (I would not want to be a fly on the wall of THAT conversation. No, most certainly not.)
Whoever has the brain bleach, over here next.
Old 9th November 2018, 11:38 AM   #3269
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Yeah, Trump's picked another winner.
Old 9th November 2018, 12:38 PM   #3270
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

One of Trump's problems..and I guess we should be thankful for it...is he does not know the meaning of the word "subtle". Rather then pick a outspoken critic of the Murller investigation he should have picked somebody who did not have that record, but would do whatever Trump told him to do.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 12:40 PM   #3271
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Senate Majority Leader Sen. Mitch McConnell is going to block a bill to protect Robert Mueller by not allowing it to come up for a vote.

McConnell said of the bill to protect Mueller, “It’s not necessary. The Mueller investigation is not under threat."

https://www.politicususa.com/2018/11...t-mueller.html
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 01:26 PM   #3272
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I was sure that there is a special place in Hell reserved for Mitch McConnell, but then he pulls some extra heinous ****, which requires the Satanic Hoards to remodel his personal hell again and again.
Old 9th November 2018, 01:27 PM   #3273
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I was sure that there is a special place in Hell reserved for Mitch McConnell, but then he pulls some extra heinous ****, which requires the Satanic Hoards to remodel his personal hell again and again.

That's okay, I'm sure they have no shortage of contractors.
Old 9th November 2018, 02:03 PM   #3274
Parsman
Muse

And I bet the Devil pays his contractors, unlike certain POTUS of orange hue.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 02:47 PM   #3275
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Senate Majority Leader Sen. Mitch McConnell is going to block a bill to protect Robert Mueller by not allowing it to come up for a vote.

McConnell said of the bill to protect Mueller, ďItís not necessary. The Mueller investigation is not under threat."
Remember, the only reason McConnell can do the things he does is because the republicans in the Senate let him.

If there were actually principled republican congressmen, they'd stand up to him.... "Pass a law protecting Mueller or we won't confirm any more appointments". "Don't make us confirm Drunky McRapeface for the supreme court unless you do a real investigation into his past".

But the fact is, even republicans who claim to be moderates, at the end of the day usually line up to vote with the rest of the Republicans. Flake, Collins, Corker... they're all the same.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 02:49 PM   #3276
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

To no one in particular.

A growing list of excuses why you might technically not be wrong will never add up to a single, positive reason you are right.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 03:19 PM   #3277
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Always bet on stupid with this administration.
Quote:
Trump, who has frequently dismissed that probe as a "witch hunt," feigned ignorance of Whitaker's background.

"I don't know Matt Whitaker," Trump told reporters on Friday as he left the White House for a trip to Paris. "Matt Whitaker worked for Jeff Sessions. And he was always extremely highly thought of and he still is. But I didn't know Matt Whitaker."

In fact, Trump has met with his handpicked appointee more than a dozen times. As Sessions' chief of staff, Whitaker reportedly accompanied his boss to the Oval Office on multiple occasions.

"Matt Whitaker is a great guy. I mean, I know Matt Whitaker," Trump told Fox News last month. At the time, Trump also sidestepped questions about whether he was preparing to get rid of Sessions.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 05:22 PM   #3278
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's being reported that Manafort is not co-operating fully with Mueller, which may go badly for him when time comes for sentencing
Old 9th November 2018, 06:04 PM   #3279
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Or

30 minutes past

If she hasn't been wearing a wire for Mueller this whole time, I don't give a damn how hard she finds it to kiss Trump's ass.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 06:49 PM   #3280
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
What about Kavanaugh?
Kavanaugh comes in second to Trump.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics