ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Kentucky incidents , school shootings , shooting incidents

Old 21st September 2018, 10:32 AM   #681
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Another gun owner who was law-abiding right up until the point at which she was not.
To be fair, that's true of everyone regardless of crime or method.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2018, 12:15 AM   #682
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
A black woman shot 3 people dead and injured 3 others before killing herself at her workplace in Aberdeen, Maryland. She appears to be transgender or a woman that looks like a man.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Maryland.html
What the flipping heck? She doesn't look like a man at all.
Old 23rd September 2018, 09:58 AM   #683
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
She has short hair, what more do you want?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 09:42 AM   #684
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

It's the Daily Fail, what do you expect?
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 09:54 AM   #685
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

This person looks like a man to me.

Last edited by William Parcher; 24th September 2018 at 09:56 AM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 09:54 AM   #686
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I would think this was a man, though:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2...7474251052.jpg

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 09:58 AM   #687
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Imagine if this person had done the shootings and then slipped away. Then the cops are told that they are to be looking for a woman.
Old 24th September 2018, 01:25 PM   #688
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Oh, she changed her gender in advance to get away from the cops !?
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 03:57 AM   #689
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Imagine if this person had done the shootings and then slipped away. Then the cops are told that they are to be looking for a woman.
Honestly she looks very feminine to me. If you told me it was a male I'd be surprised.
Old 25th September 2018, 04:06 AM   #690
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Honestly she looks very feminine to me. If you told me it was a male I'd be surprised.
You must have had quite a struggle as a teenager at your local disco.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 09:08 AM   #691
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Are you saying that this person appears to be a very feminine female?
Old 26th September 2018, 01:58 AM   #692
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Are you saying that this person appears to be a very feminine female?
Yes.
Old 26th September 2018, 05:31 PM   #693
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

What does their gender have to do with anything anyway? Would they be any more or less trustworthy if they were trans?
Old 27th September 2018, 11:28 PM   #694
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
She has short hair, what more do you want?

No bosom at all ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2018, 11:30 PM   #695
dann
Philosopher

What does their gender have to do with anything anyway?

With the shooting?! Not much, probably.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2018, 03:12 AM   #696
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

What does their gender have to do with anything anyway? Would they be any more or less trustworthy if they were trans?
Was thinking the same thing
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2018, 06:28 AM   #697
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Well, if the police told me to look for a black female, I would not report seeing Snochia in the area, as she looks male to me. I would report not seeing any females matching the description.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 04:55 PM   #698
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by CNN
One law enforcement officer was killed and four others were injured in a shooting Wednesday in Florence, South Carolina, according to CNN affiliate WMBF.

The active shooter incident, which took place in a residential area, ended when the suspect surrendered to deputies after talking with a negotiator, Florence County Sheriff's Office Chief Deputy Glenn Kirby told CNN affiliate WBTW. He was taken to a hospital, Kirby said.

A 20-year-old male in the home was also injured, according to Kirby.

Three of the officers who were shot are Florence County Sheriff's deputies and two are members of the Florence police force, Kirby said, according to CNN affiliates.

The officer who died is a Florence officer, WMBF said...
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/03/us/ac...ina/index.html
Old 3rd October 2018, 06:17 PM   #699
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Reports are now saying that 7 police were shot with 1 being killed. It was an attempt to serve an arrest warrant.
Old 4th October 2018, 12:10 PM   #700
Ranb
Philosopher

More details.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/...2QG?ocid=ientp

Quote:
Records show Hopkins, 74, is a disabled Vietnam veteran and disbarred lawyer who has faced several charges in recent years, including a 2014 count of disorderly conduct.

Authorities have not described what weapons were involved, but Hopkins apparently owned several guns. A 2014 post on his Facebook page said he celebrated his 70th birthday at a shooting range by repeatedly firing his M-14 rifle, set up exactly like the one he used in Vietnam.

"I have been shooting competitively since 1984 and lovin' it. I just love the smell of gunpowder in the mornin's," said the post. Other posts from 2016 show images of rifles set up on what looks like a range and say he was the "South Carolina 3-Gun Silhouette Champion for 2011."
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2018, 08:31 AM   #701
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Pittsburgh - multiple fatalities (Some headlines say "at least eight")
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2018, 08:40 AM   #702
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

https://wp.me/p14KP8-2Vdh

8 dead, more wounded when a white guy shouting "all Jews must die" started shooting up a synagogue.
Old 27th October 2018, 03:24 PM   #703
Kestrel
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
https://wp.me/p14KP8-2Vdh

8 dead, more wounded when a white guy shouting "all Jews must die" started shooting up a synagogue.
I fear we are in for a rash of similar attacks. Right wing warriors lashing out as America turns away from thie leader they worship.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2018, 03:26 PM   #704
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

In (some degree of) fairness I do legit wonder what the violent crime statistics are going to be like for Trump's first year in office.

Violent crime has been on a pretty steady downswing for a while now, through both Democratic and Republican administrations while the instances have been garnering more media attention.

I wonder if that's still true or not.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2018, 03:51 PM   #705
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
In (some degree of) fairness I do legit wonder what the violent crime statistics are going to be like for Trump's first year in office.

Violent crime has been on a pretty steady downswing for a while now, through both Democratic and Republican administrations while the instances have been garnering more media attention.

I wonder if that's still true or not.
Doesn't matter anything sloghtly negative and he rants about "fake news" and his supporters slurp up his bull **** like it's mana from heaven and spew out conspiracy theories with the brown taint still freshly surrounding their mouths, and then they blame everyone else for their sickness. Trump is a cult. No sense no logic, just cheap slogans and phrases.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2018, 04:45 PM   #706
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Death toll in the Pittsburg shooting is up to 11.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/gunman-sto...225631566.html

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2018, 02:32 AM   #707
dann
Philosopher

The synagogue shooting is also being discussed here: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...8#post12481328
Old 8th November 2018, 02:02 PM   #708
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

13 dead in California bar. Ex marine.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 03:39 PM   #709
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Well, if only they had armed guards. Like they should have on schools. Or sport clubs. Or churches. Or music festivals.
After all, only by adding more guns does the US get safer.
Lukraak_Sisser is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 04:31 PM   #710
ceptimus
puzzler

Thoughts and prayers. Thoughts and prayers are what will prevent the next mass shooting. There will be other ideas put forward like more people carrying guns to defend themselves, but nothing as useful as the thoughts and prayers.
ceptimus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 04:53 PM   #711
michael44
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
Thoughts and prayers. Thoughts and prayers are what will prevent the next mass shooting. There will be other ideas put forward like more people carrying guns to defend themselves, but nothing as useful as the thoughts and prayers.
Thoughts are one thing, but prayers? Sometimes I think its all the religious baggage that leads some of these folks to go bonkers. (Much like Trump's need to defend our border by sending troops to defend our country against 3000 rock throwing criminals)
michael44 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2018, 04:44 AM   #712
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
Well, if only they had armed guards. Like they should have on schools. Or sport clubs. Or churches. Or music festivals.
After all, only by adding more guns does the US get safer.
But of course if they do the cops just kill the guard when they show up.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/13/us/se...ago/index.html
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2018, 10:18 AM   #713
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

https://www.koat.com/article/what-we...erque/25028595

Local to me, won't even make the national news, 3 people injured plus the shooter killed himself.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events