ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th November 2018, 12:56 PM   #1
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

The evil, tyrannical, global Matriarchy strikes again

Joking aside. I do think this is a bit of a double standard.

Not that I would ever watch a blokes netball game, so it isn't exactly rocking my "caring Richter scale"

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/sport...governing-body

Quote:
Men's netball rejected by governing body

The rise in popularity for men's netball has prompted the community to urge the International Netball Federation to reconsider reserving professional netball for women only.

International netball is strictly sanctioned for females and is one of the only single-gendered sports to be solely permitted by its governing body - the International Netball Federation.

But it's not due to lack of male participation nor male interest.

The concept of men participating professionally alongside their female counterparts is simply rejected by the organisation with its underlying principle fixed on strengthening women in sport...............
Quote:
..........In a position statement on male participation released by the INF in February this year it says:

- The primary focus at international level will remain female only netball.

- Netball is one of the few team sports to attract girls and women to participate in large numbers contributing to addressing the current global disparity in sports participation - this is netball's unique selling point and is something that should be maximised........
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 01:27 PM   #2
fagin
Philosopher

Easy solution, just be easy gender, girl for netball, boy for rugby. Or sue the *******.
Old 8th November 2018, 01:33 PM   #3
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Men's netball is called basketball, isn't it?
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 01:57 PM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It seems we've finally found a sport where women are better than men. Of course, we had to ban the men from playing...
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 02:16 PM   #5
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Or is it volley ball?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 02:37 PM   #6
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It seems we've finally found a sport where women are better than men. Of course, we had to ban the men from playing...
Men aren't banned from shooting.
Old 8th November 2018, 04:26 PM   #7
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

Official Rules of Netball(of which I had never heard of until this thread)

Chapter 1, Paragraph 4:

The Rules are based on the core values of equal opportunity, fair play and respect for an opponent’s skill and safety.

Priceless
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 04:37 PM   #8
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
Official Rules of Netball(of which I had never heard of until this thread.)
The first rule of netball is we don't talk about netball.
Old 8th November 2018, 04:38 PM   #9
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
In the future there will be no Netball. But there will be... war.
Old 8th November 2018, 04:51 PM   #10
fagin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Or is it volley ball?
No, that would be called volley ball.
Old 8th November 2018, 07:26 PM   #11
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I'd be for it, just as soon as they start paying the women's rugby and cricket players the same as the men.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 08:09 PM   #12
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I'd be for it, just as soon as they start paying the women's rugby and cricket players the same as the men.
Don't think it says that want the same money.

Just support and a organised comp'
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 08:35 PM   #13
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Not really. The women have out scored the men in 10 meter air rifle in the 2012 and 2016 Olympic games. Good thing the men don't have to compete against the women in air rifle, the best man in the world would have had to settle for bronze in 2016.

In the 1992 Olympics Zhang Shan won the gold in mixed skeet. Mixed skeet was removed from the program by 1996; women were not allowed to shoot skeet in the Games until 2000.

Ranb

Last edited by Ranb; 8th November 2018 at 08:37 PM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 10:28 PM   #14
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I've never heard of netball before, but it appears to be similar to basketball, but without a backboard.

https://www.myactivesg.com/read/2018...e-in-singapore

The ball itself appears to resemble a volleyball.

Last edited by Puppycow; 8th November 2018 at 10:31 PM.
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 10:32 PM   #15
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
I've never heard of netball before, but it appears to be similar to basketball, but without a backboard.

https://www.myactivesg.com/read/2018...e-in-singapore

The ball itself appears to resemble a volleyball.
That and the ball can't touch the ground.

Old 9th November 2018, 03:37 AM   #16
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

And when you get the ball you have to stop and either shoot for a point at the rings(which strangely enough despite the name of the sport do not have nets) Or pass to another team mate who is also trying to avoid being blocked by the opposition.

Edit: actually I may be wrong on the nets. Oh well the last time I watched netball was when my sister used to play when I was 7ish. Oh well.

Last edited by Hungry81; 9th November 2018 at 03:39 AM.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 04:02 AM   #17
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

If men want to play netball (whatever it is), why don't they just found a "Men's Netball Association"? (It would then be a nifty touch to allow women)

Hans
Old 9th November 2018, 09:22 AM   #18
Information Analyst
Philosopher

No, because women's basketball exists, although it seems they have common roots.
Information Analyst is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 09:54 AM   #19
Fizil
Muse

I'd never heard of netball before, but it does actually sound fun from that brief description of the rules.
Fizil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 02:04 PM   #20
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Fizil View Post
I'd never heard of netball before, but it does actually sound fun from that brief description of the rules.
It is a pretty big social game here as well.

You get mixed men and womens work teams playing each other some lunchtimes.

I used to be in one for a while

We had this one bloke who played against us once who was a full on basket baller.

Shooting from nearly halfway into a ring with no back board or net.

Impressive as........and very annoying!!

Old 9th November 2018, 02:58 PM   #21
Mr Salk
Scholar

Men support women-only sports as long as the uniforms are sufficiently skimpy.
Mr Salk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 03:40 PM   #22
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fizil View Post
Sounds about as fun as basketball.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 05:30 PM   #23
Distracted1
Master Poster

Never heard of Netball, so I watched a short video of it being played.
Seems like it was concocted by knee surgeons to generate business.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events