ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Kentucky incidents , school shootings , shooting incidents

Old 21st May 2018, 04:51 AM   #361
TofuFighter
Master Poster

The Houston Police chief said on Facebook, among other things:

"I will continue to speak up and will stand up for what my heart and my God commands me to do, and I assure you he hasn’t instructed me to believe that gun-rights are bestowed by him"
and
"This isn’t a time for prayers, and study and inaction, it’s a time for prayers, action and the asking of God’s forgiveness for our inaction (especially the elected officials that ran to the cameras today, acted in a solemn manner, called for prayers, and will once again do absolutely nothing)."
Old 21st May 2018, 05:51 AM   #362
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Paddock at Las Vegas, NV - no known motive.
Cruz at Parkland, FL - no known motive.
Pagourtzis at Santa Fe, TX - no known motive.
Old 21st May 2018, 06:03 AM   #363
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I think Pagourtzis' motive is probably related to the girl he bothered for months. She finally got tired of it and embarrassed him in class.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2018, 06:27 AM   #364
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I think Pagourtzis' motive is probably related to the girl he bothered for months. She finally got tired of it and embarrassed him in class.
I would agree but we have 9 other dead people and many injured. Those people weren't preventing him from killing her alone and then stopping.

Maybe his main goal was to kill her and thought to kill himself afterwards but decided that he could use the event to also kill a bunch of other kids he hated. Get them all at once and then suicide.

He wrote about the plan in personal journals on his computer and phone, so maybe those reveal a motive.

He told investigators that he acted alone and had no accomplices. I don't know the current status of the two other detained students.

Explosives: I read that there were CO2 canisters wrapped in duct tape. A pressure cooker loaded with nails and a clock, but no explosive material inside. A Molotov cocktail. I don't know what is confirmed.
Old 21st May 2018, 11:57 AM   #365
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
It's almost as though guns are the main problem.

And that moody teenagers and guns are a really bad mix
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2018, 12:14 PM   #366
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

Only in the USA can a pissed off teenager find it pretty easy to get guns and lots of ammo. Only one country in the western world has let that happen.

When Finland had two school shootings, they acted. When Scotland had one, the whole UK acted. When the USA has tons, there is a lot of talk and no one acts.

That is why I came to the conclusion a while back that as much as the USA would like the problem to stop, it cannot do it. Like someone who has had their leg amputated, it is too late. They have instead to learn to cope.
Old 21st May 2018, 12:45 PM   #367
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
The Houston Police chief said on Facebook, among other things:

"I will continue to speak up and will stand up for what my heart and my God commands me to do, and I assure you he hasnít instructed me to believe that gun-rights are bestowed by him"
and
"This isnít a time for prayers, and study and inaction, itís a time for prayers, action and the asking of Godís forgiveness for our inaction (especially the elected officials that ran to the cameras today, acted in a solemn manner, called for prayers, and will once again do absolutely nothing)."
Good for him.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2018, 12:58 PM   #368
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
It's all caused by ritalin, according to Oliver North.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 21st May 2018, 01:08 PM   #369
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Only in the USA can a pissed off teenager find it pretty easy to get guns and lots of ammo. Only one country in the western world has let that happen.

When Finland had two school shootings, they acted. When Scotland had one, the whole UK acted. When the USA has tons, there is a lot of talk and no one acts.

That is why I came to the conclusion a while back that as much as the USA would like the problem to stop, it cannot do it. Like someone who has had their leg amputated, it is too late. They have instead to learn to cope.
Wasn't he almost 18? At that point he could buy all the pump shotguns he wanted. They don't cost much and he would have passed the required background check.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2018, 02:03 PM   #370
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

I was thinking the NRA is right, it's not guns: It's males.

Gun ownership should be limited to females and males should only be allowed to posses a gun in the presence of a female who is licensed in dealing with the fragile male ego and capricious nature of the male psyche. That is the only way we should trust boys and men with guns in our society.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2018, 02:56 PM   #371
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Good for him.
He won't last long.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2018, 05:10 PM   #372
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The girl may have told people that Pagourtzis was going to kill her.

Old 22nd May 2018, 08:51 AM   #373
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I was thinking the NRA is right, it's not guns: It's males.
No it is clearly women, if only she hadn't spurned his advances none of this would have happened.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2018, 12:15 PM   #374
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
No it is clearly women, if only she hadn't spurned his advances none of this would have happened.
Sadly, this is an opinion that conservatives actually express.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 05:43 AM   #375
Lothian
should be banned

Typical gun ban advocate ignoring the actions of thousands of Americans who have not only have thoughts about and make prayers for the victims but have even publicly tweeted and posted on Facebook those same Ts&Ps*.

*Sorry had to shorten "Thoughts and Prayers", when you have to send so many as a result of freely accessible guns it gets tiring writing it out in full.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 10:21 AM   #376
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Just in case there is any doubt, I am not a gun ban advocate.

I do not think there was any point to banning the types of guns that were outlawed after the mass shootings here. The real solution was tightening the vetting procedure to make it even more unlikely someone unsuitable would be allowed to possess a firearm.
Old 25th May 2018, 12:23 PM   #377
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

School shooting in a MIDDLE SCHOOL in Noblesville, Indiana, today.

No one died, so, meh....

(teacher without a gun stopped it, but was shot in the process)
Old 25th May 2018, 05:57 PM   #378
mgidm86
Illuminator

Just popping in to show this latest article on CNN claiming that there has been a school shooting every week this year.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/02/us/sc...rnd/index.html

I guess we will have to argue whether or not this is what people think of when they hear "school shooting". I don't and I think the headline is ridiculous and dishonest. I came up with 10 out of 23.

Quote:
A student shot another student with a BB gun in Gloversville Middle School.

A man was shot in the stomach in the parking lot of Raytown South Middle School during a track meet.

A teacher accidentally discharged a gun during a public safety class at Seaside High School, injuring a student.

One person was hospitalized after a shooting at an apartment building on the campus of the University of South Alabama.

One student was killed and another critically wounded after an accidental shooting during dismissal time at Huffman High School. Police wouldn't elaborate further. [okay maybe this one but it was accidental]

A student was shot inside a dormitory at Jackson State University. His injuries were not life-threatening. [can't find more info, so maybe. accidental?]

Two people were shot to death at a dormitory on the campus of Central Michigan University. The victims were not students and police think the incident stemmed from a domestic situation.

A student at Norfolk State University was shot from an adjacent dorm room while he was doing homework. He was not seriously injured.

A fight led to a shooting in the parking lot of Lincoln High School, fatally wounding a 32-year-old man.

A Winston-Salem State University football player, Najee Ali Baker, was shot to death at a party on the campus of Wake Forest University.
So that is 13 school shootings this year not 23. I'm sure everyone here will agree with me haha

And no, 13 is not good either, but I do prefer honest reporting so that we may have quality discourse on this fine forum of ours.

I think 13 or 23 school shootings is disgusting. I think lying about it with such a headline is pretty bad as well.

ETA: Sorry I'd forgotten about the BB shooting so I added it. That's 10 fake news shootings now not 9, and 13 total school shootings.

ETA2: that a few shootings could fall into the category and I noted them above.

Last edited by mgidm86; 25th May 2018 at 06:06 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 06:15 PM   #379
mgidm86
Illuminator

I don't want to keep editing that post, so to be clear, I do not think the shootings in that list fall into the school shooting category.

An accidental discharge by an instructor is not a school shooting as we know it. We know what a school shooting is, it is Columbine, Sandy Hook, etc.

And these headlines get repeated over and over by those who don't bother to look at the article themselves. 23 is the narrative, too late for facts.
Old 25th May 2018, 07:54 PM   #380
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I don't want to keep editing that post, so to be clear, I do not think the shootings in that list fall into the school shooting category.

An accidental discharge by an instructor is not a school shooting as we know it. We know what a school shooting is, it is Columbine, Sandy Hook, etc.

And these headlines get repeated over and over by those who don't bother to look at the article themselves. 23 is the narrative, too late for facts.
School shooting is people shot at school. Mass school shooting is many people shot at school. Saying theys arent school shootings even though they are shootings at school is dishonest and highlights the growing apathy in the US. Is it not an assault if I stab someone in a non vital area with a small toothpick or pin instead of a shank or a knife?
Why are guns in this volume accessable to people at school whether they are incompetent or not?

Last edited by Hungry81; 25th May 2018 at 08:05 PM.
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 11:33 AM   #381
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump praises here of school shooting.

"Thanks to very brave Teacher & Hero Jason Seaman of Noblesville, Indiana, for his heroic act in saving so many precious young lives. His quick and automatic action is being talked about all over the world!"

Apparently he doesn't praise a hero if he stops a shooter in a Waffle House.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 11:39 AM   #382
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump praises here of school shooting.

"Thanks to very brave Teacher & Hero Jason Seaman of Noblesville, Indiana, for his heroic act in saving so many precious young lives. His quick and automatic action is being talked about all over the world!"

Apparently he doesn't praise a hero if he stops a shooter in a Waffle House.
Of course, the guy who stopped the shooting didn't have a gun. He used a basketball first, and himself second.

Then again, can someone please explain...

HOW THE **** DOES A MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENT GET 2 HANDGUNS TO BRING TO SCHOOL????????
Old 26th May 2018, 12:20 PM   #383
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Of course, the guy who stopped the shooting didn't have a gun. He used a basketball first, and himself second.

Then again, can someone please explain...

HOW THE **** DOES A MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENT GET 2 HANDGUNS TO BRING TO SCHOOL????????
They guy in the Waffle house didn't have a gun and the shooter wasn't a child but a man with an AR.
Old 30th May 2018, 05:25 AM   #384
Armitage72
Master Poster

Now we know what's really responsible for school shootings. Pornography ... in supermarkets.

Quote:
Republican Rep. Diane Black of Tennessee recently cited pornography, along with the deterioration of the family and violent movies, as a contributing factor to gun violence in schools.
Black made the remarks during a listening session with local pastors last week, according to audio obtained by HuffPost and posted Tuesday.
"Why do we see kids being so violent? What's out there? What makes them do that?" Black said. "Because, as a nurse, I go back to root cause. And I think it's a couple things," Black said, listing off deterioration of the family and violent movies, before mentioning pornography.
"Pornography. It's available. It's available on the shelf when you walk in the grocery store. Yeah, you have to reach up to get it, but there's pornography there," Black says in the audio. "All of this is available without parental guidance."

I'm not sure what grocery stores she's shopping in. Either she's referring to fashion and fitness magazines with women in skimpy outfits on the covers, or she's confusing grocery stores and convenience stores.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2018, 11:42 AM   #385
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Now we know what's really responsible for school shootings. Pornography ... in supermarkets.

I'm not sure what grocery stores she's shopping in. Either she's referring to fashion and fitness magazines with women in skimpy outfits on the covers, or she's confusing grocery stores and convenience stores.
I'm not sure what convenience stores you're talking about either. Even during my brief term working in a local convenience store chain two decades ago, the porno mags were on shelves behind the counter and the covers were not visible at all behind black plates with the titles on them...and 7-11 stores hadn't carried them for years before that.

Maybe she's confusing grocery stores with adult stores that happen to sell edible underwear?
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2018, 11:48 AM   #386
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
I'm not sure what convenience stores you're talking about either. Even during my brief term working in a local convenience store chain two decades ago, the porno mags were on shelves behind the counter and the covers were not visible at all behind black plates with the titles on them...and 7-11 stores hadn't carried them for years before that.

When I worked for one in the mid-90s, Playboy and Penthouse were on the magazine rack, all the way at the top, high enough that an adult would have to reach over their head, with a barrier preventing the covers from being visible. I haven't checked recently.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2018, 11:55 AM   #387
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
When I worked for one in the mid-90s, Playboy and Penthouse were on the magazine rack, all the way at the top, high enough that an adult would have to reach over their head, with a barrier preventing the covers from being visible. I haven't checked recently.
I also remember that nearly every adult magazine had transitioned back then to being sold in plastic bags so that they had to be ripped open to see true nudity.

I'd wager that in Tennessee (and the rest of the South), any adult magazines still being sold are even more out of the way than in my city of liberal heathens.

In any case, this is yet another conservative nutbar who is in complete denial of reality.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2018, 12:44 PM   #388
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

If she is worried by a copy of Playboy on the top shelf don't let her on to the Internet!
Old 30th May 2018, 01:06 PM   #389
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I also remember that nearly every adult magazine had transitioned back then to being sold in plastic bags so that they had to be ripped open to see true nudity.

I'd wager that in Tennessee (and the rest of the South), any adult magazines still being sold are even more out of the way than in my city of liberal heathens.
I don't know have you seen how much more common strip clubs are down there vs in the north?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2018, 01:14 PM   #390
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
I don't know have you seen how much more common strip clubs are down there vs in the north?
I live in the Portland metro area where we've been said to have the most strip clubs per capita of any US city, so...
Old 30th May 2018, 05:15 PM   #391
mgidm86
Illuminator

I live in the Portland metro area where we've been said to have the most strip clubs per capita of any US city, so...
True that.
Old 30th May 2018, 07:14 PM   #392
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

It's interesting that she mentioned a few things, then mentioned pornography, and the only thing anyone is talking about is pornography. One track minds, I guess.

However, in all seriousness, I am a gun control advocate, but I think that when looking at the phenomenon of mass shootings in the USA, some sort of societal ills and the influences on the psyche of Americans, especially young Americans, really do have to be considered. Personally, I think that we have a very lonely society, with very shallow relationships, and I think that it is even easier than in decades past to remain isolated. Even, yes, pornography may play a role in that.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2018, 07:49 PM   #393
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
It's interesting that she mentioned a few things, then mentioned pornography, and the only thing anyone is talking about is pornography. One track minds, I guess.
Yeah, she mentioned other crap for which she provided no evidence. It just so happens that the pornography nonsense she spouts makes clear that she doesn't give a **** about evidence and that she's just spouting garbage. As a nurse, she might think back to her schooling where she was almost certainly taught to look at root causes that are actually proven to be root causes.
Old 31st May 2018, 12:34 AM   #394
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Is it harder to get a porn mag than a gun when you are a school pupil?
Old 31st May 2018, 07:12 AM   #395
Armitage72
Master Poster

Yeah, she mentioned other crap for which she provided no evidence. It just so happens that the pornography nonsense she spouts makes clear that she doesn't give a **** about evidence and that she's just spouting garbage. As a nurse, she might think back to her schooling where she was almost certainly taught to look at root causes that are actually proven to be root causes.

You know what's really causing school violence? It's obviously pool halls.

We've got trouble.
Right here in our schools.
Trouble with a capital "T".
And that rhymes with "P".
And that stands for Pool.

I remember the "good old days", when there were claims that I was going to go nuts and kill people because I sat around a table with my friends rolling oddly shaped dice.
Old 31st May 2018, 07:32 AM   #396
3point14
Pi

The latter is a more likely gift, I would imagine.
Old 31st May 2018, 08:00 AM   #397
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

We kept most of the guns in a safe when I was a kid. However, my dad made me memorize the combo when I was 12. So the latter would've been easier, yes.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2018, 12:55 PM   #398
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
School shooting is people shot at school. Mass school shooting is many people shot at school. Saying theys arent school shootings even though they are shootings at school is dishonest and highlights the growing apathy in the US. Is it not an assault if I stab someone in a non vital area with a small toothpick or pin instead of a shank or a knife?
Why are guns in this volume accessable to people at school whether they are incompetent or not?
No, someone being shot at a school is someone being shot at a school. A school shooting is not an accidental discharge by a licensed instructor, that is an accidental discharge.

I am avoiding using the "everyone knows what we mean when we say school shooting" and trying to find more solid evidence, but really - a BB gun is a school shooting? Was that reported by CNN as a school shooting? Didn't think so.

If someone said "did you hear about the latest school shooting?" and then proceeded to describe a BB gun or an accidental discharge by an instructor they'd be ridiculed.

When CNN, during reporting of the latest actual rampage shooting claim there has been a school shooting every week this year, what do you think people believe they are referring to?

Come on give me a break.
Old 1st June 2018, 02:21 AM   #399
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump didn't go toTexas to meet with families of Santa Fe shooting.
He went for two fundraisers - lunch in Houston, dinner in Dallas to benefit Senate RNC.

He only decided the day before to meet with them. They had to meet him at the airport, no cameras, no siblings allowed.

He said he was going to Texas to 'have some fun' He knew it would look bad if he was in the area and didn't meet the families so he made them go to him at the airport. Can't have them inconveniencing his fundraising dinner.

Maybe if they had paid to attend the lunch they could have got a photograph.
Old 2nd June 2018, 01:05 AM   #400
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Fox News proposes blasting down school walls with cannons in event of school shootings

On Thursday, Fox News proposed a unique way to reduce fatalities at schools targeted by mass shooters.

In “School shootings: This cannon fires unbelievable ammo to blast through walls and help rescue victims,” Fox News “defense specialist” Allison Barrie writes about a cannon called the “BCB Wall Breaker” that fires water cooler tanks at high velocities. Barrie suggests the cannon could help students escape mass shootings by blasting down walls.

https://thinkprogress.org/fox-news-s...-8b35027728c7/

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events