ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Kentucky incidents , school shootings , shooting incidents

Old 24th January 2018, 08:22 AM   #41
Toontown
Philosopher

It's yesterday's mass shooting now. Move on.
Old 24th January 2018, 08:43 AM   #42
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Not for a long time. 1994 is a generation ago.
But 2004 isn't; that's when Congress allowed it to sunset.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 09:31 AM   #43
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
But 2004 isn't; that's when Congress allowed it to sunset.
And these shootings are just one of the perks of being an american. Then you get the gun nuts harrassing the supposed victims for being fake actors in a false flag attack to take their guns away.

Ah real american values. That is what is making america great.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 09:45 AM   #44
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
I am trying to figure out how to run betting pools on mass shootings. Because as random events nothing can be done about, they are perfect for gambling on. That way people can feel something other than powerless frustration when there is a mass shooting.
Over-under on number of people killed in the next one? We would probably need to set a minimum number to be considered a "mass shooting", so as to avoid having to pay out the under for every garden variety murder.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 10:07 AM   #45
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

I watched a documentary about the Aurora mass shooting. What was particularly depressing was that in the USA, only those most closely linked to that shooting were bothered by it. Whereas in Scotland , with Dunblane, the entire country felt the affects. It was as if we had all be shot at.

With no possibility of a national consensus that mass shootings are a problem for the whole country and a far more selfish attitude of, well I am OK, it was only some people in Aurora who were shot, the USA will never be able to deal with this situation.
Old 24th January 2018, 11:04 AM   #46
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
I watched a documentary about the Aurora mass shooting. What was particularly depressing was that in the USA, only those most closely linked to that shooting were bothered by it.
America did cry, and so that documentary did lie.
Old 24th January 2018, 11:08 AM   #47
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Right.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 11:11 AM   #48
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

The point was made by me, not specifically by the documentary. I doubt the documentary makers realised they were revealing how quickly Aurora was yesterdays news and the victims forgotten.

That point of how quickly people put a mass shooting behind them is also being expressed in this thread, from its title to comments like "It's yesterday's mass shooting now. Move on."
Old 24th January 2018, 11:12 AM   #49
xjx388
Philosopher

I watched a documentary about the Aurora mass shooting. What was particularly depressing was that in the USA, only those most closely linked to that shooting were bothered by it. Whereas in Scotland , with Dunblane, the entire country felt the affects. It was as if we had all be shot at.
That's kinda ridiculous if that documentary said that only those close to the Aurora shooting were bothered by it. I was extremely bothered by it having attended a midnight screening of TDKR myself replete with people in costume, masks and fake guns. It changed the way some theater chains operated -disallowing those costumes, masks and fake guns.

Quote:
With no possibility of a national consensus that mass shootings are a problem for the whole country and a far more selfish attitude of, well I am OK, it was only some people in Aurora who were shot, the USA will never be able to deal with this situation.
This is not the "national consensus."
Old 24th January 2018, 11:13 AM   #50
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

The public outcry against lax gun laws which followed Dunblane forced the government to restrict handgun ownership. That will never happen in the US so the shootings will carry on regardless of how much you cry.
Strawberry is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 11:14 AM   #51
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

The point was made by me, not specifically by the documentary. I doubt the documentary makers realised they were revealing how quickly Aurora was yesterdays news and the victims forgotten.

That point of how quickly people put a mass shooting behind them is also being expressed in this thread, from its title to comments like "It's yesterday's mass shooting now. Move on."
That is mostly frustration, and the knowledge that these things will always happen regularly and there is simply nothing that we can do about it. Hell there have been 11 school shootings this year. So more than 1 every 2 schooldays.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3775723

It frankly is normal in the US.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 11:15 AM   #52
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Aurora was in the news for.... such.... a.... long.... time....

Special report programs about it on TV for like forever it seemed.

But you can go ahead and jump the shark on this.
Old 24th January 2018, 11:17 AM   #53
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
That's kinda ridiculous if that documentary said that only those close to the Aurora shooting were bothered by it. I was extremely bothered by it having attended a midnight screening of TDKR myself replete with people in costume, masks and fake guns. It changed the way some theater chains operated -disallowing those costumes, masks and fake guns.
Yes yes yes, and people go to church to, the shooting there last year, even though it was a white peoples church didn't change anything either. This is just the way things are and there is no point in making a big deal over them. It won't change anything.
Old 24th January 2018, 01:15 PM   #54
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

That is mostly frustration, and the knowledge that these things will always happen regularly and there is simply nothing that we can do about it. Hell there have been 11 school shootings this year. So more than 1 every 2 schooldays.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3775723

It frankly is normal in the US.
It is stunning what people can become normalised to.
Old 24th January 2018, 01:24 PM   #55
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

It is stunning what people can become normalised to.
To be fair, we have really good first responders, so the KY shooting is the first shooting death in a school this year.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 01:40 PM   #56
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
To be fair, we have really good first responders, so the KY shooting is the first shooting death in a school this year.
Please don't take this as a dig at you. Do you realise that you are only saying that because you have been normalised to mass shootings?
Old 24th January 2018, 02:35 PM   #57
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

...you have been normalised to mass shootings?
They are not normal to me. Each of them is a display of great abnormality and I hate them all.
Old 24th January 2018, 02:51 PM   #58
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Please don't take this as a dig at you. Do you realise that you are only saying that because you have been normalised to mass shootings?
Dear friend, dig away. I am fully aware that it is an abomination that our firefighters are so damn good at treating gun shot wounds.

He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 03:24 PM   #59
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

The first month of the year isn't even over yet, and someone has already died from a mass shooting?
Old 24th January 2018, 09:09 PM   #60
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Should we make this a sticky thread?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 09:31 PM   #61
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Specifically, at least some of America cried "fake". Because Alex Jones claimed to have found...how did he put it? "Inconsistencies in the narrative", or something to that effect.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2018, 12:30 AM   #62
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
The first month of the year isn't even over yet, and someone has already died from a mass shooting?
There have been two already. As a matter of fact. TBH, it's below par. There should be at least one per day to stay on the average.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2018, 04:06 AM   #63
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

They are not normal to me. Each of them is a display of great abnormality and I hate them all.
I accept that, the problem for you is that many more do not care, or see mass shootings as the reason why they want a gun (so perpetuating the problem).

Meanwhile, a mass shooting in the UK, or Australia or elsewhere, units an entire country to act.

It is horrible and sad, but you are better to develop a coping strategy and normalising it, so you are not that bothered, is one way of coping.
Old 25th January 2018, 04:17 AM   #64
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Dear friend, dig away. I am fully aware that it is an abomination that our firefighters are so damn good at treating gun shot wounds.
The same was true during The Troubles. Army doctors would go to Northern Ireland for training on dealing with gun shot and wounds from explosives.

The shootings and bombings were normalised during The Troubles. I know and am related to plenty of people who lived through The Troubles. They all remark how they could just get on with their lives and ignore what was going on around them.

Like gun violence in the USA, it was pretty easy to avoid certain places and so greatly reduce your chances of being shot at.

That NI was able to solve its problems (mostly) is the most remarkable thing I have seen in my life. Martin McGuinness and Ian Paisley best buddies! How did that happen! But it meant the entire of NI had come together to solve the problem. The estimate is that about 10-5% of the population were involved in and responsible for The Troubles. They also had fewer weapons than the average American town!

With 88.8 guns per 100 people in the USA and around 30% of adults owning a gun, the scale of the problem is far greater in the USA, plus there is not the universal will to change.

Hence NI could change, but the USA cannot.
Old 25th January 2018, 04:41 AM   #65
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I believe you forgot to add:

Black guns scary

Brown guns less scary

(Hopefully I'm remembering correctly).
"They said 'high-powered', therefore their opinion is worthless."
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2018, 04:43 AM   #66
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You do know that January is about as arbitrary as round numbers, right?

Why does the count get reset here?
New Year, new count.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2018, 04:47 AM   #67
Information Analyst
Philosopher

The legislative changes also had enough suppoprt in the rest of the UK to be passed virtually unopposed.
Old 25th January 2018, 04:48 AM   #68
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
"They said 'high-powered', therefore their opinion is worthless."
"A gun is not an assault rifle if it is semiauto"
Old 25th January 2018, 04:51 AM   #69
Information Analyst
Philosopher

"A gun is not an assault rifle if it is semiauto"
I did considering including "machine gun/assault rifle/assault weapon," but though somebody else would add it in due course.
Old 25th January 2018, 05:04 AM   #70
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

The rate of mass shootings for 2018 compared to last is unlikely to change significantly, there is no reason for it to do so, any change is going to just a statistical variation.

On possible significant cause of change is not going to happen. Trump suggested he would make changes, but he has done nothing. I remember it being said Trump is used to getting people round a table and battering out an agreement. But that was to get a contract to build a new casino or golf club. Getting the NRA to agree with the anti-gun lobby is even more improbable than getting the two sides in the Northern Irish Troubles to agree.
Old 25th January 2018, 09:49 AM   #71
Finster
Graduate Poster

The rate of mass shootings for 2018 compared to last is unlikely to change significantly, there is no reason for it to do so, any change is going to just a statistical variation.

On possible significant cause of change is not going to happen. Trump suggested he would make changes, but he has done nothing. I remember it being said Trump is used to getting people round a table and battering out an agreement. But that was to get a contract to build a new casino or golf club. Getting the NRA to agree with the anti-gun lobby is even more improbable than getting the two sides in the Northern Irish Troubles to agree.
The lunatic's response was to blame it on Obama not giving the police enough military surplus weapons and promising to fix things by giving them more - completely insane.
Old 25th January 2018, 09:56 AM   #72
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Hence NI could change, but the USA cannot.
Agreed. The UK has a better chance at addressing its drinking problem than the US has of addressing its shooting problem.

Old 25th January 2018, 11:59 AM   #73
deadrose
Master Poster

If it's still online, you can find me in the online condolences for the Dunblane killing.

I'm bothered by every shooting. I'm especially bothered that I have less time to process each one before the next one takes place. In 2006 when the "Capitol Hill Massacre" took place, I joined some local online raver boards, and commiserated with them, and offered them some advice on how to cope with being the current hated subculture (being a goth, I know too well).

I have several friends who simply refuse to go into public places anymore because of the anxiety it causes.

But as the economy has become so much worse for anyone but the richest, as people try to juggle 2-3 jobs and hope they won't get sick and lose everything, there's less and less energy left for empathy, support, or caring for anyone outside your social circle. This is why health care is turning into a popularity contest. You start a donation page, and you hope you have a lot of friends with a little extra money.

But I'm getting distracted from my point. When you're treading water in a flood, you're too busy trying to keep from drowning to help other people, and that's what it's becoming here.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2018, 12:35 PM   #74
deadrose
Master Poster

As a postscript, circumstantial evidence would suggest the government encourages this, keeping the general public overwhelmed and off-balance.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2018, 08:37 AM   #75
crescent
Master Poster

In the wake of the Kentucky school shooting, a look at how kids get guns. Nearly half of our states lack “safe storage” laws to keep guns in homes out of kids’ hands

Quote:
“I noticed a lady that was distraught, couldn’t find her child,” Adams said. Adams was texting with her son, and tried to get information for the other parent. That’s when they both learned something terrible.

“That was the shooter’s mother,” Adams said. She said the woman went into what seemed like shock.

“I held her hair while she threw up.”

Adams says the mother was in shock.

The shooter took the gun out of her closet,” Adams said.
Quote:
Safe Storage

“We know that those laws work,” Hannah Shearer said. She’s a staff attorney at the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, which formed after Arizona U.S. Representative Gabby Giffords was shot in 2011.

“There is research that states that have child access prevention laws have successfully reduced unintentional gun injuries among children and also child suicides,” Shearer said. “We know that in states with those laws fewer kids are getting their hands on their parents’ guns and harming themselves with guns.”
Quote:
Kentucky State Senator Gerald Neal, a Democrat from Louisville, introduced a child access law in the last legislative session.

Neal said his bill is not about gun control but about gun safety. He compared it to laws on wearing seat belts. Still, the bill went nowhere. In Ohio, similar bills met a similar fate in the last three sessions.

The Ohio Valley region has a high percentage of state lawmakers who get a positive rating from the National Rifle Association for votes or campaign pledges that limit regulation of firearms. The NRA did not return requests for an interview for this story.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2018, 10:34 AM   #76
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post

This is not the "national consensus."
The consensus of this site is not the national consensus either.
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2018, 07:55 PM   #77
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Should we make this a sticky thread?
No need. We can just post here every time there's a new mass shooting. I doubt the thread will stay dormant too long.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2018, 06:21 AM   #78
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
No need. We can just post here every time there's a new mass shooting. I doubt the thread will stay dormant too long.
Exactly no need for seperate threads for every mass shooting, that is just plain inefficient and confusing.
Old 29th January 2018, 07:44 AM   #79
NoahFence
Banned

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/28...olice-say.html

Weee!!!

Yay 'Murica!
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2018, 03:36 PM   #80
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Let's wait until we have the full 2018 numbers on car wash shootings before we get too excited.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events