ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Kentucky incidents , school shootings , shooting incidents

Old 7th March 2018, 06:22 PM   #201
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

There's only one answer: Mandatory gun safety classes in public schools, to be taught on the new gun ranges provided by the funding I'm sure will be sailing through Congress any day now.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 06:24 PM   #202
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
May I offer my hopes as to where it shot him?
You will be disappointed because the unconfirmed word is that it's his abdomen. His life is in danger too.
Old 7th March 2018, 06:37 PM   #203
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

If it was a car he would have accidentally ran over someone and rammed into himself when showing it off.......
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 08:49 PM   #204
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

CNN: The school has metal detectors, and school resource officers were on site at the time of the shooting, said Birmingham City Schools Superintendent Dr. Lisa Herring.
Old 8th March 2018, 02:13 AM   #205
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

If only the girl had been armed it would never had happened.

I'm sorry, I know we're not allowed to talk about guns after a shooting.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 02:14 AM   #206
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
If it was a car he would have accidentally ran over someone and rammed into himself when showing it off.......
Think about how many of the girls would have drowned had it been a swimming pool.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 06:40 AM   #207
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

On the Michigan college shooting of parents...

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
He was acting loopy at school and his parents were called and he was sent to the hospital the night before.

The parents picked up their son at the hospital.

They then drove to the dorms to pick up the son's bags for spring break.

They were all in the dorm area, when the son came out of the building, went to the car, retrieved the gun, and then went back in and shot his parents.
There are reports now saying that he "escaped" from the hospital at like 3am and police were tracking him as he walked around outside. Seems that his parents maybe didn't pick him up from the hospital after all.
Old 10th March 2018, 11:05 AM   #208
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Another shooting today but again not a mass shooting.

It's an ongoing standoff situation in Pomona, California. Police were chasing a guy in a vehicle then he jumped out and ran into an apartment complex. He went into a unit and then into a bedroom. Cops were at the bedroom door and he shot through it killing one officer and seriously injuring another. They don't know who this guy is. Not clear if it's his apartment or what.
Old 10th March 2018, 12:15 PM   #209
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Another shooting today but again not a mass shooting.

It's an ongoing standoff situation in Pomona, California. Police were chasing a guy in a vehicle then he jumped out and ran into an apartment complex. He went into a unit and then into a bedroom. Cops were at the bedroom door and he shot through it killing one officer and seriously injuring another. They don't know who this guy is. Not clear if it's his apartment or what.
Pomona's a pretty small force and I don't think they've lost a lot of officers in their history. This has got to be an ugly shock for the community.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2018, 12:46 PM   #210
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

At this point the standoff is about 18 hours. They have used a few flash bang grenades but he isn't surrendering.
Old 10th March 2018, 04:18 PM   #211
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Cop killer guy has been arrested.
Old 10th March 2018, 04:26 PM   #212
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Story includes a picture of him being taken away in underwear.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...309-story.html
Old 11th March 2018, 07:57 AM   #213
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Los Angeles Times
The shooting Friday night led to a standoff that ended about 15 hours later when the suspect, identified by authorities as Isaias De Jesus Valencia, 39, was handcuffed and taken into custody by Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies...

According to an acquaintance, the suspected shooter suffers from depression and drug addiction. Valencia served in the U.S. Army and has two children, said Amos Young, who knew the suspect through his father's Pomona church, Kingdom of God Revelation Ministries.

Despite having a home, Valencia often slept on the streets and rejected help from his family, Young said...

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...310-story.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OLJYV573FJEUBMLFRAN7EGIXSA.jpg (69.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg J4SQJWLP2BGF3AASIBLROUEEJA.jpg (75.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 11th March 2018, 06:32 PM   #214
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

CNN: The school has metal detectors
But they weren't operating on that day...

Originally Posted by WHNT
An Alabama teenager is charged with manslaughter and illegal firearms possession in a classroom shooting that killed a fellow high school student in Birmingham.

The school has metal detectors, but officials said they weren’t in use that day. They haven’t said why...
http://whnt.com/2018/03/09/teen-char...chool-shooting
Old 13th March 2018, 03:25 PM   #215
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Pomona cop killer was not supposed to have a gun...

Originally Posted by Los Angeles Times
Before the shooting, Valencia had a history of arrests in the Pomona area, according to public records.

Nearly three years ago, he was sent to state prison for illegally possessing a firearm and ammunition and discharging a gun in a school zone, as well as destruction of jail property, according to California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation press secretary Vicky Waters. He was out on probation roughly a year later....
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...313-story.html
Old 14th March 2018, 12:47 PM   #216
Civet
Graduate Poster

Japan managed to have a mass stabbing today. Four hurt but no one dead.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...awa-city-hall/
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 01:48 AM   #217
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
There's only one answer: Mandatory gun safety classes in public schools, to be taught on the new gun ranges provided by the funding I'm sure will be sailing through Congress any day now.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-1...-class/9550762

This didn't work out too well. Accidentally discharges gun in class while showing them how to check if it is empty. Fragments of bullet found in one students' neck.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes

Last edited by a_unique_person; 15th March 2018 at 01:51 AM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 03:43 PM   #218
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-1...-class/9550762

This didn't work out too well. Accidentally discharges gun in class while showing them how to check if it is empty. Fragments of bullet found in one students' neck.
Small price to pay for those students' firsthand experience with gun safety. One can only hope that this kind of "accidental" discharge becomes part of the standard curriculum.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 05:42 PM   #219
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Small price to pay for those students' firsthand experience with gun safety. One can only hope that this kind of "accidental" discharge becomes part of the standard curriculum.
Seems it has been for a while.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2018, 05:33 PM   #220
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I'd gather from some posters that if you have lots of guns, some will inevitably go off by accident.

I know that Captain_Swoop and Smartcooky were in their countries armed forces, so would like to know what their employers' attitudes were towards such occurrences? And how common they were.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2018, 05:42 PM   #221
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Anynegligent discharge is a very serious occurrence. It will lead to a formal inquiry and where appropriate a punishment.
I was in the Navy so can't speak for the other services but aboard ship even a negligent discharge of a blank round would be serious and lead to inquiry and sanctions.

If a live round was negligently discharged it would be an instant 'Captains Table' and maybe even higher inquiry.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2018, 05:46 PM   #222
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I'd gather from some posters that if you have lots of guns, some will inevitably go off by accident.

I know that Captain_Swoop and Smartcooky were in their countries armed forces, so would like to know what their employers' attitudes were towards such occurrences? And how common they were.
During my time in only one I know of - guy grenaded himself on the grenade range (note it was my day on the KP rotation so I missed the whole thing). As it was told to our Company it was a suicide. I do not trust that I would get truth from the Army though so I really do not know.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2018, 06:01 AM   #223
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Anynegligent discharge is a very serious occurrence. It will lead to a formal inquiry and where appropriate a punishment.
I was in the Navy so can't speak for the other services but aboard ship even a negligent discharge of a blank round would be serious and lead to inquiry and sanctions.

If a live round was negligently discharged it would be an instant 'Captains Table' and maybe even higher inquiry.
But the military doesn't seem to have everyone handling weapons loaded at all times like these teachers would be expected to. Hell I know that in many times they had the army to guard places in cities they had guns but no ammo.

When you are talking about a handgun with intentionally few safety mechanisms to be ready at a moments notice at any time it is something the military stays very far away from.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2018, 02:05 PM   #224
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

If we placed a sentry with a rifle it wasn't loaded. The sentry would be issued five rounds but could only load them on orders from the Guard Commander.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2018, 02:28 PM   #225
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

If we placed a sentry with a rifle it wasn't loaded. The sentry would be issued five rounds but could only load them on orders from the Guard Commander.
And if I recall correctly, you were in the Navy during the IRA campaign, so there would have been an elevated risk of being attacked.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2018, 02:53 PM   #226
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
And if I recall correctly, you were in the Navy during the IRA campaign, so there would have been an elevated risk of being attacked.
MOD Police did most base security work at shore establishments.
Old 4th April 2018, 06:14 PM   #227
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by MLive
The 19-year-old accused of fatally shooting his mother and father in his Central Michigan University dorm has been found incompetent to stand trial, according to his attorney.

James E. Davis Jr. was found incompetent to stand trial March 23, according to his court-appointed attorney, Joshua Blanchard. Davis will now undergo treatment in an attempt to have him regain competency...
http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/in..._found_in.html
Old 5th April 2018, 05:44 PM   #228
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

It's ridiculous that some conservatives tried to use the Yahoo shooting as an argument for "The Wall". When informed that the shooter was an American, their counter was "well it could have been an illegal immigrant."
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2018, 08:34 PM   #229
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

In the last 72 hours to this date, there have been 285 shooting incidents in the USA, leaving 128 wounded and 76 dead. It includes one "mass shooting" (3 or more dead).

Stay up to date here: http://www.gunviolencearchive.org
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2018, 06:54 AM   #230
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Four shot dead and possibly seven injured at a Waffle House in Tennessee. Gun used was an AR-15, and it was wrested away from the gunman. The shooter is on the run and naked.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/22/us/te...ing/index.html
Old 22nd April 2018, 09:18 AM   #231
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Arm the Waiters.
Old 22nd April 2018, 01:15 PM   #232
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Four shot dead and possibly seven injured at a Waffle House in Tennessee. Gun used was an AR-15, and it was wrested away from the gunman. The shooter is on the run and naked.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/22/us/te...ing/index.html
More on the guy who disarmed him
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2018, 01:21 PM   #233
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Suspect had previously been arrested outside the White House in 2017.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...ect/540144002/
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2018, 01:44 PM   #234
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

And they took his guns away! Before giving him to his father, who gave them back.
The hero is black; false flag accusations in 3..2..1...
Old 22nd April 2018, 01:50 PM   #235
fagin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

From your link

"The 29-year-old Illinois man accused of carrying out a fatal shooting Sunday morning at an Antioch Waffle House previously had weapons removed from his possession after a 2017 arrest near the White House.....

After the arrest, his Illinois firearms authorization was revoked and local Illinois police seized four weapons.

"Among the weapons seized by those authorities was the AR-15 rifle used at the Waffle House today," said Nashville police spokesman Don Aaron at a Sunday afternoon news conference. "

Kind of crazy...
Old 22nd April 2018, 02:00 PM   #236
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Stopped by a good guy without a gun.
Old 22nd April 2018, 05:07 PM   #237
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Stopped by a good guy without a gun.
That's what THEY want you to think.

I just Googled stuff like "Waffle House Shooting Hoax" and "Waffle House False Flag". Lots of "good" stuff. No, I didn't click and you shouldn't either.
Old 22nd April 2018, 05:33 PM   #238
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
And they took his guns away! Before giving him to his father, who gave them back.
My god, it can't be that easy. It just can't.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2018, 07:08 PM   #239
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Arm the Waiters.
Arm the Waffles!
Old 22nd April 2018, 08:53 PM   #240
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Wow the gun nuts must be confused. A confiscated semi auto rifle that was returned to the household and used in a mass shooting by a white male that was stopped when an unarmed african american man, with no combat experience took the opportunity to disarm the shooter while he was reloading. Thank **** he didnt have a higher capacity mag or a strap... or pants.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events