ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Kentucky incidents , school shootings , shooting incidents

Old 22nd April 2018, 10:55 PM   #241
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Wow the gun nuts must be confused. A confiscated semi auto rifle that was returned to the household and used in a mass shooting by a white male that was stopped when an unarmed african american man, with no combat experience took the opportunity to disarm the shooter while he was reloading. Thank **** he didnt have a higher capacity mag or a strap... or pants.
It's still going to be Obama's fault.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2018, 11:12 PM   #242
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Arm the Waiters.
well, I would definitely give a bigger tip to a waiter who carries openly.
Old 23rd April 2018, 01:17 AM   #243
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
well, I would definitely give a bigger tip to a waiter who carries openly.
Then again I wouldn't frequent such an establishment - so possibly bigger tips but from a smaller market, I guess it's worth a shot
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2018, 01:55 AM   #244
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

From a BBC article about the Waffle House killings:

Quote:
A CNN article reports police were called to a public swimming pool
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43862504

I knew a swimming pool would be involved somewhere, the sooner these dangerous things can be banned the better.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2018, 04:30 AM   #245
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Four shot dead and possibly seven injured at a Waffle House in Tennessee. Gun used was an AR-15, and it was wrested away from the gunman. The shooter is on the run and naked.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/22/us/te...ing/index.html
How did this not happen in Florida?
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2018, 05:47 AM   #246
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

I’m trying to figure out how the naked guy, who left his vehicle at the scene, has not yet been captured. Taken refuge in a nearby nudist colony, perhaps?
Bikewer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2018, 08:32 AM   #247
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
How did this not happen in Florida?

Apparently, Tennessee was getting jealous that Florida and Texas are getting all the attention these days and was feeling left out. It's been the better part of a century since Scopes vs. Tennessee after all, and they've been coasting on it ever since.
luchog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2018, 08:49 AM   #248
crescent
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
I’m trying to figure out how the naked guy, who left his vehicle at the scene, has not yet been captured. Taken refuge in a nearby nudist colony, perhaps?
He was last seen wearing pants shortly after the shooting. Perhaps he had clothes stashed around somewhere.

Then again, nudists remain a possibility. You can't trust people who have no need of pockets.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2018, 09:12 AM   #249
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
He was last seen wearing pants shortly after the shooting. Perhaps he had clothes stashed around somewhere.

Then again, nudists remain a possibility. You can't trust people who have no need of pockets.
He returned to his apartment to get pants after the shooting. From there, he headed toward a wooded area. Because of the rain, tracking dogs couldn't follow a scent.

Police did not find guns in the apartment, but know that he had at least a handgun in his possession, so police assume that he has the gun.

Speculation time:

He's dead. He went into the woods, and, realizing that not only was this whole thing a bad idea, he just had his big, mean, gun taken away from him by an unarmed man. Feeling humiliated on top of the realization that he will be captured and probably killed, he killed himself. The police can't do a "regular" missing person/cadaver search in the woods, because they assume that they are dealing with an armed and dangerous man, so they have to be extremely cautious, and thus less efficient, in their search.

At least, that's my theory. Of course, he could be very much alive in those woods, but I can't believe he got very far. And I don't know how big the woods are. The impression I got based on news stories was something of only a square mile or so, but I really have no idea. I haven't checked any maps.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:28 AM   #250
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Disarmed by a black guy?

Good thing the cops didn't pull up while they were struggling. They would have pumped so many bullets into the black guy they'd be identifying him by DNA afterward.
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:30 AM   #251
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

He's been captured.

I'm pretty surprised we haven't been hearing about any activity by him on social media. At least I haven't.
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:40 AM   #252
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Arm the Waiters.
I mean, I wouldn't make it mandatory. But I do think that waiters - like people everywhere - should be free to decide for themselves whether a gun makes sense for them. And I do think that we should respect their decision, whatever it is.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2018, 12:21 PM   #253
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

A tweet from Ken "Popehat" White:
Quote:
Spree Killer Believed To Be Heavily Armed And With History Of Serious Mental Illness And Law Enforcement Contacts Arrested Peacefully Without Incident Upon Demonstrating To Officer Satisfaction That He Is Totally White
Ouch!
Old 23rd April 2018, 12:33 PM   #254
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Disarmed by a black guy?

Good thing the cops didn't pull up while they were struggling. They would have pumped so many bullets into the black guy they'd be identifying him by DNA afterward.
All cops are guilty to some people just like all black people are guilty to some others.
Old 23rd April 2018, 12:36 PM   #255
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
A tweet from Ken "Popehat" White:

Ouch!
Who is Popehat and how did he get this information? I see no link.
Old 23rd April 2018, 01:01 PM   #256
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Who is Popehat and how did he get this information? I see no link.
That he's captured? I posted a link above. The rest is just snark.

Popehat (Ken White) is a libertarian former federal prosecutor turned defense attorney. Worth following.
Old 23rd April 2018, 01:06 PM   #257
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

That he's captured? I posted a link above. The rest is just snark.

Popehat (Ken White) is a libertarian former federal prosecutor turned defense attorney. Worth following.
Yes, and he is the basic right wing Sovereign Citizen, so can this count as right wing terrorism yet?
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2018, 02:33 PM   #258
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
From a BBC article about the Waffle House killings:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43862504

I knew a swimming pool would be involved somewhere, the sooner these dangerous things can be banned the better.
The idea that man's father gave weapons to his son who was that mentally disturbed is horrible. That story surely has more to unfold.
Old 23rd April 2018, 02:35 PM   #259
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Yes, and he is the basic right wing Sovereign Citizen, so can this count as right wing terrorism yet?
No, it's looking a whole lot like mental illness, schizophrenia maybe. But the fact the victims were black and brown could mean some of the ideology was merged into his delusions.
Old 23rd April 2018, 05:23 PM   #260
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The idea that man's father gave weapons to his son who was that mentally disturbed is horrible. That story surely has more to unfold.
The father needs to have given up the key to the gunsafe (or whatever) at knife point yesterday, with a call after to 911 to verify same... or he needs to be facing charges.

I appreciate firearms, I respect firearms and I love target shooting.
But we've lost the plot, badly, and I'm damn tired of it.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2018, 06:59 PM   #261
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Sovereign Citizens are pretty whacky, but they generally don't believe they're being stalked by famous people and forced to commit crimes by hackers; that sounds like more of an actual psychosis.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2018, 12:09 PM   #262
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The NRA's TV network complained that James Shaw Jr., the hero who stopped the Waffle House shooter, didn't use a gun while doing so.

Quote:
NRA TV complained that James Shaw Jr., the citizen who heroically stopped the Waffle House shooter, was unarmed and could not completely incapacitate the assailant.

Shaw leapt to action during the shooting, knocking the gun out of the murderer’s hand and putting an end to the carnage.

But that wasn’t enough for the folks at NRA TV.

Host Grant Stinchfield did describe Shaw as a “hero.” But he couldn’t leave it at that.

“If someone was there with a gun, we wouldn’t be having a manhunt right now,” Stinchfield claimed.

It was a bizarre complaint he went back to later in the program. “Yes, a good guy with guts stopped a bad guy with a gun momentarily. But he didn’t stop him permanently. And this guy is still on the loose.”

https://shareblue.com/nra-waffle-house-james-shaw-jr/
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2018, 02:45 AM   #263
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump has praised Kanye West several times on Twitter but has yet to tweet a simple thank you to James Shaw Jr. the Waffle House hero.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2018, 10:25 AM   #264
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The NRA's TV network complained that James Shaw Jr., the hero who stopped the Waffle House shooter, didn't use a gun while doing so.

Had Shaw had a gun he'd have stood a good chance of being killed by the cops when they arrived.
Old 27th April 2018, 11:08 AM   #265
Checkmite

Had Shaw had a gun he'd have stood a good chance of being killed by the cops when they arrived.
A very good chance.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2018, 11:58 AM   #266
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
A very good chance.
Dude was black and within a mile of a police call. He was lucky not to be killed by cops, period.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2018, 12:04 PM   #267
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Dude was black and within a mile of a police call. He was lucky not to be killed by cops, period.
How seriously your point is taken is inversely proportional to how much hyperbole you use. Post accordingly.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2018, 12:23 PM   #268
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Trump has praised Kanye West several times on Twitter but has yet to tweet a simple thank you to James Shaw Jr. the Waffle House hero.
I think you will find that the so-called hero Shaw Jr. hasn't had a word of praise for Trump!
Old 27th April 2018, 01:08 PM   #269
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
How seriously your point is taken is inversely proportional to how much hyperbole you use. Post accordingly.
Quite right. he would only have been shot if he was carrying a phone.
Old 1st May 2018, 09:38 AM   #270
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

This should help the police with their excuses next time the murder a black guy carrying a mobile phone that they say they thought was a gun.

A gun that looks like a mobile phone. Same size as a Samsung.

https://www.idealconceal.com/

What can go wrong?
Old 1st May 2018, 06:02 PM   #271
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, a black guy, in Memphis with a gun shooting a white guy. What could possibly go wrong? I'm guessing that in this scenario, someone's hash browns were getting dressed with Mr. Shaw's brains when the cops showed up.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2018, 10:25 AM   #272
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Quite right. he would only have been shot if he was carrying a phone.

Or a toy truck.
luchog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2018, 11:30 AM   #273
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Or a toy truck.
Nonsense, black people get shot when someone else has a toy truck, and they are laying face down on the ground with their hands in the air. The most dangerous position to confront a black in.
Old 2nd May 2018, 11:36 AM   #274
3point14
Pi

Nonsense, black people get shot when someone else has a toy truck, and they are laying face down on the ground with their hands in the air. The most dangerous position to confront a black in.

Given that one can never be sure, probably better to take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.
Old 18th May 2018, 07:58 AM   #275
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Here we go again

https://abcnews.go.com/US/active-sho...ry?id=55258606
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 08:03 AM   #276
Checkmite

They are now reporting at least 8 killed. 8 more child-sacrifices for the Gun God.
Old 18th May 2018, 08:18 AM   #277
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.click2houston.com/news/p...fe-high-school

One student said a shotgun was used.

Also reports that the police got into a gun fight with the perp or perps.

Have to wait for solid info.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 08:18 AM   #278
Cain
Straussian

Nobody talks about all of the school shootings that have been prevented by the existence of guns.
Old 18th May 2018, 08:22 AM   #279
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Nobody talks about all of the school shootings that have been prevented by the existence of guns.
They should, unlike the school shootings that are prevented by the "shooter" not being able to obtain a gun totting hero gunning down a shooter would make great press. Perhaps it doesn't happen much,

Last edited by Lothian; 18th May 2018 at 08:27 AM.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 08:23 AM   #280
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
How would guns prevent something in an area that is gun free?

Is bet their existence has prevented many mass shootings at police stations however.

Your comment is like asking why fire extinguishers don't help forest fires, they don't have the chance to.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events